PDA

View Full Version : 'LeBron shoulda endorsed Blatt'

Sanjay
01-10-2015, 08:15 PM
During the Cleveland Cavaliers game against the Golden State Warriors last night, Jeff van Gundy said LeBron James should have thrown his full support behind coach David Blatt when LeBron was asked about Blatt by the media. James sat on the fence basically said Blatt is the coach and that is that, neither endorsing him nor saying he wanted him out.

Personally, I agree with Jeff because this just fuels the idea of discontent between David Blatt and his players. What do you guys think? Also, what do you think happens with Blatt at the Cavs?

KnicksorBust
01-10-2015, 08:40 PM
Uhh not if he doesnt like him.

Jamiecballer
01-10-2015, 08:48 PM
During the Cleveland Cavaliers game against the Golden State Warriors last night, Jeff van Gundy said LeBron James should have thrown his full support behind coach David Blatt when LeBron was asked about Blatt by the media. James sat on the fence basically said Blatt is the coach and that is that, neither endorsing him nor saying he wanted him out.

Personally, I agree with Jeff because this just fuels the idea of discontent between David Blatt and his players. What do you guys think? Also, what do you think happens with Blatt at the Cavs?
Players should always support the coach publicly, end of story.

KnicksorBust
01-10-2015, 09:09 PM

Players should always support the coach publicly, end of story.

Give me one good example of a guy supporting a coach he didnt like that worked out.

InRoseWeTrust
01-10-2015, 09:31 PM
Give me one good example of a guy supporting a coach he didnt like that worked out.

My guess is what he's trying to say never publicly fail to support the coach, because it's just going to bring negative attention and harm the team. If you've got a legit problem with the coach, go to the powers that be and deal with it in house.

jerellh528
01-10-2015, 10:08 PM
This is reaching. It's not like he dissed him. He was neutral with his response basically

Raps18-19 Champ
01-10-2015, 10:22 PM
He shouldn't have to. It's no different than endorsing/not endorsing any teammate or FO person.

Though I would've done it just to get the media to shut up.

PurpleLynch
01-10-2015, 10:33 PM
Lebron just doesn't know how to talk to media. He probably needs to follow the example of Lynch and just handle all interviews like that.

Goose17
01-11-2015, 02:26 AM
Mark Jacksons response was pretty on point.

"People endorsed me and I'm sitting over here now"... or something to that effect.

cmellofan15
01-11-2015, 02:44 AM
just telling the truth should suffice. no need to go out and lie if you don't support, and if he doesn't support him I think he showed it in a respectful manner.

hugepatsfan
01-11-2015, 03:20 AM
Lying through your teeth and saying you love the guy more than your wife is the best thing to do if the goal is to win games. It's best for the team if whether or not players are committed to the coach isn't a media talking point they have to answer questions about, and unequivocal public endorsement from the star player is the best thing for that. Behind closed doors, Lebron should say whatever he feels needs to be said. But publicly, I don't see any argument that it isn't in the best interests of the team that Lebron give a glowing endorsement.

ManningToTyree
01-11-2015, 12:15 PM
Since when does lebron say the right thing?

I think he enjoys the drama.

KnicksorBust
01-11-2015, 02:04 PM
Lying through your teeth and saying you love the guy more than your wife is the best thing to do if the goal is to win games. It's best for the team if whether or not players are committed to the coach isn't a media talking point they have to answer questions about, and unequivocal public endorsement from the star player is the best thing for that. Behind closed doors, Lebron should say whatever he feels needs to be said. But publicly, I don't see any argument that it isn't in the best interests of the team that Lebron give a glowing endorsement.

Give me an example of the time a player didnt like the coach, lied to the media publicly saying he loved him. And it worked out.

krazylegz
01-11-2015, 02:27 PM
if athletes and coaches werent such puss boys this wouldnt be an issue

JasonJohnHorn
01-11-2015, 03:59 PM

Not if he's doing a bad job. If he is doing a bad job, the best thing to do is get a guy that will do a good job in as soon as possible.

Pretending to like somebody you don't and then pushing to get him fired will make you look two-faced.

Pretending to like somebody who is doing a bad job and not saying anything else will keep that guy doing a bad job around longer.

Saying something to the effect of "He's our coach and I'm going to give him whatever I got to help the team win" or something to that effect, is a sufficient answer if you don't think the guy is doing a good job. You don't rip him publicly, causing him to lose support, and you make it clear that you are going to play hard, making it clear to other players that they need to keep up their effort regardless.

FlashBolt
01-11-2015, 04:00 PM
How is this an issue? If LeBron wanted Blatt out, he would be out.. True story. IDK the situation with Mark Jackson but considering how close LeBron is with Jackson, that wouldn't be a farfetched idea. The thing with Blatt is he seems to be scared of these NBA players. Heck, I think there were rumors that Lue had more control than Blatt.

Sanjay
01-11-2015, 06:28 PM
He shouldn't have to. It's no different than endorsing/not endorsing any teammate or FO person.

Though I would've done it just to get the media to shut up.

I agree, but are you saying people in basketball organizations shouldn't have to support the other people in the organization?

Sanjay
01-11-2015, 06:34 PM
Mark Jacksons response was pretty on point.

"People endorsed me and I'm sitting over here now"... or something to that effect.

Great point, I forgot about that. I was surprised when Mark Jackson was fired, although there were rumors of him showing favoritism towards some players (i.e. Curry), I think he's great and he did an amazing job turning the Warriors around. Surely he was not let go because they lost in the first round of the playoffs?

Sanjay
01-11-2015, 06:46 PM
Give me an example of the time a player didnt like the coach, lied to the media publicly saying he loved him. And it worked out.

I don't think it is necessarily about working it out. If LeBron really does not like Blatt, I'm sure the Cavs will get rid of him. Maybe the front office has told him to give Blatt a bit more time or wait until their entire roster is active (obviously the season is almost already halfway through, but a new coach would have a team which looked quite different than what Blatt had when he was signed). Until then James should publicly support Blatt so when/if he is replaced, it will look like the front office's decision and not LeBron's. Of course everybody will assume LeBron had something to do with it, but those opinions will have no substance.

mngopher35
01-11-2015, 07:00 PM
I mean isn't that what Dwight did in Orlando before leaving and everyone blasted him for it?

Lebron said he's happy/fine with the coach right? I really don't see the issue other than media creating stories as usual (since its their job). If he gives a glowing review and in private questions him within a week it will come out and everyone calls him fake.

Goose17
01-11-2015, 07:11 PM
Great point, I forgot about that. I was surprised when Mark Jackson was fired, although there were rumors of him showing favoritism towards some players (i.e. Curry), I think he's great and he did an amazing job turning the Warriors around. Surely he was not let go because they lost in the first round of the playoffs?

He was let go because he had no people skills whatsoever, was unwilling to collaborate with a lot of his assistants, relied heavily on isolation basketball and did not get on with management at all.

A lot of the players supported him though. Bogut didn't like him much.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-11-2015, 08:20 PM
I agree, but are you saying people in basketball organizations shouldn't have to support the other people in the organization?

What if he really doesn't think Blatt is the right coach? Should he support him? It's like supporting terrible coaches like D'Antoni or Mike Brown the whole time.

It's a douche move but he probably prefers to be a douche and speak honestly than not be a douche but falsely endorse him.

Jamiecballer
01-11-2015, 08:30 PM
People in the same organization should support each other publicly, it's no different than any other organization. It's always "we" until there is no "we" anymore.