PDA

View Full Version : Waiters on why hes fitting in good in OKC:'I actually,like, you know, touch the ball

spreadeagle
01-21-2015, 03:36 PM
The No. 4 pick in the 2012 NBA draft is averaging 17 points, 2.3 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 1.8 steals in 28.9 minutes per game over those last four contests, shooting 50.9 percent from the field and 46.2 percent from 3-point land and even showing bursts of defensive urgency to help the Thunder win three of four, capped by a devastation of the Orlando Magic that has Scott Brooks' club back at .500 at 20-20, 3 1/2 games back of the Phoenix Suns for the No. 8 seed in the Western Conference.

With a chance to make it four out of five when the Thunder take on the scuffling Miami Heat on Tuesday night, Darnell Mayberry of the Oklahoman checked in with Waiters to see what's been behind his uptick in form and why he's looked like a better fit in Oklahoma than he did in Ohio. Waiters' response was, well, perfect:

After a 16-point performance Sunday at Orlando in which he made seven of nine shots, Waiters was asked what he’s learned so far about where his shots will come from and how he fit into the offense.

He chuckled.

“Listen,” he said, “they give me the ball. Like, I touch the ball. Like, I actually, like, you know, touch the ball.” [...]

“I’m able to feel the game out, knowing when to take the shot, when not to,” Waiters said. “Like I said, we got a great group of guys on this team who’s very unselfish and they want you to be successful. So I think I came into a great situation.”
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/dion-waiters-on-why-he-s-fitting-in-well-in-okc---i-actually--like--you-know--touch-the-ball-200356522.html

- - - - - - -

BKdoubleStacker
01-21-2015, 03:39 PM
He's just not a good player

WITZ
01-21-2015, 04:00 PM
Over 10 shots a game with cavs and he says he didn't touch the ball :laugh: . Was a fan of his but good riddance Smith filling his role better than he did.

ManningToTyree
01-21-2015, 04:07 PM
Lol he was getting too many touches in Cleveland

Tony_Starks
01-21-2015, 04:09 PM
Good pickup for OKC...

albertajaysfan
01-21-2015, 04:25 PM
Over 10 shots a game with cavs and he says he didn't touch the ball :laugh: . Was a fan of his but good riddance Smith filling his role better than he did.

His number of shots isn't a very good way to determine how often a certain player is touching the ball. Plus there is also perception of his involvement in the offence which is extremely important.

If he believes he will get the ball more often he becomes more likely to make team oriented plays.

Minimal
01-21-2015, 04:26 PM
Once again proves he is an idiot

mngopher35
01-21-2015, 04:43 PM
He just started playing with them so each game will affect those numbers. After the Miami game he is now at:

12.5 ppg on 41% shooting with 1.3 apg 1.8 rpg.

I do think that he will like playing on the thunder more since he will get to be more of a handler in an iso system. I don't think he can keep up the production he had when this article was written though.

hugepatsfan
01-21-2015, 05:06 PM
I don't have the numbers for how many touches he gets in OKC vs. in CLE so maybe he's just delusional but I do know that touches and shots aren't the same thing.

FlashBolt
01-21-2015, 05:06 PM
I really did not want Waiters here.. I've watched him play for Cleveland and he dribbles the ball for 15 seconds and takes an ill-advised shot that makes absolutely zero sense. Whenever he's on the court, you could tell that the players hated playing with him. Soon, KD/Westbrook will get frustrated. He's just not a smart player and is too one dimensional. He's the sort of player you don't want to pick on a pickup game -- not because he's not good but because he plays so damn selfish.

WITZ
01-21-2015, 05:16 PM
I don't have the numbers for how many touches he gets in OKC vs. in CLE so maybe he's just delusional but I do know that touches and shots aren't the same thing.

Definitely delusional :laugh2: Heres the numbers via twitter

"Dion Waiters time of possession per 36 minutes on the floor.
w/ CLE: 2:42
w/ OKC: 2:15"

& "Touches per 36 in CLE: 48. In OKC? 39.7. Oh. RT @ESPNNBA: Dion Waiters is really happy to be on the Thunder now... "

Chronz
01-21-2015, 05:32 PM

Its not that different in either regard. Maybe hes getting to create more but his touches count was slightly higher in Cleveland, but alot of that came in blow out situations. Maybe he means hes getting more touches when the game actually counts?

Goose17
01-21-2015, 05:35 PM
He's a better player than a lot of people give him credit for. He's a streaky shooter but he can finish and he's an underrated passer for a 2-guard.

I think Cleveland was just a horrible situation for him. Especially with Irving.

GoferKing_
01-21-2015, 07:03 PM
he's an underrated passer for a 2-guard

First, you need to pass, to be called even an underrated passer.xD

Goose17
01-21-2015, 07:18 PM
First, you need to pass, to be called even an underrated passer.xD

lol okay he's a reluctant passer but he's a good one when he wants to be. He has good vision on that side he just seems to ignore it at times.

