PDA

View Full Version : Why did Morey put Tarik Black on waivers?

JasonJohnHorn
01-28-2015, 08:09 PM
I'm hoping you guys can clear this up for me. I haven't actually gotten to see Tarik Black play at all, and I know he's gotten very limited minutes, but in the minutes he has gotten, he looks like the best rebounder among this year's rookie crop, and he isn't a guy that takes stupid shots (I think he's leading rookies in FG%). He seems like the kind of guy who would really be helpful to have when your bigs get injured (which seems often for Houston), and eventually turn into a quality rotation player to back up your bigs. Why give up on a rookie who seems so promising, especially after you just dumped a guy like Asik? When big men are such a prize in this league, it seems like they could have gotten something in return for him, even if it's just one or two second rounds picks. Trading him, though, seemed like a mistake as he's showing the potential to be a stud on the glass.

Obviously my view is limited because I've only gotten a look at his stats and not his game, and we all know how important the eye test is. I noticed he gets a couple turnover per36, but that doesn't seem unreasonable. Is he a liability on defense? Is he bad with the ball? Why wouldn't Morey hold onto this chip or at least cash it in for something? It seems like the Lakers may have picked up a piece that they can use in the future for nothing here.

jerellh528
01-28-2015, 08:16 PM
Aaron Rodgers> morey

Verbal Christ
01-28-2015, 08:21 PM
Odd guy out. Guaranteed money to Joey Dorsey meant Black had to go to make room for Smith. Liked by thhe fanbase, hard worker as stated good rebounder. No offensive game yet and his defense is sketchy. Good player for a rook.

Did yall know that 75% of Morey drafted players are still in the league?

Hawkeye15
01-28-2015, 08:25 PM
Odd guy out. Guaranteed money to Joey Dorsey meant Black had to go to make room for Smith. Liked by thhe fanbase, hard worker as stated good rebounder. No offensive game yet and his defense is sketchy. Good player for a rook.

god damnit, when is he gone haha?

Tony_Starks
01-28-2015, 08:33 PM
Because Morey is a genius....

JEDean89
01-28-2015, 09:11 PM

how many of which are on his team?

RiLoc
01-28-2015, 09:31 PM
Tarik Black had a non-guaranteed contract, which kept the Rockets under the luxury tax threshold. Waiving any other player would have put the Rockets over the tax threshold.

Verbal Christ
01-28-2015, 10:09 PM

How do you think he acquired Harden and Howard? All while getting out from 2 max injury deals in Tmac and Yao.

Assets baby. Assets.

alexander_37
01-28-2015, 10:44 PM

Yeah Morey sucks because he can't expand his roster to 24 players.

L8kers4life
01-28-2015, 10:49 PM
How do you think he acquired Harden and Howard? All while getting out from 2 max injury deals in Tmac and Yao.

Assets baby. Assets.

Very smart GM who makes bad decisions when under the gun. Off the top of my head, cutting Black, not resigning Chandler Parsons was really stupid, getting rid of a really good back up center and pg (as well as a first round pick) so you can sign Bosh also hurt. Morey is to concerned with the big name free agent, but he also lets some pretty good assets go. When he gets them out of the second round I may change my tune.

rockets-fan
01-28-2015, 11:00 PM
Very smart GM who makes bad decisions when under the gun. Off the top of my head, cutting Black, not resigning Chandler Parsons was really stupid, getting rid of a really good back up center and pg (as well as a first round pick) so you can sign Bosh also hurt. Morey is to concerned with the big name free agent, but he also lets some pretty good assets go. When he gets them out of the second round I may change my tune.

So you rather him keep the same exact team that got beat in the first round?

Wait wait wait, so cutting black makes him a bad GM? I didn't know black was this amazing that his being cut makes a GM bad.

Oh you wanted him to resign Parsons...it was obvious parsons wanted a max deal as the man in Dallas and he's not living up to it IMO. Ariza has turned this team into a solid solid defensive team. Parsons isn't missed at all even though he was my favorite player.

Keep Asik? A player that didn't want to be here and made it clear that he wanted to get traded? We got a first out of him what more could you want from a guy who want to be traded?

Lin???? Hahahahahaha yea

Dude you have to give credit where credit is due. This years Rockets are a better team....because of Morey and Harden playing D

L8kers4life
01-28-2015, 11:32 PM

Wait wait wait, so cutting black makes him a bad GM? I didn't know black was this amazing that his being cut makes a GM bad.

Oh you wanted him to resign Parsons...it was obvious parsons wanted a max deal as the man in Dallas and he's not living up to it IMO. Ariza has turned this team into a solid solid defensive team. Parsons isn't missed at all even though he was my favorite player.

