PDA

View Full Version : The future of the SG position

JEDean89
01-26-2015, 11:12 PM
So just looking around the league and especially the last few drafts and this upcoming one, it is becoming apparent the SG position is turning into the least deep position in the league, which previously was the C position. There is not 1 SG expected to go in the top 10 this year, Stauskas was the highest one at 8 last year (unless you think Wiggins is a SG, I believe he will be a SF ultimately), 2013 had McLemore, Dipo and KCP, 2012 had Dion and Beal. Of all these names mentioned, only Dipo and Beal are looking like solid NBA players, neither looks like a future MVP candidate.

The other thing is that there are a lot of guys who would probably be SG's if they played 10 years ago, but are now all PG's. Exum, DeAngelo Russel and Emanuel Mudiay, MCW all carry prototypical SG size but consider themselves PG's and are being sold as such. To me, all the good SG size talent are being told to play PG and it makes me wonder where the SG's have all gone. We got like 3 or 4 really SG's in the league right now, its clearly as shallow as any position has been in recent memory. What do you think the future of the SG position is? Can maybe a Wiggins redefine it? A 6' 8" hyperathletic but not too bulky guard? Are his handles good enough? Obviously Klay and Harden give you some reference but to me this position is due for an overhaul the way that the PG and PF positions have been.

jerellh528
01-26-2015, 11:14 PM
This thread is about 5 years late. I thought you were going to be talking about how it's gotten much deeper

albertajaysfan
01-26-2015, 11:24 PM
I think most teams now realize the importance of two solid ball handlers in the back court. I see a larger blurring of the lines between the guard positions. Similar to how stretch 4s have blurred the lines at the forward positions.

JEDean89
01-26-2015, 11:31 PM
This thread is about 5 years late. I thought you were going to be talking about how it's gotten much deeper

Hmmm, with Kobe gone and Wade on the way out, I see Harden, Thompson, DeRozan, Butler and Beal as the only really good SG's, thats pretty weak for the top 5 guys.

InRoseWeTrust
01-27-2015, 12:10 AM
With more and more ball dominant point guards, it seems like a solid 3 and D guy is all a lot of teams need to hold down the position.

tm95835
01-27-2015, 02:08 AM
With more and more ball dominant point guards, it seems like a solid 3 and D guy is all a lot of teams need to hold down the position.

Exactly. The name itself is shooting-guard, spells out 3 and D. Defend your man and catch and shoot. If I'm building a team Klay Thompson would easily be my SG, only because I don't want a SG carrying my team. Put him next to a ball dominant player, a Lebron/Durant/Curry and he's fine. Harden is great but he basically plays pg for his team

*Silver&Black*
01-27-2015, 02:29 AM
There is a lot of shooting guards in the league, they all want to be called 'PGs' today.

Chrisclover
01-27-2015, 03:01 AM
Hmmm, with Kobe gone and Wade on the way out, I see Harden, Thompson, DeRozan, Butler and Beal as the only really good SG's, thats pretty weak for the top 5 guys.
Actually I may be spoiled by the superstars who started delivering impressive numbers from Day 1. Now I am not that into DeRozan and Butler who were like blue collars in the rookie years.

JV35
01-27-2015, 03:08 AM
Jordan with a longer wingspan who can hit 50+% on 3's.

beasted86
01-27-2015, 08:44 AM
Yes, if you're still looking for the 25+ PPG SG of like 10 years ago when you had Kobe, Wade, Iverson, Ray Allen, etc, all playing at that level, then yeah, that's dead with the birth of the scoring ball-dominant PG.

Jeffy25
01-27-2015, 10:19 AM
I think most teams now realize the importance of two solid ball handlers in the back court. I see a larger blurring of the lines between the guard positions. Similar to how stretch 4s have blurred the lines at the forward positions.

This.

I think if, for example, the Sixers had another good ball handler, then MCW would really be a 2 guard.

I think teams are going to start carrying two ball handling guards.

The days of the chucking 2 guard appear to be over. You are either AI or you are Lebron (style of a player)

I also feel like the days of the true point guard, who passes first are dying off. Less Stocktons of the world (of course, he was unique)

C the G
01-27-2015, 10:56 AM
I think the game is changing to where guys like Klay and Korver bring more chemistry and balance to a team than guys like Mitch Ritch or Ray Allen used to bring back in the day...I don't know I could be wrong, but I think the SG position as we know it is slowly fading away

Hawkeye15
01-27-2015, 12:51 PM
Yes, if you're still looking for the 25+ PPG SG of like 10 years ago when you had Kobe, Wade, Iverson, Ray Allen, etc, all playing at that level, then yeah, that's dead with the birth of the scoring ball-dominant PG.

yep. If this was 1995, Westbrook, Rose, Curry, and many more, would be SG's.

