PDA

View Full Version : What the playoffs would look like if there were no conferences.

xnick5757
01-29-2015, 04:23 PM
Current System:

https://espngrantland.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/conferenceseeding1152.jpg?w=694

With No Conferences:

https://i.imgur.com/JfiIfMe.png

Can anyone honestly say that the current system is more entertaining that what removing the conferences would bring? Who really wants to watch 5 or 6 crappy Eastern teams battle it out?

Right now TWO of the eight Eastern teams in the playoffs have a winning percentage under .450 (Miami, Charlotte). Milwaukee is one game over .500. In the West, no playoff team is under a .570 winning percentage. Two teams over or at .500 (NO/OKC) are currently out of the playoffs.

Charlotte, the 8th seed in the East has the same record as the 11th seed in the West.

Just look at that bracket:

Warriors vs Bucks
Mavs vs. Raptors
Trailblazers vs. Cavs
Clippers vs. Suns

Grizzlies vs Pelicans
Rockets vs Spurs
Hawks vs Thunder
Wizards vs Bulls

And that is just the first round! Infinitely more entertaining than the matchups we will get under the current system.

Tony_Starks
01-29-2015, 04:29 PM
The problem is after the first round you'd have maybe 2 teams from the East left and by the time conference Finals came around it would be all west coast teams. Not sure how that would fly with hardcore fans......

Goose17
01-29-2015, 04:46 PM
The problem is after the first round you'd have maybe 2 teams from the East left and by the time conference Finals came around it would be all west coast teams. Not sure how that would fly with hardcore fans......

Nah. There's three teams in the east all capable of making the finals.

I don't see your point. If east teams want more representation or want to go deeper they would need to improve. That's how sports works.

Goose17
01-29-2015, 04:47 PM
All I know is there's 10 teams in the West that deserve to be in the playoffs and about 5 teams in the east that should be there. Maybe 6.

Kaner
01-29-2015, 04:54 PM
an anyone honestly say that the current system is more entertaining that what removing the conferences would bring? Who really wants to watch 5 or 6 crappy Eastern teams battle it out?
Lol 5 or 6? Are you being intentionally dishonest in your post or do you actually believe that their are only 2 or 3 teams in the east that aren't 'crappy'. Cleveland, Chicago, Atlanta, Raptors, and Washington which 2 or 3 of those teams do you also consider crappy to make your claim true?

Also looking at the new bracket how much better or more entertaining is it exactly? Literally 2 first rd series are improved with OKC playing ATL and and Dallas/Portland playing Raptors/Cleveland which is only 1 better series and an arguably worse 1 and then you have GS vs Milwaukee a much worse first rd matchup then what we already will have and Memphis vs New Orleans is alot less exciting then Memphis vs San Antonio. How much better of a playoff would this be really? Especially with all of the established rivalries in each conference that will be missed.

Right now TWO of the eight Eastern teams in the playoffs have a winning percentage under .450 (Miami, Charlotte). Milwaukee is one game over .500. In the West, no playoff team is under a .570 winning percentage. Two teams over or at .500 (NO/OKC) are currently out of the playoffs.

Charlotte, the 8th seed in the East has the same record as the 11th seed in the West. Yes the bottom two teams making the playoffs in the east suck. Something that has almost always been the case with the NBA playoffs. Wasn't it just like 8 years ago the first time an 8th seed advanced to the 2nd rd

dtmagnet
01-29-2015, 05:01 PM
No. There are conferences for travel purposes, it can not and should not happen.

cdnsportsfan
01-30-2015, 03:58 PM
Advertising dollars alone would ensure this never takes place, the league cannot afford to lose the entire East Coast population for the postseason. It's not the most likely scenario but there's still a chance it could happen, especially in the later rounds. For that reason this won't happen.

Vinylman
01-30-2015, 04:07 PM
If there truly were no conferences the seeding would still be different than you have shown because it would be a true round robin when scheduling. East teams would be further down than they are now...

Minimal
01-30-2015, 04:09 PM
No. There are conferences for travel purposes, it can not and should not happen.
oh cmon, travelling is not the problem, its just the way playoffs work and worked before, thats why they wont change it. Some series will need for teams to travel just 1-2 times and it doesn't make a big difference if you travel say from Chicago to Miami, or from Chicago to Houston.

tredigs
01-30-2015, 04:15 PM

Irrelevant in a playoff series. They have private jets with their own beds anyway. This isn't a minor league baseball team traveling by bus.