Keep Asik? A player that didn't want to be here and made it clear that he wanted to get traded? We got a first out of him what more could you want from a guy who want to be traded?

Lin???? Hahahahahaha yea

Dude you have to give credit where credit is due. This years Rockets are a better team....because of Morey and Harden playing D

Let me start by saying you are in a worse position standings wise this year vs last, as it stands now, you will not have home court in the first round. That is a improvement?

Secondly, undrafted or not, Black is the best rebounding rookie based on per 36 numbers. And sure Ariza looked great in the beginning, but now he is shooting a career low, and it is only getting worse. Lakers got a steal Black, and if you have seen him play on the Lakers you would agree.

Take your goggles off bro, you don't think Parsons would help this team? Did you not let Parsons go because you thought you were signing Bosh? Parsons is needed to stetch the floor. Ariza is a good shooter, Parsons is the better and younger player.

Lastly, Dwight has been hurt all year, in and out of the lineup, you don't think ASIK would help. Lin, I will give you that one, he is terrible, but again, thanks for the first round pick.

I get that your a Rockets fan, but come on, your team is not better than last year. Your team had like the 4th or 5th easiest schedule first half, it only gets worse from here.

L8kers4life
01-28-2015, 11:33 PM

Lin???? Hahahahahaha yea

Fail, Rockets are not a better team this year, make a poll lets see who thinks they are better.

L8kers4life
01-28-2015, 11:35 PM
Rockets have liabilities at PG, SF, backup center, backup pg and PF, how is this a better team? We will see come playoff time.

L8kers4life
01-28-2015, 11:37 PM
I love how Rockets fan makes the Parsons situation seem like nothing, when the whole plan was to sign Bosh and then bring parsons back, but since that didn't work, your now better off with Ariza, LOL.

CluTcH_c1tY
01-28-2015, 11:41 PM
Worry about the Lakers bro. You realize you responded to yourself back to back to back? Anyways Black is nice player glad he found a home.

L8kers4life
01-29-2015, 12:01 AM
Worry about the Lakers bro. You realize you responded to yourself back to back to back? Anyways Black is nice player glad he found a home.

Oh my bad, I thought this was a NBA forum, where people discuss the topic presented? GTFO

rockets-fan
01-29-2015, 12:04 AM
Rockets are a better team...worse in the standings by 1 position but anyone who knows anything about basketball sees the improvement. Didn't most people have the Rockets missing the playoffs after parsons left?!?

We didn't let him go to sign bosh...even after bosh signed with miami we had the chance to sign parsons and didn't becuse HE IS NOT WORTH THE MAX. That is they let him go. Ariza had done fine replacing him.

Black is a very serviceable player but he's not a make or break player get real.

I have no goggles on...I know a good team when I see it and this years Rockets are better and more balanced.

I'll enjoy our "first round exit" while yall enjoy the lottery again and again and again.

/rant

L8kers4life
01-29-2015, 12:22 AM
Rockets are a better team...worse in the standings by 1 position but anyone who knows anything about basketball sees the improvement. Didn't most people have the Rockets missing the playoffs after parsons left?!?

We didn't let him go to sign bosh...even after bosh signed with miami we had the chance to sign parsons and didn't becuse HE IS NOT WORTH THE MAX. That is they let him go. Ariza had done fine replacing him.

Black is a very serviceable player but he's not a make or break player get real.

I have no goggles on...I know a good team when I see it and this years Rockets are better and more balanced.

I'll enjoy our "first round exit" while yall enjoy the lottery again and again and again.

/rant

Says the guy who's team has won what 2 rings? It's been 2 and 1/2 decades since you last one a championship, so its not too smart attacking a Laker fan. Lakers have missed the playoffs 4 times in their history, so try another argument. It doesn't matter, your team is not better than last year, and Dwight is declining pretty fast now. If you think your team is better without their 3rd best player from last year and better depth, than I must agree you have a better team than last year. What ever makes you feel better.

JEDean89
01-29-2015, 12:27 AM
I'll admit I didn't think the Rockets would be as good as they've been. Yes Morey is good at drafting, he clearly knows how to find value but he's had some talent that could really help this team that he's gotten rid of for next to nothing. Dragic, Lowry, Parsons, and now Black should have netted some of these assets he so dearly covets. He is a good GM, he pulled off the best trade in the decade and has an extremely flexible roster. Houston will contend for a long time but it's not too hard to build a 50+ win team, tons of teams do it, it's hard to get that 50+ win team into the 60+ win range, that's a good GM, when that day comes I'll sing his praises, I don't mind the guy, I'm just a Nuggets fan who've seen perennial 50+ win team lose perennially in the 1st/2nd round and am not impressed with it. Morey's done an excellent job so far, he has the assets to make a number of moves to tweak this team but the Rockets just aren't there yet.