FlashBolt
01-27-2015, 12:56 PM
SG's and PG's can be used interchangeably. I don't think it matters. I find it awesome that the PG position is insanely competitive each and every night. I'd rather watch PG's go head to head than watch centers bumping each other like go-carts for 20 seconds just so they can dunk.

Hawkeye15
01-27-2015, 01:27 PM
SG's and PG's can be used interchangeably. I don't think it matters. I find it awesome that the PG position is insanely competitive each and every night. I'd rather watch PG's go head to head than watch centers bumping each other like go-carts for 20 seconds just so they can dunk.

well, the rule changes favor what you like to watch..

FlashBolt
01-27-2015, 01:29 PM
well, the rule changes favor what you like to watch..

no doubt, but just in general, I'd much rather watch PG's run the show. I think most NBA fans will agree with me here. It was fun watching Shaq but there were times I felt I was watching the same game over and over.

Hawkeye15
01-27-2015, 01:30 PM
no doubt, but just in general, I'd much rather watch PG's run the show. I think most NBA fans will agree with me here. It was fun watching Shaq but there were times I felt I was watching the same game over and over.

I remember living in Houston, watching Barkley catch the ball, take 43 dribbles, and shoot a fade. It was insanely boring. Thank god they changed some of those rules.

tredigs
01-27-2015, 01:54 PM
Harden / Klay / Matthews / Korver / Butler / Derozan / Bledsoe / Wade / Beal / Monta / Wiggins / Green + Ginobili

I mean, it's not as deep as most positions, but there's still a lot of talent there.

Jamiecballer
01-27-2015, 01:58 PM

man i'm the opposite. not that watching bigs bump each other gets me off but as much as i love the game i hate what it's become. point guards running around trying to get theirs has basically infected the entire sport with selfish play. gotta get mine since the ball isn't coming back around. don't care for it at all.

tredigs
01-27-2015, 02:16 PM
man i'm the opposite. not that watching bigs bump each other gets me off but as much as i love the game i hate what it's become. point guards running around trying to get theirs has basically infected the entire sport with selfish play. gotta get mine since the ball isn't coming back around. don't care for it at all.

I don't see it as selfishness, just a natural progression. With how much better players are now a days at hitting threes, it's become a much more dangerous/sought-after shot, and the bigs obviously can't hit them at the same level. And due to rule changes/interpretation, we also have far less contact allowed to players when they're attacking the rim, so guards in this generation can penetrate much easier without fear of getting knocked off their spot (or in the case of guys like Harden or younger Wade, use that rule advantage to seek out any contact).

So, it's a combo of shooters growing up with the three ball/getting better at it, and rule changes that the league made to encourage more offense.

FlashBolt
01-27-2015, 02:16 PM

Well, the center position has changed. It doesn't require you to be like Shaq but rather, someone who is mobile, can defend, can set pick-n-rolls, and also, pass out to open shooters. PG's are built to run the show so why shouldn't they have a higher USG? Who better to distribute the ball than the player with the ability to handle the offense best? If you want to blame selfish play, it all started with MJ. But without selfish play, those KD vs LBJ or Kobe vs LBJ matchups would be less entertaining

2-ONE-5
01-27-2015, 02:26 PM
So just looking around the league and especially the last few drafts and this upcoming one, it is becoming apparent the SG position is turning into the least deep position in the league, which previously was the C position. There is not 1 SG expected to go in the top 10 this year, Stauskas was the highest one at 8 last year (unless you think Wiggins is a SG, I believe he will be a SF ultimately), 2013 had McLemore, Dipo and KCP, 2012 had Dion and Beal. Of all these names mentioned, only Dipo and Beal are looking like solid NBA players, neither looks like a future MVP candidate.

The other thing is that there are a lot of guys who would probably be SG's if they played 10 years ago, but are now all PG's. Exum, DeAngelo Russel and Emanuel Mudiay, MCW all carry prototypical SG size but consider themselves PG's and are being sold as such. To me, all the good SG size talent are being told to play PG and it makes me wonder where the SG's have all gone. We got like 3 or 4 really SG's in the league right now, its clearly as shallow as any position has been in recent memory. What do you think the future of the SG position is? Can maybe a Wiggins redefine it? A 6' 8" hyperathletic but not too bulky guard? Are his handles good enough? Obviously Klay and Harden give you some reference but to me this position is due for an overhaul the way that the PG and PF positions have been.

