PDA

View Full Version : Hassan Whiteside calls out Doc Rivers and Sacremento Kings after much improved play

spreadeagle
01-15-2015, 07:53 PM
Hassan Whiteside had lottery talent, but he fell to the Kings in the second round of the 2010 NBA draft amid concerns about his coachability and inflated perception of his own value.

He spent the next two years in Sacramento proving his critics correct.

After just 19 games and 111 NBA minutes, he fell out of the league. He had stops in the D-League and overseas, getting some sniffs from NBA teams, but nothing came from them.

Then, the Heat signed Whiteside in November, and he’s taking advantage of the opportunity. In his last six games, he’s averaging 13.8 points on 71.7 percent shooting, 10.2 rebounds and 3.5 blocks in just 24.1 minutes.

His best game in the stretch came against the Clippers, when he had 23 points and 16 rebounds and was +27 in a 14-point win. Afterward, Whiteside was pretty blunt about Clippers coach Doc Rivers motiving him (hat tip: James Herbert of CBSSports.com):

Whiteside- "I got a chip on my shoulder. I mean, every team in the NBA said no to me – especially this team. I mean, I couldn’t even get a training-camp invite. The Clippers thought it was a good idea. Doc said no. I tried to get a workout, then Doc said no."

Marc J Spears-
"On being cut by Kings who he plays Friday w/Miami, Hassan Whiteside: "The guys that cut me, they're not there anymore. How smart was that?"
The Kings’ coach when they waived Whiteside? Keith Smart – the same Keith Smart who’s now an assistant in Miami.

That’s a little awkward, and frankly, Whiteside’s success is surely due in part to an attitude adjustment. He was never going to succeed in the NBA with his initial approach.

But I absolutely love Whiteside taking names and kicking ***. The league could use more players who are so open with what drives them. If his own assistant coach is collateral damage, so be it. http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/15/hassan-whiteside-taking-no-prisoners-in-revenge-tour-even-his-own-current-assistant-coach/

cmellofan15
01-15-2015, 08:40 PM
haha it's a little early for all the **** talk don't you think?

BKdoubleStacker
01-15-2015, 08:56 PM
For the same of my fantasy team I hope he continues to prove em wrong

Saddletramp
01-15-2015, 09:02 PM
Cut Doc some slack; he's not very good with guys who aren't All-Stars.

Big Zo
01-15-2015, 09:02 PM
I hope he continues doing well not only cuz i'm a Heat fan, but also cuz his name is fun to say with an Asian accent.

NYKnickFanatic
01-15-2015, 09:28 PM
Old news.

rocket
01-15-2015, 09:43 PM

z1ng

Cracka2HI!
01-16-2015, 01:45 AM
LOL, Doc showing his elite GM skills again.

Iron24th
01-16-2015, 02:49 AM
The guy should stay humble, he didn't even play 20 games at a decent level.

Sneaky
01-16-2015, 03:11 AM
A little too early homie but keep doing what you doing.

Cracka2HI!
01-16-2015, 04:25 AM
If that he's saying about wanting a tryout for the Clipps and being rejected by Doc so he can sign Udoh I have zero problem with Whiteside rubbing it in Doc's face after he killed the Clippers the other day. Can you tell I'm not happy with Doc Rivers?

kingsdelez24
01-16-2015, 05:55 AM
Bill Simmons said it best, "GM Doc is disappointing Doc the coach". I do think that its a bit too early to say that he failed as a gm, but his offseason moves haven't helped the team as much as they should have

Cracka2HI!
01-16-2015, 07:25 AM
Every move he's made has hurt.

Bledsoe/Butler for Reddick/Dudley, I could write an essay about how awful and foolish this trade was, I won't.
Matt Barnes is living up to his contract but it wasn't necessary to pay him that much.
Signed Darren Collison who left, could have easily locked up Collison with Barnes money.
Drafted duplicate old SG's in Reggie Bullock and CJ Wilcox, traded Bullock who clearly looks like the better of the 2.
Traded Jared Dudley who would easily be his 7th man and a crippling 1st round pick for nothing. The trade was made to clear cap space to fill the roster with scrubs CDR, Epke Udoh and old-timer Hedo Turkuglu.
Used the MLE on Spencer Hawes over Paul Pierce
Many others would have been better than Hawes for the MLE
The team couldn't afford to waste the MLE
Wasted the BAE on Jordan Farmar and now will most likely cut him but still pay his salary.
The BAE could have gone to Shawn Marion for sure and likely someone like CJ Miles or DeMarre Carroll.
The team couldn't afford to waste the BAE.
Traded for his son. I actually don't hate this.
BUT, he traded Bullock for him and will probably cut and pay Farmar
That part I don't like.

That get's you up to date with Doc's moves. Talk about a downward spiral. I understand hindsight but this isn't the case. Other than the Collison and Hawes signings most people never gave Doc much credit for any of these moves.

