PDA

View Full Version : Is Kyle Korver having the greatest three point shooting season in NBA history?

Bruno
01-18-2015, 12:08 AM
The NBA record for best single season three point percentage is 53.6% (on 2.1 attempts per game), set by Utah Jazz Kyle Korver in the 2009-2010 season.

This season, Korver is shooting 52.7% from behind the arc on an incredible 5.7 attempts per game.

Does Korver break his own record for tops in NBA history this season?

Is Korver having the single greatest three point shooting season in NBA history? We are talking about shooting almost 53% on nearly six attempts per game. His current standing at 52.7% does not include tonights 7-9 performance from behind the arch.

Redrum187
01-18-2015, 12:18 AM
He is a monster from 3... I am leaning towards "yes", only because he could match or beat that shooting % (53.6), but do so while having more than twice as many attempts and [probably] more than 53 games. We shall see!

JV35
01-18-2015, 12:21 AM
Obviously. If he keeps up the current pace.

But, he still has a long way to go.

Bruno
01-18-2015, 12:23 AM
He is a monster from 3... I am leaning towards "yes", only because he could match or beat that shooting % (53.6), but do so while having more than twice as many attempts and [probably] more than 53 games. We shall see!

He's hit 125 through 40 games. So he's on pace for about 250 3's this season. 250 total 3's would be good enough for 5th all time (single season), right behind George McCloud (1996) and Jason Richardson (2008), and 22 total 3's behind Step Currys NBA record of 272 (2013).

Curry hit on 45.3% in 2013.

Korver won't pass Currys total title, but if he's close, and shooting 7-8% higher, at what point do we give him the nod?

Raps18-19 Champ
01-18-2015, 12:24 AM
Doesn't beat the % but doesn't matter.

Bruno
01-18-2015, 12:26 AM
Doesn't beat the % but doesn't matter.

you think its on pace to be the best even if he doesn't break his record?

PurpleLynch
01-18-2015, 04:18 AM
If he keep this pace and efficiency,absolutely yes.

sturm
01-18-2015, 07:02 AM
Absolutely yes. He can beat Curry this season. Lets go Korver!!

basch152
01-18-2015, 07:34 AM
He's hit 125 through 40 games. So he's on pace for about 250 3's this season. 250 total 3's would be good enough for 5th all time (single season), right behind George McCloud (1996) and Jason Richardson (2008), and 22 total 3's behind Step Currys NBA record of 272 (2013).

Curry hit on 45.3% in 2013.

Korver won't pass Currys total title, but if he's close, and shooting 7-8% higher, at what point do we give him the nod?

Well here's the thing, there's a difference between a player that largely creates his own shots, and a player that gets his shots set up for him.

Korver is a great shooter, but there's better shooters in NBA history that just set up their own shot more often lowering their percentage.

Goose17
01-18-2015, 08:59 AM
Well here's the thing, there's a difference between a player that largely creates his own shots, and a player that gets his shots set up for him.

Korver is a great shooter, but there's better shooters in NBA history that just set up their own shot more often lowering their percentage.

Korver is underrated in the sense that he can actually create space for his own shot, he's just better at the catch and shoot.

Degree of difficulty certainly plays into it though, I mean Steph's handles are second to none in this league and the way he can create space for his shot is ridiculous. On top of that he just makes some REALLY deep three's and some really tough, well contested shots. He's being double teamed pretty much all the time now and is relied on to take a heavy volume of shots. Korver is a great talent but he is still just a role player, he's not carrying the offensive load of a team.

effen5
01-18-2015, 10:41 AM
He should still be a bull...what people don't understand about korver is that he is ridiculous off the ball...he is in constant motion and defenders always gets lost. It's why he's so wide open.

KnicksorBust
01-18-2015, 10:58 AM
The NBA record for best single season three point percentage is 53.6% (on 2.1 attempts per game), set by Utah Jazz Kyle Korver in the 2009-2010 season.

This season, Korver is shooting 52.7% from behind the arc on an incredible 5.7 attempts per game.

