PDA

View Full Version : Westbrook pulls a Marshawn Lynch, acts like a jerk in postgame interview

mightybosstone
01-17-2015, 01:54 PM
http://www.si.com/nba/2015/01/17/russell-westbrook-execution-interview-thunder-warriors

The link to the interview is above. I understand that sometimes athletes don't want to talk to reporters, but I just think this is pathetic. Not only is it immature and rude to act to the media like that after a game, but I think it's selfish. It turns what should be a simple postgame interview into a bigger story than it needs to be and brings unnecessary negative attention to a team after what was a really positive night for them.

I've always liked Russell Westbrook as a player. But the more and more I see of him as a person, the less I like him as a human being.

kdspurman
01-17-2015, 02:04 PM
He's done similar stuff before, not surprised

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-17-2015, 02:08 PM
lmfao

love this guy

goingfor28
01-17-2015, 02:13 PM
How is that being a jerk?

FraziersKnicks
01-17-2015, 02:17 PM
Yeah I don't really see the point.

He's just come off a massive triple double and a victory against a very good team. Why be such a dick?

I understand players don't always enjoy the media side do the game but the NBA is your employer and you're paid tens of millions of dollars. Giving interviews after a game is part of the deal.

That's like someone working in a shop and not wanting to serve someone because they don't like them.

Just pretty immature. The guy definitely seems like he's got a few screws loose.

jerellh528
01-17-2015, 02:21 PM
Immature for sure. I wish marshawn and these guys would sometimes give interviews like they used to before the fame got to their heads. http://youtu.be/z2tKQVQSNRA

Mell413
01-17-2015, 02:27 PM
The questions were reasonable and intelligent so I'm not sure why he was being a dick. Maybe he has a history with these reporters that I'm unaware of.

nycericanguy
01-17-2015, 02:28 PM
wow what a dick... but whats the point of all those pre and post game interviews with the same cliche questions and same cliche answers?

Do people actually like watching that?

Wade n Fade
01-17-2015, 02:31 PM
If I was a coach or player, I would give one word answers all the time. The media is annoying since it's about agendas.

jerellh528
01-17-2015, 02:41 PM
wow what a dick... but whats the point of all those pre and post game interviews with the same cliche questions and same cliche answers?

Do people actually like watching that?

Speaking strictly for myself. I watch every single one that gets posted to the packers website

nycericanguy
01-17-2015, 02:43 PM
Speaking strictly for myself. I watch every single one that gets posted to the packers website

maybe its different for football since there's only 16 games... but for the NBA and MLB, who wants to hear a players thoughts after every single game? that's 200 MLB games... i mean what are these guys supposed to say... it's a game and u either win or lose... especially these days where everyone is so PC...

colinskik
01-17-2015, 02:47 PM
Don't think it was that bad. But he clearly doesn't like that one reporter.

FraziersKnicks
01-17-2015, 02:55 PM

But he responded like a dick to the first reporters as well, just repeating his answer.

As a basketball player, there's no denying how talented he is. But as a person he doesn't come across at all well. Not to mention he has the all time worst fashion sense in NBA history.

Big Zo
01-17-2015, 02:56 PM
and here he is leaving the arena:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/rancid_69/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps157783df.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/rancid_69/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps157783df.jpg.html)

tredigs
01-17-2015, 03:04 PM
How is that being a jerk?

How is it not?

Who knows what the back-story here is, but yeah he was being a "jerk" and on purpose. Came off childish for sure.

lamzoka
01-17-2015, 03:11 PM
-

lamzoka
01-17-2015, 03:15 PM
This interview was perfectly executed

This guy wrote an article saying Westbrook is a chucker and he's holding the team back. The thunder is living off past success and not accomplishing anything at all this season even though half of the team was hurt most of the season.

The media make a living bashing these guys, then wanna be all buddy-buddy for an interview.

nycericanguy
01-17-2015, 03:19 PM

he was being a dick with all the reporters though... rolling his eyes, looking around, giving one word answers... he was throwing a hissy fit the whole time...lol

goingfor28
01-17-2015, 03:28 PM
If I was a coach or player, I would give one word answers all the time. The media is annoying since it's about agendas.
Exactly this. Completely agree

tredigs
01-17-2015, 03:52 PM
^ Never mind that he's making 200 thousand dollars to play in that game alone and the coverage by the media is a necessary/crucial part of that? It's part of his job.

FraziersKnicks
01-17-2015, 03:54 PM
^ Never mind that he's making 200 thousand dollars to play in that game alone and the coverage by the media is a necessary/crucial part of that? It's part of his job.

Exactly.

If any person in a normal job didn't do something that was required of them and acted this immaturely they would probably get fired.

