PDA

View Full Version : Hawks or Warriors, which team has been more impressive?

FlashBolt
01-23-2015, 11:34 PM
Haven't watched much basketball thus far but I would like to hear what some of ya'll think.

goingfor28
01-23-2015, 11:46 PM
I'd say Hawks bc nobody expected them to be on the level they are. Not trying to take away from GS but the Hawks have got to be the feel good surprise team of the year so far. Everyone talked about the East being Cavs, Bulls, Raptors and Wizards.

lincecum=future
01-23-2015, 11:48 PM
Definitely the Hawks. Haven't been able to catch too many of their games this year but nobody saw this coming even playing in the East.

IKnowHoops
01-23-2015, 11:51 PM
Hawks, but I want to see them both play.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-24-2015, 12:00 AM
Hawks have exceeded expectations more than the Warriors have in most people's eyes.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-24-2015, 12:01 AM
Hawks have 36 wins about halfway through the season. They won 38 games all of last year.

*Silver&Black*
01-24-2015, 12:09 AM
Coach Bud for MVP!

moshy2
01-24-2015, 12:10 AM
Hawks have been wildly impressive and exceeded expectations by a mile. Tons of kudos to them. Best team in the East. That being said, I have to say Warriors. One is doing it against the East, one is doing it against the West. One is doing it with a 7 pt differential, one is doing it with a 12 pt differential. February 6 will be gigantic

*Silver&Black*
01-24-2015, 12:12 AM
Hawks has the best record against West teams in the league.

moshy2
01-24-2015, 12:19 AM
In less than half as many games

mavwar53
01-24-2015, 12:33 AM
Hawks more unexpected, warriors more impressive.

Best record in the way better conference is much more impressive.

Clippersfan86
01-24-2015, 01:58 AM
Well... if you're asking which is the better team, Warriors (although not by a lot). If you're asking which has been more impressive in reference to expectations etc, Hawks in a landslide. Before the season even started I thought TALENT wise the Warriors would be the best top to bottom in the NBA. So while their dominance has been a bit surprising, it's not completely shocking.

The Hawks on the other hand won 38 games last year and are known as a treadmill early exit playoff team in recent years. So for them to dominate so thoroughly including something like 12-2 vs the best of the west out of nowhere, with no expectations.. is more "impressive". Either way, barring a major injury this very well could be the finals matchup come June.

goingfor28
01-24-2015, 02:02 AM
The Hawks are 29-2 in their last 31. Nuff said.

obie
01-24-2015, 02:14 AM
Hawks are in the East...so... Dubs.

Clippersfan86
01-24-2015, 02:45 AM

The question isn't which team is better though.

nastynice
01-24-2015, 03:05 AM

That's nuts. I dont know if its just me, but somehow this almost seems to be under the radar

JV35
01-24-2015, 03:07 AM
Obviously the Hawks.

GS was a 51 win team last year.

The Hawks won 38 last year.

GS was expected to win big. The Hawks came out of nowhere.

likemystylez
01-24-2015, 03:34 AM

they play in the d league though....

I mean the eastern conference

likemystylez
01-24-2015, 03:34 AM

I mean the eastern conference.... sorry I get the two of them confused

goingfor28
01-24-2015, 03:42 AM

I mean the eastern conference
They also beating up on West teams

Cute how you posted the exact same thing just to add that

likemystylez
01-24-2015, 03:48 AM
They also beating up on West teams

Cute how you posted the exact same thing just to add that

yeah- it froze when i was sending and i just tried to add on and resend.

Anyways- warriors have a better record in a better conference and have had more injuries. Also the warriors margins are historic which is especially impressive considering they play in what might be the toughest conference the nba has ever seen. Going into the season there were probably atleast 10 teams capable of winning 50 games. (I dont expect 10 teams to actually win 50).... but in the west there are a lot of good teams who just happen to be solid teams that a time when it requires you to be a contender to get into the playoffs

goingfor28
01-24-2015, 03:50 AM
No one said the warriors aren't impressive. But the Hawks were barely an 8 seed last year and have just about already matched last year's win total.

tredigs
01-24-2015, 01:45 PM
All I know is that I watched that "Grantland basketball hour" special, listened to a Simmons podcast on the NBA, and listened to two straight days of Dan Patrick show this past week (one of them guest hosted by Chris Mannix, who mostly focuses on basketball), and I heard maybe two passing references on the Warriors. A LOT of Hawks talk. So to the public, it is clearly Atlanta.

In power rankings by actual people, the Hawks are generally #1.

To me, what the Warriors are doing in what is arguably the toughest conference in NBA history should be major news in the NBA world. Their SRS is top 5 in NBA history. They are crushing everyone.

As great as the Hawks have been - and they have been great, I'm a big fan of what they're doing - the Warriors have been much better.

I'm a Warriors fan though, so that will fall on deaf ears.

Goose17
01-24-2015, 02:00 PM
All I know is that I watched that "Grantland basketball hour" special, listened to a Simmons podcast on the NBA, and listened to two straight days of Dan Patrick show this past week (one of them guest hosted by Chris Mannix, who mostly focuses on basketball), and I heard maybe two passing references on the Warriors. A LOT of Hawks talk. So to the public, it is clearly Atlanta.

In power rankings by actual people, the Hawks are generally #1.

To me, what the Warriors are doing in what is arguably the toughest conference in NBA history should be major news in the NBA world. Their SRS is top 5 in NBA history. They are crushing everyone.

As great as the Hawks have been - and they have been great, I'm a big fan of what they're doing - the Warriors have been much better.

I'm a Warriors fan though, so that will fall on deaf ears.

I agree with all of this^

nycericanguy
01-24-2015, 02:05 PM
Hawks... GSW has been impressive... they might win 65 games... but they have arguably the best backcourt in NBA history and two of the best shooters in NBA history.

Not to mention Lee, Bogut, Iggy, Green, Barnes... that team should win 55 games easy. and they've had that core together for a while which helps.