Does Korver break his own record for tops in NBA history this season?

Is Korver having the single greatest three point shooting season in NBA history? We are talking about shooting almost 53% on nearly six attempts per game. His current standing at 52.7% does not include tonights 7-9 performance from behind the arch.

The difference in volume easily makes up the difference in percentage. Elite perimeter shooters are some of the most underrated players in the league.

SeoulBeatz
01-18-2015, 11:07 AM
He should still be a bull...what people don't understand about korver is that he is ridiculous off the ball...he is in constant motion and defenders always gets lost. It's why he's so wide open.

This. People saying he is a set shooter and nothing more have never watched him play consistently. Guy hits ridiculous off-balance shots coming off screens on a regular basis.

5ass
01-18-2015, 11:32 AM

I'm pretty sure most people understand that

Corey
01-18-2015, 11:37 AM
Akin to Ray Allen (when he stopped handling the ball so much) in terms of coming off screens and constantly moving. He's incredible.

Jamiecballer
01-19-2015, 12:47 AM
Yes he definitely is. By a country mile IMO

Jeffy25
01-19-2015, 01:13 AM
He may not make the most in a regular season, but he is well on his way to having the best three point shooting season of all-time.

Jeffy25
01-19-2015, 01:18 AM

Don't watch him play much?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVGzFg1feQc

This is the other night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18k3H885b8s

Here is another random game. You can see how he creates the space that he does.

Korver scores a lot off assists, that's true. But he is constantly creating his own shots by coming off off-ball screens and getting himself open. He doesn't handle the ball much, which is part of what makes him so dangerous. You have to guard him as if he has the ball, even when he doesn't.

tredigs
01-19-2015, 01:30 AM
What's the greatest as is? Curry's record 272 on 45% I guess? He did that as a #1 which is probably tougher, but yeah, I would say that if Korver can break 250 threes on 50% you'd have to say it's the best 3pt shooting season ever.

Jeffy25
01-19-2015, 01:39 AM
Three NBA players have had 2000+ 3PA, and a .42% rate shooting them in their careers:

Nash - 3939 3PA - .428%
Korver - 3782 3PA - .432%
Curry - 2349 3PA - .435%

Of course, Curry will probably still end up the best of all time

raiderposting
01-19-2015, 04:17 AM
Curry will do better if he played off ball the vast majority of the time. Korver can't hit step up and pull up 3s like curry. Curry is the better shooter because he doesn't need to be off ball, he can create it himself too.

nastynice
01-19-2015, 04:27 AM
What's the greatest as is? Curry's record 272 on 45% I guess? He did that as a #1 which is probably tougher, but yeah, I would say that if Korver can break 250 threes on 50% you'd have to say it's the best 3pt shooting season ever.

this

nastynice
01-19-2015, 04:28 AM
Curry will do better if he played off ball the vast majority of the time. Korver can't hit step up and pull up 3s like curry. Curry is the better shooter because he doesn't need to be off ball, he can create it himself too.

well, it makes him a better PLAYER, but I dont know if it makes him a better SHOOTER

basch152
01-19-2015, 05:23 AM
Don't watch him play much?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVGzFg1feQc

This is the other night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18k3H885b8s

Here is another random game. You can see how he creates the space that he does.

Korver scores a lot off assists, that's true. But he is constantly creating his own shots by coming off off-ball screens and getting himself open. He doesn't handle the ball much, which is part of what makes him so dangerous. You have to guard him as if he has the ball, even when he doesn't.

I watch him play, stop being so ****ing defensive.

He generally doesn't create his own shot too much, it's generally a pass off another guy creating space.

That's not to say he CAN'T create his own shot, but he doesn't always do so. If you don't think this helps his shooting % you're delusional.

Someone like currey creating shots and taking contested shots like he does is more impressive to me to still be over 40% honestly. The difference in the degree of difficulty of their shots is pretty high.

Btw, in the first video 12 of his 19 points are off set three point shots from a pass.. I really don't see what you think this proves.

