PDA

View Full Version : Did you think Golden State still make a mistake?

Ty Fast
01-24-2015, 03:54 PM
This summer when Kevin Love was on the market a lot of people thought Golden State was crazy for not giving up Klay Thompson to get Love. But after seeing what we have for the first half of the season do you still think that Golden State made a mistake or not?

Goose17
01-24-2015, 03:58 PM
This should be interesting.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-24-2015, 04:01 PM
Kevin Love is a stat stuffer

goingfor28
01-24-2015, 04:16 PM
No. Love was the best player on a crap team. GS made the right call

jaydubb
01-24-2015, 04:19 PM
Kevin love sux

RLundi
01-24-2015, 04:22 PM
Obviously a good move not trading Klay.

Is there a need for this thread? It seems highly unnecessary, especially after Klay scores 52 and considering Love has struggled this year. There's only one right answer here, right? I don't think you'll find many responses saying Love was the better choice.

PurpleLynch
01-24-2015, 04:47 PM
No.

Legitimate
01-24-2015, 04:52 PM
yes they made a mistake...now you get to hear what you wanted to hear :D..... jk

R. Johnson#3
01-24-2015, 04:55 PM
I think you made a mistake.

odiz
01-24-2015, 04:56 PM
Klay on his own is a better player then Love when you take into account defense. We probably were going to have to give up Barnes and/or a 1st as well. Would have been a franchise ruining trade IMO.

IKnowHoops
01-24-2015, 05:16 PM
Horrible move on Golden States part. I wouldn't want a player that drops 37 in a quarter all while shooting 100% from the field.

nastynice
01-24-2015, 07:29 PM
Obviously happy that we have Klay, never wanted to trade him OR barnes for Love. Only lee was the player I woulda been happy with trading for love.

Thing is tho, its hard to say how Love would have been doing had he been on our roster this year. You have a back court with Curry and Barnes, you could also some combo of Green, Lee, Bogut with him in the front court. Its hard to say, but I'm pretty confident on the dubs he'd be having a MUCH better year than what he's having in cleveland. GS knows how to pass the ball (thanks Kerr) and give everyone touches, one of the thing that makes us so dangerous, very rarely do we have people on the floor who are out of rhythm. Everyone touches and let's the game come to them. No forced shots, everything is natural and smart basketball.

Also, its hard to say if Klay woulda been this good in Minny. Although he's shown capable of carrying the load from time to time, would he be able to develop this way if he was the main guy? I'm sure his defense and shooting woulda still been great, but would he be getting the same type of looks, same opportunities to slash and get to the basket?

Anyway, I think we made the right move at that time, and I still do now. Just pointing out its not as easy as just seeing the two players and comparing straight up, cuz their teams are built and coached VERY differently.

Greedy22
01-24-2015, 07:59 PM
Obviously GS knew more than everyone else not going through with this. Really love the way Kerr has used him. No way they'd be this good with Mark Jackson.

king4day
01-24-2015, 08:08 PM
I don't think many thought he should be dealt for Love. The goal was to pair Love with Curry and Thompson. Not separate them.

xnick5757
01-24-2015, 08:19 PM
I'd still rather have Curry + Love than Curry + Thompson.

Love would thrive in GS's offense

M.I.A.
01-24-2015, 08:20 PM
This summer when Kevin Love was on the market a lot of people thought Golden State was crazy for not giving up Klay Thompson to get Love. But after seeing what we have for the first half of the season do you still think that Golden State made a mistake or not?

Obviously not. GS is the best in the west.

Goose17
01-24-2015, 08:26 PM

Really? Because it would have been Love + Martin for Lee, Klay and Barnes. That was the rumour at the time.

And do you really think Love would thrive in this offense? Really?

DemarDerozan
01-24-2015, 08:54 PM
Wiggins and Bennett for Klay even seems like a joke right now.

This season is proving one thing:

Talented well-rounded teams with highly skilled players are better than teams stuffed with self obsessed AAU "stars."

Memphis, Atlanta and Golden State all have outstanding teams that play team defense, team offense, and believe that the team is stronger than any one (or three) players.

This is due largely to coaching, management, and the MENTAL TOUGHNESS of the players. All three teams mirror the Spurs model. Not to mention physical toughness. There are no superfriends here. There are no soft D12 Panda bears either. There are no trips to Miami for "rehab" or Harden-esque statements to divide the lockerroom.

