PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Jennings posts NBA's first 20-point, 20-assist game since 2009

JWO35
01-21-2015, 11:48 PM
NBA January 21, 2015 10:01pm EST
Brandon Jennings posts NBA's first 20-point, 20-assist game since 2009
By: Justin Ferguson

Less than one week after dropping a season-high 37 points on the Pacers, Brandon Jennings' recent renaissance continued Wednesday night with a feat that hadn't been seen in the NBA in more than five years.

Jennings recorded 24 points and 21 assists in the Pistons' 128-118 victory against the Magic, becoming the first NBA player to have at least 20 points and 20 assists in a game since Steve Nash did it with the Suns on Nov. 9, 2009.
Very impressive IMO. Jennings has become a whole new player since Smith's release.

SportsFanatic10
01-21-2015, 11:58 PM
holy ****! jennings is really surprising a lot of people i would think.

JV35
01-22-2015, 12:03 AM
He's a great player. Finally hitting his stride.

kobe4thewinbang
01-22-2015, 12:19 AM
If he could just keep playing that way. I dunno WTF he's been smoking since his 58 point game in his rookie year. I love playing with him on the video game, but jeez, get to the Lakers already. He can pass like Rondo *and* he can shoot.

D-Leethal
01-22-2015, 12:39 AM
Didn't Rondo have a 20-20-20 game a couple years ago? Could have sworn it was against my Knicks.

WOwolfOL
01-22-2015, 12:40 AM
Can't believe it had been that long. Dude accounted for at least 66 points. Filthy.

D-Leethal
01-22-2015, 12:43 AM
It shouldn't really be that much of a surprise that clearing out the worst spacing front court in the league a bit would open things up for BJ. He's got a couple monsters to set screens for him and they can actually play shooters around him now. The guys around you paint your picture more than you do in the NBA.

Tony_Starks
01-22-2015, 12:45 AM
MY ninja!

FlashBolt
01-22-2015, 01:18 AM
Brandon Jennings is a joke. He's Nick Young but can pass.

Tony_Starks
01-22-2015, 01:20 AM
Brandon Jennings is a joke. He's Nick Young but can pass.

He's a big joke! People get 20 points 20 assist everyday, what's the big deal?......

FlashBolt
01-22-2015, 01:32 AM
He's a big joke! People get 20 points 20 assist everyday, what's the big deal?......

So because he gets a 20/20 game, that makes him a great player? He's not a good player. This is his sixth year in the league and he still doesn't understand how to lead a team playing the PG role. But hey, what do you know? Mr. Kobewonaringin2002-2003. Why don't you run along and avoid answering questions that completely debunk your argument. It seems to be a specialty of yours.

cmellofan15
01-22-2015, 01:38 AM
since Josh Smith got cut Jennings has been <+10 in over half of their games (something he hadn't done since mid-march of last season). I'm really impressed with how he's been playing lately. he's still had some pretty off shooting nights, but I think in this stretch he has proved quite a bit.

ricky recon
01-22-2015, 01:39 AM
So because he gets a 20/20 game, that makes him a great player? He's not a good player. This is his sixth year in the league and he still doesn't understand how to lead a team playing the PG role. But hey, what do you know? Mr. Kobewonaringin2002-2003. Why don't you run along and avoid answering questions that completely debunk your argument. It seems to be a specialty of yours.

"He's not a good player".

I don't know how anyone could watch the turnaround the Pistons and in particular Brandon Jennings is having after the departure of Smith and call a player of his caliber anything less than special nonetheless "not good".

It's just inaccurate.

Deception
01-22-2015, 01:50 AM

No he's a great player because his stats after the release of Josh Smith, people can doubt him and this team all they want, you can say a small sample size but 15 games is a good enough size for me to say he's definitely stepped up this season. Since Smith's release he's averaging 20 PPG, 7.2 Assists, 43% shooting. Finally, before this measly 20/20 game, his PER is 28.3 since the release of Smith, so yeah, he's a joke.

Howard_Zinn
01-22-2015, 02:17 AM
"He's not a good player".

I don't know how anyone could watch the turnaround the Pistons and in particular Brandon Jennings is having after the departure of Smith and call a player of his caliber anything less than special nonetheless "not good".

It's just inaccurate.

Word.. He's been the leader of this Pistons team..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cYHvf5gyY8&x-yt-ts=1421782837&x-yt-cl=84359240#t=51

Howard_Zinn
01-22-2015, 02:20 AM
Jennings has improved by leaps and bounds because Van Gundy has turned him into a PG that attacks.. He used to just shoot jumpers.. He's constantly attacking now and has terrific court vision.

