PDA

View Full Version : The Eastern Conference is worse than we thought!

L8kers4life
01-30-2015, 02:23 PM
We all know how terrible the Lakers are right now, if you want to truly understand how bad the Eastern Conference is, this stat will show you.

The Lakers are now 7-7 against the Eastern Conference (5-3 at home), but just 6-27 versus the West. That stat is very telling.

Thoughts? Is this overblown, is the East really this bad?

Sly Guy
01-30-2015, 02:27 PM
umm, 5-3 at home against the east is skewed because you're taking on teams on road trips....back to backs 3 in 4 nights, etc. Not only that, but it's such a small sample size, it's quite possible they've played bottom feeders this entire time. Even more, we're talking about one team, not all of them. For a true reflection, look a the west vs east record, the lakers are hardly representative of the entire conference.

Minimal
01-30-2015, 02:28 PM
Because Lakers=West right? Stupid /thread.

JEDean89
01-30-2015, 03:43 PM
So the premise is based on the lakers 14 game sample size against the east? is that a joke? but yes the east is horrendous, just not any better or worse than people thought. Outside the 5 good teams, I don't think there is one team that was supposed to be much better.

L8kers4life
01-30-2015, 03:59 PM
I know the sample size is small but having 7 wins in 14 games versus east as opposed to 6 wins in 33 games is a large indicator.

tredigs
01-30-2015, 04:03 PM
I've got the East at 103 and 163 V the West. That's about a 38% win percentage. Similar to last seasons #'s (East was 166-284), which was actually the highest conference discrepancy in the modern era I think (definitely in the last 2 decades).

L8kers4life
01-30-2015, 04:07 PM

Sorry cool guy... Didn't mean to offend the big bad eastern conference, you definitely have reason to be offended by this thread.

L8kers4life
01-30-2015, 04:09 PM

The lakers are second to last in the west, so the fact they have a 500 record is pretty telling. If the Lakers are 7-7, what do you think the top teams in the west have done against the east?

2-ONE-5
01-30-2015, 04:17 PM
it sports dude anyone can beat anyone. the awy the Lakers can play they can get really hot on occassion and win some games they shouldnt.

tredigs
01-30-2015, 04:18 PM
Pretty sure my post answered this thread, just saying.

Minimal
01-30-2015, 04:27 PM
Back in 2012-2013 season Miami Heat had 25-5 record against Western teams and 44-11 against Eastern teams. So they had a better record against West, which by your logic leads to say western conference was weaker than eastern that year. Does it really mean that? No! Do you understand how logic works?
Atlanta Hawks are 12-2 against West teams 26-6 against East, does it mean West sucks? No, it means they are good against West teams they played, nothing more.

The only way to prove which conference is stronger is to provide East vs West records as was done by Tredigs, no other way, remember this.

JasonJohnHorn
01-30-2015, 09:35 PM
The East is pretty bad. I mean, the Hawks are good... but if they had to play somebody from the South West pretty much every third game, they'd have about 4 or 5 more losses at least. That fact they are walking over so many other teams just speaks to the lack of parity in the East. The Bulls are good, the Cavs have a lot of talent... but the fact that the Raptors are one of only four teams with 30 wins speaks to the the fact that the East is so weak. If the Raptors were in the South West, they'd be under .500 right now. I'm a Raps fan, and I like seeing them win, but I know that is not a roster built for playoff success, and those guys in the SW are playing like it's the conference finals every night. The Warriors and Clippers too.

FlashBolt
01-30-2015, 10:59 PM
The East isn't "bad". I just think West is too good. If that makes sense.

JEDean89
01-31-2015, 03:15 PM
who are the 7 eastern conference playoff teams the lakers have beat?

Ty Fast
01-31-2015, 03:27 PM
The ECF could be in the 1st round if the cavs play the bulls.

archdevil84
01-31-2015, 03:37 PM
screw the bulls, i want to see a heat cavs ECF

*Silver&Black*
01-31-2015, 03:37 PM
Now post the record Hawks have against the West, which is the best record anyone has against the West in the entire NBA. You can spin any argument with one stat.

mightybosstone
01-31-2015, 03:40 PM
The sample size of a single team's record in half a season is not a good barometer for something like this. As tredigs said, the overall conference's record against the West is a much better stat. However, even with that, I kind of feel like the strength of the conference is relative. The top five teams in the East are actually quite good and would likely contend for a playoff spot in either conference.

Is this Eastern Conference worse than some of the other Eastern Conferences in the past? Maybe. But there's really no way to prove that. There's certainly a lot of talent in the league today, and while much of it is in the West, the East is not devoid of stars or great teams. Also, if an Eastern Conference team wins the championship, no one will care how the other 14 teams in the conference performed 20 years from now.

mightybosstone
01-31-2015, 03:43 PM

I don't have time to go back and look at every postseason in the history of the league, but I'm guessing that there are very, very few teams with losing records that have every played in a conference finals. Especially since the league expanded the postseason to 16 teams. For the Heat to make the ECF, they either need to get a hell of a lot better or play out of their minds for two series. I just don't see either happening.

murphturph
01-31-2015, 05:47 PM
The East is pretty bad. I mean, the Hawks are good... but if they had to play somebody from the South West pretty much every third game, they'd have about 4 or 5 more losses at least. That fact they are walking over so many other teams just speaks to the lack of parity in the East. The Bulls are good, the Cavs have a lot of talent... but the fact that the Raptors are one of only four teams with 30 wins speaks to the the fact that the East is so weak. If the Raptors were in the South West, they'd be under .500 right now. I'm a Raps fan, and I like seeing them win, but I know that is not a roster built for playoff success, and those guys in the SW are playing like it's the conference finals every night. The Warriors and Clippers too.

Really seems like you are not a raptor fan. Im pretty positive the raptors would have at least 500% record in west, and I think most people would agree. Raptors fans for sure would agree, but i guess you're not really a true fan of the Raps. The Raptors record against the west since the rudy gay trade is pretty darn good.

lamzoka
01-31-2015, 05:54 PM
This thread deserves a facepalm :facepalm:

Jsoul101
01-31-2015, 06:37 PM
East > West - Because Hawks have best standing
Stating the obvious like OP -
Don't need to watch the games to do these type of posts.

KnickNyKnick
01-31-2015, 10:18 PM
tells me lakers suck vs west, lakers suck vs east. lakers suck...

KnickNyKnick
01-31-2015, 10:18 PM
This thread deserves a facepalm :facepalm:

2x

2-ONE-5
02-02-2015, 01:18 PM

your not even gonna see the Heat in playoffs and then they wont be seeing their draft pick!