PDA

View Full Version : Does shutting a healthy player down ruin the spirit of the game?

JasonJohnHorn
01-16-2015, 01:12 PM
First off, let me say that I have no issues with somebody trying to overcome a nagging injury taking extra time off when they can play, but playing will prolong recover. That is perfectly fine. Likewise, if a guy is going to need surgery and was putting it off until the offseason, but a losing record encourages him to get it done earlier, cool. Totally makes sense.

But WTF is up with this talk of shutting Kobe down when he's healthy? I have NEVER heard of this before. I know the Knicks were talking about shutting Melo down, but that was to have surgery. And I know that Howard got shut down the second half of his last season with Orlando, but that was a back injury problem, which he still hadn't fully recovered from LAST season.

But unless I'm missing something, Kobe is healthy. Yes, it makes sense to limit minutes of an older player who needs time to recover (legit health concern), but if the Lakers do pull a healthy player and rest him for a third of the season or more, this is going to set an awful trend. This is a front office overtly TRYING to lose and giving up on the season (though it could be argued that pulling Kobe makes the Lakers better).

As a Bad Boys fan, I never saw Isiah Thomas and Dumars and Laimbeer and Rodman say: Well.. we are out of playoff contention, I'm taking the rest of the season off. Nor have I ever seen a front office say: Well, we aren't a contender and will likely miss the playoffs, so lets' just pull Hakeem out for the last month.

Do you think it is reasonable to a team to pull a healthy player off the roster and save them for next season? Or does the team have a responsibility to the fans and the spirit of the game to put the best product the floor so long as there are no health concerns?

This just smells like a problem to me, and I hate that coaches and players even feel comfortable discussing this.

Thoughts?

goingfor28
01-16-2015, 01:29 PM
Seems pretty lame to me.

bleedprple&gold
01-16-2015, 01:36 PM
A team/player has a right to choose whether to put that player on the floor. And they could pretty much make up an injury anyway and you can't disprove it. Lebron missed how many games with knee soreness? I'm sure Kobe has sore knees to, so he could sit out for that at any time.

And you've never seen this before? C'mon man, teams that are out of playoff contention shut down players ALL THE TIME! Don't act like this is unprecedented.

0nekhmer
01-16-2015, 01:42 PM
Kobe wouldn't let them shut him down. As much as you hate Kobe, he's still one of the most competitive guys in the history of the NBA.

cmellofan15
01-16-2015, 01:54 PM
A team/player has a right to choose whether to put that player on the floor. And they could pretty much make up an injury anyway and you can't disprove it. Lebron missed how many games with knee soreness? I'm sure Kobe has sore knees to, so he could sit out for that at any time.

And you've never seen this before? C'mon man, teams that are out of playoff contention shut down players ALL THE TIME! Don't act like this is unprecedented.

any examples? only examples i could think of are resting players for the playoffs.

tredigs
01-16-2015, 02:10 PM
any examples? only examples i could think of are resting players for the playoffs.
Well, the Warriors shut down Curry 4 years ago when it was top 7 or no pick for them.

He was coming off/battling his ankle injuries, but by all accounts who could have easily played the last 25 games of the season and management opted for the shut down to try to get the pick.

If there is merit to this it is a little strange, though. Kobe does not have anything seriously wrong right now to warrant the onset of him taking time off, so it would be a tough sell for them.

Vinylman
01-16-2015, 02:36 PM
First off, let me say that I have no issues with somebody trying to overcome a nagging injury taking extra time off when they can play, but playing will prolong recover. That is perfectly fine. Likewise, if a guy is going to need surgery and was putting it off until the offseason, but a losing record encourages him to get it done earlier, cool. Totally makes sense.

But WTF is up with this talk of shutting Kobe down when he's healthy? I have NEVER heard of this before. I know the Knicks were talking about shutting Melo down, but that was to have surgery. And I know that Howard got shut down the second half of his last season with Orlando, but that was a back injury problem, which he still hadn't fully recovered from LAST season.