Johnson and Russell are SG's that will go top 5

celtNYpatsHeels
01-27-2015, 02:44 PM
Harden / Klay / Matthews / Korver / Butler / Derozan / Bledsoe / Wade / Beal / Monta / Wiggins / Green + Ginobili

I mean, it's not as deep as most positions, but there's still a lot of talent there.

I agree and you even forgot some like Tyreke, Oladipo, Dragic, Afflalo

murphturph
01-27-2015, 03:47 PM
Jonas Jesus Christ Superstar Valanciunas has been working on his perimeter game. Rumor has it that he will revolutionize the SG position next season.

Jamiecballer
01-27-2015, 04:06 PM
I don't see it as selfishness, just a natural progression. With how much better players are now a days at hitting threes, it's become a much more dangerous/sought-after shot, and the bigs obviously can't hit them at the same level. And due to rule changes/interpretation, we also have far less contact allowed to players when they're attacking the rim, so guards in this generation can penetrate much easier without fear of getting knocked off their spot (or in the case of guys like Harden or younger Wade, use that rule advantage to seek out any contact).

So, it's a combo of shooters growing up with the three ball/getting better at it, and rule changes that the league made to encourage more offense.

i wouldn't call it natural progression. the college game has tons of threes but you see way more people involved in trying to get that open look.

Jamiecballer
01-27-2015, 04:11 PM
Well, the center position has changed. It doesn't require you to be like Shaq but rather, someone who is mobile, can defend, can set pick-n-rolls, and also, pass out to open shooters. PG's are built to run the show so why shouldn't they have a higher USG? Who better to distribute the ball than the player with the ability to handle the offense best? If you want to blame selfish play, it all started with MJ. But without selfish play, those KD vs LBJ or Kobe vs LBJ matchups would be less entertaining
if you want to argue that MJ had a very bad influence on the next generation of players you won't get any argument from me.

FlashBolt
01-27-2015, 09:09 PM
if you want to argue that MJ had a very bad influence on the next generation of players you won't get any argument from me.

The Jordan fanboys are certainly going to come out but he did turn basketball into a me-me game rather than how basketball should have been played. I think Spurs showed us how amazing and precise basketball would be had you had zero superstar presence and just had good players making great plays.

Jamiecballer
01-27-2015, 10:57 PM
The Jordan fanboys are certainly going to come out but he did turn basketball into a me-me game rather than how basketball should have been played. I think Spurs showed us how amazing and precise basketball would be had you had zero superstar presence and just had good players making great plays.
It doesn't need to be that way. I idolized Jordan as much as anyone did. But it's not hard to see why playing like Jordan is a bad thing for, well, anyone not named Jordan or possibly James. And yes I am giving James the benefit of the doubt because his stunning efficiency scoring warrants it.

Raps08-09 Champ
01-27-2015, 11:00 PM
Well there are enough guys right now who could average +25ppg. But people realized ball hogging isn't cool.

Tony_Starks
01-27-2015, 11:16 PM
The future of the SG is pretty bleak right now. There's a few nice ones but I think it will be a while before we see another batch of superstar able to put the team on their back type SG's.

I'm a fan of Klay, Butler, and Beal just like everybody else but when you compare them to the guys before them its pretty watered down.....

labor2millions7
01-27-2015, 11:57 PM
Don't forget…. T mac…

FlashBolt
01-28-2015, 12:08 AM
The future of the SG is pretty bleak right now. There's a few nice ones but I think it will be a while before we see another batch of superstar able to put the team on their back type SG's.

I'm a fan of Klay, Butler, and Beal just like everybody else but when you compare them to the guys before them its pretty watered down.....

I mean NBA has been slowly moving away from the SG role and more into a "do-it-all role". It started with AI imo and slowly, it has transitioned into a PG's job to score as well. Steph Curry, Westbrook, Rose, and countless others would be an SG if this was 10 years ago.

flea
01-28-2015, 12:56 AM
To me SF is the most shallow position currently in the NBA. There are a lot of nice 2 guards out there - they are just not the high-usage 2 guards that PPG junkies look for when they peruse box scores. Conversely, SF has the positionless superstars so people tend to think it's deep when it's really not.

