PDA

View Full Version : *** halfway through season ***

Sanjay
01-18-2015, 07:29 PM
As we are at about the midpoint of the season, I wanted to get everybody's thoughts of the first half of the season. Obviously in the NBA things can change in an instant, but I think halfway through the season is the earliest time you can make predictions about what might happen in the second half of the season. So:

1. Who will face off in the Finals and win? Are these the same teams you predicted at the start of the season?
Sticking with the Spurs over the Cavs, I still think Cleveland will get it together, good win for them at the Clippers a couple of nights ago.
2. Are there any surprise teams that you think will make the playoffs? Would they have a good chance of making a run in the playoffs?
I think the Thunder will get in over the Suns if you call that a surprise and they could potentially go all the way. In the East, I think the Pistons will make it ahead of the Nets, but I don't think they have a realistic chance in the playoffs unless they come up against a dysfunctional Cavs team.
3. MVP? Defensive Player of the Year? 6th Man of the Year? Coach of the Year? Rookie of the Year?
So far I can't go pass Curry, been great on both ends and the Warriors have the bets record in the league. My top 5 would be: Curry, Davis, Harden, Lowry, Butler. I excluded Durant and Westbrook because they have been out a lot and LeBron because he has been a bit off and the Cavs haven't been doing so well. Defense man: AD? 6th Man: Crawford. Coach: Budenholzer. Rook: Wiggins? Everybody else is hurt, although he has improved throughout this season.
4. Biggest team and individual surprises and disappointments?
Obviously the Hawks and Knicks. Individually, did not expect Green to be playing this good and vice-versa for Love.
5. Trades that will/should be made for contending teams?
The Thunder need a quality, experienced center. Lopez might be going to the Rockets now? The Clippers need an upgrade at the 3. The Trail Blazers are looking at Wilson Chandler too? The Mavericks and Raptors need to add to their bench.
6. How will the Hawks' season finish?
I think they will slow down in the second half of the season and may exit in the first round, although they could make the second.

Post anything else about the first 41-odd games/rest of the season too.

goingfor28
01-18-2015, 08:00 PM
Finals: GS over Atl
Surprise playoff team(s): Detroit or Charlotte gets in, Suns hold onto 8 seed over OKC
MVP: Steph
DPOY: no clue
6MOY: Jamal
COY: Mike Bud
ROY: Wiggins
Biggest team surprise: Hawks
Biggest team disappointment: Cavs
Trades: Clips need a wing defender badly other than that idk
Hawks: will finish w the best record in the East by 8 games, win the Eastern conference. They are Spurs East. Definition of TEAM ball

Redrum187
01-18-2015, 08:11 PM
Finals: San Antonio Spurs vs Atlanta Hawks
Surprise playoff team(s): Detroit gets in. Suns drop out for OKC to come in.
MVP: Curry
DPOY: Chandler/Gasol/Draymond Green?
6MOY: Manu Ginobili
COY: Mike Bud
Biggest team surprise: Atlanta
Biggest team disappointment: Cleveland
Trades: Clippers need a SF. Mavericks need a backup C. Portland needs a backup C.
Hawks: Will claim number 1 seed. Will play the San Antonio Spurs in the finals only to lose in 6.

*Silver&Black*
01-18-2015, 10:14 PM
Spurs vs Hawks finals would be all kinds of awesome.

king4day
01-19-2015, 10:57 AM
Finals: Memphis v. Chicago
Surprise playoff team(s): Detroit & Suns (OKC getting in really wouldn't surprise anyone as they could have/ should have been top 4 in the West)
COY: Mike Budenholzer
Biggest team disappointment: NY (Nobody had them THIS bad. Charlotte would be right behind them for me.

Goose17
01-19-2015, 12:05 PM
1. Who will face off in the Finals and win? Are these the same teams you predicted at the start of the season? No. I predicted Chicago (I think?) I now believe it will be Atlanta or Toronto from the East. As for the West? Pretty much anyone that makes the playoffs could go all the way (realistically the 7th and 8th seed this year could be SAS and OKC, last years conference finalists. That says something about this conference).

2. Are there any surprise teams that you think will make the playoffs? Would they have a good chance of making a run in the playoffs?

Nope.

3. MVP? Defensive Player of the Year? 6th Man of the Year? Coach of the Year? Rookie of the Year?

MVP - Steph or Harden. It should be Steph. It might be Harden due to Houston having less depth and Dwight being out for a while.

Knicks aren't disappointing imo, they're just as bad as I thought they would be, maybe a little worse. I said they would suck. I would pick LAC or Charlotte as the biggest disappointments. Milwaukee and Atlanta as the biggest surprises.

Clips need a 3. Thunder need a 5. Warriors need a solid back up 5 that can defend at a high caliber and pass well. Houston need a better bench. New Orleans need to ditch Gordon, get themselves a young wing.

Best in the East. Conference final appearance at minimum.

