PDA

View Full Version : Blake Griffin's Midrange Jumper 2015

Clippersfan86
01-26-2015, 03:18 PM
http://fullyclips.com/2015/01/26/stat-day-blake-griffin-killing-mid-range-january/

Under the radar shooting lights out from mid this year. He's at 41+ percent on the year and this month he's in a tier with Dirk and David West alone on that volume (better than LMA) at about 47 percent. Pretty impressive considering the guy came into the league with no shot. Now if only he would go in the paint more and mix it up better.

This month though he's at almost a 50/50 split of paint and outside so it is getting better.

InRoseWeTrust
01-26-2015, 03:25 PM
http://fullyclips.com/2015/01/26/stat-day-blake-griffin-killing-mid-range-january/

Under the radar shooting lights out from mid this year. He's at 41+ percent on the year and this month he's in a tier with Dirk and David West alone on that volume (better than LMA) at about 47 percent. Pretty impressive considering the guy came into the league with no shot. Now if only he would go in the paint more and mix it up better.

This month though he's at almost a 50/50 split of paint and outside so it is getting better.

That's my only problem with his new skill. At times, it seems it's almost like he improved his game to the point where it detracted from it overall.

Clippersfan86
01-26-2015, 03:32 PM
Agreed. He let the critics get to him IMO. Sure a shot is mice, but never forget your strength is being a bully in the paint for more efficient shots. That being said his bigger issue has always been mentally. Knowing when to stay aggressive etc. He's so quick to pass, which is a gift and curse. I'm not sure I like him dropping in rebounding for the sake of playing Point Forward.

His passing and shooting are improving as his rebounding and defense are declining. I want him to be a PF, not a 6'9 PG.

FraziersKnicks
01-26-2015, 03:46 PM
I've always been a big fan of Blake but his constantly declining rebounding numbers are quite concerning. If he could get back to 8.5-9 rebounds a game that would be really nice.

Sactown
01-26-2015, 04:12 PM
I've always been a big fan of Blake but his constantly declining rebounding numbers are quite concerning. If he could get back to 8.5-9 rebounds a game that would be really nice.

Yeah.. it would be one thing if they rebounded well as a team but they don't... His Rebounding numbers need to go up individually and as a team to be a serious contender

InRoseWeTrust
01-26-2015, 04:23 PM
Agreed. He let the critics get to him IMO. Sure a shot is mice, but never forget your strength is being a bully in the paint for more efficient shots. That being said his bigger issue has always been mentally. Knowing when to stay aggressive etc. He's so quick to pass, which is a gift and curse. I'm not sure I like him dropping in rebounding for the sake of playing Point Forward.

His passing and shooting are improving as his rebounding and defense are declining. I want him to be a PF, not a 6'9 PG.

I think part of the rebounding decline, at least on the offensive end, is the fact that he's not in the paint as much as he used to be. When you get pulled out to the elbows to shoot midrange J's and distribute, it's going to have an impact on the glass.

Clippersfan86
01-26-2015, 04:31 PM
True. Bosh/Aldridge/Dirk are great examples of that. They all average around 8 RPG career I believe. I just want even 9 rpg. I don't expect 12 rpg anymore because as you said, he's not inside the paint as much now. Plus DJ has become leagues best rebounder which doesn't help Blake.

Clippersfan86
01-26-2015, 04:33 PM
Yeah.. it would be one thing if they rebounded well as a team but they don't... His Rebounding numbers need to go up individually and as a team to be a serious contender

That's because our guards/bench rebound like **** but DJ definitely hurts Blake's rebounding last couple years. 13.5 rpg over last two years.

hugepatsfan
01-26-2015, 04:54 PM
What type of defensive attention does his mid-range get? Proving you can do it is step 1. Step 2 is maintaining it when defenses start adjusting and playing you for it. Give me someone who shoots 42% with heavy defensive attention over someone who shoots 47% when the defense leaves him out there alone.