Here are the top 10s by my count (only doing starters):

SG: Harden, Thompson, Green, Korver, Beal, DeRozan, Butler, Oladipo, Wade, Ellis
SF: Durant, Lebron, Leonard, Parsons, Hayward, Anthony, Green, Pierce, Gay, Batum

For SG I left out a lot of strong and/or promising guys like Tyreke, Ginobili, Matthews, Martin, Dragic/Bledsoe (one should count), KCP, Lee, Afflalo, and McLemore.

For SF that leaves out flawed guys and vets like Harris, Ariza, Allen, Barnes, Carroll, and Deng. A lot of the guys on the SF list can't defend their positions. Most of the 2 guards can at least defend their position, usually can defend 1 or two more.

*Note: who knows where to put all those wings that Kidd throws out there. At least he understands the modern NBA - at least as it pertains to his team and the regular season. Long athletes beats forcing a bunch of no-defense chucking guards into your lineup.

**Note: Draymond would be a top 10 SF for sure but many GS fans count him as PF, presumably because he checks 4s a lot. I take issue with the entire idea of whom you guard dictating your position, for one. To me, they simply play 2 SFs, but if forced to parse I would count Draymond as the SF and Barnes as the PF because Barnes has always profiled best as a 4 and Draymond is really only tasked with the tougher check. But this is neither here nor there.

JEDean89
01-28-2015, 02:58 AM
I mean NBA has been slowly moving away from the SG role and more into a "do-it-all role". It started with AI imo and slowly, it has transitioned into a PG's job to score as well. Steph Curry, Westbrook, Rose, and countless others would be an SG if this was 10 years ago.

This was my point in my OP, a lot of names have been thrown around but apart from Harden, Butler and Klay, there aren't many top tier SG's left, and 2 of those guys aren't MVP caliber players. Every position in this league has depth, right now I would say SG and PF are the weakest though and PF is a little better at the top.

To whomever said SF is currently weak I strongly disagree. George being injured hurts but when he's healthy
LBJ, Durant, Leonard, George, Gay, and Melo is a pretty solid top of the heap with Parker, Wiggins and Antentokounmpo looking good as the future of the position.

To whomever said DeAngelo and Johnson were two SG's coming in, I don't believe either will ultimately be a SG. At 6' 8" 245 lbs, Johnson is an NBA SF, and everything I'm reading has Russell as PG in the NBA, because he is such a good passer.

Trueblue2
01-28-2015, 05:07 AM
They're still in the NBA, they're just PG's and SF's. PG's are getting bigger and forwards are getting smaller and SG's are being phased out. The way NBA rosters are now SG is an outdated term, they're more accurately described as either guards (harden) or wings (Thompson) and can be used interchangeably with other G's/Wings.

NBA teams are coached differently now than 10-20 years ago. There's not all that many teams that are system first nowadays so the need for a 2 guard who could take over and score in ISO when a teams system isn't cutting it is diminished. Conversely PG's are needed more now than ever to get everyone involved and in rhythm because its easier to bank on one players court vision than it is to rely on a teams collective BBIQ.

Jordan and Kobe won championships because they played on rosters that executed the triangle offense remarkably well. They were able to play the way they did because the team around them executed a specific system. They were assets to their teams because their particular skillset allowed Phil to coach the rest of the team to deliver a consistent amount of points each night and basically say "make up the difference however you can."

That skillset isnt as valuable anymore. Players coming up with good handles and playmaking ability are being encouraged to pass more (while still being score first) and they end up as PG's playing the same role as a dominant SG 10-15 years ago.

Jamiecballer
01-28-2015, 09:08 AM
Well there are enough guys right now who could average +25ppg. But people realized ball hogging isn't cool.
I actually don't agree with that. Ball hogging is more prevalent than ever. As a general rule I'd say the shift in the way PGs play made lower scoring SGs inevitable.

FlashBolt
01-28-2015, 12:15 PM
Man.. i really miss Paul George. I think he would have taken it to the next level with Lance gone.

papipapsmanny
01-28-2015, 02:36 PM
When it comes to Beal... I think a lot of people forget that he is only 21 this season. He won't be 22 until the very end of June.

He is good and getting better. Already has a great 3 point shot, and improving in other areas. He is definitely capable of having a shooting % over 45% while averaging 20+ points, just has to keep moving towards his high ceiling

beasted86
01-28-2015, 04:29 PM
Don't forget…. T mac…

Yup.

