PDA

View Full Version : NBA Attendance-Miami is still 5th post Lebron James.

TylerSL
01-14-2015, 03:23 PM
Top 5 NBA attendance for the 2014-2015 NBA Season

1. Chicago Bulls-21,918 fans/game
2. Cleveland Cavaliers-20,562 fans/game
3. Dallas Mavericks-20,077 fans/game
4. New York Knicks-19,812 fans/game
5. Miami Heat-19,710 fans/game

Many people expected the South Florida fans would stop showing up after Lebron James departed for Cleveland, but they have not. The Heat are currently ahead of the Toronto Raptors (6), Golden State Warriors (7), Portland Trail Blazers (8), San Antonio Spurs (11), Houston Rockets (14), Washington Wizards (15), Memphis Grizzlies (18), and Atlanta Hawks (24) in attendance and those teams are having far superior seasons to this point.

I understand that they may still be spilling into the arena at tip-off and they may leave late in the 3rd or early in the 4th if the game is not close, but the fact is the fans are showing up in relatively large numbers. As of right now the same thing cannot be said about the East-leading Atlanta Hawks or the defending NBA Champion Spurs who are not even in the top 10.

Note-The Oklahoma City Thunder are currently 13 in attendance but that is because they did not have Durant or Westbrook for the first month and a half of the season.

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance

Discuss

goingfor28
01-14-2015, 03:25 PM
How the F are the knicks that high?

NYKnickFanatic
01-14-2015, 03:27 PM

Because we are real fans...and dumb.

Goose17
01-14-2015, 03:29 PM

Tourists. I know a lot of people who know nothing about basketball but have been to see the knicks play while visiting new york. Madison Square Garden is a celebrity in its own right.

Corey
01-14-2015, 03:31 PM
For a non-Lebron Heat team, they're still selling tickets. There's times that the stadium looks a lot emptier than the numbers would imply, though.

Vinylman
01-14-2015, 03:35 PM
Top 5 NBA attendance for the 2014-2015 NBA Season

1. Chicago Bulls-21,918 fans/game
2. Cleveland Cavaliers-20,562 fans/game
3. Dallas Mavericks-20,077 fans/game
4. New York Knicks-19,812 fans/game
5. Miami Heat-19,710 fans/game

Many people expected the South Florida fans would stop showing up after Lebron James departed for Cleveland, but they have not. The Heat are currently ahead of the Toronto Raptors (6), Golden State Warriors (7), Portland Trail Blazers (8), San Antonio Spurs (11), Houston Rockets (14), Washington Wizards (15), Memphis Grizzlies (18), and Atlanta Hawks (24) in attendance and those teams are having far superior seasons to this point.

I understand that they may still be spilling into the arena at tip-off and they may leave late in the 3rd or early in the 4th if the game is not close, but the fact is the fans are showing up in relatively large numbers. As of right now the same thing cannot be said about the East-leading Atlanta Hawks or the defending NBA Champion Spurs who are not even in the top 10.

Note-The Oklahoma City Thunder are currently 13 in attendance but that is because they did not have Durant or Westbrook for the first month and a half of the season.

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance

Discuss

There is really no point in stopping at #5 since the top 12 teams are at 99.5% of capacity at home... there is no material difference between the Lakers and the Heat...

Where the Heat have dropped off is on the road... last year those games were at 99.3% and this year they are at 93%

The Heat were #1 in combined attendance as a % of capacity last year but are only 5th this year...

Maybe the drop off hasn't been as dramatic as some might have thought but that might also have to do with when season ticket holders had to commit this year... remember... these are paid attendance numbers which have nothing to do with how many people showed up

2-ONE-5
01-14-2015, 03:37 PM
For a non-Lebron Heat team, they're still selling tickets. There's times that the stadium looks a lot emptier than the numbers would imply, though.

yea i was thinking the same. Even if the Heat are 5th its not exactly teh same if the majority of fans come in half through the first and leave by the 4th

ManningToTyree
01-14-2015, 03:38 PM
How the F are the knicks that high? they are always that high.

Big Zo
01-14-2015, 03:39 PM
Can't wait to go to more games this year.

tredigs
01-14-2015, 03:44 PM
Still trying to shake off the National perception of the fanbase after leaving the Game 6 comeback early I see.

Fanbase perception is more about how consistently loud and into the game they are. And saying, "ahead of X team" has very little basis in reality anyway. Stadiums are different sizes, so raw attendance #'s don't mean much. Also, the fact that certain teams are over 100% capacity (Miami being one of them) leads me to believe that there must be a lot of old season tickets that are being left empty, and the teams are double-selling tickets at gametime fully expecting there to be plenty of open seats available. That could be wrong, but I'm just not sure how they're getting >100% attendance.

