PDA

View Full Version : What do you make of Doc trying to trade for his son?

Chronz
01-14-2015, 02:03 PM
I cant fathom why we would target this kid when we already have Farmar. And even if we wanted to make a change at the backup1, why are we going after such a bad player?

I cant believe Im saying this but Doc makes me miss Vinny Del Negro, if for nothing else but the fact that our GM wasn't ruining the team as a result.

jaydubb
01-14-2015, 02:04 PM
Only a father would want to trade for him.. :shrug:

goingfor28
01-14-2015, 02:06 PM
He's better than Farmar. Hopefully for the Clippers sake they get Nate Rob. He'd be a definite upgrade backing up CP

Rain City
01-14-2015, 03:13 PM
sounds like a bad idea for a team with championship aspirations to covet a young, struggling player, but farmer sucks and i think rivers is probably a slight upgrade. my biggest concern is that since Doc clearly wants to live out the dream of coaching his son he would over use him too. id be alarmed if i were a clips fan.

i was a big rivers fan coming out, he's been disappointing so far but i think he still has a nice skill set and could be a dynamic player. probably more in the mold of jamal crawford, rivers playing behind CP could expose a big flaw defensively and hurt his development. if anything id play him behind crawford, ride a lot of pine for a yr, learn from the vets and might be able to replace his role next yr.

Corey
01-14-2015, 03:24 PM
my biggest concern is that since Doc clearly wants to live out the dream of coaching his son he would over use him too. id be alarmed if i were a clips fan.

I dont think you really have any substance to backup your assertion that Doc would overplay him.

Vinny642
01-14-2015, 04:10 PM
Have him LAC, GOOOOD LUCK

lakerfan85
01-14-2015, 04:11 PM
Maybe Doc's lonely..

Rain City
01-14-2015, 04:32 PM
I dont think you really have any substance to backup your assertion that Doc would overplay him.

docs a great coach, maybe he wouldn't. but he is over pursuing him. favoritism seems to be at play.

D-Leethal
01-14-2015, 04:46 PM
Kinda pathetic.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
01-14-2015, 04:49 PM
I mean, if he's trading like a top 45 protected 2nd round pick or something for him I don't think it's a bad move. If I was a Clippers fan though, I'd be upset if he thinks this move would fix their problems at SG/SF.

Iron24th
01-14-2015, 04:49 PM
He wants to save his son's career, can't blame him.

Bruno
01-14-2015, 04:54 PM
Docs in over his head. He's a coach not a GM.

Cracka2HI!
01-14-2015, 05:46 PM
I think Doc is an awful GM but this example is being overblown. It sounds like he'll get to cut ties with Farmar to make this happen. Farmar is beyond awful, so even if Rivers just sucks he will be a decent upgrade. Also hoping the team picks up Nate. I'm torn on whether or not I want the team to move Jamal for a true SF like Wilson Chandler but if that is the plan than I think adding Rivers for Farmar makes a decent amount of sense.

Saddletramp
01-14-2015, 05:52 PM
Didn't Doc kind of suck as a coach until Ainge called in some favors and gifted him Allen, KG and (to a lesser extent) Rondo? And then when everyone got old there, he bolted because he didn't want to "rebuild"? The guy isn't Pops age, he's still young enough to rebuild and lead a new team, especially with all the assets Ainge has been acquiring.

And the Clippers were looking like the future in the West but if anything, they've become stagnant and the climb stopped right around the time Doc got there.

He'll get a few more years and if they don't at least make it to the Finals, I think he'll be done as one of the "best" coaches in the league. In my mind, he never really was.

YoungOne
01-14-2015, 05:59 PM
I read that people of the clippers staff tried to convince him to trade for his son...

RLundi
01-14-2015, 06:09 PM
Kinda pathetic.

This.

Green_Monster
01-14-2015, 06:10 PM
I read that people of the clippers staff tried to convince him to trade for his son...

That's correct. It's funny how some of these people think they know what's actually going on.

Yahoo Sources: Within front office and coaching staff, officials pushing president/coach Doc Rivers to bring his son, Austin, to Clippers.

Austin's 22, pending free agent. Clips searching for PG depth. Front office/ assistants telling Doc: Forget his last name. This makes sense.

-Wojnarowski

GCT
01-14-2015, 06:23 PM
I feel sorry for Austin Rivers in the locker room. :D

Jeffy25
01-14-2015, 06:35 PM
Farmar and Rivers are pretty close to the same caliber players. As long as it doesn't cost the Clippers much, than why not let him have his son?

Chronz
01-14-2015, 07:03 PM
I think Doc is an awful GM but this example is being overblown. It sounds like he'll get to cut ties with Farmar to make this happen. Farmar is beyond awful, so even if Rivers just sucks he will be a decent upgrade. Also hoping the team picks up Nate. I'm torn on whether or not I want the team to move Jamal for a true SF like Wilson Chandler but if that is the plan than I think adding Rivers for Farmar makes a decent amount of sense.