Clippersfan86
01-26-2015, 05:09 PM
Kind of mixed. Teams don't guard him like he's Dirk from there, but they also don't leave him wide open daring him to shoot anymore s much. Often times he's open due to a PNR with Redick or Paul

Goose17
01-26-2015, 05:41 PM
Three things I miss about Blake;

1. The stare down. Why did he stop that? It was fun.
2. Playing down low, I want to see him continue improving his post game, he made some strides there last season but I think he's capable of more. Much more.
3. Watching Draymond get under his skin.

Cracka2HI!
01-26-2015, 05:45 PM
I think he will find his all around game closer to playoff time. I don't think he's that interested in attacking the rim and getting assaulted all season if he can help in other ways. That said I think he is more effective when he attacks more so I hope it is something he will get back to. Teams are letting him shoot the jumper right now, when the games start coming more important I don't think they'll just let him shoot on the nights he's going 10-12 from out there. If the defense starts reacting to his shot that should also create driving lanes for him.

Redrum187
01-26-2015, 06:33 PM
I've never been a fan of his game at all. He is good at getting points, but he lacks the basketball IQ needed to win in the post season. He is mentally weak.

He needs to continue working on his shot (smaller quantity in games until he's automatic), start rebounding again (like he use to), and most importantly, PLAY DEFENSE!!!!!!!! His lack of D almost eliminates his advantage on the offensive end. I also don't like the Blake Griffin and Jordan pairing... they aren't a great fit.

FraziersKnicks
01-26-2015, 06:58 PM
True. Bosh/Aldridge/Dirk are great examples of that. They all average around 8 RPG career I believe. I just want even 9 rpg. I don't expect 12 rpg anymore because as you said, he's not inside the paint as much now. Plus DJ has become leagues best rebounder which doesn't help Blake.

But LA has averaged over 10 a game for the last two seasons. I don't buy the jump shooting bringing his rebounding numbers down because his defensive rebounding numbers are down quite substantially now.

He seems to have gotten lazy and is expecting DJ to crash the boards for him. Maybe it's a slight decline in athletic ability? Which would be crazy considering he's only 25. I don't see him getting up as high anymore.

andy2518
01-26-2015, 08:03 PM
Three things I miss about Blake;

1. The stare down. Why did he stop that? It was fun.
2. Playing down low, I want to see him continue improving his post game, he made some strides there last season but I think he's capable of more. Much more.
3. Watching Draymond get under his skin.

Haha. That was pretty cool.

Vinylman
01-26-2015, 08:51 PM
what a worthless article ... zero context

How has his performance improved vs last year... has it improved?

why look at a stretch of games starting 1/1/15... why not start 3 games earlier or later...

is the takeaway that he is getting better at shooting midrange shots or just taking a lot less?

Not taking a shot at Griffin its just that the conclusions drawn are ridiculous

Cracka2HI!
01-26-2015, 10:39 PM
I think it's awesome the Clippers have all these flaws, Blake has regressed everyone agrees the team could play better. They still have the 6th best record in the league are tied with Atlanta for 2nd in +/- and Blake is an all-star starter again. For such a bad team and player they are doing very well. I honestly think they are sleep walking through the regular season compared to some other teams in the West. The best may be still to come from the Clippers.

Redrum187
01-26-2015, 10:43 PM
I think it's awesome the Clippers have all these flaws, Blake has regressed everyone agrees the team could play better. They still have the 6th best record in the league are tied with Atlanta for 2nd in +/- and Blake is an all-star starter again. For such a bad team and player they are doing very well. I honestly think they are sleep walking through the regular season compared to some other teams in the West. The best may be still to come from the Clippers.

I don't consider 6th place "doing very well" at all with the talent they have on that team. Chris Paul is a top 5 player in this league, clearly the best player on the Clippers... Blake is suppose to be a top 5 PF but his game only translates to regular season wins. If they are coasting through the season, they are in bigger trouble than I thought.... they don't have the post-season success to be THIS confident in the regular season....

Cracka2HI!
01-27-2015, 12:17 AM
I don't consider 6th place "doing very well" at all with the talent they have on that team. Chris Paul is a top 5 player in this league, clearly the best player on the Clippers... Blake is suppose to be a top 5 PF but his game only translates to regular season wins. If they are coasting through the season, they are in bigger trouble than I thought.... they don't have the post-season success to be THIS confident in the regular season....