Sean Moore
01-16-2015, 07:39 AM
Let's see how they do in the playoffs before we go throwing stones at Doc so soon. At least he is trying. More than I can say for what the Clips have done for most of their tenure in the NBA.

FlashBolt
01-16-2015, 11:10 AM
Let's see how they do in the playoffs before we go throwing stones at Doc so soon. At least he is trying. More than I can say for what the Clips have done for most of their tenure in the NBA.

He's trying because that's his job. Steve Balmer is a billionaire. He probably wouldn't tolerate his GM doing the opposite of what he's supposed to do.. especially since he was a CEO of one of the largest companies in the world.

Vinylman
01-16-2015, 11:18 AM
If that he's saying about wanting a tryout for the Clipps and being rejected by Doc so he can sign Udoh I have zero problem with Whiteside rubbing it in Doc's face after he killed the Clippers the other day. Can you tell I'm not happy with Doc Rivers?

go back to those other threads... I told all clipper fans they will want him gone by 2016... one of the most overrated coaches EVER...

and as far as a GM... SMFH

Vinylman
01-16-2015, 11:21 AM
Every move he's made has hurt.

Bledsoe/Butler for Reddick/Dudley, I could write an essay about how awful and foolish this trade was, I won't.
Matt Barnes is living up to his contract but it wasn't necessary to pay him that much.
Signed Darren Collison who left, could have easily locked up Collison with Barnes money.
Drafted duplicate old SG's in Reggie Bullock and CJ Wilcox, traded Bullock who clearly looks like the better of the 2.
Traded Jared Dudley who would easily be his 7th man and a crippling 1st round pick for nothing. The trade was made to clear cap space to fill the roster with scrubs CDR, Epke Udoh and old-timer Hedo Turkuglu.
Used the MLE on Spencer Hawes over Paul Pierce
Many others would have been better than Hawes for the MLE
The team couldn't afford to waste the MLE
Wasted the BAE on Jordan Farmar and now will most likely cut him but still pay his salary.
The BAE could have gone to Shawn Marion for sure and likely someone like CJ Miles or DeMarre Carroll.
The team couldn't afford to waste the BAE.
Traded for his son. I actually don't hate this.
BUT, he traded Bullock for him and will probably cut and pay Farmar
That part I don't like.

That get's you up to date with Doc's moves. Talk about a downward spiral. I understand hindsight but this isn't the case. Other than the Collison and Hawes signings most people never gave Doc much credit for any of these moves.

Just wait for the MASSIVE overpay for DJ ... then you will really know how dumb he is

YAALREADYKNO
01-16-2015, 11:30 AM
I hope he continues doing well not only cuz i'm a Heat fan, but also cuz his name is fun to say with an Asian accent.

I'm asian and i actually tried this hahaha

YAALREADYKNO
01-16-2015, 11:34 AM
too soon whiteside too soon with that being said, I remember there were alot of people saying doc rivers was the 2nd best coach behind pop LOL

FlashBolt
01-16-2015, 12:16 PM
too soon whiteside too soon with that being said, I remember there were alot of people saying doc rivers was the 2nd best coach behind pop LOL

I included. He has been exposed countless times. I think Carlisle is the second best coach. Dude is very intelligent.

YAALREADYKNO
01-16-2015, 12:21 PM
I included. He has been exposed countless times. I think Carlisle is the second best coach. Dude is very intelligent.

Carlisle is no doubt the 2nd best coach in the NBA. He's so underrated by everyone except for stephen a smith

Chronz
01-16-2015, 03:08 PM
go back to those other threads... I told all clipper fans they will want him gone by 2016... one of the most overrated coaches EVER...

?

We like him as a coach, we just want him to step down as a gm

billy17
01-16-2015, 04:26 PM
Vivek - "You fools cut Hassan Whiteside?! Ok, now you're fired!"

Cracka2HI!
01-16-2015, 10:16 PM

Just wait for the MASSIVE overpay for DJ ... then you will really know how dumb he is

While I'm completely frustrated with Doc I don't agree with either of these posts. He is a fine coach. Maybe he's not the 2nd best in the league but he is by far the best coach the Clippers have since maybe Larry Brown 25 or so years ago. DeAndre is worth what another team is willing to pay him. Unfortunately that makes him a near max to max player. The team can't afford to lose him and wouldn't have significant cap space to replace even if they let him go. I'm fine with the imminent overpay for DJ.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-16-2015, 10:31 PM
I remember when I wanted the Raptors to draft him. Lol.

Vinylman
01-17-2015, 11:55 AM
?

