PDA

View Full Version : Boston and Philadelphia have together 28 draft picks.

PurpleLynch
01-10-2015, 08:02 AM
Boston: 13(now 14 with the trade of Jeff Green);nine first rounders and five second rounders.
Picks outgoing:4(all second rounders).

Philly:14;two first rounders and 12 second rounders.
Picks outgoing:3(one first rounder and two second rounders).

No team has more picks than these two EC franchises.

Who is in the better position,considering also the current condition and the potential of their respective team?

Goose17
01-10-2015, 08:24 AM
Nine first rounders? They're either trading up or putting a package together for someone big.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-10-2015, 08:55 AM
How many drafts combined? Cause Bucks had 9 second rounder's in 4 drafts as well as all our own first rounder's as well as Clippers first. But we already used 3 second rounder's in last draft as well as gave Nets own second back as well as another second for the Kidd trade. So that was 14 picks as well.

PurpleLynch
01-10-2015, 09:05 AM
How many drafts combined? Cause Bucks had 9 second rounder's in 4 drafts as well as all our own first rounder's as well as Clippers first. But we already used 3 second rounder's in last draft as well as gave Nets own second back as well as another second for the Kidd trade. So that was 14 picks as well.

Boston: draft picks from 2015 to 2018
Philadelphia: draft picks from 2015 to 2020

Bucks now have two second rounders in 2016 and a first rounder from La Clippers in 2017. In this thread I'm talking about current future picks acquired and still not drafted.

Source: http://basketball.******.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-10-2015, 09:16 AM
What's the protections of them Nets picks Celtic holding? Nets currently hold 7th seed playoffs.

Celticsfan2007
01-10-2015, 10:08 AM
What's the protections of them Nets picks Celtic holding? Nets currently hold 7th seed playoffs.

All of the nets picks are unprotected, So i'll be rooting for them to be a lotto team in 2016 and 2018.

2-ONE-5
01-10-2015, 11:46 AM
Sixers have 2 first rounders. We have Miamis pick this year top 10 protected.

More-Than-Most
01-10-2015, 12:03 PM

which is looking better and better every second

Jamiecballer
01-10-2015, 12:29 PM
NBA: where giving up happens.

smith&wesson
01-10-2015, 01:18 PM
titanic division ... the struggle is real.

likemystylez
01-10-2015, 02:02 PM
oh, if its not all in the same year- then who cares?- be like saying Bulls have 40 first round picks in the next 43 yrs

hugepatsfan
01-10-2015, 02:26 PM
If Kevin Love is open to leaving CLE then I think BOS could have a one year turnaround. With all the picks they have I think could convince someone to take on the expiring contracts of Gerald Wallace and Evan Turner (in separate deals most likely - similar to what GS did to get cap space for Iggy a few years ago). If they do that, they have the cap space to offer Kevin Love a max deal, Reggie Jackson an offer sheet OKC couldn't match and Timofey Mozgov or Kosta Koufos a $10+ mil/year contract. Then they package either Jared Sullinger or Kelly Olynyk with their pick to move up as high as they can and get the best SF available in the draft.

Marcus Smart/Reggie Jackson/Phil Pressey
Avery Bradley/James Young
??? from draft/Jae Crowder
Kevin Love/Jared Sullinger (or Kelly Olynyk)
Kosta Koufos (or Timofey Mozgov)/Tyler Zeller

I think the Reggie Jackson and Mozgov/Koufos signings are both very realistic. Kevin Love is probably a stretch but he did seem open to coming to BOS this offseason. It's a huge sports city and I can see Love wanting to be "the man" of his own team rather than Lebron's sidekick. Plus playing in BOS he gets the added perk of being Gronk's wingman.

KnicksorBust
01-10-2015, 03:45 PM
Boston: 13(now 14 with the trade of Jeff Green);nine first rounders and five second rounders.
Picks outgoing:4(all second rounders).

