PDA

View Full Version : Not quite a #1

Sactown
01-29-2015, 01:05 AM
Frequently I think about players in this league that aren't quite a #1 option , but because of their need for consistent touches or simply because they can't play without the ball in their hands are unable to be #2 options.

Is Kevin Love one of those players?

What about Westbrook?

Melo?

CP3?

LMA?

Not saying any of these players fit under this catagory or not, just wondering what you guys think..

Are there players in this league that can't take a backseat to another star because their will be a large drop off in production, and aren't capable of winning as the best player on a team ..

If so who are they? And why is that? Are there any players in history who have been that way? Why or why not

lol, please
01-29-2015, 01:26 AM
Love and Paul are good ones. I would say LMA and Melo can be #1's in the right situation.

Ezio
01-29-2015, 01:26 AM
You left out the biggest one, Paul George.

tredigs
01-29-2015, 02:49 AM
There's a big difference between "#1 option" (and what that means), and being a teams best player. I'd start the debate with that.

IKnowHoops
01-29-2015, 02:57 AM
If Chauncy can win being a #1, anyone of these guys can be a #1 and win. It just matters how good your teammates, chemistry, and coaching is. The overall talent of a team and its ability to play together far outweighs the ability of your #1 player. Its been proven time and time again.

Detroit over Shaq and Kobe
Spurs over the Heatles

These series prove that.

Best scenario is to have both.

Birds Celtics
Showtime Lakers
Jordans Bulls

These are perfect examples of having a great #1, Great Chemistry, and great teammates. The trifecta is what makes these the best teams in history.

KnicksorBust
01-29-2015, 07:01 AM
Frequently I think about players in this league that aren't quite a #1 option , but because of their need for consistent touches or simply because they can't play without the ball in their hands are unable to be #2 options.

What about Westbrook?

Melo?

CP3?

LMA?

Not saying any of these players fit under this catagory or not, just wondering what you guys think..

Are there players in this league that can't take a backseat to another star because their will be a large drop off in production, and aren't capable of winning as the best player on a team ..

If so who are they? And why is that? Are there any players in history who have been that way? Why or why not

Love is the only one who shouldnt be a #1. The rest have all proven they can carry teams to great records.

Goose17
01-29-2015, 07:39 AM
I'm assuming you mean #1 offensive option. So the teams best scorer? Not necessarily the teams #1 player?

sheesh
01-29-2015, 06:30 PM
Westbrook is flat out the #1 option in OKC. Whether you like it or not Brooks' offense allows Westbrook free reign to dribble and shoot.

After Durant's first scoring title season Westbrook became the #1 option for that team.

Durant has basically won 3 league scoring titles as the 2nd option.

Sanjay
01-29-2015, 07:34 PM

What about Westbrook?

Melo?

CP3?

LMA?

Although Love is the third option for the Cavs and I think he would be better as the number two guy somewhere else, I would say he is one of these players because he should still be able to contribute more. Westbrook takes too many shots, but he is a good second option and he has had games with lots of assists which shows he can get others involved. Melo and CP3 are the number one guys at the Knicks and Clippers and also were for the Nuggets and New Orleans Hornets respectively? I think neither Aldridge nor Lillard is definitely the first option on the Trail Blazers, but if Aldridge is not shooting the ball well he can help the team in other areas such as rebounding. M. Gasol is having a great season and is a MVP candidate, but I just do not think he can be the best player on a championship team, I think they need a top guard or small forward scorer on their team.

tredigs
01-29-2015, 10:02 PM
Love is the only one who shouldnt be a #1. The rest have all proven they can carry teams to great records.

The Wolves were actually very good with him on the floor, just struggled mightily when he sat. And even with that, he would have taken them to the playoffs were he in the Eastern Conference and people would have an entirely different view of him.

Context is overlooked with Love. His defense lacks, but as an offensive option, he's easily good enough to be the #1 option on a playoff team.

cahawk
02-03-2015, 02:46 AM
You just described kobe.....shooting 37% & 29% 3's but taking most fga's in the NBA.