But Farmar has a track record of playing at a higher level than we've ever seen from the young prospect.

JEDean89
01-14-2015, 07:08 PM
People are so wrong on this thread for so many reasons. First of all, Austin Rivers has shown flashes in the NBA, though he is still along ways off from contributing. That said, he has the tools to be a good player and it was clear the moment that Jrue, Gordon and Reke were brought into NO that he wasn't really wanted there. Second, it's not like Doc is trying to pull strings to get him here. It would cost him nothing and I don't see how Austin isn't better than most teams 15th man. Third, Austing fills a need on the wing and could be a good fit if he improves his game. Sometimes players need second chances. Look at Goran Dragic, Kyle Lowry, Shaun Livingston. Sometimes these guys need a little more time to become difference makers than others. We'll see what happens for the Clipps it's low risk high reward. For Doc, it's a media nightmare waiting to happen. Do the math people.

Chronz
01-14-2015, 07:08 PM
Farmar and Rivers are pretty close to the same caliber players. As long as it doesn't cost the Clippers much, than why not let him have his son?

Based only on their level of play this year, yes, they are roughly equal caliber players, just different dynamic as contributors. It would be interesting to see just how much value a penetrating/attack guard has vs a superior shooter/spacer, given that neither is efficient offensively

Im so tired of waiting for Farmar to turn on the jets Im all for this trade, just wish it wasn't for a 2nd rounder.

JasonJohnHorn
01-14-2015, 07:12 PM
Maybe he thinks he knows how to use him best?

I wouldn't even be playing him if I had his rights. I'd waive him and would simply assume that nobody wanted him.

Cracka2HI!
01-14-2015, 08:30 PM
Based only on their level of play this year, yes, they are roughly equal caliber players, just different dynamic as contributors. It would be interesting to see just how much value a penetrating/attack guard has vs a superior shooter/spacer, given that neither is efficient offensively

Im so tired of waiting for Farmar to turn on the jets Im all for this trade, just wish it wasn't for a 2nd rounder.

From what I'm seeing from Farmar he isn't spacing the floor at all. He's too slow to penetrate this season. I don't think he's going to turn it around. I don't watch Austin play so I don't know for sure he will be an upgrade. I just honestly can't remember a Clipper rotation player as bad as Farmar in the last 5-10 years. For example I'd take last years Dudley over Farmar anyday. I could be wrong but even Rick Brunson back in the day was better than Farmar is now.

Chronz
01-14-2015, 09:04 PM
From what I'm seeing from Farmar he isn't spacing the floor at all. He's too slow to penetrate this season. I don't think he's going to turn it around. I don't watch Austin play so I don't know for sure he will be an upgrade. I just honestly can't remember a Clipper rotation player as bad as Farmar in the last 5-10 years. For example I'd take last years Dudley over Farmar anyday. I could be wrong but even Rick Brunson back in the day was better than Farmar is now.
By that same token, Rivers hasn't penetrated at an effective rate either. The point remains, thats what they bring to the team to some degree. If they were elite at their traits, they wouldn't be so unproductive.

Dudley is killing it this year but he was injured/out of shape last year. Dudley could handle heavier minutes so hes a better player, but the Rick Brunson reference really takes me back.

IgglesFanInCO
01-14-2015, 09:32 PM
He's better than Farmar. Hopefully for the Clippers sake they get Nate Rob. He'd be a definite upgrade backing up CP

Nate Rob has been beyond god awful this year. He hasnt even played half as well as Farmar this year (which is saying something). He has a case for least productive minutes in the NBA so far. Absolutely dreadful.

If he can go back to the Nate Rob of a couple years ago, maybe he could help them. I doubt he can do that.

Rain City
01-14-2015, 09:50 PM
POR could really use G depth. would be awesome to see rivers go there since they are a WC rival and have a decent shot at hooking up in playoffs. that'd be cool. but sounds like him to LAC is a done deal. will be interesting to follow.

Cracka2HI!
01-14-2015, 11:13 PM
By that same token, Rivers hasn't penetrated at an effective rate either. The point remains, thats what they bring to the team to some degree. If they were elite at their traits, they wouldn't be so unproductive.

Dudley is killing it this year but he was injured/out of shape last year. Dudley could handle heavier minutes so hes a better player, but the Rick Brunson reference really takes me back.

Man, how bad do you wish we still had Duds and that 2017 1st instead of CDR, Udoh and Turk? Any GM in the league would get fired for such a move. Unfortunately our GM would have to fire himself. I hope he does because he is trashing what's left of our best Championship opportunity. If he screws up again this trade deadline and fails again next FA it's all over. If it isn't already.