Sanjay
01-19-2015, 06:02 PM
Finals: Memphis v. Chicago
Surprise playoff team(s): Detroit & Suns (OKC getting in really wouldn't surprise anyone as they could have/ should have been top 4 in the West)
COY: Mike Budenholzer
Biggest team disappointment: NY (Nobody had them THIS bad. Charlotte would be right behind them for me.

I guess New York is tanking now so they are beyond a disappointment lol, I would say the Heat are up there too, definitely did not expect them to be under .500 in the East.

Sanjay
01-19-2015, 06:26 PM
Wow, surprised everybody has the Hawks to get through to the Finals or at least the Conference Finals even with minimal playoff experience.

Redrum187
01-19-2015, 10:28 PM
Wow, surprised everybody has the Hawks to get through to the Finals or at least the Conference Finals even with minimal playoff experience.

Which eastern team has extensive playoff experience? Chicago Bulls?

I think that in spite of their lack of playoff experience, they will make it to the ECF, then to the Finals, only to lose to the team with tons of playoff continuity, the San Antonio Spurs.

tredigs
01-20-2015, 01:11 PM
As we are at about the midpoint of the season, I wanted to get everybody's thoughts of the first half of the season. Obviously in the NBA things can change in an instant, but I think halfway through the season is the earliest time you can make predictions about what might happen in the second half of the season. So:

1. Who will face off in the Finals and win? Are these the same teams you predicted at the start of the season?
Sticking with the Spurs over the Cavs, I still think Cleveland will get it together, good win for them at the Clippers a couple of nights ago.
I think the Thunder will get in over the Suns if you call that a surprise and they could potentially go all the way. In the East, I think the Pistons will make it ahead of the Nets, but I don't think they have a realistic chance in the playoffs unless they come up against a dysfunctional Cavs team.
So far I can't go pass Curry, been great on both ends and the Warriors have the bets record in the league. My top 5 would be: Curry, Davis, Harden, Lowry, Butler. I excluded Durant and Westbrook because they have been out a lot and LeBron because he has been a bit off and the Cavs haven't been doing so well. Defense man: AD? 6th Man: Crawford. Coach: Budenholzer. Rook: Wiggins? Everybody else is hurt, although he has improved throughout this season.
Obviously the Hawks and Knicks. Individually, did not expect Green to be playing this good and vice-versa for Love.
The Thunder need a quality, experienced center. Lopez might be going to the Rockets now? The Clippers need an upgrade at the 3. The Trail Blazers are looking at Wilson Chandler too? The Mavericks and Raptors need to add to their bench.
I think they will slow down in the second half of the season and may exit in the first round, although they could make the second.

Finals = Warriors over Hawks (that's more of a hope. The field has better odds than either of these two do of making it).

Surprise teams that could make a run? Not really. There would be nothing surprising about OKC making the playoffs or making a run.

DPOY = Dray Green. Leads the league in D Rating + D win Shares and is #2 in DRPM. Guarding virtually every position at one point every night. COY = Budenholzer? Kerr? Both teams are overachieving and doing so with elite chemistry and an outward respect from their players. 6th man = I don't know. Would have to think on that some more.

Trades for contenders? Thunder need to get rid of Jackson if they're rolling with Waiters, that's the key move that I see happening for a contender right now.

Depending on the luck of the draw with matchups, the Hawks should finish with a tough battle in the ECF's, possibly resulting in the Finals. They're very good to elite on both ends of the floor. That won't be easy to out.

DreamShaker
01-20-2015, 01:17 PM
Bulls over Warriors. Not the teams I would have predicted, but a man has the right to change his mind!

I'm buying the Thunder making the playoffs and having a decent shot at a first round upset.

DPOY: Jimmy Butler. Just to break the trend of a big man winning it every year.
6th Man: Speights from GS.
ROY: Wiggins. I don't think it's close at this point.
MVP: Very tight race, but I gotta go with Harden. He is Mr. Everything for the Rockets this year. He is carrying his team in a way that Curry isn't having to due to the Warriors crazy depth.

The Hawks on top of the East is crazy. Sometimes teams just need a few years to gel, and if you keep the core together, good things can happen.

Rockets need another big guy. I would look for them to trade Josh Smith or Terrance Jones for a legit backup center, and maybe another point guard. Having both of those guys is redundant. The Grizzlies and the Clippers could use a SF, and the Cavs could use more depth. This is the most active trading season we've had in years, so I expect many crazy things to happen over the next month.

So hard to predict. The long winning streak is huge, but it doesn't always mean they are built for the playoffs. My Rockets had a team that won 22 straight games a few years back, made it to first place, and then collapsed. This Hawks team seems more legit, especially in the East, but time will tell come playoff time. The ECF is within reach, but I'm not sure about the NBA Finals.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-20-2015, 02:55 PM

Rockets interested in Lopez? How they plan on trading for him? All their cap is in the starting line up. Doubt they part with any of them guys. Doubt they trade like 4 or 5 guys for 1. That kill their bench. Also Lopez is a injury risk.