WOwolfOL
01-22-2015, 02:24 AM
Would love to pair SVG with D Rose

Howard_Zinn
01-22-2015, 02:28 AM
That video is filthy.. Just shows you what kind of team this Detroit is now.. They are going to cause a major headache for whoever they play first round.

Chrisclover
01-22-2015, 02:34 AM
Very impressive IMO. Jennings has become a whole new player since Smith's release.
Last time I played a mock-trade game, Jennings is low in price and easy to trade for. Now it is a whole new story. lol. More cerebral.

Chrisclover
01-22-2015, 02:36 AM
Didn't Rondo have a 20-20-20 game a couple years ago? Could have sworn it was against my Knicks.
It's impossible for a pg to get 20 rebounds. I guess it was like 15 rebounds, according to what I heard in 2k13.[emoji12]

jaydubb
01-22-2015, 03:18 AM
Kobe almost did this like a week ago

GoferKing_
01-22-2015, 05:08 AM

A couple games ago Jason Thompson had a 20 pts 20 rebs game = best big evahhh!!!!

IndyRealist
01-22-2015, 07:00 AM
So Brandon Jennings is finally a decent player, and they are very happy with Brandon Knight in Milwaukee. Did that trade turn out to be a win-win?

D-Leethal
01-22-2015, 10:47 AM
It's impossible for a pg to get 20 rebounds. I guess it was like 15 rebounds, according to what I heard in 2k13.[emoji12]

It was 18 pts, 17 rebs and 20 assists. Pretty sure Rondo has gotten 20 boards before.

D-Leethal
01-22-2015, 10:50 AM
A couple games ago Jason Thompson had a 20 pts 20 rebs game = best big evahhh!!!!

20 boards happens all the time, 20 assists does not. Steven Adams just had 20 boards last night. I think there has been like five 20 rebound games this week.

D-Leethal
01-22-2015, 10:52 AM
Jennings has always been talented as hell and a great player. You expect him to thrive next to Monta or playing with the Smoove-Monroe-Drummond front court? Of course not man. You stat heads are crazy, its like you refuse to recognize talent until their advanced stat line tells you they are good. On top of that, fit amongst teammates, role, system, coaching seem to have zero effect on your contextual analysis. Stats in a vaccuum FTW.

I am just glad to see guys like Gay, Monta, Jennings avenge the hate. You need to be in the right environment for it to click, when you're not in that environment it doesn't mean you suck. When you're forced to take more bad shots its not always because your a moron with horrible shot selection. Its like some of you guys never even played basic pickup ball where you click and thrive with one squad, run with another a few games later and can't find your groove at all. Thats how basketball works - 5 guys on a string - please learn to analyze it that way.

JWO35
01-22-2015, 01:23 PM
So Brandon Jennings is finally a decent player, and they are very happy with Brandon Knight in Milwaukee. Did that trade turn out to be a win-win?

Both needed a change in scenery IMO...Jennings wore out his welcome in Milwaukee while Knight was struggling between being a PG and SG in Detroit. Knight is obviously having the best year of his career so far and Jennings has being on fire these past 15 games or so and is leading the Pistons out of the Eastern Conference basement.

JustinTime
01-22-2015, 01:25 PM

Might not be great but he is good.

tredigs
01-22-2015, 01:44 PM
It was 18 pts, 17 rebs and 20 assists. Pretty sure Rondo has gotten 20 boards before.

Nah that was the most boards Rondo's had. In the modern era only Fat Lever has gotten 20 boards; pretty much any guard rebounding record is his because he played on the late 80's Nugs (fastest paced team in the modern era) and he was a savage rebounder. Kidd had a 19 board 3x2 once though. Westbrook's 17/15/17 from last week is up there too. .

Sportfan
01-22-2015, 01:53 PM

18 points, 17 rebounds, 20 assists.

FlashBolt
01-22-2015, 04:04 PM
Brandon Jennings is great on spurts of the game. You're looking way too much into his averages. During their past 15 games, he's had 8 really bad games. Of course, those other 7 games make it less horrific when you average it all together but stop it. This guy is way too damn inconsistent and if they do reach the playoffs, he's going to do something really stupid to drag his team along with him. He's playing better, yes, but talk to me when he can sustain it. 7 games out of 15 isn't good. On eight of those horrible games the past 15 games, he's averaged 13 PPG on 31 FG% coupled with 6 APG and 2 RPG. Care to tell me the PER on those games? However, on seven of his top games in the last 15 games, he's posted great numbers. All that tells me is that he's played great half the time and horrific the other half the time. That's much too inconsistent for someone in his sixth year. Also, Greg Monroe has stepped his game up, KCP has been amazing for them, Meeks returning into the rotation after injury. I don't know what's wrong with Josh Smith but this guy has taken a page off Deron Williams. Both these players were top 5 at their position at one point. Josh was an amazing two way player. Now he's just a headache and embarrassment to watch. Rockets made a huge mistake and it's all because of Dwight being his friend and all.

