PDA

View Full Version : If Coach K Coached In The NBA Full Time, How Many Titles Would He Have?

Wade n Fade
01-24-2015, 04:14 PM
If Coach K coached full time in the NBA, would he have at least multiple titles? I think so since he can coach in college and the international game, so I wouldn't see him having trouble if he's given the right players that gel together. If he had ballstoppers like Melo and Kobe in a starting 5, that would hurt chemistry because it wouldn't feel like team oriented ball.

jaydubb
01-24-2015, 04:17 PM
Depends.. What team would he be coaching?

jerellh528
01-24-2015, 04:20 PM

Goose17
01-24-2015, 04:22 PM

FlashBolt
01-24-2015, 04:31 PM
Who knows? The dude can coach but it doesn't say much when you're constantly getting the greatest players on your team.

RLundi
01-24-2015, 04:32 PM
Depends. But probably none.

Currently, only 4 NBA head coaches have championships. So just by numbers alone, the odds are firmly against him that he'd be number 5. To do so, over the last 10 years, he would have to have beaten Greg Poppovich, Erik Spoelstra, Pat Riley, Rick Carlisle, Doc Rivers, Phil Jackson and Erik Spoelstra and LeBron. Considering all those coaches have much more experience, I don't think that would have happened.

Vinylman
01-24-2015, 04:33 PM
none... his teams mostly underachieve

PurpleLynch
01-24-2015, 04:40 PM
Depends. But probably none.

Currently, only 4 NBA head coaches have championships. So just by numbers alone, the odds are firmly against him that he'd be number 5. To do so, over the last 10 years, he would have to have beaten Greg Poppovich, Erik Spoelstra, Pat Riley, Rick Carlisle, Doc Rivers, Phil Jackson and Erik Spoelstra and LeBron. Considering all those coaches have much more experience, I don't think that would have happened.

Is he a coach now?

PurpleLynch
01-24-2015, 04:46 PM
If Coach K coached full time in the NBA, would he have at least multiple titles? I think so since he can coach in college and the international game, so I wouldn't see him having trouble if he's given the right players that gel together. If he had ballstoppers like Melo and Kobe in a starting 5, that would hurt chemistry because it wouldn't feel like team oriented ball.

It's not relevant to the questions. Plus,Phil had a "ballstopper",as you say, in his team and won 5 times.

Even having a ****** team would hurt chemistry. Or Philadelphia,Minnesota or Utah have teams full of "ballstoppers"?

Anyway,coach K can coach in the NBA,but it's impossible to predict how many championships he would win. Too many variables.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-24-2015, 04:52 PM
zero.

mngopher35
01-24-2015, 05:05 PM
Anyway,coach K can coach in the NBA,but it's impossible to predict how many championships he would win. Too many variables.

This, it takes a team to win a championship and there is much more even outside that. Without knowing the players on his team, the competition he goes up against, luck with injuries etc there is no way to even guess.

Is he capable of coaching a great team to a title? I'd say yes.

celticsman2009
01-24-2015, 05:17 PM
Is he a coach now?

Is Spoelstra a coach?

RLundi
01-24-2015, 05:45 PM
Is he a coach now?

No, I just meant a lot of people don't consider Spoelstra of the same pedigree as the other coaches mentioned. If it weren't for LeBron, he probably wouldn't have won anything is all I'm saying.

JesusNYY_Savior
01-24-2015, 05:50 PM
Are there many part time NBA coaches?

JasonJohnHorn
01-24-2015, 09:41 PM
He might have none. There are a lot of great coaches that don't have any, most notably Sloan, but some other solid coaches like Adleman and Karl.

Being a great coach doesn't mean winning titles. And college coaching is much different than NBA coaching. A great coach in college can get a team that doesn't have a lot of talent to win games against teams that have more talent. It's hard to do that in the NBA in a 7-game series. I mean... you have guys working as assistants that turn down head-coaching jobs in the NBA and college.

Great coach... no doubt... but no way of know how his style would translate to the NBA.

THE MTL
01-24-2015, 10:01 PM
I'm actually more inclined to say zero

Kaner
01-24-2015, 10:14 PM
I'd put money on zero pretty comfortably. Coach K's recruiting is much more important to Duke basketball then his coaching ability and that wouldn't mean anything in the NBA.

GrumpyOldMan
01-25-2015, 07:46 AM
I saw Elton Brand asked this last week. He was very kind in saying that Coach K is in the place he belongs. He didn't seem to think that his control freak, disciplinarian style would translate well into a long season in the pros. I'm inclined to believe the word of a man who has played for Coach K at Duke as well as for several NBA coaches.
I think 0 is probably about right.