Second tier teams like the Blazers, Suns, Mavs, Wizards and Raps also emulate this model. The superteam is dead. And that is ****ing awesome for the sport.

moshy2
01-24-2015, 09:08 PM
I don't think many thought he should be dealt for Love. The goal was to pair Love with Curry and Thompson. Not separate them.

That was the Warriors goal. People here called the Warriors dumb for not trading an overpriced, overrated, one-trick pony of a SG for a surefire top 5 player in the NBA. Amazing what a half of a season can do. I shouldn't say too much, for a little bit I was kind of on that bandwagon, but I wasn't upset that we kept Klay. I don't know if I've been more happy to be wrong.

Vee-Rex
01-24-2015, 09:41 PM

Talented well-rounded teams with highly skilled players are better than teams stuffed with self obsessed AAU "stars."

Memphis, Atlanta and Golden State all have outstanding teams that play team defense, team offense, and believe that the team is stronger than any one (or three) players.

This is due largely to coaching, management, and the MENTAL TOUGHNESS of the players. All three teams mirror the Spurs model. Not to mention physical toughness. There are no superfriends here. There are no soft D12 Panda bears either. There are no trips to Miami for "rehab" or Harden-esque statements to divide the lockerroom.

Second tier teams like the Blazers, Suns, Mavs, Wizards and Raps also emulate this model. The superteam is dead. And that is ****ing awesome for the sport.

I know you're one of the bigger trolls on here but I felt I might as well respond anyway.

The "superteam" will never be dead. There was only one failed "superteam" and that was the Lakers when they acquired D-12. Coaching and chemistry is what will take any team to the next level, and if a team has that chemistry + multiple all-stars then you'll see them contend year after year.

Believe it or not the Heat would be contending and at the top of the East this year if LBJ stayed there. And if it wasn't for them facing such a god-like team in the finals then they'd have 3 rings. Love the Spurs, but I don't think any team can compare to them in terms of chemistry and mental toughness. Atlanta is just this year's Indiana Pacers (and that's giving them a little too much credit since they've done nothing in the playoffs).

I don't dislike Atlanta... I just think PSD has a wild tendency to jump on bandwagons throughout the year and I'm anxious to see how all these posters react during the playoffs.

Edit: It was my intention to stay on topic... Golden State has soooo much chemistry and amazing coaching on top of some tremendous talent. Definitely best in the league right now. Playoffs is where they'll truly be tested but I'll be rooting for 'em.

IKnowHoops
01-24-2015, 11:26 PM

What are you going to say when the trip to miami for rehab produces a Ring this year?

M.I.A.
01-24-2015, 11:30 PM

Don't sell yourself short, DeMar. The Raps are pretty dog gone tough, too.

nastynice
01-24-2015, 11:45 PM
The superteam is dead. And that is ****ing awesome for the sport.

I wouldn't say the super team is dead, however I think the formula of THREE superstars who are all at their potential by having the offense run thru them is proving to be a very bad formula. It just doesn't maximize the potential skill available. I think a two superteam team is still a good formula, because it allows you to have TWO people to lean on, while still allowing a complete team bench included.

I know the heat won 2 of 4 ships, but if you actually look at the amount of skill on that team, best player in the league + top 3 player in the league + top 10 player in the league, you would think there's no reason not to win all 4 yrs, and this is also aided by a historically garbage eastern conference their last 3 yrs (first year the east had legit contenders heat had to go through in the celtics and bulls).

What happened anyway?? James still exerted himself as the best player in the league, wade and bosh both slowly and painfully fell off the map. Why pay such high salaries to players who are going to contribute as much as other mid level guys? Might as well just pick up mid level guys and get that depth.

IMO its a very bad formula, I can't believe the Cavs decided to go with that formula again. Just doesn't make sense.

PayDaPiper
01-24-2015, 11:47 PM

Yea but Love can't guard a statue

nastynice
01-25-2015, 12:09 AM
Yea but Love can't guard a statue

yup. Which is why I personally would only be on board with a Love trade if it were for Lee. No way minny does that tho, wouldn't make sense for them

benzni
01-25-2015, 12:19 AM
Horrible move on Golden States part. I wouldn't want a player that drops 37 in a quarter all while shooting 100% from the field.

I agree with the one who knows hoops.

