PDA

View Full Version : Who currently has elite tools?

dodgersuck
01-29-2015, 04:15 PM
Not necessarily elite all around player but who has an elite tool in the NBA right now? When I say elite I mean best (or right up there) in the NBA right now and really doesn't have a weakness in that area.

Off the top of my head I would say Curry is an elite shooter as well as Korver.

Is John Wall an elite passer? DeAndre Jordan an elite rebounder? Anthony Davis an elite defender?

I'm asking because I am an NBA fan but rarely get to to see many teams and am shaky with advanced stats. Thought it might turn into an interesting discussion to look at who is really good at one particular thing and who is truly elite.

RiLoc
01-29-2015, 05:18 PM
Kobe is elite at taking terrible contested shots. Does that count? Through December 19th Kobe had taken more contested midrange jumpers than 12 teams. And he's not above average at making them. (https://twitter.com/tomhaberstroh/status/546009834219655168)

FraziersKnicks
01-29-2015, 05:23 PM
Kyrie Irving is an elite ball handler and finisher in the paint. I would actually go as far as saying he has the best handle and layup finishing ability in the entire league.

Jeffy25
01-29-2015, 05:31 PM
Kobe is elite at taking terrible contested shots. Does that count? Through December 19th Kobe had taken more contested midrange jumpers than 12 teams. And he's not above average at making them. (https://twitter.com/tomhaberstroh/status/546009834219655168)

And he's missed how many games?

Sanjay
01-29-2015, 06:08 PM
Not necessarily elite all around player but who has an elite tool in the NBA right now? When I say elite I mean best (or right up there) in the NBA right now and really doesn't have a weakness in that area.

Off the top of my head I would say Curry is an elite shooter as well as Korver.

Is John Wall an elite passer? DeAndre Jordan an elite rebounder? Anthony Davis an elite defender?

I'm asking because I am an NBA fan but rarely get to to see many teams and am shaky with advanced stats. Thought it might turn into an interesting discussion to look at who is really good at one particular thing and who is truly elite.

I don't know if Wall is an elite passer, although he leads the league in assists. I think it is difficult to be an elite passer, I would say LeBron, Paul and Rondo are elite passers. I think Jordan is an elite rebounder and also shot blocker and finisher at the rim. I would classify an elite defender as one who can defend multiple positions (Green, Allen e.t.c.) so I would say players like Davis and Jordan are elite 'big man' defenders.

Off the top of my head, I think Parker is elite and getting into the paint and scoring, Durant and Harden are elite scorers, Klay is an elite shooter, Aldridge is an elite mid-range shooter, Matthews is an elite perimeter defender, T. Chandler is an elite rim protector and LeBron is elite at almost everything lol.