RLundi
01-21-2015, 07:18 PM
Those videos of him begging for the ball against the Magic and being frozen out are hilarious. Almost makes you feel bad for the guy.

Almost.

JasonJohnHorn
01-21-2015, 07:52 PM
A guy who gets 10 shots a game when playing alongside LBJ, Love, and Irving thinking he isn't getting the ball enough has TOO much ego to be of any use to anybody who is trying to win a title.

And anybody outside of the position of point guard who NEEDS the ball to have a positive impact on the game doesn't have a complete game. You look at a SG/SF like Sprewell (just a random example), if he only got 8 shots in a game, his defense, rebounding, passing, and movement without the ball was still going to help out the team BIG time. Same with a guy like Findley. With Waiters... he literally just stood in a spot when he was open waiting for the ball. How helpful was that? I mean.. unless you are Bruce Bowen and you are just spreading the floor....

But whatever.. I hope the kid develops into a legit All-Star, but I'm not counting on it. There is a degree of humility required, and it the Thunder end up landing a guy like Lopez and Waiters falls back to 4th on the depth chart, I think there will be a problem in the locker room.

IKnowHoops
01-21-2015, 08:05 PM
Deon is a good talent IMO but he just has no idea how to play "Championship Basketball". He was learning and getting better and he had his good days. JR smith, who I don't think is as skilled as Deon has a better shot, is more patient, and is just a smarter player and those things make him a much better fit on the Cavs from what Ive seen so far. Im beginning to think J.R. is severely underrated and much of his bad rap has come from being on such a dysfunctional, individually selfish, and lack of direction having Knicks team. He has adjusted beautifully in the short time he has been on Cleveland and I love watching him play on the team. Its like many of his perceived weaknesses are strengths on this Cleveland team. Happy for him, but I hope Deon can get right out in OKC too.

Goose17
01-21-2015, 08:16 PM
Im beginning to think J.R. is severely underrated

I'm beginning to think your screen name is supposed to be ironic.

ATX
01-21-2015, 08:16 PM
He's just bitter towards the Cavs...Who wouldn't be though? Terribly run organization. However, he's just not that good...I mean he's okay, but nothing special. I get the feeling if OKC doesn't prosper he'll start becoming a distraction for them as well.

WITZ
01-21-2015, 08:29 PM
He's just bitter towards the Cavs...Who wouldn't be though? Terribly run organization. However, he's just not that good...I mean he's okay, but nothing special. I get the feeling if OKC doesn't prosper he'll start becoming a distraction for them as well.

Good thing Lebron wasn't.

Jeffy25
01-21-2015, 10:57 PM
Per 100 possessions

Field Goal Attempts
CLE - 22.7
OKC - 22.6

Usage
CLE - 24.0
OKC - 22.9

Perception isn't always reality Dion

I find him to be a very poor player anyway, and I don't think he will have a very successful career in this league.

He is getting 4 more minutes per game though

IKnowHoops
01-21-2015, 11:03 PM
I'm beginning to think your screen name is supposed to be ironic.

Im just so far ahead of you that your confused.

FlashBolt
01-22-2015, 01:22 AM
What the hell did Dion expect? He was locker room trouble since the beginning. Dating back to earlier this year, he even called out Kyrie Irving again. When LeBron James is on your team, you play to his fitting. He's the champion, you're the scrub. Dion doesn't understand that Cleveland doesn't need him. Either he changed, or he gets traded. He's way too over himself to think he's any good. This idiot really thought he was better than Kyrie? Haha. This is why I thought Cleveland should have traded Waiters a long time ago. You could tell his teammates hated playing with him.

cahawk
01-22-2015, 02:51 AM
Waiters pattern continues, a problem teammate.
Previous years always complained about not enough shots & touches while taking bad shots, especially of Irving.
When Lebron & Love came one of primary concerns was of Waiters taking bad shots & yet demanding more.
This was a good trade & OKC only has two stars rather than 3 at Cavs but still doubt he will get the 10 shots a game he was getting.

FraziersKnicks
01-22-2015, 06:58 AM
Definitely delusional :laugh2: Heres the numbers via twitter

"Dion Waiters time of possession per 36 minutes on the floor.
w/ CLE: 2:42
w/ OKC: 2:15"

& "Touches per 36 in CLE: 48. In OKC? 39.7. Oh. RT @ESPNNBA: Dion Waiters is really happy to be on the Thunder now... "

:laugh2:

Waiters is so salty about the Cavs. He's literally a poor mans JR.

JR Smith on Cavs: 14.6 PPG, 3.5 RPG, 1.8 APG, 1.9 SPG, .419/.355/.778, 53.7 TS%
Dion Waiters on Thunder: 11.9 PPG, 2.1 RPG, 1.3 APG, 1.6 SPG, .400/.261/.692, 45.7 TS%

The really really upgraded by getting rid of Dion considering Shump hasn't even played for them as well yet. Horrible trade for the Thunder.