PDA

View Full Version : Can Tayshuan Prince put anybody over the top?

JasonJohnHorn
01-14-2015, 09:38 AM
With reports stating that Tayshuan Prince is going to get bought out, and given defensive skill-set and championship experience, it seems clear that somebody is going to be interested in picking him up.

Where can he have the largest impact? LAC? NO? MIA? ATL? TOR? Teams like SAS and GSW might not need a small forward, but added depth is always good.

Thoughts?

Goose17
01-14-2015, 09:41 AM
Clippers NEED an SF. Badly. They should get him.

But since I hate them, I hope they don't.

mRc08
01-14-2015, 10:05 AM
Bulls need a wing defender. I haven't seen much of prince the past few years. Can he still play?

lakerfan85
01-14-2015, 10:14 AM
I don't know about putting a team over the top but he could still be a solid piece coming off the bench..

goingfor28
01-14-2015, 10:16 AM
I don't know about putting a team over the top but he could still be a solid piece coming off the bench..
Pretty much this

Chronz
01-14-2015, 11:34 AM
Iknow the Clips sorely need a wing, but Im not sure if Tay still qualifies as one.

Ron Pearlman
01-14-2015, 11:36 AM
Can Prince who hasn't been effective in years put a team over the top?

Probably not.

Corey
01-14-2015, 12:41 PM
He hasn't been the defensive force that people used to associate him with since like 2009.

Ron Pearlman
01-14-2015, 12:51 PM
He was never a defensive force. He had one block.

Chronz
01-14-2015, 12:55 PM
He was never a defensive force. He had one block.

He completely changed the series vs Orlando (his breakout party). And was a hound on AI and Kobe in other series.

Ron Pearlman
01-14-2015, 01:01 PM
Tmac tore our team up, if his roster wasn't completely inept they would have won easily. He has (had) an ability to slow premier players down but he was never this elite defensive wing that fans gave him credit for.

- Pistons fan who has seen 70% of his career games.

JWO35
01-14-2015, 01:01 PM
Taysahun was rapidly regressing on the Pistons...and that was like 3yrs ago. He could be a solid defender off the bench with a respectable shot I guess.

TheNumber37
01-14-2015, 01:17 PM
Knicks

Chronz
01-14-2015, 01:31 PM
Tmac tore our team up, if his roster wasn't completely inept they would have won easily. He has (had) an ability to slow premier players down but he was never this elite defensive wing that fans gave him credit for.

- Pistons fan who has seen 70% of his career games.
You could also argue that the Pistons would have won in 6 had they played Tayshaun from the beginning. I dont believe it, but it can be argued.

Tmac tore the team up in part because he was simply "rising over the top" (Carlisle's words) or blowing by the likes of Uncle Cliffy. I dont know of many wings that had his combination of length and mobility, he completely turned that series around. To be able to slow Tmac like that is a trait shared only by elite defenders IMO.

I made it a point to see alot of Pistons games. I won quite abit off them in the 2004 Finals. Really tho, its not so much about how often you see 1 team, but how often you see the rest of the league. At least when it comes to ranking/assessing talent.

D-Leethal
01-14-2015, 02:09 PM
He completely changed the series vs Orlando (his breakout party). And was a hound on AI and Kobe in other series.

I remember that Orlando series, IIRC that was his rookie year breakout party? Maybe year 2? I remember that being the main reason they passed on Melo unless I'm thinking of a different series.

I like him as Kawhi's backup in SAS.

Chronz
01-14-2015, 02:12 PM
I remember that Orlando series, IIRC that was his rookie year breakout party? Maybe year 2? I remember that being the main reason they passed on Melo unless I'm thinking of a different series.

I like him as Kawhi's backup in SAS.

They passed on Melo because of Tay's breakout in that 03 playoffs. I remember because Bron went to go watch T-Mac in one of those games before he entered the NBA. Tay became the starting SF after the Orlando series for the rest of his prime. And the rest is history.

Edit: NVM, just checked his logs. I guess he first became the full time starter during the Nets series.

CubsBullsBucs
01-14-2015, 02:13 PM
Bulls or Pistons

D-Leethal
01-14-2015, 02:15 PM
To me, he doesn't seem like more than an emergency 15 MPG player, DNP most nights type of dude anymore. How much did he play for the Grizz? Had to be doing something right there given the lack of talent they had on the wing.

DR_1
01-14-2015, 04:27 PM
I'd like to see the Bulls get him, I haven't seen him play in awhile though so I guess I'd need to do some research to really give an opinion

JasonJohnHorn
01-14-2015, 07:08 PM
Prince is not what he used to be, but he has been a key rotation player on one of the best teams in the league for the last two years, and after the Grizz traded Gay for him, they got better, so that says something.

