PDA

View Full Version : Shawn Marion announces he will retire after this season

kdspurman
01-21-2015, 03:56 PM
Marion said he plans to retire after this season with Cleveland, ending a 15-year NBA career that was mostly spent as a star with the Suns.

"I wanted to go out on my terms," Marion said. "The biggest thing is having a son. I got attached to him. Seeing him periodically is hard. Watching him grow up on pictures and videos is hard."

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2015/01/21/shawn-marion-retiring-cleveland-cavaliers-phoenix-suns-nba/22115987/?hootPostID=%5B%270df65259e8597f51319ba65b648878cc %27%5D

sixer04fan
01-21-2015, 03:59 PM
Hall of fame? He's gotta be on the bubble

ManningToTyree
01-21-2015, 04:09 PM
Hall of fame? He's gotta be on the bubble not even close IMO.

But everyone seems to get in

TS8821
01-21-2015, 04:18 PM
As long as his jersey is in the rafters at the AAC idc about hall of fame. He was detrimental in our title run and many of us Mavs fans were sad to see him go this offseason

Hawkeye15
01-21-2015, 04:27 PM
I am going to guess he gets in to the HOF eventually. Looking at his resume, it's kind of weak, but he may get in none the less.

At least I don't have to watch the ugliest jumper ever again.

tredigs
01-21-2015, 04:39 PM
Top 55 All Time in:

Win Shares (36th)

Box +/- (54th)

Value Over Replacement Player AKA VORP (26th)

Turnover% (26th lowest)

Steals (17th)

Rebounds (36th)

Career slash over 15 years of 15/9/2 +1.5 stl and 1.1 blk on 48/33/81

ELITE player who did not score enough pointZ to get his just due in the public/media eye.

One of a kind, right down to that ****ing shot :laugh2:

Chronz
01-21-2015, 04:40 PM
One of those overrated/underrated guys over the years. Still, he was the prototypical stretch-4 for awhile there in Phx. Odd how sporadic his jumper was, at one point he was a credible threat with that form.

dhopisthename
01-21-2015, 04:40 PM
4 all star games. 2 all nba teams. I guess if that is all it takes to get into the all these days.

IKnowHoops
01-21-2015, 04:41 PM
I don't see him making the hall of fame. He def would not get my vote. He was a "B" player. Not in the same class as Vince Carter, Ray Allen, Gary Payton, Jason Kidd, or even Tim Hardaway. Those are guys that I believe are bottom Hall of famers.

sixer04fan
01-21-2015, 04:42 PM
As long as his jersey is in the rafters at the AAC idc about hall of fame. He was detrimental in our title run and many of us Mavs fans were sad to see him go this offseason

Detrimental?

IKnowHoops
01-21-2015, 04:43 PM
Top 55 All Time in:

Win Shares (36th)

Box +/- (54th)

Value Over Replacement Player AKA VORP (26th)

Turnover% (26th lowest)

Steals (17th)

Rebounds (36th)

Career slash over 15 years of 15/9/2 +1.5 stl and 1.1 blk on 48/33/81

ELITE player who did not score enough pointZ to get his just due in the public/media eye.

One of a kind, right down to that ****ing shot :laugh2:

Did you ever have him in your top 3 at his position in the league in any year?

sixer04fan
01-21-2015, 04:50 PM
As of last year: "He also is one of just five players in league history to log 1,500 steals and 1,000 blocks for his career, joining the Hall of Fame quartet of Hakeem Olajuwon, Karl Malone, Kevin Garnett, and Julius Erving."

He'll be closer than a lot of people think. I think he could get in eventually but it's definitely not a certainty.

kdspurman
01-21-2015, 04:51 PM
Detrimental?

Think he meant instrumental :)

tredigs
01-21-2015, 05:04 PM
Did you ever have him in your top 3 at his position in the league in any year?

I can't recall ever ranking them, but Marion was always one of the scariest players on the court on both ends (more so defensively) in any game he played in. Couldn't leave him open from 3, would have to watch out for him crashing the glass, can't hack him as he was fairly automatic from the line, and defensively he would generally dominate whoever he was facing (which was normally whoever was the hottest wing/forward on the court). He was a beast, for sure.

But, depending on what position you're talking about - as a SF while in Phoenix sure, he was probably top 3 multiple years.

tredigs
01-21-2015, 05:08 PM
Similar career to prime Kirilenko, but Marion was more consistent for a longer time.

Shady66
01-21-2015, 05:09 PM
The matrix. So exciting in his prime. Kind of amazing that a 6'7 guy played most of his career as a 4. One of the better defenders in the league for a long time. Had a great career in phoenix and even won a chip in Dallas. Only knock is his jumper

SportsFanatic10
01-21-2015, 05:28 PM
one of my favorite players, a very underrated career.

Hawkeye15
01-21-2015, 05:43 PM
Similar career to prime Kirilenko, but Marion was more consistent for a longer time.

and he wasn't a player who was constantly injured like AK

flea
01-21-2015, 06:14 PM
Defensively he was certainly one of the best wing defenders in NBA history, and in prime could guard 5 positions at a high level. Not even Pippen can say that - and this isn't one of those "herp derp Lebron can stand at 5 different positions." This is actually having the skill to be an effective defender there. There have been similar players to him defensively in NBA history but I don't think any that had the athleticism he does to really check 1s for extended periods like he could, nor the skill and physicality to check 4s and 5s. For a non-big defender in the zone defense era I take him over Battier, and I don't really consider anyone else to be terribly close (sorry Artest, AK47, Bowen, etc.).