But unless I'm missing something, Kobe is healthy. Yes, it makes sense to limit minutes of an older player who needs time to recover (legit health concern), but if the Lakers do pull a healthy player and rest him for a third of the season or more, this is going to set an awful trend. This is a front office overtly TRYING to lose and giving up on the season (though it could be argued that pulling Kobe makes the Lakers better).

As a Bad Boys fan, I never saw Isiah Thomas and Dumars and Laimbeer and Rodman say: Well.. we are out of playoff contention, I'm taking the rest of the season off. Nor have I ever seen a front office say: Well, we aren't a contender and will likely miss the playoffs, so lets' just pull Hakeem out for the last month.

Do you think it is reasonable to a team to pull a healthy player off the roster and save them for next season? Or does the team have a responsibility to the fans and the spirit of the game to put the best product the floor so long as there are no health concerns?

This just smells like a problem to me, and I hate that coaches and players even feel comfortable discussing this.

Thoughts?

2 things...

1 . where is your source on this?
2. when was that group of pistons not in the playoffs or contenders

your thread is lame and nothing more than speculation

Vinylman
01-16-2015, 02:37 PM

Gasol last year for the Lakers was shut down

Chronz
01-16-2015, 02:47 PM
Not in this era of advanced training methods. It's keeping up with the times. I remember lots of guys sitting out long before now too so it's definitely not new.

KG sat in minny Tmac in Orlando

Sanjay
01-16-2015, 06:19 PM
To be fair, Kobe is not exactly in great health in general. He is in his 19th season and has just come back from two significant injuries which would end most players careers, especially at his age. Is this any different from the Knicks trading all their players for cap space and future draft picks? Kobe and the Lakers are their team, no one elses.

Thoughts?

northpass523
01-16-2015, 06:25 PM
The NBA is in a weird place right now with so many teams devaluing the regular season, either by tanking to get a better draft pick, or resting players who be fresher for the playoffs. I don't see this changing soon, and it's a little frustrating as a fan, but this just shows that the regular season is too long. Teams know that every game isn't that important, so sitting players is smart in certain cases. San Antonio has also proven that giving bench players extended minutes in the regular season they will be more ready to contribute in the playoffs, so it makes sense that teams will imitate them.

IKnowHoops
01-16-2015, 08:33 PM
I see both sides to the argument. I think Kobe has earned shutting it down. He's right next to retirement so if its between retiring and shutting it down so that you don't have to, then shut it down. It would be awful for a 25 year old Kobe to shut it down, but a Kobe with this many miles on him, I really don't have any problem with it.

JasonJohnHorn
01-16-2015, 08:56 PM
2 things...

your thread is lame and nothing more than speculation

First, here are the sources:
http://prosportsdaily.com/articles/kobe-bryant-says-he-would-accept-a-shut-down-337703.html
http://prosportsdaily.com/articles/byron-scott-if-lakers-out-of-playoff-contention-in-march-kobe-could-get-shut-down-337467.html

Well, I assume you are just too lazy to look this up, but the Pistons had all those players and missed the playoffs in 93. So congrats for telling a guy who is right that he is wrong. In case you are SUPER lazy: http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DET/1993.html

You comment is 'lame' and nothing more than shear ignorance and laziness masked as smugness that is annoying as all hell considering you are QUANTIFIABLY wrong on both counts, but whatever. Thanks for the completely unproductive comment that reads more like trolling and baiting than anything remotely resembling a constructive argument or commentary.

JasonJohnHorn
01-16-2015, 09:04 PM
Well, the Warriors shut down Curry 4 years ago when it was top 7 or no pick for them.

He was coming off/battling his ankle injuries, but by all accounts who could have easily played the last 25 games of the season and management opted for the shut down to try to get the pick.

If there is merit to this it is a little strange, though. Kobe does not have anything seriously wrong right now to warrant the onset of him taking time off, so it would be a tough sell for them.