As for his defense... I'm a Piston's fan, so I'm biased, but I've seen him take T-Mac out of his game, make Kobe Bryant far less efficient, had Wade shooting .440 in 05 when he shot over .500 the rest of the playoffs, and slowed down LBJ in 06, forcing him to shoot .440 on the series when he was also over .500 the rest of the playoffs, and then did the same the next year against James in the first game, holding him to 10 points on 5/15 shooting, and then to 19 points on 7/19 shooting before James finally managed to learn how to be effective against Prince (though he shot at a much lower percentage than he did in the regular season).

Prince has played VERY well against the league's very best scorers on the defensive end. There is no doubt about that. Who else can say they shut down T-Mac, LBJ and Kobe?

Does he still play at that level? No, but is is still a great fundamental basketball player with a great basketball IQ, especially on the defensive end, and he shoots well from behind the arc, he has no ego and plays into the team, and would be great for special assignments or changing line-up to accommodate match-up issues.

I think for a team like the Clippers, he could help them out a lot. He's exactly the kind of guy that would fit in with Doc, CP3 and Blake... doesn't need the ball, focuses on defense, and plays into the team. What more could you ask for? Other than that he be 24 instead of 34.

MrfadeawayJB
01-14-2015, 07:28 PM
Tayshaun is a good locker room guy, but wheels are falling off. Can still defend aging stars that are a step slow. Can grab rebounds, stay on assignment defensively, and is smart. Offensively he will move the ball, has a few post moves against smaller defenders, can occasionally hit a mid range shot and corner three (his hesitation to shoot kills me though). He's a good piece to have as a 7th or 8th guy on a contender

Chronz
01-14-2015, 07:43 PM
Prince is not what he used to be, but he has been a key rotation player on one of the best teams in the league for the last two years, and after the Grizz traded Gay for him, they got better, so that says something.

I think it says more about how Gay held Conley back. Much how he held Lowry back. Thats the problem with Gay, hes pretty much only at his best on mediocre teams that would take the next step if they found a competent PG.

But thats for another day. I would love to take a flier on Prince, Im the same guy who got excited over landing CDR ffs, but I hear we are signing Dauntey Jones to play that 3-d role. Still, how long has it been since Tayshaun made a difference in a playoff game/series?

*Silver&Black*
01-14-2015, 08:25 PM
Prince coming off the bench for the Hawks would be great. DMC, Thabo, and Prince defending the wings.

bleedprple&gold
01-14-2015, 08:30 PM
10 years ago yes, today not so much...

JasonJohnHorn
01-15-2015, 06:39 AM
I think it says more about how Gay held Conley back. Much how he held Lowry back. Thats the problem with Gay, hes pretty much only at his best on mediocre teams that would take the next step if they found a competent PG.

But thats for another day. I would love to take a flier on Prince, Im the same guy who got excited over landing CDR ffs, but I hear we are signing Dauntey Jones to play that 3-d role. Still, how long has it been since Tayshaun made a difference in a playoff game/series?

Well put... Gay may very well have been holding other guys back (though I don't get the impression it was ego, more like coaching choices).

As or making the difference in a playoff series, I don't expect that Prince would be able to do what he did against T-Mac, Kobe and LBJ today. But given that he wasn't in the playoffs for a few seasons, and that with Memphis he's only had two playoff runs, one of which ended in the first round, it is hard to say how much of an impact he might be. Against the Thunder in 2013, KD did shoot well below his season average for the series against Memphis, but I think that was in part to Gasol closing off the lane, and good team defense, but having Prince there helped. That was KD's .500/.400/.900 season, and KD shot .421/.357 that series. Obviously a big part of that was that Westy was out, so the team defense could focus on KD, and KD still made plays and rebounded well that series, but I think Prince, playing 22-26 minutes a game can still provide the kind of fundamental defense that makes players work harder and take tougher shots, which is pragmatically about 70% of the most important part of being a great defender. The rest is being able to be quick enough to make spectacular plays and compensate for your mistakes, but for a guy who knows how to cut off the passing lane to an iso play, and know how to stay in front of his guy, I think he'd be effective.

And he can hit 3's. So he spreads the floor on offense and isn't required to move a lot on that end, so he can save his energy on the defensive end of the floor.

But, yeah... he won't be what he was against LBJ,Kobe and T-Mac. His speed back then made him far more effective and allowed him to take more chances. Closing the gap between a good shooter that can drive so that he doesn't have an easy shot but still being fast enough to get back so they can just drive the lane and force the center to pick him up at the rim. That kind of speed isn't present in to many guys in their mid-30's.