JasonJohnHorn
01-25-2015, 09:48 AM
I saw Elton Brand asked this last week. He was very kind in saying that Coach K is in the place he belongs. He didn't seem to think that his control freak, disciplinarian style would translate well into a long season in the pros. I'm inclined to believe the word of a man who has played for Coach K at Duke as well as for several NBA coaches.
I think 0 is probably about right.

That is very true. Unless you are Phil Jackson or Pat Riley, who wins a bunch of rings in your first jobbecause you pretty much won the lottery, players are going to have authority over you. Even Pop was on the rope about to get fired after three years of watching the Duncan/Robison combo lose, missing out on some prime years for winning, but Duncan stuck up for him and so he kept his job.

In college, the coaches are the stars. The players are just there for a year or two if they are really good. The players have to listen to the coach because no school is going to fire their coach because one player is acting like a primadonna. And if that prima donna wants minutes and wants the ball to improve his draft position, he'll have to listen. But when you have Vince Carter under contract in his prime, and he doesn't like Lenny Wilkens, you assume that the player is there long term and that is who you need to win, so you drop the coach.

Going from one to the other is a huge paradigm shift.

JasonJohnHorn
01-25-2015, 09:50 AM
I'd put money on zero pretty comfortably. Coach K's recruiting is much more important to Duke basketball then his coaching ability and that wouldn't mean anything in the NBA.

This is a great point. To be a great recruiter in the NBA, you need to already have rings, and even then it can be hard (I haven't seen the Spurs make to many big free agent signings over the years). In college you can bring in two or three of the best players and have room for them in the rotation and need not worry about a 'salary' cap because they are playing for free. But in the NBA, even if you CAN convince three of the best, you 'd better be able to pay them all the max, or there is no point to even calling them up.

crewfan13
01-26-2015, 03:08 PM
No, I just meant a lot of people don't consider Spoelstra of the same pedigree as the other coaches mentioned. If it weren't for LeBron, he probably wouldn't have won anything is all I'm saying.

To be fair, you can probably say this about any coach. As much as people talk about Phil as a coach, for all his championships he always had at least 1 top 5 player in the league and another top 20 or so player in the league at worst.

Coaching in the nba is obviously a skill, but winning championships is just as much about team as it is coaching ability. I think switching from an average or good coach to a great coach can be the piece that finally propels a great team to a championship, but I don't think the best coach in the history of basketball can push an average to good team over the hump to win a championship unless all the stars align with the league in a downturn of talent and a few key injuries going their way.

If you let Coach K coach the Jordan Bulls or the Shaq and Kobe Lakers or even the Big 3 Heat era and he probably would have won a couple championships. If you just generally throw him into the league without any of those teams, and he's probably not the missing ingredient for a team like the Iverson 76ers to get over the hump.

That is very true. Unless you are Phil Jackson or Pat Riley, who wins a bunch of rings in your first jobbecause you pretty much won the lottery, players are going to have authority over you. Even Pop was on the rope about to get fired after three years of watching the Duncan/Robison combo lose, missing out on some prime years for winning, but Duncan stuck up for him and so he kept his job.

In college, the coaches are the stars. The players are just there for a year or two if they are really good. The players have to listen to the coach because no school is going to fire their coach because one player is acting like a primadonna. And if that prima donna wants minutes and wants the ball to improve his draft position, he'll have to listen. But when you have Vince Carter under contract in his prime, and he doesn't like Lenny Wilkens, you assume that the player is there long term and that is who you need to win, so you drop the coach.

Going from one to the other is a huge paradigm shift.

Agree with that last point. Its true in basically all college sports, but its especially true in big program college hoops. So many players are one or two and done these days, that the programs that consistently win can't point to one recruiting class and say that's why they're good. It has to be the coaches. In the NBA, its oftentimes the one player that stays most his career with a team that gets the most credit for sustained success.

Hawkeye15
01-26-2015, 03:20 PM
In college, coaches recruit kids into their system, and can throw a kid off the team at any point in time. The coaches have the control. In the NBA, the players have it.

So trying to guess his success level, is impossible. He would have minimal say on who he was to have on his team, etc.

I would guess he would be an above average coach. If he would have made the switch 8 years ago, maybe his complete college success helps him earn the respect of the players, but I am still not sure.

Just impossible to guess.