Saddletramp
01-20-2015, 03:18 PM
1. Who will face off in the Finals and win? Are these the same teams you predicted at the start of the season? No. I predicted Chicago (I think?) I now believe it will be Atlanta or Toronto from the East. As for the West? Pretty much anyone that makes the playoffs could go all the way (realistically the 7th and 8th seed this year could be SAS and OKC, last years conference finalists. That says something about this conference).

Nope.

MVP - Steph or Harden. It should be Steph. It might be Harden due to Houston having less depth and Dwight being out for a while.

Knicks aren't disappointing imo, they're just as bad as I thought they would be, maybe a little worse. I said they would suck. I would pick LAC or Charlotte as the biggest disappointments. Milwaukee and Atlanta as the biggest surprises.

Clips need a 3. Thunder need a 5. Warriors need a solid back up 5 that can defend at a high caliber and pass well. Houston need a better bench. New Orleans need to ditch Gordon, get themselves a young wing.

Best in the East. Conference final appearance at minimum.

With the exception of the Toronto comment (I think it'll be Atl/Cle/Chi in that order), I pretty much gotta agree with this. Saves me a bunch of typing, too.

Minimal
01-20-2015, 06:17 PM

Mavs over Cavs. Yes same teams since the start of the season.

OKC. Small chance.

MVP - James Harden
DPOY - Draymond Green
COY - Budenholzer
ROY - Wiggins

Surprise - Atlanta/Butler
Dissapointment - Sacramento/Love

Not diving into this one

Lose in conference finals or 2nd round to the Cavs, depends on seeding.

albertajaysfan
01-20-2015, 06:41 PM
With the exception of the Toronto comment (I think it'll be Atl/Cle/Chi in that order), I pretty much gotta agree with this. Saves me a bunch of typing, too.

Even as a Raptors fan I completely agree about them getting out of the East. Their deficiencies are to important of factors in being a successful team. I am starting to believe the Raptors need a serious make over. They have some great pieces to build around mind you.

I thought it was going to be Golden State and Chicago. I now believe it will be Atlanta instead of Chicago.

They aren't a surprise team based on their current standing however I never would have predicted the Bucks making the playoffs at the beginning of the year. I also think Detroit make the playoffs over Brooklyn.

DPOY: This award never seems to go to anyone who is great according to advanced stats. It often seems to be the sexy pick which is why I think Anthony Davis gets it.
6th Man: Thomas if Phoenix make the playoffs otherwise Crawford.
ROY: Wiggins. I don't think it's close at this point.
MVP: I think if GS keep going at their current pace Curry wins it. If they fall back to the pack a little out West it goes to Harden.
COY: Budenholzer and it shouldn't even be close. Kerr doesn't get it because everyone expected Golden State to competitive. No one predicted the Hawks being where they are.

Surprises: Team - Atlanta and Milwaukee Individual - Draymond Green I always liked him but he has been impressive.
Disappointments: Team - Miami, I expected a drop off but wow. Cleveland is second I thought they would start slow but not .500 at the halfway point slow. Individual - Lance Stephenson, I thought he would actually help Charlotte at least a little bit.

Clippers need to add a wing player somehow.

I think how they finish has more to do with if Chicago and Cleveland can get on the right track or not. Either way I see them getting the 1st seed in the East.

Sanjay
01-21-2015, 06:12 PM
Which eastern team has extensive playoff experience? Chicago Bulls?

I think that in spite of their lack of playoff experience, they will make it to the ECF, then to the Finals, only to lose to the team with tons of playoff continuity, the San Antonio Spurs.

I was not meaning significant playoff experience rather winning a series (Wizards beat the Bulls last season).

Sanjay
01-21-2015, 06:15 PM
Finals = Warriors over Hawks (that's more of a hope. The field has better odds than either of these two do of making it).

Surprise teams that could make a run? Not really. There would be nothing surprising about OKC making the playoffs or making a run.

DPOY = Dray Green. Leads the league in D Rating + D win Shares and is #2 in DRPM. Guarding virtually every position at one point every night. COY = Budenholzer? Kerr? Both teams are overachieving and doing so with elite chemistry and an outward respect from their players. 6th man = I don't know. Would have to think on that some more.

Trades for contenders? Thunder need to get rid of Jackson if they're rolling with Waiters, that's the key move that I see happening for a contender right now.

Depending on the luck of the draw with matchups, the Hawks should finish with a tough battle in the ECF's, possibly resulting in the Finals. They're very good to elite on both ends of the floor. That won't be easy to out.

Who do you think is a bad matchup(s) for the Hawks?

Sanjay
01-21-2015, 06:31 PM
Rockets interested in Lopez? How they plan on trading for him? All their cap is in the starting line up. Doubt they part with any of them guys. Doubt they trade like 4 or 5 guys for 1. That kill their bench. Also Lopez is a injury risk.

I just googled Lopez. This is one of the articles: http://fansided.com/2015/01/16/houston-rockets-pursuing-brook-lopez-trade/