Second video same thing... 6/8 threes were set shots off passes, other 2 were coming off good screens where he was wide open. Really, really don't know what you think these videos prove.

Goose17
01-19-2015, 06:17 AM
He's making the point that good off ball players don't get the credit they deserve for the way they move and create space without the ball.

Not needing the ball to be effective is a good thing. Not bad.

That being said it's a bit of a moot point because Curry is outstanding when he's playing off the ball. He just doesn't get to do it as much as he should because he's orchestrating the offense and becoming more of a pure point guard this year.

I think the Ray Allen comment was a much better comparison.

MrfadeawayJB
01-19-2015, 04:46 PM

well, it makes him a better PLAYER, but I dont know if it makes him a better SHOOTER

Exactly. Moving off the ball like korver does is a very underrated skill

mike44
01-19-2015, 05:32 PM
If his second half of the season is close to what he has done the first half then I would say it is the greatest. I think the highest ts% in a season is .708 by Tyson chandler, korver is at .739 right now. Crazy what he is doing.

valade16
01-20-2015, 11:23 AM
I can't think of a player I would be more afraid of if I saw them open at the 3pt line taking a shot than Kyle Korver.

tredigs
01-20-2015, 12:09 PM
Other than Damian Lillard of course.

JasonJohnHorn
01-20-2015, 12:16 PM
The sheer volume of shots he's taking... to shoot over .500 is just AMAZING!! There are centers who average lower percentages shooting inside the paint for crying out loud.

For me, this is easily the most impressive 3pt shooting season I've ever seen.

valade16
01-20-2015, 12:43 PM
Other than Damian Lillard of course.

Be careful, it might get hard for you to weasel your way out of saying that volume matters when discussing Korver's season being so spectacular and somehow not mattering when discussing Irving and Lillard...

tredigs
01-20-2015, 12:46 PM
Be careful, it might get hard for you to weasel your way out of saying that volume matters when discussing Korver's season being so spectacular and somehow not mattering when discussing Irving and Lillard...

:laugh2::laugh2: Is that a foreshadowing of you trying to weasel your way out of admitting Irving is on Lillard's level once again as a shooter now that they're regressing to their means? We'll get back to this at seasons end. Understand that Lillard is still getting the easier looks, that has not changed despite taking a couple more shots. And that's all that matters when discussing volume/role.

FlashBolt
01-20-2015, 03:35 PM
Doesn't Curry shoot better with the ball pulling up for a three than catch and shoot? Still, 52% is impressive whether or not you're catch and shoot/pulling up.

valade16
01-20-2015, 03:53 PM
:laugh2::laugh2: Is that a foreshadowing of you trying to weasel your way out of admitting Irving is on Lillard's level once again as a shooter now that they're regressing to their means? We'll get back to this at seasons end. Understand that Lillard is still getting the easier looks, that has not changed despite taking a couple more shots. And that's all that matters when discussing volume/role.

Not completely. Lillard's shots on average are further behind the 3PT line than Irving's, making them tougher.

But you're right, we'll see at the end of the season.

(Man, who would have thought Korver being a better 3PT shooter this season than your boy Curry would put you in such a bad mood)...

albertajaysfan
01-20-2015, 05:24 PM
Not only is Korver on pace to have the best 3pt shooting season ever. I would argue he is the best wing off the ball. Not only is he great at getting open he is also extremely underrated as a screener.

That Hawks team is beautiful to watch. Budenholzer is a brilliant coach.

Jeffy25
01-21-2015, 11:14 AM
I think it's neat that the two teams with the best record in the NBA are so great at spacing and hitting the jay

valade16
01-21-2015, 12:10 PM
I think it's neat that the two teams with the best record in the NBA are so great at spacing and hitting the jay

Don't think it's coincidence.

Jeffy25
01-21-2015, 12:11 PM
Don't think it's coincidence.

Agreed.

It's also my preferred style

Wrigheyes4MVP
01-21-2015, 12:56 PM
Yeah, but I doubt we see a Warriors vs. Hawks finals matchup.

My pick is Cavs vs. Mavs