You could still have teams play a majority of their games within proximity to them in the regular season, and still run the playoffs with this system. I'd venture that the reason they don't is because they're scared of losing East Coast viewership after round 1.

Jamiecballer
01-30-2015, 04:24 PM
I think he meant no conferences in general.

Bruno
01-30-2015, 04:34 PM
Goldberry, love that guy.

top 16 should make it.

dtmagnet
01-30-2015, 04:59 PM
Irrelevant in a playoff series. They have private jets with their own beds anyway. This isn't a minor league baseball team traveling by bus.

You could still have teams play a majority of their games within proximity to them in the regular season, and still run the playoffs with this system. I'd venture that the reason they don't is because they're scared of losing East Coast viewership after round 1.

Regular season decides seeding, can't have Eastern teams play Western teams only twice and still call it fair to just take the top 16 teams. Hence my point, you can't have a true balanced schedule for the regular season because of the travel time.

ISIAH_THOMAS
01-30-2015, 05:04 PM
11 teams would come from the west. East would have 5

tredigs
01-30-2015, 05:37 PM
Regular season decides seeding, can't have Eastern teams play Western teams only twice and still call it fair to just take the top 16 teams. Hence my point, you can't have a true balanced schedule for the regular season because of the travel time.

And why not? It's more fair than one conference both having a harder schedule and needing more wins to get in, correct?

Jamiecballer
01-30-2015, 07:07 PM
And why not? It's more fair than one conference both having a harder schedule and needing more wins to get in, correct?
Nope.

HoopsDrive
01-30-2015, 07:15 PM
I'd rather see the best teams make the playoffs. Even if the schedule itself isn't balanced since East teams would still have a much easier go, having the best teams record wise go to the playoffs would be more than fair.

Talking purely about the competition format, why would anyone want to see a subpar team make it over another that has a better record, better team on paper, all while doing it on a harder conference? Really, I don't understand that.

This topic has been discussed plenty of times though... not sure what else there is to add to this.

GamerFTW
01-30-2015, 07:22 PM
Advertising dollars alone would ensure this never takes place, the league cannot afford to lose the entire East Coast population for the postseason. It's not the most likely scenario but there's still a chance it could happen, especially in the later rounds. For that reason this won't happen.

All the east coast teams that didn't make it would be replaced by the west coast teams that made it, full of people who would pay to see their team play. also, the teams that would be in the playoffs in this new system include all current teams minus Miami and Charlotte, both who are under .500. not only would all teams be over .500, but only two teams currently in the playoffs wouldn't make it (rightfully so). they wouldn't be losing the entire east.

Goose17
01-30-2015, 07:26 PM
Nope.

Why not?

Sadds The Gr8
01-31-2015, 01:41 PM
Good. The best teams should get in anyway. That's what I love about soccers champions league.

Jamiecballer
01-31-2015, 01:57 PM
Why not?
Just ****ing with ya

GrumpyOldMan
01-31-2015, 02:27 PM
My favorite team is in the East, but I would love to see the best 16 make it. Travel in playoffs shouldn't be a problem. There seems to be 2 or 3 days between games and it's not like they travel business class.
Eventually I would love to see a completely balanced schedule, but don't know if that will happen in my lifetime or not. I'm in favor of giving us fans the best product possible.

HoopsDrive
02-03-2015, 01:05 PM
I was listening to a local sports show that proposed the NBA should adopt a crossover rule similar to the one the CFL has.

Not sure how it works in the CFL exactly but the way they described it, if a team has a sub .500 record and is still in a playoff spot in their conference, they are bumped by the best team on the other conference not in the playoffs assuming that team has a better record.

If we take standings as of today, that would mean the Heat and the Bobcats are overtaken by the Pelicans and the Thunder respectively in the east as #7 and #8 seeds.

This is simple, doesn't require the headache of changing schedules, doesn't disrupt the traditional format of divisions and conferences, and the weaker conference is not at risk of being completely decimated in the first round, or even left out of the finals since the stronger conference will crossover their weaker teams (not this year I know but in most cases, you won't see a team like the Thunder being a #10 seed).

diu9leilomo
02-03-2015, 03:24 PM
i'd say keep the conference, take out divisions, change up the schedule so every team (both conference) has to play each other 3 times. This will be fair and square