He just needs to grow up. Especially when he's meant to be one of the "leaders" of his team.

jerellh528
01-17-2015, 04:18 PM
If it wasn't for the media, these guys wouldn't even have a job playing sports.

PowerHouse
01-17-2015, 04:34 PM
Was he really trying to pull out the inner Marshon Lynch?

It seemed much more like an inner Rasheed Wallace to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yXiWZyJL90

Bruno
01-17-2015, 04:53 PM
I love it. screw the media and their blow hard pretentious questions.

my only problem is that he didn't do it as well as Lynch. Lynchs "yeah" interview is legendary. ill give this a C+

mightybosstone
01-17-2015, 05:23 PM

:nod:

Exactly. Without media coverage, professional athletes would make a small fraction of what they make today. And those journalists make a fraction in a year what those players make in a single game, but Westbrook treats them with such disdain. I didn't cover sports for very long, but as someone who has done the whole sports journalism thing for a while, it's not the easiest job in the world. You're just trying to get a few decent quotes to get back and get the story done before deadline. It's stressful and the pay sucks. They deserve more respect than he gave them.

mightybosstone
01-17-2015, 05:25 PM

my only problem is that he didn't do it as well as Lynch. Lynchs "yeah" interview is legendary. ill give this a C+

What pretentious questions? I thought the majority of the questions asked were pretty legitimate sports questions. And what's up with this "screw the media" attitude? Without the media providing sports coverage 24/7, the presentation of professional sports would be crap and we wouldn't give two ***** about sports in the first place.

mike_noodles
01-17-2015, 05:30 PM
He's being a baby, let the millionaire baby sulk.

OKC
01-17-2015, 05:30 PM
I read somewhere that the reporter was the one who called Durant "Mr Unreliable", so that might explain it/

mike_noodles
01-17-2015, 05:31 PM

So you never read any articles with any quotes from players, because you don't want to support the media and their pretentious questions.

PurpleLynch
01-17-2015, 07:21 PM
The hate for the media is well deserved,but if doing interviews is a requirement in your job,you have to do it in a respectable way. Plus,the questions were just basketball related this time.

And please,don't compare this one to Lynch's one. The latter is legendary,well made(Westy looked dumb and not upset) and the situation is very different anyway.

mightybosstone
01-17-2015, 07:28 PM
The hate for the media is well deserved,but if doing interviews is a requirement in your job,you have to do it in a respectable way. Plus,the questions were just basketball related this time.

And please,don't compare this one to Lynch's one. The latter is legendary,well made(Westy looked dumb and not upset) and the situation is very different anyway.

I was clearly referring to how Westbrook avoided questions by repeating a simple phrase, similar to Lynch's previous interviews. Obviously they're different situations and were handled differently, but I don't think you need to be a rocket scientist to figure out why I made that comparison.

For the record, though, I actually found Lynch's interviews to be humorous, whereas this one seemed deliberately mean spirited.

More-Than-Most
01-17-2015, 07:37 PM
Its sad really... I dont mind if they dont wanna talk but keep it respectful. Guess being a professional means little.

PurpleLynch
01-17-2015, 08:12 PM
I was clearly referring to how Westbrook avoided questions by repeating a simple phrase, similar to Lynch's previous interviews. Obviously they're different situations and were handled differently, but I don't think you need to be a rocket scientist to figure out why I made that comparison.

For the record, though, I actually found Lynch's interviews to be humorous, whereas this one seemed deliberately mean spirited.

I was ironic,sorry if I made you feel upset,it wasn't my intention.
I just wanted to express my infinite love for that interview.

sammyvine
01-17-2015, 08:19 PM
Westbrook has never been a classy player in the way he comes across.

This is nothing new

cmellofan15
01-17-2015, 08:24 PM
I don't mind it, and I understand it to a point. Anthony Slater has constantly trashed Westbrook and tried to be his buddy after a great performance.

Crackadalic
01-17-2015, 08:38 PM
I mean yeah he was being a jerk but lets not act like these guys are robots. There humans and sometimes being ask the same damn question, which should be self explanatory sometimes, can get annoying. Maybe Westbrook went about it the wrong way but lets not act all" he's selfish and should be more respectful" when you got reporters who sometimes write attacking articles for particular players

Who's the say that reporter got at Westbrook at times in an article either writing about him poorly, in which he didn't deserve, or a headline that attack the player for no reason. I can name someone like Marc Berman who uses headines like" Giansis said knicks suck" but never said it when you read the actual article

I don't know the whole story as to why but lets not be quick to judge the player just because the other side is making "a fraction" and is free of any bashment.

Saddletramp
01-17-2015, 09:14 PM
Doesn't Lynch have some kind of social anxiety disorder? He usually looks very uncomfortable. Westbrook is just an *******. Always has been.