They are 4th in the West 1/2 game out of a tie for 3rd. Right where they were last season when everyone was talking about how much of a threat they were. I don't think you watch many Clipper games my friend. CP3 is having a better year than Blake but Blake was the better player last year and is the ascending player. To say CP3 is a top 5 player and Blake isn't a top 5 PF is way off. They are both around equal value even though Blake appears to have regressed. I don't even think he's regressed. His game is evolving and he is getting used to playing with the ability to shoot. I also saw your post that Blake and DJ aren't a good pairing. I think that couldn't be further from the truth. Why do you think they are a bad pairing?

Clippersfan86
01-27-2015, 02:27 AM
what a worthless article ... zero context

How has his performance improved vs last year... has it improved?

why look at a stretch of games starting 1/1/15... why not start 3 games earlier or later...

is the takeaway that he is getting better at shooting midrange shots or just taking a lot less?

Not taking a shot at Griffin its just that the conclusions drawn are ridiculous

Did you even read it?? He is shooting almost 42 percent ON THE SEASON. It starts 1/1/2015 because the month is ending and in sports it's extremely common to look at month by month samples. In fact ESPN has their own month by month statistics they track for the NBA. The conclusions are exactly what they are. Blake had a Dirk like month from midrange and on the year is a vastly improved shooter. It doesn't say it in the article but Blake shot 37 percent from midrange last year when you combine 10-15 and 16-23. He's improving an average of 4-5 percent from midrange every year just about.

Clippersfan86
01-27-2015, 02:34 AM
But LA has averaged over 10 a game for the last two seasons. I don't buy the jump shooting bringing his rebounding numbers down because his defensive rebounding numbers are down quite substantially now.

He seems to have gotten lazy and is expecting DJ to crash the boards for him. Maybe it's a slight decline in athletic ability? Which would be crazy considering he's only 25. I don't see him getting up as high anymore.

Aldridge plays next to Lopez an 8.5 rpg player last year, 7 rpg this year. Blake plays next to DJ a 13.5 rpg over the last two seasons. That being said, I don't disagree that he's gotten lazier on the boards, because he has DJ and takes that for granted. I think in general as he gets older he's learned to pace himself a bit so he doesn't burn out so much late in games. If you recall, as a rookie the dude had a Kenneth Faried type motor in the paint and on the glass. When you expect to be durable and be a big minute superstar long term in this league, it doesn't work. That's why the highest motor players in the NBA are all pretty much bench players who bust their *** in short spurts.

He still shows the athleticism, just not as often. I don't think it's a decline in athleticism, just a wisdom of when to do reckless sh** athletically. I'd be happy if he got to 9 rpg again even. Something like 24 ppg, 9 rpg, 5 apg would be amazing.

Redrum187
01-27-2015, 02:51 AM
They are 4th in the West 1/2 game out of a tie for 3rd. Right where they were last season when everyone was talking about how much of a threat they were. I don't think you watch many Clipper games my friend. CP3 is having a better year than Blake but Blake was the better player last year and is the ascending player. To say CP3 is a top 5 player and Blake isn't a top 5 PF is way off. They are both around equal value even though Blake appears to have regressed. I don't even think he's regressed. His game is evolving and he is getting used to playing with the ability to shoot. I also saw your post that Blake and DJ aren't a good pairing. I think that couldn't be further from the truth. Why do you think they are a bad pairing?

I never said Griffin isn't a top 5 PF... I just said he's suppose to be (I'd agree he is about 4th or 5th best. I have watched about half of the Clipper games actually... I would never agree that Blake has as much value as CP3 though... that is a bit crazy for me. CP3 is a two-way player who makes his teammates better. He has an incredibly high basketball IQ. CP3 is the toughest guy on the clippers by far. Griffin and Jordan are a bad pairing. Griffin was his best when he lived in the paint. I understand he wants to add to his offensive repertoire, and that will actually improve the fit with Jordan... but that is not going to win them playoff games... maybe regular season games. You bring up their record last season, but if the goal is to repeat last year's production (with their number 1 scorer regressing), I call that a failure for the year personally.