LakersIn5
01-25-2015, 12:46 AM
Send klay to minny lets see what happens

Sssmush
01-25-2015, 11:41 PM
Klay > Harden >> Dwight >> Kevin Love >> Carmelo

JEDean89
01-25-2015, 11:52 PM
if they could have gotten Love Curry and Thompson on the same team (summer of 2016 if love opts out that team would be unstoppable. K-Love in the Draymond Green role would be crazy. that said, Draymond Green + Klay Thompson is better than K-Love with Iggy at the 2, that team wouldn't be as good.

tredigs
01-26-2015, 12:46 AM
if they could have gotten Love Curry and Thompson on the same team (summer of 2016 if love opts out that team would be unstoppable. K-Love in the Draymond Green role would be crazy. that said, Draymond Green + Klay Thompson is better than K-Love with Iggy at the 2, that team wouldn't be as good.

I don't think K Love in Green's role makes us better. I think it's clearly worse. Love has the ability to be an effective #1 option, but we have plenty of scoring threats, and Draymond's right with him as a 3pt threat along with being a better passer. So Love's superior offense would really be mitigated on GS. And defensively, you're talking about removing a guy who can guard every position at a high level with Kevin Love... that would crush their ability to readily switch on screens (which is huge for GS's D), and effectively drop us from the #1 D to maybe 5th or 6th best. All in all, we'd definitely be worse. We basically already have Kevin Love lite on our team i the form of D. Lee (who's actually a much more effective passer than Love, but can't stretch the floor to 3pt land), and he's getting 19 mpg on our bench due to Draymond's impact.

rockets-fan
01-26-2015, 12:57 AM
I think their record speaks for itself....

lol, please
01-26-2015, 01:43 AM
Similar to mibs I was against it from the start and am glad it never happened.

tredigs
01-26-2015, 02:21 AM
I was for the trade initially. I did not know Draymond and Klay we're going to get this good, this quick. So glad it did not happen in retrospect, though we still would have been a little better than we were last year.

cmellofan15
01-26-2015, 02:32 AM
yeah (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DQla5j26Qc)

JV35
01-26-2015, 03:03 AM
I never thought they made a mistake in the first place.

Now that I think about it, I can't even imagine the mindset of the sort people (that totally lacked a clue) that would have thought GS made a mistake.

Sssmush
01-26-2015, 04:44 AM
honestly, Cleveland probably starts needing to ask this question about the fact that they traded Wiggins for KLove at this point

nastynice
01-26-2015, 04:59 AM
I don't think K Love in Green's role makes us better. I think it's clearly worse. Love has the ability to be an effective #1 option, but we have plenty of scoring threats, and Draymond's right with him as a 3pt threat along with being a better passer. So Love's superior offense would really be mitigated on GS. And defensively, you're talking about removing a guy who can guard every position at a high level with Kevin Love... that would crush their ability to readily switch on screens (which is huge for GS's D), and effectively drop us from the #1 D to maybe 5th or 6th best. All in all, we'd definitely be worse. We basically already have Kevin Love lite on our team i the form of D. Lee (who's actually a much more effective passer than Love, but can't stretch the floor to 3pt land), and he's getting 19 mpg on our bench due to Draymond's impact.

Exactly what I was thinking. The way our team playing, if Love was on our team he'd probably be coming off the bench lol

Sssmush
01-26-2015, 04:59 AM
see, this is where I think things actually have worked out for the Lakers in the last couple of years but it doesn't get talked about too much.

somehow, because the Lakers weren't the "cool" franchise du jour for free agents for whatever reason, they got to avoid some really marginal situations and keep their prospects open for the future.

For example, Dwight leaving. Really Dwight is kind of *meh* and we wouldn't want him at a max deal for the next 3 years, especially since he'll be talking about an extension/raise within a year.

Same thing with Carmelo signing in New York. Super cool for the Lakers. Wow. Wouldn't want the Lakers to have Carmelo right now maxed for the next 4 years after this season. At this point we might start to wonder if Amare is actually more tradeable than Carmelo.

Also the Lakers have gotten a chance to look at Kevin Love off of Minnesota. Not much chance they'd wanna max out Kevin Love after this season, even if KLove was brash enough to walk away from Cleveland and have "a Letter" delivered to the media about him.

So all in all, good things happening for the Lakers. Would've been nice if they had a way to make a trade for Wiggins... But Julius Randle should be super good starting next season.