Lakers4Dynasty
01-17-2015, 09:34 PM
I think its a jerk move reasons

#1 this is your Job to give interviews..
#2 you won the damn games why be a dick about it.. simple Questions
#3 these people don't get paid millions they have a job to do just like sport players
#4 younger guys are watching and seen how you behave on TV and its not a good look and Interviews
#5 i think most Sports players don't give a **** about fans they pay your bills and that's it
#6 most of the time they fake been nice on TV in real Life they are real Jerks and act like Little Kids

SanAntonioSpurs23
01-17-2015, 09:59 PM
Westbrook is and always has been a douche.

apocalypse15
01-17-2015, 10:36 PM
Immature for sure. I wish marshawn and these guys would sometimes give interviews like they used to before the fame got to their heads. http://youtu.be/z2tKQVQSNRA

Drunk? Sounded funny but maybe that's why Lynch doesn't say much these days, he's not drunk on the field.

alexander_37
01-17-2015, 10:56 PM
Let's not compare this little douchebag to Beast Mode.

SlimKid
01-17-2015, 11:12 PM
Good for him. Too many sports reporters are self-righteous jack-offs.

SlimKid
01-17-2015, 11:15 PM

:eyebrow:

Sadds The Gr8
01-17-2015, 11:22 PM
The questions were reasonable and intelligent so I'm not sure why he was being a dick. Maybe he has a history with these reporters that I'm unaware of.
He said "I don't like you" to one of them so he must have a history with that guy. Maybe he was just in a bad mood because he got ripped in an article recently. He doesn't do this often so he should get a pass. If he didn't have a history with one of the reporters and just randomly acted like a dick for no reason then he'd deserve criticism

IBleedPurple
01-18-2015, 12:23 AM
Westy had always been a dick, no shocker here.

goingfor28
01-18-2015, 12:33 AM
He has to answer questions. Doesn't have to be anything in depth. I have no issue with how he handled it

Goose17
01-18-2015, 08:57 AM
Up until the "I don't like you..." it sounded a lot like a Popovich interview.

Then it got personal. Which was weird.

Now, do I have a problem with him telling the guy he doesn't like him? No. Not at all. I think people who dislike someone but are too scared to say it to their face are pathetic. I respect someone that speaks their mind.

However, he didn't have to go on about it and he didn't have to answer every question the same, that was immature.

It isn't the first time though, like in that other interview "that ****** tripping".

I think he likes the attention. He reminds me of an 11 year old with Attention Deficit Disorder. Old enough to know better but still craving the attention, acting out etc.

Tumstock
01-19-2015, 11:30 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfw7OcpuDcY

Paul Pierce making fun of westbrook

Goose17
01-19-2015, 12:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfw7OcpuDcY

Paul Pierce making fun of westbrook

LMAO. What a legend.

jaydubb
01-21-2015, 12:28 AM
He was solid till he made it all personal.. "I don't like you".. I love westy, probly my fav guard right now but man he sounded like a lil vagina right there..

Jeffy25
01-21-2015, 04:22 AM
It's just acting like a douche.

It's fine, don't talk to reporters, just walk by them. They understand. But repeating the same answer...you are just wasting everyone's time.

sturm
01-21-2015, 08:21 AM
He is being himself. Not mature. I dont like him either.

SportsFanatic10
01-21-2015, 01:21 PM
this is a pretty funny clip from after the game last night. right at the end of the interview ernie asks westbrook about his execution lol.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/21/tnts-ernie-johnson-trolls-russell-westbrook-with-question-about-execution-video/

WaDe03
01-21-2015, 01:59 PM
The media bashing him year after year about shooting too much and all these other things when the Thunder get knocked out of the playoffs might have something to do with it. It's just like someone talking **** about you then wanting to act like your best friend when they need something.

DenButsu
01-21-2015, 02:07 PM
He's a phenomenal player but a bigtime douchebag. But it's not as if his dickishness wasn't already well known, so this isn't really anything new.

Saddletramp
01-21-2015, 03:29 PM
It's just acting like a douche.

It's fine, don't talk to reporters, just walk by them. They understand. But repeating the same answer...you are just wasting everyone's time.

It's kind of part of their job to talk to reporters.

KingstonHawke
01-21-2015, 03:40 PM
They asked questions, he answered the questions. Nothing "jerk" about that. If you don't like his answers then go get an interview from someone else.

Tony_Starks
01-21-2015, 06:11 PM
If a particular reporter went out of his to trash talk me and take shots just to make headlines I wouldn't give him any good quotes either. He did his job, which is to answer questions.

As much as players deny it they not only read reports but they know who are the objective reporters and who are TMZ style jerks.