PDA

View Full Version : Stephon Marbury: I Wanted To Die

NYKnickFanatic
01-18-2015, 12:56 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12187151/stephon-marbury-says-was-suicidal-nba-career-starbury-sneaker-line-failing

Former NBA All-Star Stephon Marbury said the combination of his struggling basketball career, failing "Starbury" sneaker company and death of his father in 2007 led to a downward spiral that resulted in suicidal thoughts in 2009.

"I wanted to die," Marbury said in an interview on HBO's "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel" that will air Tuesday night. "I wanted to kill myself some days. I did. ... It wasn't about basketball. It started

"When everything went on with the Knicks, and, you know, my father passed on, the [Starbury] brand was -- it was basically losing life slowly," Marbury told "Real Sports." "And I was watching it. And I think that was hurting me more than seeing my basketball career going in the direction that it was going. ... I was trapped in my thoughts. I was trapped in how I felt about how I felt I was treated. I was trapped with decisions that I made."

"To be told that you're a loser, that you can't win, and that you can't do this, and you can't do that," Marbury told "Real Sports." "Then to come some place without speaking the language with the cultural barriers, to be able to accomplish that -- that goal was, is beyond anything. ... I left one place where they was basically hating me. And I come to another place where they love me? I'm like, 'Why would I want to go back to a place where they hate me?' I mean, that makes no sense to me."

goingfor28
01-18-2015, 01:38 AM
I like his head tat

FlakeyFool
01-18-2015, 01:39 AM
He ate alot of vaseline

Lakers + Giants
01-18-2015, 01:49 AM
So he basically wants to stay in China?

Good for him, suicide is never the solution. If he's happy and feels appreciated over there then good ****.

Wade n Fade
01-18-2015, 02:56 AM
Hate the Knicks, but Starbury was legit. I wonder if people will consider him a hall of fame? 20 and 7 per game I think for his career.

More-Than-Most
01-18-2015, 03:54 AM
this guy never sold out... He sold his own shoe line at 19.99.... Because he remembered when he was younger how he couldnt afford to have the super athlete shoes... Something I always admired about him

nastynice
01-18-2015, 08:42 AM
So he basically wants to stay in China?

Good for him, suicide is never the solution. If he's happy and feels appreciated over there then good ****.

x2. glad he got through those times and is at a point where he can talk about it now

KnicksorBust
01-18-2015, 11:18 AM
M3ob

ichitownclowni
01-18-2015, 11:26 AM
this guy never sold out... He sold his own shoe line at 19.99.... Because he remembered when he was younger how he couldnt afford to have the super athlete shoes... Something I always admired about him
Hell yes. Everyone I knew had a pair. Every month there was a group of us, we would all save up and at the end of the month we'd go and buy a new pair, afterwards we'd go to the park and play 4 on 4 or 5 on 5. We'd go in there with dimes lol. Great times.

Shady66
01-18-2015, 12:25 PM
He ate alot of vaseline
This

Shady66
01-18-2015, 12:27 PM
I remember watching him stream once on Justin TV. He was with a bunch of "friends" smoking weed and then eating Vaseline

hugepatsfan
01-19-2015, 09:54 AM
Sad story and I'm glad to hear that he seems to be back on track. I think it's a reminder to all of us that we just type words about the game online but for the players it's real life. When they hear about how they're a loser that hurts them just like it would if someone said it to us. Someone being a bad basketball player, even ultra-competitive and selfish as a result, doesn't make them a bad person. I think we should all remember that when we talk about sports… games ar employed by real human beings with feelings/emotions like ours.

Chrisclover
01-19-2015, 10:39 AM
Sad story and I'm glad to hear that he seems to be back on track. I think it's a reminder to all of us that we just type words about the game online but for the players it's real life. When they hear about how they're a loser that hurts them just like it would if someone said it to us. Someone being a bad basketball player, even ultra-competitive and selfish as a result, doesn't make them a bad person. I think we should all remember that when we talk about sports… games ar employed by real human beings with feelings/emotions like ours.
Now that he cannot regain dominance in the NBA, he had better stay in China, where he is appreciated and feels happy. If I were him, I would do the exact same decision.

Sandman
01-19-2015, 11:03 AM
He ate alot of vaseline

this shouldn't be as funny as it is