Face it: the superstars of this league are in the FUTURE not in the past, and that is why Curry and Klay are so hot right now. The superstar guy(s) the Lakers need are not the ones who are already huge names and did some amazing things 5 years ago, it's the guys who are just coming up that might do some things 5 years in the future.

Curry and Klay look like the absolute class of the NBA right now. KLove looks like the lower end of people's speculations about him in Minnesota, a role player spot up shooter type guy that can get some (mostly garbage type) rebounds.

Goose17
01-26-2015, 06:41 AM
Similar to mibs I was against it from the start and am glad it never happened.

Ditto.

valade16
01-26-2015, 10:17 AM
At the time you would have been justified in thinking it was a mistake. Klay had posted a 14.3 PER, 55.5% TS, .112 WS/48 and a 108 Ortg. Those are not superstar numbers, and Love's were.

However that is only because we were looking from the outside in on the Warriors organization. Who knew back then that

A) Klay would take such a massive step forward in all phases to be this good

B) Draymond Green would become such a valuable glue player at PF.

I think everyone was short-sighted with the trade because they kept picturing the offense and forgetting the defense. GS has and had plenty of offense. What they needed was more defense. Enter Draymond Green, who fits a need way more than Love would have.

No, they did not make a mistake.

KnicksorBust
01-26-2015, 12:43 PM
You would have to have lost your mind to want to do that deal now after seeing the Warriors success this season... however, whether or not they made a mistake depends what the actual final deal would have been. Not just the rumors. If it was Klay for Love straight up then yes I think they should have done it but none of us were in that room. We don't know for a fact what extra pieces would had to have been added on both sides to get the deal done. With solid perimeter players like Iggy/Barnes/Green, I think they could have afforded dealing Klay to get back the best offensive PF in the game. He and Steph would have fit together fantastically and Bogut covers him perfectly on defense. Still would have loved to see him(Love) in GState.

Miltstar
01-26-2015, 12:54 PM
I don't think Klay would be this good if not for Curry and the system, that being said he's probably a better fit for the team than KLove

moshy2
01-26-2015, 06:17 PM
I don't think Klay would be this good if not for Curry and the system, that being said he's probably a better fit for the team than KLove

While this no doubt helps, the system is smart and Curry is an MVP candidate, there is a noticeable difference in Klay's game and attitude this year. He was perfectly fine with just launching at points last year. If he was cold he would go by the "shooters gotta shoot" mentality to break out of it. Now he looks to drive and get the mid range going when the 3 isn't there. It's hard to remember many dunks from Klay before this year that weren't wide open break aways. This year I've seen him dunk on multiple people and throw down one handed alley oops. That's flashy and doesn't necessarily make him a better player, but it shows his mindset is different. Idk maybe it's just me, but I didn't feel Klay was that committed to tapping his full potential until this year. 3's were his strength and he kinda stayed to that. Defensively, though, he's consistently shown growth. Basically where I'm going with this is I agree with the people that say Klay couldn't be a #1 option on a team right now, he needs Curry. But with all the growth he's showing and the fact that he's still young, I think he can be next year or the year after. Good news is both him and Curry will be here awhile, so we it'll be a constant question.

dodgersuck
01-26-2015, 06:20 PM
Is this honestly even a question with the way Thompson has been playing lately?

RiLoc
01-27-2015, 04:49 PM
Based on the results of a half a season, obviously keeping Klay Thompson was better. That has as much to do with continuity and fit as anything.

There are way more factors than "Love sucks" and "Klay's playing awesome." How would the other pieces fit? The balance with KMart/Iggy/Barnes/Dray/Love would've been different and there wouldn't've been any continuity. Love probably soaks up minutes @ 4, Dray plays more at 3, Barnes & Dray both get less minutes which would be unfortunate. That being said, I don't necessarily think it'd be a train wreck and if that happened, there is some balance with that group.