ATL doesn't really have a single top 20 player on their roster, and they started 7-6 and are now 29-2... thats just insane. A lot of people didn't even have them making the playoffs and now they are on pace to win 67 games.

torocan
01-24-2015, 02:30 PM
GSW's record is more impressive. However, given the respective talent of the teams, what the Hawks are doing is significantly more impressive to me.

How many coaches in the NBA could pull 36-8, 29-2, 15 straight wins, 11 straight road wins, and 11-2 vs the West out of this Atlanta roster?

Not. Very. Many.

Clippersfan86
01-24-2015, 03:35 PM
GSW's record is more impressive. However, given the respective talent of the teams, what the Hawks are doing is significantly more impressive to me.

How many coaches in the NBA could pull 36-8, 29-2, 15 straight wins, 11 straight road wins, and 11-2 vs the West out of this Atlanta roster?

Not. Very. Many.

Exactly.

Goose17
01-24-2015, 03:38 PM
I would love to see the Dubs record if they were playing in the East. They've lost zero games to an Eastern Conference team all year.

Iron24th
01-24-2015, 06:09 PM
The hawks, we didn't see that coming and they have litteraly NO SUPERSTAR.

M.I.A.
01-24-2015, 06:23 PM

You missed the post about Atl having the best record against the West? Forgiven.

M.I.A.
01-24-2015, 06:25 PM

11-2 vs the West. Forgiven.

M.I.A.
01-24-2015, 06:26 PM
The hawks, we didn't see that coming and they have litteraly NO SUPERSTAR.

Sure we do. You'll see him at the all star game, too.

His name is Coach Bud.

KnicksorBust
01-24-2015, 06:34 PM
Dont overthink it. One has the better record and plays in the far superior conference.

Sanjay
01-24-2015, 06:43 PM
Dont overthink it. One has the better record and plays in the far superior conference.

I guess it depends how you define impressive, if it is which team is better then it would definitely be the Warriors, but if it is compared to pre-season predictions then it would have to be the Hawks.

Goose17
01-24-2015, 06:50 PM
I guess it depends how you define impressive, if it is which team is better then it would definitely be the Warriors, but if it is compared to pre-season predictions then it would have to be the Hawks.

This is the correct answer.

M.I.A.
01-24-2015, 07:30 PM

Hawks are 11-2 against the WC. They don't scare us none. Bring it. If you win, fine. But win before you assume you have the better team.

KnicksorBust
01-24-2015, 08:00 PM

What does pre-season predictions have to do with it? That makes them more "surprising" not impressive.

KnicksorBust
01-24-2015, 08:00 PM

Hawks are 11-2 against the WC. They don't scare us none. Bring it. If you win, fine. But win before you assume you have the better team.

Nobody said they should scare you.

Goose17
01-24-2015, 08:02 PM

Better record = better team.

M.I.A.
01-24-2015, 08:15 PM
Better record = better team.

Yeah. Tell that to FSU.

I'll wait until Feb . 6 before I draw a conclusion.

Goose17
01-24-2015, 08:32 PM
Yeah. Tell that to FSU.

I'll wait until Feb . 6 before I draw a conclusion.

One game?

If you're going to decide who the better team is head to head then it needs to be in a seven game playoff series. Not one random regular season game.

Do you think the Lakers are better than GSW? They beat us this year. Are Milwaukee and Orlando better than Atlanta? They beat them this year.

One game isn't ****.

At the very least you need to look at the regular season series but ideally you want a seven game playoff series.

Even then, that's not deciding who the best team is. If Lakers were to win all four of the regular season series games against GSW that wouldn't make them the best team, they still suck, Warriors still have the best record. It would make them a bad match up for Golden State.

If the Knicks can beat Cleveland and Cleveland beat Toronto then Toronto beat Atlanta. I guess that means N.Y > Atlanta??

Nah, not how it works.

Best record = best team.

InRoseWeTrust
01-24-2015, 08:43 PM

Amen. People on here have gotten a little carried away with the Western Conference's superiority, imo. Yes, it's a better and deeper conference, but the East has some fine competition in it, along with plenty of teams that have torn through some of the best from the West.

moshy2
01-24-2015, 09:18 PM
You missed the post about Atl having the best record against the West? Forgiven.

You missed the post where they've played less than half as many games against the West? Forgiven

1 win vs Houston or 4?
1 win vs OKC or 3?
Both lost to Spurs and of all people the Lakers.

You must have also missed the post where the Warriors are undefeated against the East? Forgiven

valade16
01-24-2015, 09:44 PM
In regards to who has been more of a surprise, I would argue both have been equally surprising.

Sure nobody expected the Hawks to be so good, but how many expected the Warriors to play like one of the best teams ever?

M.I.A.
01-24-2015, 10:25 PM
One game?

If you're going to decide who the better team is head to head then it needs to be in a seven game playoff series. Not one random regular season game.

Do you think the Lakers are better than GSW? They beat us this year. Are Milwaukee and Orlando better than Atlanta? They beat them this year.

One game isn't ****.

At the very least you need to look at the regular season series but ideally you want a seven game playoff series.

Even then, that's not deciding who the best team is. If Lakers were to win all four of the regular season series games against GSW that wouldn't make them the best team, they still suck, Warriors still have the best record. It would make them a bad match up for Golden State.

If the Knicks can beat Cleveland and Cleveland beat Toronto then Toronto beat Atlanta. I guess that means N.Y > Atlanta??

Nah, not how it works.

Best record = best team.

We will see on Feb. 6 who has the better team. I don't care about their record or their conference or the other junk you posted. We don't get to see 7 games until the playoffs so head to head is the only way for now.

M.I.A.
01-24-2015, 10:26 PM
You missed the post where they've played less than half as many games against the West? Forgiven

1 win vs Houston or 4?
1 win vs OKC or 3?
Both lost to Spurs and of all people the Lakers.

You must have also missed the post where the Warriors are undefeated against the East? Forgiven

I'll reserve judgment until Feb. 6.