That was a legit injury that he tried coming back from several times and got injured again before going in for season ending surgery. That wasn't 'shutting it down'. That was an injury. Here is the wiki synopsis:
"In May 2011, Curry had surgery on his right ankle to repair torn ligaments he got from multiple sprains during the 2010-11 season.[45] Curry was ready to play by the start of the lockout-shortened season with his new head coach Mark Jackson[46] but he sprained his surgically repaired right ankle during an exhibition game at Sacramento just days before the season started.[47] He still started the season opener vs. the Clippers, but only had 4 points on 2-12 shooting. The next game vs. the Chicago Bulls, Curry had 21 points and 10 assists to lead the Warriors to a 99-91 victory, but rolled his right ankle and missed the next game. He came back for 3 games and sprained his right ankle yet again on January 4.[48] He returned January 20 for the next 16 games before he strained a tendon in his right foot in a game vs. the Phoenix Suns on February 22.[49] On March 5, Curry returned vs. the Washington Wizards for 4 games before he had season ending arthroscopic surgery on his right ankle. The injury plagued season ended with Curry seeing action in only 26 of 66 games with averages of 14.7 points, 3.4 rebounds, 5.3 assists, and 1.5 steals.[50][51]"

JasonJohnHorn
01-16-2015, 09:12 PM
Not in this era of advanced training methods. It's keeping up with the times. I remember lots of guys sitting out long before now too so it's definitely not new.

KG sat in minny Tmac in Orlando

Garnett never played fewer than 76 games in Minny. I don't know when he was ever 'shut' down for a third of the season. And his last season there, when they were well out of the playoffs, he was averaging 39 minutes a game. I wouldn't call playing almost 40 minutes a game and only missing 6 games 'shutting it down'.

As for T-MAc, Houston made the playoffs every year he was there (except 06), so they were always trying to win games, save that last season where they didn't think his game was helping the team and put him on the shelf to work out a trade. The only exception was 06 when he had a legit injury. His back went out a couple times that season and he tried coming back only to see it go out again. They had a legit concern to let his back rest.

I don't see either of those as examples of putting a healthy guy on the shelf.

HoodedSB
01-16-2015, 10:41 PM
I'm probably the only laker fan left on this site who wants the lakers to win out, and even I don't have an issue with this. Kobe has played some serious minutes over his career, I see nothing wrong with sitting him for a game here and there. They seem to play better team ball when he isn't out there anyway, so I don't see this as a tank move considering they lose just as much when he is playing.

JasonJohnHorn
01-16-2015, 11:26 PM
I'm probably the only laker fan left on this site who wants the lakers to win out, and even I don't have an issue with this. Kobe has played some serious minutes over his career, I see nothing wrong with sitting him for a game here and there. They seem to play better team ball when he isn't out there anyway, so I don't see this as a tank move considering they lose just as much when he is playing.

I can respect this. I have no problem when a team has older players and lets them rest when there are back-to-back games, or reduce their minutes. I don't even have a problem with coaches who put All-Star caliber players at 32 minutes a game instead of pushing them to 40 minutes a game. Flip Saunders and Mike 'Antoni did that to the Pistons and Suns teams respectively when and got a lot of regular season wins, but it didn't help come playoff time. It hurts the longevity of the players, and doesn't allow you to develop your rotation players, who you will need in the playoffs.

But as a fan, I just feel like the whole point is putting out the best product possible. If a team has home court locked up, or their playoff position is locked up, sure, let the guys rest a couple games headed into the playoffs. But if you are a lottery team, you NEED to build a winning culture and putting out an inferior product and letting your players get clobbered is not a good way to build a team.

You are spot on with the level of play. The Lakers are just as good or better without Kobe, so this may not be a 'tank' move (a tank move would be giving Kobe 40 minutes a game and telling him to take 30 shots). I just hate to hear players and coaches PLANNING on giving up in the media. When Jordan came back and played for the Wizards, he busted his @$$ off every minute he was on the court even though he knew the playoffs were out of reach because he knew these guys NEEDED to learn HOW to win.

And as a fan... it's just bad all around. What is the motivation for a fan to go to a game if a team like Philly (as an example) is just going to put CBA players on the floor and call the season a wash before it even starts? Nick Young might be around a couple years. If the Lakers pick up a free agent to pair with Kobe, and he gets his groove back on next season, they are going to need a winning attitude, and if the guys on the team aren't playing to win now, they won't know how to play to win next year or the year after.

