PDA

View Full Version : Can LeBron James keep JR Smith focused?

ewing
01-17-2015, 01:13 AM
If we are going to take this team seriously this a huge question. Melo sure as hell couldn't do it. Do they need JR to grow into real contenders?

albertajaysfan
01-17-2015, 03:05 AM
If we are going to take this team seriously this a huge question. Melo sure as hell couldn't do it. Do they need JR to grow into real contenders?

I think Shump was their target more so then JR. However I think winning is what can keep him focused. He seemed awfully focused the year the Knicks won 54 games.

Don't think Melo or Lebron have anything to do with it. I think it was Jason Kidd that held that Knicks team together and so far it doesn't seem like anyone has risen to the challenge for the Cavs this year.

IKnowHoops
01-17-2015, 07:28 AM
Yes

meloman1592
01-17-2015, 10:10 AM
If the cavs do well, he'll be focused. If not, no...nothing to do with anyone but himself

nycericanguy
01-17-2015, 11:20 AM
Being out of the NY nightlife and in CLE will help for sure.

LBJ will get him much better looks as well.

That being said, JR is just dumb... he's going to get hot for 4-6 weeks like he does every year, and you'll wonder if he's finally getting it... but he's not.

He's had some good games in CLE and some awful ones, but he lives and dies by his long jumpers. He almost never gets a FT attempt which is weird for such an athletic, explosive wing.

ManningToTyree
01-17-2015, 05:10 PM
No nobody can. He's a great talent that is wasted by being a complete knucklehead. Like posted above he will have his stretches where you might confuse him for an all star but they don't last.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-17-2015, 05:31 PM
Not completely but enough to be effective. Lebron had to deal with a bigger headache in West and West was fine during his time with the Cavs.

jimm120
01-17-2015, 05:35 PM

Melo got JR Focused for a while. 2013 season, JR won 6th man and a lot had to do with melo and woody. And in 2014, JR tried and finally got good at the end of the season.

Lets see what happens.

jimm120
01-17-2015, 05:36 PM
Being out of the NY nightlife and in CLE will help for sure.

LBJ will get him much better looks as well.

That being said, JR is just dumb... he's going to get hot for 4-6 weeks like he does every year, and you'll wonder if he's finally getting it... but he's not.

He's had some good games in CLE and some awful ones, but he lives and dies by his long jumpers. He almost never gets a FT attempt which is weird for such an athletic, explosive wing.

pretty much this.

Even during his 6th man of the year season, he had slumps that extended quite a bit. He had a good start to that season and a good finish.

NYKnickFanatic
01-17-2015, 11:00 PM
Melo got JR Focused for a while. 2013 season, JR won 6th man and a lot had to do with melo and woody. And in 2014, JR tried and finally got good at the end of the season.

Lets see what happens.

JKidd, not Melo.

People really don't know how valuable Kidd was to us that year.

KnicksorBust
01-17-2015, 11:24 PM
No.

Chrisclover
01-17-2015, 11:27 PM
Yes, they need him to grow. However I think nobody can affect him. He needs to realize it himself, not by his teammates.

Chrisclover
01-17-2015, 11:31 PM
No nobody can. He's a great talent that is wasted by being a complete knucklehead. Like posted above he will have his stretches where you might confuse him for an all star but they don't last.
Im just surprised that such a crass and inconsistent player could be focused enough to win the 6th man award. The better question is, why did he get worse since then? Team-record?

Seizabmc
01-17-2015, 11:32 PM
I always thought that jr smith had the potential to be a top Sg in the league .
If he can just stay focused .
When his head is in the game and not focused on how many likes he got on his profile.

He is great when he attacks the basket, which gets him going then he opens up on his range with his 3's.
And when he's feeling it he can be deadly with his clutch game.

Jr is a solid player when focused.
The question still remains , who can keep jr focused ?

Only himself.

Shady66
01-18-2015, 12:38 AM
When his head is in the game and not focused on how many likes he got on his profile.

He is great when he attacks the basket, which gets him going then he opens up on his range with his 3's.

Only himself.
Same, when he was in Denver I thought the sky was the limit for him

Lakers4Dynasty
01-18-2015, 02:12 AM
he's going to find a way to get some coke aka white girl in Cleveland ...this dude is really a thug he's going to **** **** up

Chrisclover
01-18-2015, 10:29 PM

Only himself.
I doubt if he can be. I sometimes think that maybe his occasional dazzling moments result from his foibles and antics. You know, when one is driven by something, he is incredibly focused.

IKnowHoops
01-21-2015, 12:55 AM
JR has been exactly what the Cavs have needed so far.

FlashBolt
01-21-2015, 04:55 AM
Since LeBron's return, J.R.'s numbers over four games:

PPG: 18
FG %: 51%
3PFG%: 49%
APG: 2
RPG: 2
SPG: 2
T/O: .25. Yup, he's totaled only 1 TURNOVER in four games.

By far, better than what Waiters has given Cleveland. If Shump can do half of what J.R. can while also providing Jimmy Butler defense, I'd say Cavs got a steal. Good to see J.R. playing well. Just hope he stays away from bad habits. Short sample, though. Let's see J.R. a month from now.

Jeffy25
01-21-2015, 10:58 AM
I don't know a lot about J.R other than his chucking tendencies.

But when watching the game the other night, the broadcasters talked about how he said there wasn't anything to do in Cleveland but play basketball (taking a shot at the night life I guess).

is he just that immature and unprofessional?

Burkey3472
01-21-2015, 11:42 AM

But when watching the game the other night, the broadcasters talked about how he said there wasn't anything to do in Cleveland but play basketball (taking a shot at the night life I guess).

That's what came to mind when he first got dealt to Cleveland. Just getting out of the NY will help him because Cleveland is far from NY in terms of night life. He will still be a knucklehead because that is just who is he but his off the court activities shouldn't hurt his value on the court like it did in NY.

nycericanguy
01-21-2015, 12:02 PM

JR said all he can do in CLE is order pizza and play video games...lol

Vee-Rex
01-21-2015, 01:29 PM
Since LeBron's return, J.R.'s numbers over four games:

PPG: 18
FG %: 51%
3PFG%: 49%
APG: 2
RPG: 2
SPG: 2
T/O: .25. Yup, he's totaled only 1 TURNOVER in four games.

By far, better than what Waiters has given Cleveland. If Shump can do half of what J.R. can while also providing Jimmy Butler defense, I'd say Cavs got a steal. Good to see J.R. playing well. Just hope he stays away from bad habits. Short sample, though. Let's see J.R. a month from now.

This x10.

Biggest difference between J.R. and Dion is that J.R. either pass or shoot the ball. He doesn't take 12+ seconds off the shot clock every possession. We already have enough dribbling between Kyrie and LeBron.

J.R has a wetter jumper than Dion too. Hoping he keeps it up.

IKnowHoops
01-21-2015, 02:13 PM
This x10.

Biggest difference between J.R. and Dion is that J.R. either pass or shoot the ball. He doesn't take 12+ seconds off the shot clock every possession. We already have enough dribbling between Kyrie and LeBron.

J.R has a wetter jumper than Dion too. Hoping he keeps it up.

Mos def