FlashBolt
01-24-2015, 10:26 PM
The top 5 teams in the East could handle the West.. Let's not get carried away here.

goingfor28
01-25-2015, 12:34 AM
Bingo

valade16
01-25-2015, 12:46 AM
The top 5 teams in the East could handle the West.. Let's not get carried away here.

Agreed. But the difference is the top 10 teams in the West could handle the East.

M.I.A.
01-25-2015, 02:06 PM
Agreed. But the difference is the top 10 teams in the West could handle the East.

So what? This conference superiority crap means nothing. I don't root for a NBA conference.

Goose17
01-25-2015, 03:52 PM

"handle" them in what sense?

FlashBolt
01-26-2015, 11:53 AM
"handle" them in what sense?

In the sense that they can give a strong battle.

Bulls, Wizard, Cavailers, Toronto, and Hawks have a 66% record against the West. The top 5 teams in West have a 72% record against East. Again, not saying East is better than West. However, the top 5 teams in East are far better than the Eastern Conference in general. Let's not get fooled by this dispersion.

KnicksorBust
01-26-2015, 12:34 PM

Bulls, Wizard, Cavailers, Toronto, and Hawks have a 66% record against the West. The top 5 teams in West have a 72% record against East. Again, not saying East is better than West. However, the top 5 teams in East are far better than the Eastern Conference in general. Let's not get fooled by this dispersion.

I agree. As recently as two seasons ago you had a lot of soft records in the East like the Knicks. That was a #2 seed with no potential to win a title. The East goes a legit 5 teams deep. I really don't see how Toronto could come out of the East but the other 4 teams are very dangerous. And this real power change is because teams like ATL and Washington are true contenders now.

ATX
01-26-2015, 12:37 PM
I think we all knew the Warriors would be good...Probably not this good, but damn good non the less. The Hawks however, have been the most impressive, seeing as how their jump in winning % is immense.

torocan
01-26-2015, 12:43 PM
I think we all knew the Warriors would be good...Probably not this good, but damn good non the less. The Hawks however, have been the most impressive, seeing as how their jump in winning % is immense.

Immense is right.

To put this in perspective...

Atlanta Hawks 2013/14 - 38 wins
Atlanta Hawks 2014/15 - 37 wins in 45 games. And there are still 9 games left until the All Star Break.

If the Hawks go around .500 for the next 37 games (18-19), they'll still have a 55 win season. To put that in perspective, last season the #1 seed Miami Heat had 54 wins.

The Hawks have gone from surprising to amazing to ridiculous in the span of a month.

FlashBolt
01-26-2015, 02:06 PM
I too side with Hawks. I get that there are two ways of looking into this. Are Hawks the most impressive team in general, or are the Warriors because they have a better record in a tougher conference? It's the Hawks for me. They had zero expectations coming into this season. They made no significant changes despite finishing 38-44 last season. (btw, they have 37 wins and there are still 37 games remaining). They finished just average in terms of defense/offense last season. No one expected this and as of now, they are the best team in the NBA. The past 32 games, they are 30-2. With a 16 game winning streak, how can you possibly say they aren't? Yes, Warriors have the best record, but coming into this season, there was a belief that they would be one of the better teams; especially with how well Green played in the playoffs. Klay also played exceptionally well in the FIBA competition. Tougher conference, that's true. But, Atlanta are 12-2 against West. In short, they have a better record against West than they do against East. Most of these losses were also in the beginning of the season.. I mean 30-2 the past 32 games? No brainer here..

Daze9900
01-26-2015, 02:25 PM
Hawks more unexpected, warriors more impressive.

Best record in the way better conference is much more impressive.

I love these threads everyone can argue their opinion and it's all valid I just have to give it to the Hawks because no one expected it and they lost Lou Williams on their bench who is a big part of the Raptors playing well. Warriors were already proclaimed to be the best back court of all-time by Jerry West and Mark Jackson and they kept adding pieces. We thought they would be good but coaching and injuries is what's believed to have held them back. Using your own argument against you as far as Warriors being "impressive" I would say that the way the Hawks have just beat up on the western conference as well is just as impressive. Both teams playing great ball and both are impressive

Goose17
01-26-2015, 02:38 PM

I think Bulls, Wizards, Toronto and Hawks belong in that category. Cavs? They've had a good week or so. Let's see how it goes.

In general I agree, I just wanted to clarify what you meant by "handle" (I was concerned you meant handle as in handle-with-ease, like they would walk over the west).

I too side with Hawks. I get that there are two ways of looking into this. Are Hawks the most impressive team in general, or are the Warriors because they have a better record in a tougher conference? It's the Hawks for me. They had zero expectations coming into this season. They made no significant changes despite finishing 38-44 last season. (btw, they have 37 wins and there are still 37 games remaining). They finished just average in terms of defense/offense last season. No one expected this and as of now, they are the best team in the NBA. The past 32 games, they are 30-2. With a 16 game winning streak, how can you possibly say they aren't? Yes, Warriors have the best record, but coming into this season, there was a belief that they would be one of the better teams; especially with how well Green played in the playoffs. Klay also played exceptionally well in the FIBA competition. Tougher conference, that's true. But, Atlanta are 12-2 against West. In short, they have a better record against West than they do against East. Most of these losses were also in the beginning of the season.. I mean 30-2 the past 32 games? No brainer here..

I totally get that perspective. And I think the Hawks have been way more surprising, but I disagree with them being more "impressive".

My Dubs don't just have the best record in the West;

So far, they have the fourth best MOV and SRS in league history. (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/tsl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=team_totals&lg_id=NBA&year_min=&year_max=&franch_id=&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=srs)

We have the best defense in the league (leading the league in defensive efficiency) and we are first in Opponent FG%, 2nd in BPG, 3rd in opponent 3pt% and 6th in steals.

We have the best record in the league, lead the league in PPG, FG, APG, fast break points and scoring margin. We're also 3rd in 3 point FG% and fourth in offensive efficiency.

Only 9 teams in league history have had the same record or better at this point of the season. Six of those 9 went on to win a championship that same year.