Classic good version of a tweener offensively. Could shoot enough for either forward spot in prime, especially the 4, and was really nifty around the basket as a cutter and in the post. Scored a ton of points for a guy never known for anything in particular other than having a high IQ. And for as much crap as he takes for his jumpshot form, he's actually a better 3 point shooter than guards like Russell Westbrook and Dwyane Wade. Shows what a high IQ can do for your scoring.

Also, he rebounded his position as a 3 or 4. Most tweeners that make it to the NBA seem to struggle with rebounding the most since you can usually find a defensive home at either forward spot for a solid scorer. But if you have to stick them at the 3 because of poor rebounding you kill yourself offensively. Marion's ability allowed him to thrive in the transition spread-look Suns as well as the balanced look of the Mavs.

I'll be sad when he's gone. He's HOF for sure to me.

PurpleLynch
01-21-2015, 06:41 PM
He's a great and underrated player. I would have loved him in a Laker uniform when he was in his prime.
Definitely overlooked and underrated. Hof? I don't know,he also has a marvellous longevity...I'd say yes,but not first ballot.

RLundi
01-21-2015, 07:12 PM
Good for him, he had a nice career. I hope somehow LeBron is able to give him a ring so he can retire on top.

RLundi
01-21-2015, 07:14 PM
He's a great and underrated player. I would have loved him in a Laker uniform when he was in his prime.
Definitely overlooked and underrated. Hof? I don't know,he also has a marvellous longevity...I'd say yes,but not first ballot.

I'm not sure about HOF but what this guy did at the SF spot was revolutionary. He was a 20-10-2-2 guy that shot three pointers and often guarded the best wing on the other side. He was the Suns' super utility guy.

Like I said, I don't know if that HOF-worthy but it wouldn't exactly anger me if he got in.

YAALREADYKNO
01-21-2015, 07:25 PM
he isn't a hall of famer but I keep saying this and im gonna keep saying it, It's a shame shawn marion never made an all defensive NBA team!!! I don't know how he didn't even make at least one 2nd team in all those yrs he was in his prime.

Goose17
01-21-2015, 07:47 PM
Liked him Phoenix. Nobody cares about him now. Bye.

KnickNyKnick
01-21-2015, 07:47 PM
GOOD. im tired of seeing that akward shot

Tony_Starks
01-21-2015, 07:52 PM
Always loved the Matrix. I wish he had went to the Spurs or Warriors his last year so he'd have a better shot at one more ring before retires....

TS8821
01-22-2015, 12:50 AM
Detrimental?

Think he meant instrumental :)

Yeah just came back and read that post I was coming off all night drinking my brain wasn't turned on just yet

Jeffy25
01-22-2015, 12:58 AM
Hall of fame? He's gotta be on the bubble

He had a decent career, but no way would I elect him lol

LA_Raiders
01-22-2015, 01:14 AM
It seems about the right time. I only remember him as a sun, great years there.

FlashBolt
01-22-2015, 01:15 AM
I don't think he's HOF worthy but he's one of the most down-to-earth players I've ever met.

flea
01-22-2015, 12:19 PM
Just wondering, but do the people who don't think that Matrix is HOF believe Pippen is? If so, why? Their cumulative lines are strikingly similar, both have championships and spent years on dangerous teams, have won titles, etc. Is it rings, because how many would Marion have next to the GOAT? Is it this #1/#2/#3 option BS? If so, see my next question.

What about Rodman? If so, why? Cumulative line favors Marion heavily, both made a living defensively as versatile forwards, but one killed the offensive glass while the other was a little more nifty as a scorer.

GunFactor187
01-22-2015, 12:23 PM
One of the more underrated/under-appreciated players in this era for sure.

YAALREADYKNO
01-22-2015, 03:34 PM
Just wondering, but do the people who don't think that Matrix is HOF believe Pippen is? If so, why? Their cumulative lines are strikingly similar, both have championships and spent years on dangerous teams, have won titles, etc. Is it rings, because how many would Marion have next to the GOAT? Is it this #1/#2/#3 option BS? If so, see my next question.

What about Rodman? If so, why? Cumulative line favors Marion heavily, both made a living defensively as versatile forwards, but one killed the offensive glass while the other was a little more nifty as a scorer.

marion never made an all defensive nba team even though I think it was ridiculous how he didn't make at least one all those yrs he was with the suns

Trwood12
01-22-2015, 03:41 PM
I'll miss watching that shooting stroke of his.

FlashBolt
01-22-2015, 04:15 PM

Being alongside Jordan definitely boosts your argument. Winning those rings do help. Scottie's defense wouldn't be as mainstream if Chicago never won a thing. Also, Scottie was just a better offensive player when needed and it's inarguable that he was also the better defender. Can't believe Marion has never achieved All NBA defense.

ManningToTyree
01-22-2015, 04:42 PM

What about Rodman? If so, why? Cumulative line favors Marion heavily, both made a living defensively as versatile forwards, but one killed the offensive glass while the other was a little more nifty as a scorer. I watched them lol. I know that's not the answer you are looking for but pippen was the superior player by leaps and bounds via the eye test. Maybe you are right about the stats idk.

sixer04fan
01-22-2015, 05:22 PM
I'm not saying Marion should or will make the HOF. But I think he has a much closer case than a lot of people realize. The career longevity, the peak, and the cumulative stats (basic and advanced) get him very close IMO. His accolades aren't bad for HOF standards either. If he had 1-2 more titles it might be a closed case. He has a gold medal too. Hell, he's still a good defender to this day.

I think he's right on the bubble for eventually getting in. Obviously not a first ballot candidate or anything like that.