FraziersKnicks
01-27-2015, 05:19 AM
Aldridge plays next to Lopez an 8.5 rpg player last year, 7 rpg this year. Blake plays next to DJ a 13.5 rpg over the last two seasons. That being said, I don't disagree that he's gotten lazier on the boards, because he has DJ and takes that for granted. I think in general as he gets older he's learned to pace himself a bit so he doesn't burn out so much late in games. If you recall, as a rookie the dude had a Kenneth Faried type motor in the paint and on the glass. When you expect to be durable and be a big minute superstar long term in this league, it doesn't work. That's why the highest motor players in the NBA are all pretty much bench players who bust their *** in short spurts.

He still shows the athleticism, just not as often. I don't think it's a decline in athleticism, just a wisdom of when to do reckless sh** athletically. I'd be happy if he got to 9 rpg again even. Something like 24 ppg, 9 rpg, 5 apg would be amazing.

Yeah you're probably right. I would love to see him get to 24/9/5 and shoot around 53-55% from the field. Would certainly get him right in that MVP convo.

PurpleLynch
01-27-2015, 07:53 AM
I hoped he could be Shawn Kemp 2.0 (white version) when he came in this league. I'd like him more aggressive in the paint,instead of shooting from mid.

Goose17
01-27-2015, 08:13 AM
I hoped he could be Shawn Kemp 2.0 (white version) when he came in this league. I'd like him more aggressive in the paint,instead of shooting from mid.

I actually thought the same. Like a Kemp Lite or whatever.

Vinylman
01-27-2015, 01:29 PM
Did you even read it?? He is shooting almost 42 percent ON THE SEASON. It starts 1/1/2015 because the month is ending and in sports it's extremely common to look at month by month samples. In fact ESPN has their own month by month statistics they track for the NBA. The conclusions are exactly what they are. Blake had a Dirk like month from midrange and on the year is a vastly improved shooter. It doesn't say it in the article but Blake shot 37 percent from midrange last year when you combine 10-15 and 16-23. He's improving an average of 4-5 percent from midrange every year just about.

I read it... the article is poorly done

glad he is shooting 42% now that you have posted I see he shot 37% for the FULL year... good to know...

however, is he shooting more or less midrange shots at this point than last year...

as for blake having a dirk like month I didn't realize that the month was over nor do I see the rate comparison between the two to make the determination that "blake is having a dirk like month"

its a good thing the writer has you working to partially clear up the gaps in the analysis...

the conclusions could still be right but without the relevant information needed to make that determination the jury is still out.

valade16
01-27-2015, 01:38 PM

Portland is 3rd in the league in rebounding. Sure, Lopez only grabs 7 boards but Kaman grabs 6.8, Batum 5.2 and Lillard 4.7.

Heck, the Blazers have 8 players averaging 4.0+ RPG. The Clippers have 4.

LMA is simply being more active on the boards than Griffin is. It has little to do with who plays next to them.

Chronz
01-27-2015, 01:47 PM

In the 2014 Western Conference, its doing more than fine. We have some really nasty warts, our bench is horrendous thus far, but so long as the starting lineup remains in pristine condition, they have a punchers chance. And I get why people feel they shouldn't be this confident but they have tried going full bore for the regular season before, it wears you down when its Y4 of a basic core being together. I love that they have like the the 2nd or 3rd best efficiency differential with Blake so clearly content to hoist away.

Clippersfan86
01-27-2015, 01:48 PM
Yeah you're probably right. I would love to see him get to 24/9/5 and shoot around 53-55% from the field. Would certainly get him right in that MVP convo.

Yup. That would be similar to last year. He's not that far now. He's at like 23/7.5/5 now. So increase points 1 ppg and 1 more rpg. He needs one month like last year when CP3 was out to dominate and he will be there.