As for the Rivers/Farmar discussion. It's really a lose/lose but who costs you more on the court? All I know about Rivers is he does attack the basket. Even if he's as poor at attacking the rim as Farmar is shooting I think it would be a plus. The bench's biggest issue is they don't have anyone who can breakdown a defense and get to the rim. Outside of Jamal no one ever gets to the line.

The fact that Rivers can at least make it all the way to basket in a half court set is a big plus over Farmar IMO. Are there any stats that can measure a players ability to penetrate and attack the rim? I'd be interested in seeing something like that. Is there a stat for how many possessions a player kills by dribbling out the shot clock 30 feet from the hoop? If there is I'll bet Farmar is among the leaders per possession.

LakersIn5
01-14-2015, 11:41 PM
didn't doc kind of suck as a coach until ainge called in some favors and gifted him allen, kg and (to a lesser extent) rondo? And then when everyone got old there, he bolted because he didn't want to "rebuild"? The guy isn't pops age, he's still young enough to rebuild and lead a new team, especially with all the assets ainge has been acquiring.

And the clippers were looking like the future in the west but if anything, they've become stagnant and the climb stopped right around the time doc got there.

He'll get a few more years and if they don't at least make it to the finals, i think he'll be done as one of the "best" coaches in the league. In my mind, he never really was.

this

Chronz
01-15-2015, 06:40 AM
Man, how bad do you wish we still had Duds and that 2017 1st instead of CDR, Udoh and Turk? Any GM in the league would get fired for such a move. Unfortunately our GM would have to fire himself. I hope he does because he is trashing what's left of our best Championship opportunity. If he screws up again this trade deadline and fails again next FA it's all over. If it isn't already.
Agreed.

As for the Rivers/Farmar discussion. It's really a lose/lose but who costs you more on the court? All I know about Rivers is he does attack the basket. Even if he's as poor at attacking the rim as Farmar is shooting I think it would be a plus. The bench's biggest issue is they don't have anyone who can breakdown a defense and get to the rim. Outside of Jamal no one ever gets to the line.
Im thinking it varies team to team, but on this Clippers squad, I would agree with you.

The fact that Rivers can at least make it all the way to basket in a half court set is a big plus over Farmar IMO. Are there any stats that can measure a players ability to penetrate and attack the rim? I'd be interested in seeing something like that. Is there a stat for how many possessions a player kills by dribbling out the shot clock 30 feet from the hoop? If there is I'll bet Farmar is among the leaders per possession.
They measure how often players drive and dribble, yes. I think you undersell Farmars catch and shoot ability but yes, when he has the ball, he struggles to break down the defense. Rivers is far more of a ball stopper, the guy takes less catch and shoot shot attempts and his frequency of shot attempts after 3-7 dribbles is significantly higher than Farmars. But the biggest reason Rivers handles the ball so much more is because he actually can pierce a defense without the aid of a pick. Like you said, Farmar dances above the 3pt line hoping to create space for a J, Rivers gets to the lane about 3x more than Farmar.

kingsdelez24
01-15-2015, 06:48 AM
Maybe they'll get the nba 2k13 glitch known as Austin Rivers on their roster?

Tony_Starks
01-15-2015, 12:33 PM
The thing about Farmar is he's a pompous jerk. He's the guy that thinks he's waaaay better in his mind than he actually is in reality. It turned his teammates off in highschool, at UCLA, and at every team he's visited. So any backup pg you get is a upgrade.

PatsSoxKnicks
01-16-2015, 02:59 PM
But Farmar has a track record of playing at a higher level than we've ever seen from the young prospect.

Yup, a lot of people are forgetting this. Why not trust that Farmar bounces back eventually from basically a career worst year over trusting a prospect in Rivers whose been frankly downright terrible in his entire NBA career. Reggie Bullock would've made more sense for the Clippers honestly- at least he can do something (i.e. 38.5% 3 point shooter). Rivers just sucks at everything.

Chronz
01-16-2015, 03:10 PM
Yup, a lot of people are forgetting this. Why not trust that Farmar bounces back eventually from basically a career worst year over trusting a prospect in Rivers whose been frankly downright terrible in his entire NBA career. Reggie Bullock would've made more sense for the Clippers honestly- at least he can do something (i.e. 38.5% 3 point shooter). Rivers just sucks at everything.
Agreed. It's the same mistake we just made with Dudley. Dudes back to being a serviceable rotation guy

goingfor28
01-16-2015, 05:22 PM
Watch him drop 40 tonight

Chronz
01-16-2015, 10:27 PM
The thing about Farmar is he's a pompous jerk. He's the guy that thinks he's waaaay better in his mind than he actually is in reality. It turned his teammates off in highschool, at UCLA, and at every team he's visited. So any backup pg you get is a upgrade.

I didn't know that. I always thought he was humble from the few interactions we had while he was at ucla

HoodedSB
01-16-2015, 10:34 PM
Makes sense for everything but basketball reasons, which is why I would be livid if I was a clippers fan and this goes down.