If we win the next 4 home games we will be tied for the 3rd longest home winning streak in NBA history.

I can go on. I mean we could end up with the second best record in NBA history when all is said and done. Who knows.

I totally get your perspective on it though, I mean I am biased.

D-Leethal
01-26-2015, 02:55 PM
Hawks. They have guys on their bench I have never even heard of and guys who would barely make an the NBA roster 1-2 years ago. Dubs are stacked from top to bottom, I think most everyone thought it was only a matter of time before they became a top team out west. Now, did everyone think they would be THIS good THIS fast with new coach Kerr? No, but the Hawks are still more surprising in that regard.

valade16
01-26-2015, 03:16 PM

Let's not act like they were predicted to not make the playoffs or anything. They were expected to be a playoff team quite easily.

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/08/25/eastern-conference-power-rankings-preseason-cavaliers-bulls

Here they were ranked 5th in the conference, and the author even points out they were the 3rd best team in the East last season when Horford was healthy. That's the key. People seem to act like they're the same team. They're not. They didn't have Horford last season. Had he been healthy their record would have been way better.

Here's a Western Conference standings prediction:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11334331/2014-summer-forecast-west-standings

The Warriors were 7th. With their ceiling being listed at 3rd/4th. The same cite had the Hawks 7th:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11334160/2014-summer-forecast-east-standings

With a ceiling of 3rd.

I bet there were plenty of preseason predictions that didn't have the Warriors doing very much. Heck, I remember when people were adamant the Rockets and Clippers were better. I think this "we expected them to be amazing" thing is hindsight, because not many people really thought that.

FlashBolt
01-26-2015, 03:34 PM
I think Bulls, Wizards, Toronto and Hawks belong in that category. Cavs? They've had a good week or so. Let's see how it goes.

In general I agree, I just wanted to clarify what you meant by "handle" (I was concerned you meant handle as in handle-with-ease, like they would walk over the west).

I totally get that perspective. And I think the Hawks have been way more surprising, but I disagree with them being more "impressive".

My Dubs don't just have the best record in the West;

So far, they have the fourth best MOV and SRS in league history. (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/tsl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=team_totals&lg_id=NBA&year_min=&year_max=&franch_id=&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=srs)

We have the best defense in the league (leading the league in defensive efficiency) and we are first in Opponent FG%, 2nd in BPG, 3rd in opponent 3pt% and 6th in steals.

We have the best record in the league, lead the league in PPG, FG, APG, fast break points and scoring margin. We're also 3rd in 3 point FG% and fourth in offensive efficiency.

Only 9 teams in league history have had the same record or better at this point of the season. Six of those 9 went on to win a championship that same year.

If we win the next 4 home games we will be tied for the 3rd longest home winning streak in NBA history.

I can go on. I mean we could end up with the second best record in NBA history when all is said and done. Who knows.

I totally get your perspective on it though, I mean I am biased.

There's really no reason to think Cavs won't be contenders.
1) LeBron is healthy. This can't be denied considering he has attempted more shots in the paint and the fact that he's actually making an effort to drive. We never saw LeBron drive to the paint before sitting out.
2) Waiters was a huge problem. If you saw Cavs play, you knew Waiters had to go. It's why no one is saying anything about losing Waiters. Short: They simply don't care about losing Waiters.
3) Mosgov is like Varejao except a better defender. He's not as good of a passer, not as good as a FT shooter, and not as good offensively, but he is a big body defender who can rebound, cause issues in the paint, and he fits perfectly with Love.
4) Shumpert. Through 25 min, Cavs have an ORTG of 150 and DRTG of 65 with Shump. Again, short sample, but we all know Shumpert can play defense. This will be a huge pickup when you're going against a tough backcourt. Also, Irving has been a stud on defense as of late. The past six games, the opposing PG has averaged 35 FG% against him.

Yes, six games isn't a huge deal. Yes, they played the Lakers, Utah, and Bobcats. However, they also played the Bulls, Clippers, and OKC. Three of the top teams in the NBA.

As for Hawks vs Warriors. I truly don't think there is a wrong choice. Warriors are playing lights out. Atlanta has been on a tear and has equaled the longest winning streak (also held by Warriors) in the NBA. No doubt, you're not being biased at all. Both are equally impressive. Hawks just do it for me because legitimately, 99% of us had Cavs, Bulls, and Pacers above the pack. With Pacers losing PG, I think it's safe to say that no one expected Hawks to be 1st.

Trwood12
01-26-2015, 03:41 PM
I think that the hawks have been more impressive as far as crazy improvement from last season, but I still think that the warriors are the better team.

Cal827
01-26-2015, 03:42 PM
Hawks. What have the Warriors done of late?

IKnowHoops
01-26-2015, 04:57 PM
The Cavs will beat both, and will prove better than both when it becomes an elimination scenario IMO. People underestimate Lebron (still) and the fact they are a new team that is still putting it together. They are getting better and better with every game and by the end of the season (IMO) will be ready to beat anyone and everyone.

Goose17
01-26-2015, 04:58 PM
The Cavs will beat both

:laugh:

M.I.A.
01-26-2015, 06:13 PM
:laugh:

Well, I don't fault a Cavs fan for having faith in his team. They've been playing better lately and it is his team.

albertajaysfan
01-26-2015, 06:14 PM
I'd say Hawks bc nobody expected them to be on the level they are. Not trying to take away from GS but the Hawks have got to be the feel good surprise team of the year so far. Everyone talked about the East being Cavs, Bulls, Raptors and Wizards.

exactly this.

I expected GS to be awesome. They were my pick to make it out of the West.

I thought Atlanta would be top 5 in the East not running away with it at the midway point of the season.

albertajaysfan
01-26-2015, 06:15 PM

You are kidding right?

They are on pace for only the 2nd 70 win season ever.

M.I.A.
01-26-2015, 06:16 PM

They are kicking *** and taking names. 36-6, I don't understand why you ask that. If they beat my Hawks I won't be surprised.