Kobe, Wade, T-Mac, Arenas, Allen, Iverson... there was a point about 10 years ago all of these guys were averaging 24 or better a game with solid assists.

tredigs
01-28-2015, 06:05 PM
I actually don't agree with that. Ball hogging is more prevalent than ever. As a general rule I'd say the shift in the way PGs play made lower scoring SGs inevitable.

Out of curiosity, do you consider the way the Warriors play along with Curry's scoring to be a 'ball hog' mentality?

D-Leethal
01-28-2015, 06:16 PM
To me SF is the most shallow position currently in the NBA. There are a lot of nice 2 guards out there - they are just not the high-usage 2 guards that PPG junkies look for when they peruse box scores. Conversely, SF has the positionless superstars so people tend to think it's deep when it's really not.

Here are the top 10s by my count (only doing starters):

SG: Harden, Thompson, Green, Korver, Beal, DeRozan, Butler, Oladipo, Wade, Ellis
SF: Durant, Lebron, Leonard, Parsons, Hayward, Anthony, Green, Pierce, Gay, Batum

For SG I left out a lot of strong and/or promising guys like Tyreke, Ginobili, Matthews, Martin, Dragic/Bledsoe (one should count), KCP, Lee, Afflalo, and McLemore.

For SF that leaves out flawed guys and vets like Harris, Ariza, Allen, Barnes, Carroll, and Deng. A lot of the guys on the SF list can't defend their positions. Most of the 2 guards can at least defend their position, usually can defend 1 or two more.

*Note: who knows where to put all those wings that Kidd throws out there. At least he understands the modern NBA - at least as it pertains to his team and the regular season. Long athletes beats forcing a bunch of no-defense chucking guards into your lineup.

**Note: Draymond would be a top 10 SF for sure but many GS fans count him as PF, presumably because he checks 4s a lot. I take issue with the entire idea of whom you guard dictating your position, for one. To me, they simply play 2 SFs, but if forced to parse I would count Draymond as the SF and Barnes as the PF because Barnes has always profiled best as a 4 and Draymond is really only tasked with the tougher check. But this is neither here nor there.

So if Barnes and Green are on the court as the 3/4, you consider Barnes the 4 becuase - why again?

flea
01-28-2015, 06:23 PM
Out of curiosity, do you consider the way the Warriors play along with Curry's scoring to be a 'ball hog' mentality?

Yeah no idea what he's talking about. The NBA is finally going back to real basketball - ball movement. The biggest reason besides rules differences and effort level that I've always preferred college is that it's much more creative offensively. Jordan and Kobe and then a host of other players ruined AAU mindsets, and NBA coaches became glorified enablers.

Now we're seeing those idiots pushed out and real coaches back in the fold. Let the chuckers go play in China where people love them for being the only black guy within a thousand miles. GS has 2 offensive studs and a great offense, yet Curry leads the team with only a 28% USG. I think no team should ever have a player over 30% because at that point you're probably taking bad shots, you're certainly hurting the flow of the game, and you're exerting too much effort at one end of the floor.

Now do some teams succeed doing it? Sure, and there's always the Michael Jordan exception. But there are no Jordans in the game today. The Blazers and Clips have their premiere forwards come close to 30%, but I think both teams would be much better off if the rest of their starters carried a bit bigger load. Harden is way up there is USG% and has remained efficient, but the offense is worse than when he wasn't going over 30%. Plus, offenses like that are very easy to slow down come playoff time.

I don't think it's a coincidence that it's the Spurs, Mavericks, and Grizzlies that have been the most successful in the postseason the last few years in spite of not having a top 3 player among any of them since probably 2007 or 2008. Astoundingly, the one team you could argue is justified in having 2 players push 30% USG failed probably because the lesser of the two consistently has higher USG% than the best offensive player of our generation. BTW I will never argue that Westbrook is helping his team by being a 30% USG player.

flea
01-28-2015, 06:33 PM
So if Barnes and Green are on the court as the 3/4, you consider Barnes the 4 becuase - why again?

I said, to me, GS simply plays two SFs. But Barnes is a tweener who fits better offensively as a 4, where he can play in the post more. There was a lot of question as to whether he would stick in the NBA for this reason, similar to Jeff Green. Fortunately both look good enough offensively to justify their shortcomings for the time being.

Even more fortunately for GS is that Draymond, thus far, has had no problem guarding both forward spots. I think some teams could give them trouble down low (like the Bulls just did, and the Grizzlies and probably Spurs) but with how their offense is humming you don't really care. It's like Battier and Lebron in Miami. Both were really SFs, but they played them together because of how good their offense was when Lebron was at the 4. Lebron rarely guarded 4s unless they were undersized and the worse of the two, but he was still really playing the 4.