Slug3
01-14-2015, 03:47 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if people went in, see that Lebron is no longer with Miami and then just leave, lol. Some of our fans are idiots.

goingfor28
01-14-2015, 03:54 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if people went in, see that Lebron is no longer with Miami and then just leave, lol. Some of our fans are idiots.
Lol

slaker619
01-14-2015, 03:55 PM
Knick fans really ride or die I respect it, they really need to get good for the fans and stop with this business bs

sjbirds
01-14-2015, 04:05 PM
These numbers are wayyyy off because it's what the teams report. No way Philly is avg over 14,000

2-ONE-5
01-14-2015, 04:08 PM
i dont know if you are watching games it is def more crowded this year compared to last. the weekend games seem to be doing really well but i wouldnt really buy 14k maybe clsoer to 12k. Im going on Friday ill have to pay attention and see what they announce and how it looks

sjbirds
01-14-2015, 04:49 PM
i dont know if you are watching games it is def more crowded this year compared to last. the weekend games seem to be doing really well but i wouldnt really buy 14k maybe clsoer to 12k. Im going on Friday ill have to pay attention and see what they announce and how it looks
I was there last night and it was pretty empty..don't know why they don't move people to the lower bowl

B'sCeltsPatsSox
01-14-2015, 04:52 PM

My guess is that everyone renewed their season tickets and just decided not to go.

YAALREADYKNO
01-14-2015, 05:28 PM
im surprised the Lakers and staples center isnt up there

IBleedPurple
01-14-2015, 07:25 PM
Give it 2 years and check again. Florida has fair weather, and is notorious for fans of the same nature.

beasted86
01-14-2015, 07:41 PM
Because we are real fans...and dumb.

Maybe it's that there are 19.9 million people available looking for something to do, besides the hoards of tourists.

Somehow that's always forgotten when talking about who shows up for games. New York, LA, and Chicago SHOULD be the top teams in attendance. I know, I know... I'm a hater, right?

2-ONE-5
01-15-2015, 11:47 AM
I was there last night and it was pretty empty..don't know why they don't move people to the lower bowl

friend of mine was there too and he told me it wasnt empty, not pakced of course though.

72 Wins
01-15-2015, 11:56 AM
My guess is alot of the those seats are pre-sold (ie. season tickets).

Hardaway Here
01-15-2015, 01:44 PM
People were coming to games before LeBron oh and what do you know they are coming after LeBron. The attendance at Heat games has never really been an issue. It's just staying for the whole thing some can't do.

LAKobeBryant
01-15-2015, 03:32 PM
this thread should be about the knicks at #4 lol

LongIslandIcedZ
01-15-2015, 05:54 PM
New York is a basketball city first IMO. The city is a great place when the Knicks are good. If they ever made the finals New York would go bonkers.

I'm surprised with attendance this good Dolan still went out and got Phil. I would think low attendance would give Dolan the incentive to go out and make serious changes.

Slug3
01-15-2015, 05:58 PM
These numbers are wayyyy off because it's what the teams report. No way Philly is avg over 14,000

I am pretty sure a lot of businesses buy up a lot of these tickets throughout the year as well.

Confusious
01-16-2015, 12:20 AM
Some people don't care if a team are losers. A basketball game is an excuse to get out from the basement, put actual clothes on, and get drunk with mates. Hell, if your team is bad enough, you end up having fun watching how bad they can possible be. Or those odd moments when they troll the better teams. -shrug- Boredom goes a long way.

FlashBolt
01-16-2015, 11:16 AM
People were coming to games before LeBron oh and what do you know they are coming after LeBron. The attendance at Heat games has never really been an issue. It's just staying for the whole thing some can't do.

Oh c'mon.. let's face it... No one except diehard fans are interested in the Miami Heat.. I only tune in for their nationally televised games... which are going to be against LeBron. Other than that, a casual/other team fan wouldn't be able to watch them. I don't blame the fans for leaving games early, tbh. It's their money and I know some fans who just can't watch it despite being really loyal to their team. It's just the fact during the NBA Finals that they LEFT and tried to break through doors to get back in. They must've shitted themselves. That was one of the best Final's game. Emotion, clutch, it had everything.

Mr. Baller
01-16-2015, 12:13 PM
Still trying to shake off the National perception of the fanbase after leaving the Game 6 comeback early I see.