Verbal Christ
01-29-2015, 12:43 AM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/michael-jordan-laughing/ @ all Laker fans going to the rings argument and trying HARD to discredit Morey. Yea ignore all the injuries and new players and cherry pick your argument its entertaining.

L8kers4life
01-29-2015, 12:54 AM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/michael-jordan-laughing/ @ all Laker fans going to the rings argument and trying HARD to discredit Morey. Yea ignore all the injuries and new players and cherry pick your argument its entertaining.

STFU, your the one who said while you Laker fans go to the lottery again and again. Don't bring up the lottery if you don't want to hear about rings. That's the way this things work around here

Verbal Christ
01-29-2015, 12:57 AM
STFU, your the one who said while you Laker fans go to the lottery again and again. Don't bring up the lottery if you don't want to hear about rings. That's the way this things work around here

HA "dont quote me boy cuz i aint say ****" your so salty your getting confused, iodine poisoning? LOL

edit: doesnt laker fan want to suck and go to the lottery and all that jazz? just not in this argument right? Not convenient? LOL

rockets-fan
01-29-2015, 01:16 AM
I said the lottery comment not Verbal Christ....

And I'm speaking about the present state of our teams. You wanna bring up the past, yes all hail the mighty lakers we all know they're kne of the best franchises to ever exist and no that is not sarcasim...

I'm concerned about the now....

Htownballa1622
01-29-2015, 01:30 AM
Like it has been said.

Numbers game. Wanted to pick up Smith and Black cut for money purposes. Good kid though. I wish him well.

Btw...peep the sig. We were supposed to be bad I thought? :confused:

PowerHouse
01-29-2015, 01:53 AM
Sometimes GMs just screw up.

Not to suggest Black will end up on the same caliber but why did not only one but two teams waive Bruce Bowen? 3 all-defensive 2nd teams, 5 all-defensive 1st teams, once leading the league in 3pt % and 3 rings later those GMs were probably kicking themselves.

Ariza's Better
01-29-2015, 02:05 AM
I'll admit I didn't think the Rockets would be as good as they've been. Yes Morey is good at drafting, he clearly knows how to find value but he's had some talent that could really help this team that he's gotten rid of for next to nothing. Dragic, Lowry, Parsons, and now Black should have netted some of these assets he so dearly covets. He is a good GM, he pulled off the best trade in the decade and has an extremely flexible roster. Houston will contend for a long time but it's not too hard to build a 50+ win team, tons of teams do it, it's hard to get that 50+ win team into the 60+ win range, that's a good GM, when that day comes I'll sing his praises, I don't mind the guy, I'm just a Nuggets fan who've seen perennial 50+ win team lose perennially in the 1st/2nd round and am not impressed with it. Morey's done an excellent job so far, he has the assets to make a number of moves to tweak this team but the Rockets just aren't there yet.
1. Lowery wasn't let go for nothing. I have no idea where you got that from.
2. Judging by people's reaction apparently Black's an all star.

Chronz
01-29-2015, 02:05 AM
The same reason he does most of his trades
For the UPGRADE

IndyRealist
01-29-2015, 02:17 AM
In before someone gets banned.

lakerfan85
01-29-2015, 02:26 AM
Tarik Black is a scrub.. Discussion ended!! What the **** is up with the lame *** threads around here lately??

Clippersfan86
01-29-2015, 02:26 AM
Inb4thelock.

Lakers + Giants
01-29-2015, 03:25 AM
I don't see how Tarik Black is even making headlines here. I really don't see it. I know he's a laker and all, but what has he done?

PurpleLynch
01-29-2015, 07:42 AM
Actually I'm glad Morey did that.
Why?Making room for Smith.
All I know is that we got a nice rook for nothing. Just hope he'll get more minutes this season,he seems very good.
Hope next year will start him as C and Randle as PF.

PurpleLynch
01-29-2015, 07:49 AM
I don't see how Tarik Black is even making headlines here. I really don't see it. I know he's a laker and all, but what has he done?