Clippersfan86
01-27-2015, 01:50 PM
I read it... the article is poorly done

glad he is shooting 42% now that you have posted I see he shot 37% for the FULL year... good to know...

however, is he shooting more or less midrange shots at this point than last year...

as for blake having a dirk like month I didn't realize that the month was over nor do I see the rate comparison between the two to make the determination that "blake is having a dirk like month"

its a good thing the writer has you working to partially clear up the gaps in the analysis...

the conclusions could still be right but without the relevant information needed to make that determination the jury is still out.

I should of added he's increasing the percentage 4-5 a year while shooting double the volume each time of the previous year just about. It's rare that both volume AND efficiency rise that consistently. The Dirk comparison is in the article. Dirk is shooting 48 percent this month from midrange, best in the NBA, Griffin 3rd at 46 percent.

Clippersfan86
01-27-2015, 01:52 PM

When he was Kemp lite, everybody hated him and picked his game apart. Now he adds the shot people picked him apart for and he's too soft. See the issue here? He's smart to go the Amare route instead of Kemp. Focus on the faceup more and preserve his career.

Goose17
01-27-2015, 01:58 PM
When he was Kemp lite, everybody hated him and picked his game apart. Now he adds the shot people picked him apart for and he's too soft. See the issue here? He's smart to go the Amare route instead of Kemp. Focus on the faceup more and preserve his career.

I would rather see him develop his post game now. His shot is fine but hes far too reliant on it.

Post game and defense.

valade16
01-27-2015, 01:59 PM
In the 2014 Western Conference, its doing more than fine. We have some really nasty warts, our bench is horrendous thus far, but so long as the starting lineup remains in pristine condition, they have a punchers chance. And I get why people feel they shouldn't be this confident but they have tried going full bore for the regular season before, it wears you down when its Y4 of a basic core being together. I love that they have like the the 2nd or 3rd best efficiency differential with Blake so clearly content to hoist away.

To add to that they're like 2 games out of 2nd place so it's not like this 6th place thing is rigid, it's fluid.

Chronz
01-27-2015, 02:02 PM
What type of defensive attention does his mid-range get? Proving you can do it is step 1. Step 2 is maintaining it when defenses start adjusting and playing you for it. Give me someone who shoots 42% with heavy defensive attention over someone who shoots 47% when the defense leaves him out there alone.

Ive been wondering that myself, at what point do teams really start playing you for the drive? You've gotten a few years from Bass now, do teams absolutely game plan to never leave him open?

Right now teams are willfully surrendering the jumper to Blake, early in the season it was a great trade off, but hes been hitting them now and its coincided with the Clips finally taking hold of the leagues highest ranked offense. Looking it up right now, Blake takes 31% of his fg/a with no defender within 6ft on his jumpers(nba.com identifies that as a "wide open" shot).

For comparison sakes, a WIDE open Blake jumper hits at about the same rate as a contested Dirk jumper. To be fair, thats the best shooter in the game and CP3 does create alot of open shots, but I imagine Blake would have to either extend his range or start hitting closer to the 49% that Dirk hits when wide open. LMA for example hits those same shots at 55% and now that hes extended his range, hes at .623 eFG%. His percentages plummet when teams contest his jumper even in the slightest.

Vinylman
01-27-2015, 02:29 PM

Is this team better than last year or have they just avoided the injury bug? It would be interesting to see games missed last year vs this year for starters/rotational players.

Do you guys know where we can get that info?

Vinylman
01-27-2015, 02:33 PM
I should of added he's increasing the percentage 4-5 a year while shooting double the volume each time of the previous year just about. It's rare that both volume AND efficiency rise that consistently. The Dirk comparison is in the article. Dirk is shooting 48 percent this month from midrange, best in the NBA, Griffin 3rd at 46 percent.

thanks for the volume information... it is good he continues to develop his game.

My real beef with the Dirk comparison is that I would have to assume that Dirk's shots are contested a lot more than Blake's. Is there any way to get that number?

Clippersfan86
01-27-2015, 02:36 PM
I would rather see him develop his post game now. His shot is fine but hes far too reliant on it.