I dunno... I guess I'm old school, and I also remember watching guys like Karl Malone and Stockton who were trying to win every night, and knowing that their efforts were going to show up in posterity with their career totals even if they didn't win as many games as they'd like. Stockton and Malone, those last few seasons on Utah, knew they weren't going to win, but you never saw them, at 35, 36, 27 38, 39 years old give up on a season. They worked to stay in the playoffs as a point of pride.

Chrisclover
01-16-2015, 11:40 PM
Their player, their choice. You cannot ban shutting healthy players.
Also, Kobe may not have major health problems but it is as clear as day that his fg %is abysmal. Why is that? Tons of minor injuries that we the average people cannot possibly imagine. This guy is a 20-year veteran in the most competitive basketball league! Think about it.
I absolutely have no problem in shutting him down to let him come back normal, if not strong, next season.
Yea, I know people may say it is a tanking strategy. But hey, did the Lakers tank before? No. Last year is a golden opportunity to tank yet they didnt. And dont forget that the 2014 class is more tauted than the 2015 one.

cmellofan15
01-17-2015, 12:06 AM
remember that one time Pop got fined for benching his players? lol

jerellh528
01-17-2015, 12:15 AM
I hate the idea of sitting out player intentionally, just from a fan pov or for the ticket holders considering kobe is they only laker worth paying a dollar to watch, but if this in any way is a positive thing for the lakers next season and beyond, I'm for it. Maybe one last run for an 8th seed next year pending draft and free agency.

ohreally
01-17-2015, 12:51 AM
http://prosportsdaily.com/articles/kobe-bryant-says-he-would-accept-a-shut-down-337703.html
http://prosportsdaily.com/articles/byron-scott-if-lakers-out-of-playoff-contention-in-march-kobe-could-get-shut-down-337467.html

Well, both links on Kobe do seem to be to speculative articles, even if his coach is quoted, apparently in answer to a question, is doing some of the speculating.

And it is true that the Pistons missed the playoffs in '93, but they missed them by a game. The playoffs are a hole new season, as Stockton and Malone knew as well. Long odds in the playoffs is an entirely different thing than having no shot at all of making the playoffs. You can't dream of winning Lotto if you never bought a ticket.

Kobe is in his 19th year and not in the best of health. He's also an uber competitor. If he's playing he's He ain't playing. So if you're his coach, or respect the man at all, you really don't want to risk a debilitating injury in what are essentially meaningless games.

I don't see this as anything near what Philly has been doing, what the Knicks are doing, or even what Boston is doing. Or anything near what the Knicks did for several years running up the summer of Bron, Act I, when they stripped the team down, wasted precious years of players lives on a team of what they saw as throwaways. That's the real lack of respect for the game.

Getting so upset by speculation on Kobe seems to show some real bias when all this much more egregious c--p is and has been going on.

Bostonjorge
01-17-2015, 01:26 AM
Lakers are the defention of a winning culture. Lakers are alwyas trying to find ways to win but they are in the west and this year the west is the most dangerous in years and that's saying a lot. I would gurantee if the lakers played in the east the lakers would not even mention shutting kobe down. Instead it would be about getting one of those playoffs spots and getting kobe playoff ready.

We all know kobe does not want to shut it down but also is backing the front office. If they ask him to play he will play and try to win. If not then get ready for next year and try to win.

ewing
01-17-2015, 01:29 AM
yes

albertajaysfan
01-17-2015, 03:03 AM
I can respect this. I have no problem when a team has older players and lets them rest when there are back-to-back games, or reduce their minutes. I don't even have a problem with coaches who put All-Star caliber players at 32 minutes a game instead of pushing them to 40 minutes a game. Flip Saunders and Mike 'Antoni did that to the Pistons and Suns teams respectively when and got a lot of regular season wins, but it didn't help come playoff time. It hurts the longevity of the players, and doesn't allow you to develop your rotation players, who you will need in the playoffs.