Klay would likely be in Minnesota and might be having an awful season, then there would a thread reading, "Did you think Golden State still make a mistake?" and people saying "Who was the tool in GS wanting to block that trade? lawlz"

Instead, KLove is on the team with no continuity and being misused. I don't think it's any secret the Cavs ditched Blatt's offense in favor of isolations and high pick-and-rolls like itís 2009, Mike Brown is coaching and Kevin Love standing at the three point line playing glorified Mike Miller. Thus Kevin Love's usage has fell from 28.8-28.9% the past three seasons to 22.2% this year. I was reading that last season Love had around 12 touches per game at the elbow which is close to league leading and this year is around 3 elbow touches per game which is really low. I think that matches the eyeball test and I suspect that has a lot to do with Love's offensive issues. It'd be nice to see Love actually moving around the court, getting him the ball inside 20 feet and running action around him; cuts, down screens and dribble hand offs. That's where he was great in the past.

So... Yea... So far, Golden State looks like they've made the right move and even more so if they do well in the playoffs. But I think it's difficult to judge what was a better long term choice at this moment in time. So many factors... Kevin Love's being bashed, but a post player than can shoot threes and rebounds is extremely valuable in the right situation. How would Golden State approach their tax situation in each situation? Which lineup would be easier to build around in several years?

Klay > Harden

I'm not a Harden fan, but let's reel it in a bit:

Harden
RPM: 6.73
WS : 9.9
TS%: 61.6%
PPG: 27.6
APG: 6.7
RPG: 5.6

Klay
RPM: 3.72
WS : 5.9
TS%: 61.5%
PPG: 22.9
APG: 3.0
RPG: 3.5

nastynice
01-27-2015, 05:17 PM
While this no doubt helps, the system is smart and Curry is an MVP candidate, there is a noticeable difference in Klay's game and attitude this year. He was perfectly fine with just launching at points last year. If he was cold he would go by the "shooters gotta shoot" mentality to break out of it. Now he looks to drive and get the mid range going when the 3 isn't there. It's hard to remember many dunks from Klay before this year that weren't wide open break aways. This year I've seen him dunk on multiple people and throw down one handed alley oops. That's flashy and doesn't necessarily make him a better player, but it shows his mindset is different. Idk maybe it's just me, but I didn't feel Klay was that committed to tapping his full potential until this year. 3's were his strength and he kinda stayed to that. Defensively, though, he's consistently shown growth. Basically where I'm going with this is I agree with the people that say Klay couldn't be a #1 option on a team right now, he needs Curry. But with all the growth he's showing and the fact that he's still young, I think he can be next year or the year after. Good news is both him and Curry will be here awhile, so we it'll be a constant question.

He def made some huge strides this year, but honestly I think he was showing flashes of it last year. Well, at least in the sense that he was trying to become more than just a shooter. I remember him trying to work the post and develop a midrange game that wasn't predicated off of catch and shoot.

I think what we're seeing this year is the same thing, except now he's got some real game experience plus an offseason of working on it under his belt. And of course after proving that he CAN develop his game as such, his mentality is definitely much more fearless, whereas last year he was trying to do diff things, but was much more unsure and passive.

lol, please
01-28-2015, 01:53 PM
He def made some huge strides this year, but honestly I think he was showing flashes of it last year. Well, at least in the sense that he was trying to become more than just a shooter. I remember him trying to work the post and develop a midrange game that wasn't predicated off of catch and shoot.

I think what we're seeing this year is the same thing, except now he's got some real game experience plus an offseason of working on it under his belt. And of course after proving that he CAN develop his game as such, his mentality is definitely much more fearless, whereas last year he was trying to do diff things, but was much more unsure and passive.
Good post. I agree completely.

Stinkyoutsider
01-28-2015, 02:16 PM
The Warriors did the smart thing and didn't make the deal. You can't teach chemistry and Thompson and Curry have it together.

ThornMo
01-28-2015, 03:16 PM
It would have been a mistake to trade Klay. Glad they kept him. The real mistake was the knicks trading for carmelo in 2011. They are the new clippers

Sly Guy
01-28-2015, 11:28 PM
I thought pulling th trigger on that trade would have been a mistake. Lee brings enough at the 4 already, Love would have been a slight upgrade at a position they already have pretty much shored up.

Lloyd Christmas
01-29-2015, 01:49 AM
I was all for that trade. Samsonite... I was way off.

lol, please
01-29-2015, 01:51 AM
I was all for that trade. Samsonite... I was way off.
:laugh2: Lacob totally redeemed himself!!!

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-29-2015, 12:38 PM
Klay or Wiggins, Wolves still won either way getting rid of Love.

lol, please
02-01-2015, 03:46 AM
Give me Wiggins over klay 7 days a week, twice on Sundays, and four times on Mondays.