Goose17
01-26-2015, 06:24 PM
Well, I don't fault a Cavs fan for having faith in his team. They've been playing better lately and it is his team.

True.

IKnowHoops
01-26-2015, 07:14 PM

:cheers:

But I must say, before any Cavs fans see this. I am more of a Lebron fan who does like the Cavs team and players with Lebron on the squad. I was cheering for Lebron on the Heat the last 4 years. I know this rubs some people the wrong way but it is what it is. No matter what Team Bron is on, I'll cheer for him to win...partly because he gets so much hate, but mostly because I just love to watch him play.

Cal827
01-26-2015, 07:37 PM
You are kidding right?

They are on pace for only the 2nd 70 win season ever.

Yeah, but it's a lot easier to win in the Western conference.

andy2518
01-26-2015, 07:39 PM
Hawks have been more impressive in the notion that no one expected this from them. Overall the Warriors for sure though. If that makes sense.

IKnowHoops
01-26-2015, 07:57 PM

Got em.

M.I.A.
01-26-2015, 09:38 PM
:cheers:

But I must say, before any Cavs fans see this. I am more of a Lebron fan who does like the Cavs team and players with Lebron on the squad. I was cheering for Lebron on the Heat the last 4 years. I know this rubs some people the wrong way but it is what it is. No matter what Team Bron is on, I'll cheer for him to win...partly because he gets so much hate, but mostly because I just love to watch him play.

No problem. I actually root for all the ACC teams in all sports like my caption next to my avatar indicates. You can root for whoever you want, its a free country.

Cal827
01-26-2015, 10:37 PM
Got em.

Damn, I thought we would just be able to skip by that one :D

It's still pretty hard to tell.

With Atlanta, they came out of nowhere and not only have beaten some of the big teams in the East and West, but have Dominated them.

Golden State on the other hand, has won some huge games, while dealing with injury problems.

I would still say Atlanta (by a hair), just because there's no big star on that team and they are still dominating. It's a collective effort there.

In Golden State, some people did predict them to be atop the West in the offseason. Curry is already a star (looks like he might bloom into a superstar soon enough though). Thompson has really emerged though lol

Goose17
01-27-2015, 02:44 AM

:laugh: I like you. You're funny.

lol, please
01-27-2015, 02:51 AM
Haven't watched much basketball thus far but I would like to hear what some of ya'll think.

As a warriors fan I have to say the Hawks. I can't say I predicted that we would be having the season we are having, but I did expect the team to get better this season, and not because of Kerr, but because of the existing chemistry, and the continued development of our core. The hawks are a complete surprise to me.

M.I.A.
01-27-2015, 08:35 AM
I would still say Atlanta (by a hair), just because there's no big star on that team and they are still dominating.

We have one big star and he did make it to the all star game.

Give up?

Coach Bud

pebloemer
01-27-2015, 09:42 AM
Hawks over the past 31 games have been the most impressive team in the NBA. When you consider their 7-6 start (a returning from injury Horford would have something to do with the start Id imagine), it is quite phenomenal how they've been playing for the bulk of the season.

On the other hand, Bogut has missed a bunch of time this season and I think the Warriors have only lost 2 games that he has been in the lineup (out of 29).

A healthy Warriors vs a healthy Hawks NBA finals would be phenomenal to watch.

M.I.A.
01-27-2015, 11:04 AM
Hawks over the past 31 games have been the most impressive team in the NBA. When you consider their 7-6 start (a returning from injury Horford would have something to do with the start Id imagine), it is quite phenomenal how they've been playing for the bulk of the season.

On the other hand, Bogut has missed a bunch of time this season and I think the Warriors have only lost 2 games that he has been in the lineup (out of 29).

A healthy Warriors vs a healthy Hawks NBA finals would be phenomenal to watch.

Hopefully we'll get a good preview on Feb. 6. But they both have to make it there first, which is hardly a given.

tredigs
01-27-2015, 06:13 PM
The point differential gap between the Warriors and Hawks at 1/2 is the same as the point differential gap between the Hawks and Bulls at 2/10. And the Warriors play in the West. If that helps put things in perspective.

I get the idea of the Hawks being a better story because they have less perceived talent (though they're insanely talented with Horford in there with a full off-season to gel with Millsap, and Teague+Korver playing at their highest levels to date) and that they were only expected to be a 40 win team, but the Warriors were only expected to win 50 (with many arguing they'd fall off a bit and go under that total). The comfort that a lot of people are now showing with the Warriors being the cream of the crop or next to it is pretty new/strange.

lol, please
01-27-2015, 11:26 PM
It shouldn't be strange, you have acknowledged yourself before that the casual fans and media don't embrace a team as a true contender until they actually make it to the WCF or finals. Personally I analyze projections and strength of schedule and average WS and health among other things, but most fans don't bother, most fans don't have the minerals to put yayper on the dubs winning it all in the preseason either like me.

IKnowHoops
01-29-2015, 03:08 PM
The point differential gap between the Warriors and Hawks at 1/2 is the same as the point differential gap between the Hawks and Bulls at 2/10. And the Warriors play in the West. If that helps put things in perspective.

I get the idea of the Hawks being a better story because they have less perceived talent (though they're insanely talented with Horford in there with a full off-season to gel with Millsap, and Teague+Korver playing at their highest levels to date) and that they were only expected to be a 40 win team, but the Warriors were only expected to win 50 (with many arguing they'd fall off a bit and go under that total). The comfort that a lot of people are now showing with the Warriors being the cream of the crop or next to it is pretty new/strange.

Styles make fights, as Warriors ad Bulls fans just witnessed. Plus I think better defense is played in the east.

tredigs
01-29-2015, 03:14 PM
Styles make fights, as Warriors ad Bulls fans just witnessed. Plus I think better defense is played in the east.

Eh - full strength teams also make fights. As do larger than 1 game sample sizes.

Anything to back up the D comment tho'? 4 of the top 6 ranked D's are in the West. Plus, as a guy who thinks the Cavs are going to win it all, shouldn't you be a "D's overrated" kinda guy?