But as a fan, I just feel like the whole point is putting out the best product possible. If a team has home court locked up, or their playoff position is locked up, sure, let the guys rest a couple games headed into the playoffs. But if you are a lottery team, you NEED to build a winning culture and putting out an inferior product and letting your players get clobbered is not a good way to build a team.

You are spot on with the level of play. The Lakers are just as good or better without Kobe, so this may not be a 'tank' move (a tank move would be giving Kobe 40 minutes a game and telling him to take 30 shots). I just hate to hear players and coaches PLANNING on giving up in the media. When Jordan came back and played for the Wizards, he busted his @$$ off every minute he was on the court even though he knew the playoffs were out of reach because he knew these guys NEEDED to learn HOW to win.

And as a fan... it's just bad all around. What is the motivation for a fan to go to a game if a team like Philly (as an example) is just going to put CBA players on the floor and call the season a wash before it even starts? Nick Young might be around a couple years. If the Lakers pick up a free agent to pair with Kobe, and he gets his groove back on next season, they are going to need a winning attitude, and if the guys on the team aren't playing to win now, they won't know how to play to win next year or the year after.

I dunno... I guess I'm old school, and I also remember watching guys like Karl Malone and Stockton who were trying to win every night, and knowing that their efforts were going to show up in posterity with their career totals even if they didn't win as many games as they'd like. Stockton and Malone, those last few seasons on Utah, knew they weren't going to win, but you never saw them, at 35, 36, 27 38, 39 years old give up on a season. They worked to stay in the playoffs as a point of pride.

While I understand your concerns I don't think it is anything new.

I remember rumours about last season Nerlens Noel being healthy enough to play at the end of the season. I remember Kyrie Irving getting shut down an awful lot at the end of seasons when the Cavaliers were garbage.

The real reason I wanted to comment though is to touch on the part of your comment I bolded. I think this statement is completely misguided. Most teams are trying to win. Maybe not right now, but they have some type of plan that is going to lead to winning. To be honest at this point I would say the 76ers have a better plan in place for winning then several other NBA teams. Sacramento, Brooklyn, Phoenix and Charlotte are all teams that pop into my head. They are putting 'the best product on the floor' as the moniker goes. But I don't see them winning much of anything in the next decade.

I think there are other things that should be more cause for concern in the NBA then shutting down players or realizing the team you have this season sucks so you might as well get rid of the deadweight.

My concerns about the NBA revolve mostly around officiating personally. It seems like far to often officials try to balance out bad calls by making more bad calls. Or they call a game in favour of teams getting blown out to keep the game close. Or blatant star calls. Ticky tac fouls during the regular season that stop getting called in the post season. The NBAs obsession with marketing a few select players, elevating individuals over the team game.

Those are my concerns regarding the NBA. As a fan of a team that never seemed to be able to tank properly (Toronto Raptors) it always infuriated me that they would just keep veterans that got in the way of the young kids playing but weren't good enough to make the team actually compete. I personally see tanking as rebuilding through the draft, which makes a lot of sense to me.

I have actually watched a few Philly games this season and I for one am excited to see what happens with that team in a few years. If they draft Mudiay this year I think they are a few decent role playing vets away from surprising the hell out of some people. If they are smart I think they go for one more top pick to add another valuable asset. Instead most people seem to buy into the negative side of what they are doing.

So considering the horrible position the Lakers are in. I think shutting Kobe down or severely limiting his minutes makes a lot of sense to me. Give some other players a chance to prove they are useful in some way. Even if it is only as trade bait. All while losing as much as possible to keep their pick for this year. Plus I think you are wrong to think that he is completely healthy.

Vinylman
01-17-2015, 11:48 AM

Well, I assume you are just too lazy to look this up, but the Pistons had all those players and missed the playoffs in 93. So congrats for telling a guy who is right that he is wrong. In case you are SUPER lazy: http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DET/1993.html

You comment is 'lame' and nothing more than shear ignorance and laziness masked as smugness that is annoying as all hell considering you are QUANTIFIABLY wrong on both counts, but whatever. Thanks for the completely unproductive comment that reads more like trolling and baiting than anything remotely resembling a constructive argument or commentary.

laughable... supporting your predetermined narrative that kobe is some how not professional if the TEAM shuts him down... maybe you should read the article you post as some sort of proof of your premise:

Lakers coach Byron Scott has been adamant that neither he nor the team's front office has had any discussions at this point about shutting down Bryant, but Scott did say this week that "I'm pretty sure if we're [not in] playoff contention in March or something like that, then we might discuss that."