The Darkhorse
01-22-2015, 04:11 PM
Jennings has always been talented as hell and a great player. You need to be in the right environment for it to click, when you're not in that environment it doesn't mean you suck.

Jennings is flashy and seems to have the skill-set to be a very good player. Great players are All-Stars. He isn't there yet. SVG has managed to change the environment and put him in a system that showcases his talents. Not convinced he is a great shooter, but the 20 assists prove he can be a great playmaker. He is fun to watch.

Chrisclover
01-22-2015, 10:05 PM
My man Kobe got 17 assists, not 20. It's laudable when a notorious ballhog delivered such gaudy numbers. Dunno if he can keep this and send a signal to the league that he is evolving into a team player. I am really concerned about this year's free agent market. The Lakers battleship needs to be rebuilt, with Captain Kobe relinquish his control.

Deception
01-22-2015, 11:21 PM
Here's an interesting Reddit thread with PER36 stats of the top 10 PG's in the league next to Jennings, take a look...
http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/2tbvxv/brandon_jennings_has_been_absolutely_dominant/

ohreally
01-22-2015, 11:49 PM
Always thought Jennings had the tools, but was starting to doubt he'd really put it together. I do still expect that he'll have some terrible shooting nights, but if he keeps distributing well that wouldn't be a big deal unless he was back to taking a ton of bad shots and missing a large majority of them in 8 out of every 10 games.

Phenomenonsense
01-23-2015, 12:38 AM

Kobe for the All-Almost 1st team.

jaydubb
01-23-2015, 07:34 AM
My man Kobe got 17 assists, not 20. It's laudable when a notorious ballhog delivered such gaudy numbers. Dunno if he can keep this and send a signal to the league that he is evolving into a team player. I am really concerned about this year's free agent market. The Lakers battleship needs to be rebuilt, with Captain Kobe relinquish his control.
1 point and 3 assists away from 20 and 20 is pretty close. And kobe only played 31 mins that game.. I'm jus saying, it's a great accomplishment but even though it doesn't happen very often I don't think it's a huge deal to be honest.. Especially if an old crippled man like kobe can come close.

jaydubb
01-23-2015, 07:35 AM
Kobe for the All-Almost 1st team.

Phenomenonsense for the All-almost thread related 1st team.

Phenomenonsense
01-23-2015, 06:04 PM
Phenomenonsense for the All-almost thread related 1st team.

I was once only like, 240 pins off of a perfect bowling game.

jaydubb
01-23-2015, 07:37 PM
I was once only like, 240 pins off of a perfect bowling game.

Not even close to the same thing.. But ok.. :up:

basch152
01-24-2015, 02:51 PM
Brandon Jennings is great on spurts of the game. You're looking way too much into his averages. During their past 15 games, he's had 8 really bad games. Of course, those other 7 games make it less horrific when you average it all together but stop it. This guy is way too damn inconsistent and if they do reach the playoffs, he's going to do something really stupid to drag his team along with him. He's playing better, yes, but talk to me when he can sustain it. 7 games out of 15 isn't good. On eight of those horrible games the past 15 games, he's averaged 13 PPG on 31 FG% coupled with 6 APG and 2 RPG. Care to tell me the PER on those games? However, on seven of his top games in the last 15 games, he's posted great numbers. All that tells me is that he's played great half the time and horrific the other half the time. That's much too inconsistent for someone in his sixth year. Also, Greg Monroe has stepped his game up, KCP has been amazing for them, Meeks returning into the rotation after injury. I don't know what's wrong with Josh Smith but this guy has taken a page off Deron Williams. Both these players were top 5 at their position at one point. Josh was an amazing two way player. Now he's just a headache and embarrassment to watch. Rockets made a huge mistake and it's all because of Dwight being his friend and all.

I count three games that would be considered terrible, but whatever.

Also, where's the guy that said Jennings wasn't even a starter level PG in the NBA.

He's definitely not an allstar, at least not yet, but he has what it takes.

JV35
01-25-2015, 03:16 AM
And, in his first game, after this history--he gets injured.

That's some messed-up karma.