FlashBolt
01-29-2015, 03:16 PM
Eh - full strength teams also make fights. As do larger than 1 game sample sizes.

Anything to back up the D comment tho'? 4 of the top 6 ranked D's are in the West. Plus, as a guy who thinks the Cavs are going to win it all, shouldn't you be a "D's overrated" kinda guy?

Not to mention 4 of the top 5 offensive teams are in the West as well. Kinda makes defense tougher. I think Portland breaks the streak. Can't imagine Lillard getting beat by two EC PG's. That's a bad look.

tredigs
01-29-2015, 03:26 PM
Not to mention 4 of the top 5 offensive teams are in the West as well. Kinda makes defense tougher. I think Portland breaks the streak. Can't imagine Lillard getting beat by two EC PG's. That's a bad look.

Nah I don't know - Lillard's hit a rough patch for the past month+ and the Blazers as a team are reeling. I think they've lost 6 or 7 of their last 8. In Portland they'd have a chance but it's a lot less likely in ATL.

I think it's a few more games until they play GS at home or Memphis on the road that they lose.

IKnowHoops
01-29-2015, 03:27 PM

I just think the West>>>>>>>>East thing is just a little played out and exaggerated. The top 4 teams in the East can beat the top four teams in the West and vice versa, just as easily as the top 4 teams in the West can beat each other, and maybe even easier. Styles do make fights. Both teams weren't at full power. And a Blazers team just lost to a Cavs team missing the best player in the League. I love stats, but sometimes, styles dictate the stats and then the stats don't accurately portray what you think your looking at.

tredigs
01-29-2015, 03:36 PM
^"No, I don't" would have sufficed.

IKnowHoops
01-29-2015, 03:41 PM

hahaha, yeah like you yesterday when Fraziers knicks said go look at the other winners. You didn't want to/have the time. Hypocrite

IKnowHoops
01-29-2015, 03:44 PM
Got a response for the other 41 then?

I don't have your attrition or care to look these up. 1 for 1 being blatantly off base was enough for me to see what was going on with your choices. You dug your own grave there.

Take your own advice brah

tredigs
01-29-2015, 03:44 PM
hahaha, yeah like you yesterday when Fraziers knicks said go look at the other winners. You didn't want to/have the time. Hypocrite

When a Lebron fan looked up who he thought won MVP of the week for the past 14 years if it was a league wide rather than conference award - and had Lebron retaining 90% of his wins? Yet, upon looking at the very first one, he was wrong? Correct. I did not have the want to spend 10 hours fact checking him. But feel free, I'm sure you could offer a much less biased take.

Also, I don't see what's hypocritical about saying a "No, I don't" would suffice, considering these stats are already readily available and league regulated.

IKnowHoops
01-29-2015, 03:49 PM
When a Lebron fan looked up who he thought won MVP of the week for the past 14 years if it was a league wide rather than conference award - and had Lebron retaining 90% of his wins? Yet, upon looking at the very first one, he was wrong? Correct. I did not have the want to spend 10 hours fact checking him. But feel free, I'm sure you could offer a much less biased take.

Also, I don't see what's hypocritical about saying a "No, I don't" would suffice, considering these stats are already readily available and league regulated.

That being said

tredigs
01-29-2015, 03:51 PM
Good talk Iknowhoops, another resounding argument by you. Moving on -

IKnowHoops
01-29-2015, 03:59 PM
Good talk Iknowhoops, another resounding argument by you. Moving on -

That being said

I don't have your attrition or care to look these up. 1 for 1 being blatantly off base was enough for me to see what was going on with your choices. You dug your own grave there.

lol, please
01-29-2015, 06:26 PM
I just think the West>>>>>>>>East thing is just a little played out and exaggerated. The top 4 teams in the East can beat the top four teams in the West and vice versa, just as easily as the top 4 teams in the West can beat each other, and maybe even easier. Styles do make fights. Both teams weren't at full power. And a Blazers team just lost to a Cavs team missing the best player in the League. I love stats, but sometimes, styles dictate the stats and then the stats don't accurately portray what you think your looking at.

How exactly is it exaggerated? the top 4 teams in the east are not interchangeable with the top 4 in the west.

tredigs
01-29-2015, 08:15 PM
^ He just doesn't get that the data is already available as far as D is concerned, and despite favoring the East teams (because as others mentioned, there's statistically better offense in the West), the West still rates better defensively.

Then he's comparing it to another argument with zero applicable context because... I don't know. He is confused I guess.

BKLYNpigeon
01-29-2015, 08:57 PM
we will know who's better Feb 6th when they play each other.

tredigs
01-29-2015, 09:11 PM
Well, it's one night, and a home game for ATL, not exactly what I'd call a sample size worthy of knowing who's better. But it should be a fun test.

lol, please
02-01-2015, 03:49 AM
Well, it's one night, and a home game for ATL, not exactly what I'd call a sample size worthy of knowing who's better. But it should be a fun test.
Well said, and what I love about this post is you contradict yourself by saying this, since 4 games isn't much better a sample size, so saying the warriors would destroy the rockets based off of a regular season series is equally as ludicrous, I would like to remind you.

PurpleLynch
02-01-2015, 07:27 AM
I said Atlanta in this thread just like 2 months ago and I confirm my opinion. They are just doing extremely well with a "weaker" team on paper. But GS is also in the thougher conference.

M.I.A.
02-01-2015, 11:43 AM
I said Atlanta in this thread just like 2 months ago and I confirm my opinion. They are just doing extremely well with a "weaker" team on paper. But GS is also in the thougher conference.

Atlanta has won the last 13 straight vs the West, just beat the Blazers again. The conference argument is a weak one.

nycericanguy
02-01-2015, 02:53 PM
Atlanta has won the last 13 straight vs the West, just beat the Blazers again. The conference argument is a weak one.

yea they are just crushing everyone right now... 33-2 in their last 35... unreal... i cant remember seeing anything like this since Jordan's bulls but that team was SUPPOSED to be great...