As for the Pistons... they were irrelevant at that point... nice logic though... your a troll pure and simple

Vinylman
01-17-2015, 11:53 AM
Well, both links on Kobe do seem to be to speculative articles, even if his coach is quoted, apparently in answer to a question, is doing some of the speculating.

And it is true that the Pistons missed the playoffs in '93, but they missed them by a game. The playoffs are a hole new season, as Stockton and Malone knew as well. Long odds in the playoffs is an entirely different thing than having no shot at all of making the playoffs. You can't dream of winning Lotto if you never bought a ticket.

Kobe is in his 19th year and not in the best of health. He's also an uber competitor. If he's playing he's He ain't playing. So if you're his coach, or respect the man at all, you really don't want to risk a debilitating injury in what are essentially meaningless games.

I don't see this as anything near what Philly has been doing, what the Knicks are doing, or even what Boston is doing. Or anything near what the Knicks did for several years running up the summer of Bron, Act I, when they stripped the team down, wasted precious years of players lives on a team of what they saw as throwaways. That's the real lack of respect for the game.

Getting so upset by speculation on Kobe seems to show some real bias when all this much more egregious c--p is and has been going on.

as for the Detroit reference isiah and laimbeer were out of the NBA a year after they missed those playoffs and rodman left

JasonJohnHorn
01-17-2015, 03:01 PM
Their player, their choice. You cannot ban shutting healthy players.

They might not ban it, but the punish teams for it. Pop got fined for doing it on a night when his team had back-to-back games.

JasonJohnHorn
01-17-2015, 03:09 PM
laughable... supporting your predetermined narrative that kobe is some how not professional if the TEAM shuts him down... maybe you should read the article you post as some sort of proof of your premise:

Lakers coach Byron Scott has been adamant that neither he nor the team's front office has had any discussions at this point about shutting down Bryant, but Scott did say this week that "I'm pretty sure if we're [not in] playoff contention in March or something like that, then we might discuss that."

As for the Pistons... they were irrelevant at that point... nice logic though... your a troll pure and simple

Look... you got a problem with me outside of this obviously.

First, there are DIRECT quotes from both player and coach. It's not speculation. It's not 'trolling'. This is an on-going conversation. Both player and coach have said they will accept this and the coach has said if they are out off playoff contention by March, there will likely be a conversation about this. This is ON record. How is this speculation when both player and coach have spoken openly about it?

Second, YOU said Detroit never missed the playoffs with that roster. YOU WERE WRONG. PERIOD! Own up to it. Now you change what you said and say: "They weren't relevant then." That's kind of the point. They weren't relevant, AND THE STILL PLAYED. There was no conversation about shutting them down and improving their chances in the lottery. This is the point of the conversation. The Lakers aren't relevant now either. It is a comparable situation.

You are baiting. Throwing insult and name calling, and based on how you have responded to me in the past, this is clearly something personal. So why don't you find something more productive to do with your time than baiting people you've never met behind the safety of the anonymity of the internet.

JasonJohnHorn
01-17-2015, 03:13 PM
He is a typical troll

as for the Detroit reference isiah and laimbeer were out of the NBA a year after they missed those playoffs and rodman left

You said they never missed the playoff. You are wrong. Deal with it. Instead of baiting and calling somebody a troll because they PROVED you were wrong, why don't you just concede the point and move on. Grow up and stop acting like a child and repeating insults.

Phantom Dreamer
01-18-2015, 06:21 AM

Thoughts?

2 things...

your thread is lame and nothing more than speculationThe Pistons, with the core that won titles in 1989 and 1990 failed to make the playoffs in the 1992-93 season.