PDA

View Full Version : Why haven't the Cavs fired David Blatt yet?

lamzoka
01-14-2015, 08:40 PM
He's clearly not the right coach for them.

They're under .500 in mid-january.

He's saying all the wrong things. (K-Love is not a max player)

The players are not buying into whatever he's selling.

There are reports out there that the players are ignoring his play callings.

Some cavs players are telling their opponents, they're trying to get him fired.

They see players appearing to run different plays than the bench calls, see assistant coach Tyronn Lue calling timeouts literally behind Blatt's back during games and hear Cavs players openly talking about coaching issues with opposing players and personnel, not once, not twice, but frequently over the past several months. B. Windhorst

What the hell are they waiting for to fired this guy?

beasted86
01-14-2015, 08:54 PM
And who is the replacement?

You only fire a coach mid season when you think his replacement will improve the team, not just for the sake of change. None of his assistants seem to be that guy. I'd have no faith in Tyron Lue or Larry Drew to right the season if I was in upper management on the Cavs.

RateSports
01-14-2015, 09:22 PM
George Karl
Mark Jackson
Avery Johnson

Shall I go on?

Ariza's Better
01-14-2015, 09:54 PM
I like David Blatt as a coach and still think he can become a great coach in this league, I just think it's the wrong fit. Blatt would of been perfect for a young team that he could shape them into the players he wants. Plus Blatt's teams always start off slow and for a team trying to win a championship, a slow start always starts to make the players feel uneasy.

NYKnickFanatic
01-14-2015, 10:16 PM
I wonder who they would have hired if LeBron signed first. Definitely wouldn't be Blatt.

Ty22Mitchell
01-14-2015, 10:20 PM
I like David Blatt as a coach and still think he can become a great coach in this league, I just think it's the wrong fit. Blatt would of been perfect for a young team that he could shape them into the players he wants. Plus Blatt's teams always start off slow and for a team trying to win a championship, a slow start always starts to make the players feel uneasy.

Agree. The reality is he is a rookie NBA coach. It's true he has prior experience overseas, but there are still adjustments to be made. I don't know if I've ever seen another rookie NBA coach have championship or bust expectations in year one. Two of their superstars are new, there is several new players, and everyone has to learn a new system. I feel bad because there is too much pressure and too steep a learning curve for him to meet outsider expectations.

lamzoka
01-14-2015, 10:28 PM
Agree. The reality is he is a rookie NBA coach. It's true he has prior experience overseas, but there are still adjustments to be made. I don't know if I've ever seen another rookie NBA coach have championship or bust expectations in year one. Two of their superstars are new, there is several new players, and everyone has to learn a new system. I feel bad because there is too much pressure and too steep a learning curve for him to meet outsider expectations.

Plus he's getting zero support from his star players.

Enzo
01-14-2015, 11:31 PM
Lebron is running the whole show over there. IMO he's hurting the team. Play ball and do what you do. Let the coach and management do what they do best.

Jamiecballer
01-14-2015, 11:33 PM
I'm not sure. He's lost control of the team if he ever had it and under this level of scrutiny he's not getting it back.

LakersIn5
01-14-2015, 11:42 PM
Bring in mike d antoni

Rain City
01-14-2015, 11:42 PM
blatt was a bad fit from the beginning but i think any coach would struggle to come close to the expectations they carry with this talent. kyrie is selfish trying to have best PG stats, love is thinking his contract, none of these guys have ever played together, the scrutiny. phil is the only guy that could get this team to a championship in 2015.

im not going to act like I'm not surprised this team is under .500 tho. i thought even with blatt they had a fair shot at a title. would at least breeze to a top 2 EC seed and deep run and start winning titles next yr. very disappointed in kyrie and especially love. and lebron's leadership leaves quite a bit to be desired.

IKnowHoops
01-15-2015, 12:11 AM
As a big Lebron supporter, his treatment and lack of support for Blatt, in my eyes is by far the worst thing he has ever done. It irks me. He never gave Blatt 100% and so Blatt had no chance. I hope Blatt gets a second chance if this doesn't work out cause I really like the guy. I hope this works out though.

cmellofan15
01-15-2015, 12:15 AM
bring back Mike Brown!!

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-15-2015, 12:35 AM
bring back Mike Brown!!

lol he was fired two times already by Gilbert

Big Zo
01-15-2015, 02:45 AM
I thought he was supposed to be a genius that would "Coach circles around" Spoelstra?

JV35
01-15-2015, 02:51 AM
Not sure while he's still there.

But, they should fire him immediately (if not sooner).

Wade n Fade
01-15-2015, 03:20 AM
That awkward moment when Mr. Potato Head and Pringle Man are both better NBA Coaches than Blatt.