Fanbase perception is more about how consistently loud and into the game they are. And saying, "ahead of X team" has very little basis in reality anyway. Stadiums are different sizes, so raw attendance #'s don't mean much. Also, the fact that certain teams are over 100% capacity (Miami being one of them) leads me to believe that there must be a lot of old season tickets that are being left empty, and the teams are double-selling tickets at gametime fully expecting there to be plenty of open seats available. That could be wrong, but I'm just not sure how they're getting >100% attendance.

Its called standing room only

sixer04fan
01-17-2015, 03:59 AM
1) Even though Miami's play has declined, they still have Wade and Bosh. It's a star-driven league and those are two huge draws compared to the what the average NBA team has. Stars sell tickets even when the team isn't playing well.

2) Even though Lebron left, you would expect there to be residual loyalty from the fan base for a team that just made 4 straight NBA finals. Even the most fair-weather fan bases would still sell a ton of tickets if their team made the finals 4 straight seasons. I'm sure the majority of season ticket holders re-upped this year.

3) It seemed like Riley did a great job rallying the troops after Lebron made his decision to go back home. Bringing back Bosh, signing Deng. People were buying in that the Heat could still be a top 3 team in the East. While it hasn't panned out yet, it's not like you would expect a sudden massive drop off in ticket sales within the first 3-4 months of that not happening.

Sadds The Gr8
01-17-2015, 05:58 AM
It's because they still have the remnants of a championship team. When elite teams break up the attendance #s never slide down the next year. The #s will go down in a yr or 2 if they stay mediocre like they are now.

IndyRealist
01-17-2015, 07:10 AM
This is season ticket holders (read: ticket brokers and scalpers) who bought their tickets prior to Lebron deciding to leave in order to secure the best seats, and corporations leasing suites. I suspect the majority of their lower bowl is owned by brokers. Arenas report sold tickets, not actual attendance.

Assuming the team continues to struggle/not lead the East, you will see a significant drop off next year.

blahblahyoutoo
01-17-2015, 01:16 PM
raw number vs percentage.
if a stadium holds more, they can have higher raw nos.

and knicks sell tix because a lot of them are bought by corps and subsequently given away for clients.

effen5
01-18-2015, 10:50 AM
Bulls have been #1 for like the last 28 years lol

FlashBolt
01-18-2015, 02:56 PM
raw number vs percentage.
if a stadium holds more, they can have higher raw nos.

and knicks sell tix because a lot of them are bought by corps and subsequently given away for clients.

Not really. It's because NYK is in NYC. The mecca of the world, tbh. There are 12 million people who are always looking for things to do.

blahblahyoutoo
01-19-2015, 10:24 PM
Not really. It's because NYK is in NYC. The mecca of the world, tbh. There are 12 million people who are always looking for things to do.

there aren't 12 million people who can easily afford tickets to the games, esp the lower levels and suites.

Chrisclover
01-19-2015, 10:33 PM
Because they are used to going there. A four-year habit does not disappear overnight. Lets check out the attendance next season.

archdevil84
01-19-2015, 11:06 PM
i would have loved to go to every heat game where wade or lebron played for miami, too bad i live in europe :(

Young2Kinsler
01-19-2015, 11:30 PM
That's surprisingly impressive to me....but I wonder how much of that is from people who renewed season tickets before they knew LeBron was leaving? Next year will be the telling number.

FlashBolt
01-20-2015, 02:51 AM
there aren't 12 million people who can easily afford tickets to the games, esp the lower levels and suites.

No.. Lol. I lived in NYC for 20 years.. I can assure you that people just love coming to Knicks games win or lose.

Chrisclover
01-20-2015, 11:23 PM
i would have loved to go to every heat game where wade or lebron played for miami, too bad i live in europe :(
Wait a few more years and then the NBA will expand. A plan of establishing a European team is being discussed, according to rumors.

Chrisclover
01-20-2015, 11:24 PM
No.. Lol. I lived in NYC for 20 years.. I can assure you that people just love coming to Knicks games win or lose.
No wonder Dolan hasnt go bankrupt! He owns a gold mine. [emoji7]

SportsFanatic10
01-21-2015, 05:24 PM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/sfl-miami-heat-forbes-fans-s012115-story.html

here's an article on a study done by forbes listing the heat fans as the best fans in the league.

i don't know about that, but i know that there are many good and passionate heat fans. they just get a bad name from the rich lower level ticket holders who are just there to make appearances, and all the band wagoners that lebron brought with him. but there are plenty of quality hardcore heat fans no doubt.