M.I.A.
02-02-2015, 01:37 AM
yea they are just crushing everyone right now... 33-2 in their last 35... unreal... i cant remember seeing anything like this since Jordan's bulls but that team was SUPPOSED to be great...

Can't wait for Friday night. Got to get my skittles and beer, lol.

FlashBolt
02-02-2015, 01:47 AM
Well said, and what I love about this post is you contradict yourself by saying this, since 4 games isn't much better a sample size, so saying the warriors would destroy the rockets based off of a regular season series is equally as ludicrous, I would like to remind you.

You guys lost all 4 games by an average of 15 points a game.. Small sample size my ***.

M.I.A.
02-07-2015, 01:23 PM
We just beat GS but there will be no gloating. GS is awesome. We've got to stay focused and keep playing team ball. We will see GS again and they will be tough again. Great team.

DemarDerozan
02-07-2015, 01:47 PM
Going with the Hawks on this one. The Warriors are great but it seems like they might have gotten a little complacent over the past couple weeks. Their chemistry looks like it has lost a step. I think the Hawks come out of the East. I just don't see another team in the east that is able to compete with the combined talent, depth and coaching that ATL has. Out West it's anybody's game. GSW will likely have homecourt but Dallas and the Spurs cannot be counted out, playoff basketball is totally different and the Dubbs may not have the grit or toughness it takes to beat out these teams.

TrueFan420
02-07-2015, 02:16 PM
Going with the Hawks on this one. The Warriors are great but it seems like they might have gotten a little complacent over the past couple weeks. Their chemistry looks like it has lost a step. I think the Hawks come out of the East. I just don't see another team in the east that is able to compete with the combined talent, depth and coaching that ATL has. Out West it's anybody's game. GSW will likely have homecourt but Dallas and the Spurs cannot be counted out, playoff basketball is totally different and the Dubbs may not have the grit or toughness it takes to beat out these teams.

We've beaten dallas the last 5 times and yes the Spurs scare the **** out of me. In a 7 game series between Hawks and Warriors I could see it going either way.

BKLYNpigeon
02-07-2015, 02:43 PM
This is a fun season Theres no true #1 team in the NBA. I could see 6 teams make it to the finals. fun stuff.

Bring The Heat
02-07-2015, 03:10 PM
I really enjoy watching the Atlanta Hawks play basketball.. They are for real and I don't care what the haters say. Very unselfish team and share the basketball very well... Hard to defend them because you don't know who is going to take the shot... You give an inch to Kyle Korver and he is money from beyond the arc... There starting five has tremendous chemistry and they all fit together perfectly. Props to them. They have a great coach as well... and I have them as the favorite coming out of the East and most definitely can compete for a championship if they stay healthy.

nastynice
02-07-2015, 03:15 PM
hawks

are pretty good

jerellh528
02-07-2015, 03:16 PM
I change my vote to the Hawks, especially considering they just beat gs last night

valade16
02-07-2015, 04:11 PM
I too change my vote, mainly because Atlanta nearly has the same record as GS at this point.

Goose17
02-07-2015, 04:53 PM
I change my vote to Atlanta.

tredigs
02-07-2015, 04:54 PM
To those changing your choice, are you basing that on who you think has been better, or which story you like better?

Goose17
02-07-2015, 05:00 PM
To those changing your choice, are you basing that on who you think has been better, or which story you like better?

The question is who has been more impressive. I think Atlanta have less talent than the Warriors. But they play better team basketball than the Warriors (which is really saying something).

I think that when you can be the top team in the league (record wise) when the guy leading your team in scoring is doing so with 17 points per game is pretty ****ing impressive. Throw in the fact that most people didn't think they would even be a top 4 seed, some didn't even think they would be a playoff team.

And it doesn't hurt that they're proving what I've said all along. Chemistry and Team Work > Individual talent.

tredigs
02-07-2015, 05:10 PM
The question is who has been more impressive. I think Atlanta have less talent than the Warriors. But they play better team basketball than the Warriors (which is really saying something).

I think that when you can be the top team in the league (record wise) when the guy leading your team in scoring is doing so with 17 points per game is pretty ****ing impressive. Throw in the fact that most people didn't think they would even be a top 4 seed, some didn't even think they would be a playoff team.

And it doesn't hurt that they're proving what I've said all along. Chemistry and Team Work > Individual talent.

I'm asking to flesh out the ambiguity of "impressive", because that could mean different things to different people. For you, it seems that it's the story, ie how great their team orientated offense has been despite low expectations and what you perceive as a lesser talented roster than some others.

Goose17
02-07-2015, 05:24 PM
I'm asking to flesh out the ambiguity of "impressive", because that could mean different things to different people.

I'm thinking of the dictionary definition of the word.

"Making a strong positive impression; inspiring admiration or awe"

Goose17
02-07-2015, 05:26 PM
I don't see how anyone could consider the Warriors more "impressive". The better team? Sure. More impressive? Nah. The whole "they're in the tougher conference" means nothing when Atlanta are tearing the West apart limb from limb.

Statistically impressive maybe?

tredigs
02-07-2015, 05:59 PM
I don't see how anyone could consider the Warriors more "impressive". The better team? Sure. More impressive? Nah. The whole "they're in the tougher conference" means nothing when Atlanta are tearing the West apart limb from limb.

Statistically impressive maybe?

I'll help make the case for you: With essentially the same roster as last season, they took their offense from #12 to top 3 (very close to #1), and their D from 4th to #1. Their SRS ranks the 4th highest in NBA history right now, and the difference between them and the Hawks at #1/#2 is the same as the difference between the Hawks and #11. Team ball? #1 in assists as well (higher pace but they'd still be at the top), and their defensive teamwork with all of the switches is what really sets them apart on that end.

Remember, they were projected to be a 50 win team whose goal was HCA.

That said, incredibly tough month for GS that could set them back a bit if they keep starting games slow. Only 2 home games this month (one was their win against Dallas and the other is coming up against the Spurs). I like the Hawks a lot and am fully on board with anyone who thinks they're more "impressive", I just want to know what you/they mean.