Jamiecballer
01-28-2015, 08:35 PM
Sure, but in the same way Jordan was. In that "you're so good you'd be stupid not to shoot it" sort of way. These are real outliers BTW

tredigs
01-28-2015, 08:43 PM
Sure, but in the same way Jordan was. In that "you're so good you'd be stupid not to shoot it" sort of way. These are real outliers BTW

With Curry in particular I don't see it that way. I think he's actually a very unselfish player, but also very confident in his ability to hit the tough shot and won't shy away from it (some are bad sure, but they're the anomaly).

A guy like Kyrie? OK. He's more of an ISO specialist (though he's brilliant at it) and he'll generally look for his in that situation. But with Curry, he's just exploiting holes. Rest assure that if Bogut's man slips too high on him to help, the easy bucket is coming in the form of a lob.

My point being, I there's a lot of different styles of points in the league right now, and just the fact that they can score at a high level doesn't necessarily mean they're selfish.

I don't see anywhere near the selfishness of these guys as a whole as we saw from SG's in the past decade.

tredigs
01-28-2015, 08:54 PM
Yeah no idea what he's talking about. The NBA is finally going back to real basketball - ball movement. The biggest reason besides rules differences and effort level that I've always preferred college is that it's much more creative offensively. Jordan and Kobe and then a host of other players ruined AAU mindsets, and NBA coaches became glorified enablers.

Now we're seeing those idiots pushed out and real coaches back in the fold. Let the chuckers go play in China where people love them for being the only black guy within a thousand miles. GS has 2 offensive studs and a great offense, yet Curry leads the team with only a 28% USG. I think no team should ever have a player over 30% because at that point you're probably taking bad shots, you're certainly hurting the flow of the game, and you're exerting too much effort at one end of the floor.

Now do some teams succeed doing it? Sure, and there's always the Michael Jordan exception. But there are no Jordans in the game today. The Blazers and Clips have their premiere forwards come close to 30%, but I think both teams would be much better off if the rest of their starters carried a bit bigger load. Harden is way up there is USG% and has remained efficient, but the offense is worse than when he wasn't going over 30%. Plus, offenses like that are very easy to slow down come playoff time.

I don't think it's a coincidence that it's the Spurs, Mavericks, and Grizzlies that have been the most successful in the postseason the last few years in spite of not having a top 3 player among any of them since probably 2007 or 2008. Astoundingly, the one team you could argue is justified in having 2 players push 30% USG failed probably because the lesser of the two consistently has higher USG% than the best offensive player of our generation. BTW I will never argue that Westbrook is helping his team by being a 30% USG player.

I missed this post initially but definitely agree with a lot of it. Coaching is much smarter right now than in years past. Offenses understand the value of ball movement/3's/FT's, and a PG's ability to penetrate as well as dish; A miss from a PG at the rim is much more valuable than a miss from a big at the rim who is backing down his opponent. Most of the time, the defensive big will attempt the block on a slashing guard, which obviously gets his momentum to fall away from the hoop - and even if the player misses - his big will be in a great position to clean it up on the offensive glass. Players/teams like D. Rose and Chi especially get this I think.

As far as OKC goes, I cannot stand their offense, but they're so damn talented that it almost doesn't matter. I attribute a lot of their failures to bad luck with injuries to Westbrook/Ibaka in the playoffs. Tough to say where they'd be at from a success standpoint without them, but I'm guessing above where they are. But that said, when you have a poorly coached team, it makes the loss of your cornerstones that much less surmountable.

Jamiecballer
01-29-2015, 12:59 AM
With Curry in particular I don't see it that way. I think he's actually a very unselfish player, but also very confident in his ability to hit the tough shot and won't shy away from it (some are bad sure, but they're the anomaly).

A guy like Kyrie? OK. He's more of an ISO specialist (though he's brilliant at it) and he'll generally look for his in that situation. But with Curry, he's just exploiting holes. Rest assure that if Bogut's man slips too high on him to help, the easy bucket is coming in the form of a lob.

My point being, I there's a lot of different styles of points in the league right now, and just the fact that they can score at a high level doesn't necessarily mean they're selfish.

I don't see anywhere near the selfishness of these guys as a whole as we saw from SG's in the past decade.
I will grant you that Curry is unselfish but I think by nature of his incredible shooting skills he plays more selfishly by design. It makes sense for him. He is an outlier IMO