Philly:14;one first rounder and 13 second rounders.
Picks outgoing:3(one first rounder and two second rounders).

No team has more picks than these two EC franchises.

Who is in the better position,considering also the current condition and the potential of their respective team?

Honestly 13 second rounders roughly translates to about 2 first rounders tops. Celtics stash is impressive.

lboogie2746
01-10-2015, 03:50 PM
If Kevin Love is open to leaving CLE then I think BOS could have a one year turnaround. With all the picks they have I think could convince someone to take on the expiring contracts of Gerald Wallace and Evan Turner (in separate deals most likely - similar to what GS did to get cap space for Iggy a few years ago). If they do that, they have the cap space to offer Kevin Love a max deal, Reggie Jackson an offer sheet OKC couldn't match and Timofey Mozgov or Kosta Koufos a $10+ mil/year contract. Then they package either Jared Sullinger or Kelly Olynyk with their pick to move up as high as they can and get the best SF available in the draft.

I think the Reggie Jackson and Mozgov/Koufos signings are both very realistic. Kevin Love is probably a stretch but he did seem open to coming to BOS this offseason. It's a huge sports city and I can see Love wanting to be "the man" of his own team rather than Lebron's sidekick. Plus playing in BOS he gets the added perk of being Gronk's wingman.
That's when Rondo was there, I doubt Love would want to come play for BOS considering he would have no real chance on wining for another 3 years it seems.

2-ONE-5
01-10-2015, 05:17 PM

that looks like a 6-8 seed to me

SeoulBeatz
01-10-2015, 05:24 PM

Worst division of all time.

Ty Fast
01-10-2015, 06:04 PM
Boston has all those picks and they are only a game out of the playoffs!!

Hawkeye15
01-10-2015, 06:28 PM
Celtics picks could be something great, but even then, depending so much on the unknown, while knowing you essentially are going to either need to use them to draft guaranteed contracts for youth, or as chips, depends on what the end result of are those picks are.

The value of draft picks has become a very overrated thing imo.

Jamiecballer
01-10-2015, 07:39 PM
Celtics picks could be something great, but even then, depending so much on the unknown, while knowing you essentially are going to either need to use them to draft guaranteed contracts for youth, or as chips, depends on what the end result of are those picks are.

If they use them to draft 9 guys in the first round its a wasted effort IMO. There is just no way to do this other than sit around and wait for the next disgruntled superstar. That has to be the plan doesn't it?

Goose17
01-10-2015, 08:06 PM

I think you mean Titaknick division.

PurpleLynch
01-10-2015, 09:54 PM

Sorry for the mistake,thanks!

PurpleLynch
01-10-2015, 09:57 PM
oh, if its not all in the same year- then who cares?- be like saying Bulls have 40 first round picks in the next 43 yrs

Well,the years considered are from 2015 to 2020. So a small and interesting sample. Plus the Celtics have four first rounders in 2016.

PurpleLynch
01-10-2015, 10:20 PM

I partially agree with you. They are a bit overrated,but they still have a huge value in the Nba's market. Plus a lot of teams need it.
This could be a tinfoil hat theory of mine,but I think Ainge wants to lure big names to form a young Green Big Three 2.0 after this season is over. They have a good trading block and a crazy amount of picks.Plus some good young potential(Olynyk,Smart,Sullinger,Zeller,Bradley).

STRIKERC
01-10-2015, 10:22 PM
Unless they package a few to get a bonafide star i don't see how it helps to have all those first round picks. And i believe a bunch of those first round picks are outside the lottery. At some point, provided your building blocks are in place, i think it's better to own a bunch of second rounders than own low first rounders. There's more flexibility with those non guaranteed picks.

SF8
01-11-2015, 04:32 AM
Most of those 1st rd picks are heavily protected and will turn into 2nd rounders so its really out of context here.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-11-2015, 07:36 AM
Bucks had 4 pick last draft. Its not all glamorous. Drafted Inglis injured. Parker high pick gets injured early. Traded a second to the Hawks. So all we got to watch for a rookie class is Johnny O'Bryant.