Goose17
02-07-2015, 06:13 PM
I'm fully aware of the achievements my team have made this season. When I said "statistically impressive maybe?" you should have just said "yes". Because that's what you're looking at. They're mathematically impressive. This is true. Their stats are unreal.

they took their offense from #12 to top 3 (very close to #1), and their D from 4th to #1.

And the Hawks took their offense from #18 to #6 and their defense from #14 to #8

What we've done is amazing and the stats are unreal. Unfortunately what the Hawks have done is more impressive imo. That's a typical Warriors thing though, the year we decide to play out of our minds is the same year the Hawks decide to go from being a below .500 team to a (probably) 60 win team in one year.

The fact they've done all of this, as I said, with less talent, no go-to scorer and completely out of the blue is more impressive. But hey, that's just me, don't expect everyone to agree with me or anything.

Both are incredibly impressive teams and are making history right now. Warriors are better imo. But Hawks have been more impressive.

Goose17
02-07-2015, 06:15 PM
I like the Hawks a lot and am fully on board with anyone who thinks they're more "impressive", I just want to know what you/they mean.

I mean they better fit the definition of impressive than the Dubs do. Both fit it but the Hawks edge it out.

jerellh528
02-07-2015, 10:09 PM

For me its because I wasn't completely sold on the Hawks, but they've had some signature victories and have made a believer outta me with their consistent team ball and stellar play, it's obvious they aren't a fluke like I thought. Also they had almost zero expectations being this good entering the season, gs I think had high expectations. For me It comes down to, I'd pick gs in a 7 game series because I think they have more talent and a superstar in curry, but what I think the Hawks are doing right now considering it came seemingly outta nowhere is more impressive.

M.I.A.
02-07-2015, 10:24 PM
I really enjoy watching the Atlanta Hawks play basketball.. They are for real and I don't care what the haters say. Very unselfish team and share the basketball very well... Hard to defend them because you don't know who is going to take the shot... You give an inch to Kyle Korver and he is money from beyond the arc... There starting five has tremendous chemistry and they all fit together perfectly. Props to them. They have a great coach as well... and I have them as the favorite coming out of the East and most definitely can compete for a championship if they stay healthy.

Thank you for that post. It really means a lot to me to hear that from a Heat fan because you guys know what it takes.

moshy2
02-08-2015, 03:35 AM
It's definitely the Hawks now, coming from a Warriors fan. They are on an incredible roll at the moment. I don't know what Budenholzer (sp?) did but damn it's working. It's essentially the same team from last year right? I understand Horford was out but, and don't get me wrong I love me some Al Horford, I don't think it's reasonable to say he's responsible for this jump. The Hawks just really bought into Budenholzer's system. It makes a huge difference when you believe in and trust the guy next to you.

Goose17
02-08-2015, 08:10 AM
It's definitely the Hawks now, coming from a Warriors fan. They are on an incredible roll at the moment. I don't know what Budenholzer (sp?) did but damn it's working. It's essentially the same team from last year right? I understand Horford was out but, and don't get me wrong I love me some Al Horford, I don't think it's reasonable to say he's responsible for this jump. The Hawks just really bought into Budenholzer's system. It makes a huge difference when you believe in and trust the guy next to you.

They signed Bazemore. #DifferenceMaker

M.I.A.
02-08-2015, 01:41 PM
They signed Bazemore. #DifferenceMaker

I didn't know how good he is until we got him. He fits into Coach Bud's system perfectly. Plays good team ball and is a very good addition. Talkshows around here now want a better backup C than Antic. He's okay but he's just not tough enough. I have no idea who we might get instead of him.

M.I.A.
02-08-2015, 01:45 PM

Without Horford we are an 8 seed like we were when he was out last year. When he isn't on the floor we struggle sometimes. We need a better backup C than Antic. That is a weakness we have, definitely.

Verbal Christ
02-08-2015, 01:48 PM
Easily the Hawks. They cant boast about having 2 of the best players in the league. They have hard nosed guys who have bought in. Reminding me of the Pistons championships.

moshy2
02-09-2015, 02:15 AM
Without Horford we are an 8 seed like we were when he was out last year. When he isn't on the floor we struggle sometimes. We need a better backup C than Antic. That is a weakness we have, definitely.

Considering the 8 seed right now is Miami at 21-29, that means Horford is worth 21 more wins and 19 less losses. Like I said before, I love Horford and have always been a fan of his, he's a baller but I don't know many players that can be worth that much of a difference. And that's just at the all star break. There's something more to it. I'm really curious as to what it is.

M.I.A.
02-09-2015, 11:26 AM
Considering the 8 seed right now is Miami at 21-29, that means Horford is worth 21 more wins and 19 less losses. Like I said before, I love Horford and have always been a fan of his, he's a baller but I don't know many players that can be worth that much of a difference. And that's just at the all star break. There's something more to it. I'm really curious as to what it is.

Teague continues to get better but the only real difference between last year and this year is Horford. Antic is just not nearly as good as he is.

mike44
02-09-2015, 01:37 PM
Teague has taken a big step this year. Schroeder has become one of the best backup pg's in the league. They added bazemore and thabo, both good 3&d guys. Mike Scott has improved. Korver was great last year, but not this great. Another year in buds system has done wonders and they have gone from a middle of the pack defensive team to one of the best. A lot of improvements across the board and I don't know if that is mostly buds doing or the individuals, probably a combination of both.

KnicksorBust
02-09-2015, 01:41 PM
Easily the Hawks. They cant boast about having 2 of the best players in the league. They have hard nosed guys who have bought in. Reminding me of the Pistons championships.

That makes them more surprising not impressive.

Goose17
02-09-2015, 01:53 PM
That makes them more surprising not impressive.

It also makes it more impressive.

valade16
02-09-2015, 02:23 PM
Considering everyone always says "It's a stars league" or you need a superstar to win, the fact the Hawks are doing so well without one is surprising. People will point to the Spurs, but Tim Duncan is definitely a superstar.