He's third among the best rookies rebounders,first in field goal made. Limited minutes,but he showed that he has potential. Take good shots and rebound well. Scott should use him more,just to see if he can sustain a starter role.
He's also seventh in NBA.com Rookie ladder. http://www.nba.com/2015/news/features/scott_howard_cooper/01/28/2014-15-rookie-ladder-week-14/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChPOb-tcitQ Game with the Lakers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhjdCcmXzlU Game with Rockets

Chrisclover
01-29-2015, 08:37 AM

Lin???? Hahahahahaha yea

It really took me by surprise that the Rockets didn't decline in the slightest when people expected them to. Harden 's evolution is the key here.

mightybosstone
01-29-2015, 10:44 AM

Tarik Black had a non-guaranteed contract, which kept the Rockets under the luxury tax threshold. Waiving any other player would have put the Rockets over the tax threshold.
This. It had nothing to do with any kind of a talent assessment of Black. He was the only guy still on the roster with a non-guaranteed contract. Rockets fans loved Black and so did the team and the front office. It was strictly a financial decision. I loved guys like Black and Covington, but when you have roster restrictions and financial restrictions, sometimes decent rotational guys have to be cut.

This is just ignorant. Have you seen Parsons this season? The guy isn't remotely worth that contract he just signed. In the meantime, they got a much better defender and a player who fits the Rockets needs just as well in Trevor Ariza for nearly half the price.

And Morey rarely ever lets good assets go for nothing. I guarantee he was shopping Black and Dorsey until the last possible second before adding Smith. But no one took the bait. But in the past, he's almost always gotten assets in return whenever he's had to get rid of players, like he did with Alston, McGrady, Ariza, Brooks and Lowry. The only two times I can recall him getting rid of really good players to get nothing in return were Scola and Dragic. But that offseason, everyone was prepared for the Rockets to tank (including Morey) until he pulled off the miracle deal to get Harden.

mightybosstone
01-29-2015, 10:49 AM
He's third among the best rookies rebounders,first in field goal made. Limited minutes,but he showed that he has potential. Take good shots and rebound well. Scott should use him more,just to see if he can sustain a starter role.
He's also seventh in NBA.com Rookie ladder. http://www.nba.com/2015/news/features/scott_howard_cooper/01/28/2014-15-rookie-ladder-week-14/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChPOb-tcitQ Game with the Lakers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhjdCcmXzlU Game with Rockets

I loved Black. Right after he got cut, I was a hell of a lot less happy with the acquisition of Smith. But if cutting Black is what you have to do to add a potentially significant rotational guy for your playoff run in Smith, then you have to do it. The risk is obviously there, but the potential reward is too great to pass up. As much as I loved Black and as much as I criticized Smith over the last few years (and still do), I would have done the same thing in Morey's shoes. And so would any other competent NBA GM.

Hawkeye15
01-29-2015, 10:58 AM

Assets baby. Assets.

oh I remember, just wondering how long you have him. Though I could just flip to one of the 20 sites that has salary cap detail and look myself...

IgglesFanInCO
01-29-2015, 11:09 AM
Let me start by saying you are in a worse position standings wise this year vs last, as it stands now, you will not have home court in the first round. That is a improvement?

Secondly, undrafted or not, Black is the best rebounding rookie based on per 36 numbers. And sure Ariza looked great in the beginning, but now he is shooting a career low, and it is only getting worse. Lakers got a steal Black, and if you have seen him play on the Lakers you would agree.

Take your goggles off bro, you don't think Parsons would help this team? Did you not let Parsons go because you thought you were signing Bosh? Parsons is needed to stetch the floor. Ariza is a good shooter, Parsons is the better and younger player.

Lastly, Dwight has been hurt all year, in and out of the lineup, you don't think ASIK would help. Lin, I will give you that one, he is terrible, but again, thanks for the first round pick.

I get that your a Rockets fan, but come on, your team is not better than last year. Your team had like the 4th or 5th easiest schedule first half, it only gets worse from here.

:eyebrow: he's averaging like 2 less boards per 36 than Jusuf Nurkic and Nurk plays next to a rebounding stat stuffer who doesnt know how to box out. Not even close

not to mention Nurkic being significantly better in literally every other category as well, but whatever. Reboundings not close, that much is blatantly obvious.

mightybosstone
01-29-2015, 11:38 AM
Says the guy who's team has won what 2 rings? It's been 2 and 1/2 decades since you last one a championship, so its not too smart attacking a Laker fan. Lakers have missed the playoffs 4 times in their history, so try another argument.
What does this have to do with anything? It's completely irrelevant to the argument, and quit taking credit for the accomplishments of a franchise in which you had absolutely zero to do with. It's cheap, it's pathetic, and you're capable of a better basketball argument than that.

It doesn't matter, your team is not better than last year, and Dwight is declining pretty fast now. If you think your team is better without their 3rd best player from last year and better depth, than I must agree you have a better team than last year. What ever makes you feel better.
The Rockets are three games better than they were at this time last year despite Dwight missing roughly one-third of the games this year. How are they not a better basketball team?