SteBO
01-15-2015, 10:42 AM
The Cavs FO know this already, but have already publicly supported Blatt. From what I've heard, the Cavs are standing pretty firm. Call it stubborn if you want, but at the end of the day Cavs' players (LBJ included) need to stfu & play the game. If this sabotage nonsense is true, then I'll have lost some respect for them....

I don't think Blatt is the right coach, but he at least deserves a chance.

beasted86
01-15-2015, 11:07 AM
George Karl
Mark Jackson
Avery Johnson

Shall I go on?
Who says any of these guys want to jump in mid season without a chance to really implement a system or hire their own assistants?

Vinylman
01-15-2015, 12:54 PM
This is all you need to know with what is going on in Cleveland

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cavs-need-lebron-james-to-show-leadership-he-promised-173753124.html

Lebron and Klutch are running things... this is the funniest part

He has his friends everywhere in the organization hired into staff jobs, riding on the team charters, meeting with management and ownership at will. Those things didn't happen in Miami with Micky Arison and Pat Riley

RiLoc
01-15-2015, 01:30 PM
Players do not have a good track record when they are given too much power. What made Miami well was basketball decisions were made by basketball professionals. The situation in Cleveland is LeBron has so much power that basketball problems are not addressed.

From early in the season it was clear that David Blatt's offense was completely abandoned. That wouldn't fly in Miami with Riley, Spoelstra and the organization. Whether Blatt's offense was a good fit or not as soon as that happened, I became concerned with the fate of the team.

I think the Cavs are sticking with Blatt because truthfully he's a good coach. Unfortunately, given the current situation in Cleveland, a successful coach in Cleveland will need a relationship with LeBron and ego management skills, more so than basketball coaching skills. I think a lot of great coaches would fail there.

And who is the replacement?
George Karl
Mark Jackson
Avery Johnson
Out of those three, the only one that would even have a chance is Mark Jackson. I can't stand Mark Jackson, ugh. I think the amount a coach would be able to implement is based on how much buy in and respect the coach gets from LeBron. Mark Jackson seems to have enough respect from LeBron. Perhaps Jackson could get LeBron to sign off on his defensive philosphy. Additionally, Jackson doesn't run an offense anyway so nothing to worry about there, the Cavs could stick to their favorite high pick'n'rolls and isolations all day long. A team that just played defense would be better than the Cavs right now.

Vinylman
01-15-2015, 01:44 PM
Players do not have a good track record when they are given too much power. What made Miami well was basketball decisions were made by basketball professionals. The situation in Cleveland is LeBron has so much power that basketball problems are not addressed.

From early in the season it was clear that David Blatt's offense was completely abandoned. That wouldn't fly in Miami with Riley, Spoelstra and the organization. Whether Blatt's offense was a good fit or not as soon as that happened, I became concerned with the fate of the team.

I think the Cavs are sticking with Blatt because truthfully he's a good coach. Unfortunately, given the current situation in Cleveland, a successful coach in Cleveland will need a relationship with LeBron and ego management skills, more so than basketball coaching skills. I think a lot of great coaches would fail there.

Out of those three, the only one that would even have a chance is Mark Jackson. I can't stand Mark Jackson, ugh. I think the amount a coach would be able to implement is based on how much buy in and respect the coach gets from LeBron. Mark Jackson seems to have enough respect from LeBron. Perhaps Jackson could get LeBron to sign off on his defensive philosphy. Additionally, Jackson doesn't run an offense anyway so nothing to worry about there, the Cavs could stick to their favorite high pick'n'rolls and isolations all day long. A team that just played defense would be better than the Cavs right now.

You do know that Mark Jackson and Lebron have the same dirtbag agent (Rich Paul)

The writing is on the wall... the question is how quickly the FO will cave...

should happen around the same time TT signs an overpriced extension

BearDown1223
01-15-2015, 01:54 PM
To much dead money to be firing a guy halfway into his first season.

beasted86
01-15-2015, 02:22 PM
To much dead money to be firing a guy halfway into his first season.
They will soon be paying 3 head coaches at the same time: Brown, Blatt, new guy

Big Zo
01-15-2015, 02:53 PM

Dan Gilbert is ok with it cuz he know's he's gonna win a title before the self-proclaimed "King."

Tony_Starks
01-15-2015, 03:08 PM
So its his fault right? Just like it was Spoelstras fault in Miami. Just like It was Mike Brown's fault.......

Vee-Rex
01-15-2015, 03:27 PM

We're probably still paying Mike Brown from his first stint in Cleveland. It's just pathetic. smh

RiLoc
01-15-2015, 03:44 PM
You do know that Mark Jackson and Lebron have the same dirtbag agent (Rich Paul)

The writing is on the wall... the question is how quickly the FO will cave...

should happen around the same time TT signs an overpriced extensionWord.

Ty22Mitchell
01-15-2015, 04:39 PM
Plus he's getting zero support from his star players.

Exactly. If the alpha dog isn't buying in, the rest of the pack sure as hell isn't.