Post game and defense.

Early on yes but as article says he's about 50/50 this mknth. Doing both. As season goes on he's in paint more and more. Which is good.

Clippersfan86
01-27-2015, 02:39 PM
thanks for the volume information... it is good he continues to develop his game.

My real beef with the Dirk comparison is that I would have to assume that Dirk's shots are contested a lot more than Blake's. Is there any way to get that number?

Very fair question. Dirk commands way more attention on the shot, no doubt. I think the writer didn't mean to say so much Blake is equal, so much as to show how far his shot has come. I'll answer what you asked Chronz too. I think the team is equal or better the last two weeks to last season but far less consistent as a whole on the season, especially on defense. After recent trade though, things are coming together. This team has a horrible habit of peaking in December and this year it's just starting to peak, so maybe this is good come playoff time? Also yes the team has been incredibly healthy compared to seasons past. Sorry for answerING your question Chronz :).

Cracka2HI!
01-27-2015, 09:15 PM
Is this team better than last year or have they just avoided the injury bug? It would be interesting to see games missed last year vs this year for starters/rotational players.

This is a good question. The team has been MUCH healthier this season. If they had the same injuries as last year they'd be in OKC's situation. The role players on the roster have consistently gotten a little worse every year Doc has been in charge. I remember the great depth of the last VDN team with Reggie Evans and Keynon Martin essentially outplaying our starters every night. So the roster itself is worse without a doubt but like you say the health of the team this year has balanced it out.

JJ Reddick's health has really helped. The past 2 seasons we had a starting SG that was out most of the year but kept coming back and screwing up chemistry; Reddick last year, Chauncey the year before. Willie Green was essentially the starter and even though he did a great job filling in...I'm sure you can see where a healthy Reddick can make up a lot of what the team used to get from it's bench.

PurpleLynch
01-28-2015, 08:46 AM

It was just my preference,I didn't bash him for playing like that. But his post moves needs to be polished anyway.
Acquiring a shot from mid was definitely an upgrade,but he has a lot of time to develop all the aspects of his game.

Chrisclover
01-28-2015, 12:37 PM

I also agree with you that his new skills kind of detract from his original dunk-happy game. But hey, this is the evolution Doc and the whole Clippers team long for. Now they are winning and look like a contender. When Griffin was hailed as the atrocious dunker, nobody took the team seriously.
Now it's just a treat to see him initiate an alley-oop to Jordan. [emoji1] I have no problem with him playing point forward.

Chrisclover
01-28-2015, 12:40 PM
I don't think he gets lazy or his athleticism declines. He pays more attention to passing and making mid-range shots, which will inevitably decrease his rebounds a bit. Now that they're winning, it's a great change.

Chronz
01-28-2015, 12:47 PM

As a whole, last years unit might be better because it was ALOT deeper, but the health Of this squad has allowed for greater chemistry within the starters.

Like i said from the start, i just want to make the playoffs healthy.

Chronz
01-28-2015, 12:48 PM
I don't think he gets lazy or his athleticism declines. He pays more attention to passing and making mid-range shots, which will inevitably decrease his rebounds a bit. Now that they're winning, it's a great change.

What'about defensively?

Chronz
01-28-2015, 12:53 PM

Nba.com tracks everything now. Like i mentioned before, Blake is left unguarded 31% of the time vs 20 or so
I'm on my broken phone so i got no links

Clippersfan86
01-28-2015, 02:00 PM
That's awesome Chronz. Is that the new Uvue or whatever? I wonder if 31 percent unguarded is good or bad. It seems pretty in line with what I said earlier. Which is that overall teams now respect his shot, but not to the level of a Dirk/Bosh/Aldridge etc quite.

Chrisclover
01-29-2015, 05:57 AM
That's awesome Chronz. Is that the new Uvue or whatever? I wonder if 31 percent unguarded is good or bad. It seems pretty in line with what I said earlier. Which is that overall teams now respect his shot, but not to the level of a Dirk/Bosh/Aldridge etc quite.
The opponents will respect him more as he keeps playing like this.