We like him as a coach, we just want him to step down as a gm

you might... but everyone will want him gone in the next couple of years... just wait

Vinylman
01-17-2015, 11:58 AM
While I'm completely frustrated with Doc I don't agree with either of these posts. He is a fine coach. Maybe he's not the 2nd best in the league but he is by far the best coach the Clippers have since maybe Larry Brown 25 or so years ago. DeAndre is worth what another team is willing to pay him. Unfortunately that makes him a near max to max player. The team can't afford to lose him and wouldn't have significant cap space to replace even if they let him go. I'm fine with the imminent overpay for DJ.

the best the clippers have had is relative...

as for DJ... if you do that you might as well just forget about competing... there is no value in overpaying him... it will doom the clippers to a 4-5 seed for the foreseeable future.

YAALREADYKNO
01-17-2015, 12:43 PM

Ouch!

JasonJohnHorn
01-17-2015, 03:27 PM
He's playing well according to the stats right now, but it is a small sample size on a team that has lost some games and has not other options at center if you concede that Chris Bosh is actually a power forward.

The Kings had DMC, and the Clippers have DaJ. It might not have hurt to give him a try out with LAC, but at 25, he's likely better than he was at 21 or 22. Some players take time to develop, so it might have been the right choices in Sac-town, and may have been the right choice with the Clippers. Sometimes people burn bridges with their attitude an approach.

It is nice to see that he's used this as motivation to improve though, rather than allow it to be self-destructive. Let's hope this guy develops more and gives the center position some much needed depth.

Cracka2HI!
01-17-2015, 06:01 PM
the best the clippers have had is relative...

as for DJ... if you do that you might as well just forget about competing... there is no value in overpaying him... it will doom the clippers to a 4-5 seed for the foreseeable future.

I'm not sure why you think that about DJ. He's actually very good. He deserves at least the same kind of contract as guys like Pekovic, JaValle McGee, Larry Sanders, ect. That puts him near the max. Do you have any substance to back up your claim, or is this just another baseless "you're going to suck because I say so" posts?

Goose17
01-18-2015, 02:28 PM
lol, kid has balls. I like it. Go get 'em!

Vinylman
01-18-2015, 02:54 PM
I'm not sure why you think that about DJ. He's actually very good. He deserves at least the same kind of contract as guys like Pekovic, JaValle McGee, Larry Sanders, ect. That puts him near the max. Do you have any substance to back up your claim, or is this just another baseless "you're going to suck because I say so" posts?

Those 3 guys are NOT making max deals... not even close... nor is DJ's max deal that low

DJ will be eligible for 5/ $103.5 million ... Is he worth that? Not a chance... will the clippers over pay... NO DOUBT... probably around 4/$70 or 5/$85

His production is EASILY replaced by someone like Asik who will go for around 8-10 per year this offseason. DJ's stat stuffing is a product of playing with CP3 and blake... nothing more nothing less

Cracka2HI!
01-18-2015, 03:48 PM
^ The Clippers will be capped out from here on out. They couldn't "EASILY" replace DJ with anyone. If they lose him they will replace him with Spencer Hawes. Is that an upgrade? If the Clippers lose DJ they are losing their only chance to lock up a solid starting Center. I'm not sure what he will get, but it's really a moot point because the Clippers won't have cap room again regardless and are stuck using exceptions to sign players from here on out.

Vinylman
01-19-2015, 01:22 PM
^ The Clippers will be capped out from here on out. They couldn't "EASILY" replace DJ with anyone. If they lose him they will replace him with Spencer Hawes. Is that an upgrade? If the Clippers lose DJ they are losing their only chance to lock up a solid starting Center. I'm not sure what he will get, but it's really a moot point because the Clippers won't have cap room again regardless and are stuck using exceptions to sign players from here on out.

that's why they should trade him this year for multiple pieces...

as for the cap... who knows where it will be in 3 years

Cracka2HI!
01-19-2015, 07:13 PM
^ I see your point but I disagree. Especially if Doc is the one trading him. If we had a real GM that was capable of making a move to improve the team I might be more inclined to agree. At this point I see the Clippers options with DJ as being overpaying him or letting him walk for nothing. I think the overpay is the less damaging of the 2.

I am somewhat confident that a real GM will be running this team shortly after these playoffs.

Vinylman
01-20-2015, 09:32 AM
^ I see your point but I disagree. Especially if Doc is the one trading him. If we had a real GM that was capable of making a move to improve the team I might be more inclined to agree. At this point I see the Clippers options with DJ as being overpaying him or letting him walk for nothing. I think the overpay is the less damaging of the 2.

I am somewhat confident that a real GM will be running this team shortly after these playoffs.

If I was a Clipper fan I guess I would wait and see what happens this year during the playoffs because there might not be anything available. However, if they don't advance past the second round this year they need to start thinking about some significant roster changes.

Unless the cap changes dramatically I just don't see how you can have a guy like DJ at something close to a max deal.

Sactown
01-20-2015, 04:41 PM
Dude ducked practices constantly in Sacramento and never put the work in.. constantly turned down extra time to work with the staff and cousins..

He wouldn't be who he is now if he wasn't cut and forced out of the league.. good for him but he should be grateful that these teams humbled him... Until now..