Hawkeye15
01-11-2015, 01:29 PM
If they use them to draft 9 guys in the first round its a wasted effort IMO. There is just no way to do this other than sit around and wait for the next disgruntled superstar. That has to be the plan doesn't it?

you for sure can't just use them to draft a ton of players. That won't work.

Hawkeye15
01-11-2015, 01:31 PM
I partially agree with you. They are a bit overrated,but they still have a huge value in the Nba's market. Plus a lot of teams need it.
This could be a tinfoil hat theory of mine,but I think Ainge wants to lure big names to form a young Green Big Three 2.0 after this season is over. They have a good trading block and a crazy amount of picks.Plus some good young potential(Olynyk,Smart,Sullinger,Zeller,Bradley).

they are overrated in the regard, that most GM's don't know what to do with them anyways. People look at all those picks, and say, "oh man, what a future", while not realizing a vast majority of the time, nothing comes from having a lot of picks.

I just meant, sure, good job Boston. Now what the hell are you going to do with all of them to get better?

hugepatsfan
01-11-2015, 01:33 PM
Yeah just getting a lot of picks isn't enough but at this point it's as far along as they could be. They've been rebuilding for a season and a half now and didn't have a pick to land a franchise player in that span. They're in as good a position right now as I think they could possibly be this far into a rebuild so I give Danny Ainge a lot of credit for that.

KnicksorBust
01-11-2015, 01:59 PM

Exactly. I also think they reach their peak value on draft night when players start to slide in the draft.

Those 13 second rounders will be lucky to net 1 starter and 1 rotation player.

sixer04fan
01-12-2015, 01:28 AM
Most of those 1st rd picks are heavily protected and will turn into 2nd rounders so its really out of context here.

Most? Such as?

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-12-2015, 12:07 PM
2015 Owed first-rounder (top-12 protected in 2015 and 2016, else converts to 2016 and 2017 second-rounders) from Minnesota Timberwolves (Robin Lopez, Wesley Johnson, Brandan Wright).
2015 Owed first-rounder (top-14 protected, otherwise becomes 2015 and 2016 second-rounders) from Philadelphia 76ers (Arnett Moultrie, Joel Anthony).
2015 Owed first-rounder from Los Angeles Clippers (Doc Rivers).
2015 Owed first-rounder (if in four to 14 range for 2015, otherwise top-seven protected through 2020) from Dallas Mavericks (Rajon Rondo).
2015 Owed second-rounder (top-49 protected) from Washington Wizards (Kris Humphries).
2015 Owe second-rounder (top-55 protected) to Cleveland Cavaliers (Tyler Zeller).
2016 Owed first-rounder from Brooklyn Nets (Kevin Garnett).
2016 Owed first-rounder (top-10 protected through 2018, unprotected in 2019) from Cleveland Cavaliers (Tyler Zeller).
2016 Owed second-rounder from Miami HEAT (Joel Anthony).
2016 Owed second-rounder from Cleveland Cavaliers (Keith Bogans).
2016 Owed second-rounder from Dallas Mavericks (Rajon Rondo). Pick could be from Memphis Grizzlies, better pick between Dallas and Memphis goes to Boston.
2016 Owe second-rounder to Memphis Grizzlies (Jerryd Bayless). Pick could go to Utah Jazz (Jarnell Stokes).
2017 Right to swap first-rounders with the Brooklyn Nets (Kevin Garnett)
2017 Owed second-rounder from Cleveland Cavaliers (Keith Bogans).
2017 Owe second-rounder to Brooklyn Nets (Kevin Garnett), if in 46-60 range and Boston swaps its first-rounder swapped with Brooklyn.
2018 Owed first-rounder from Brooklyn Nets (Kevin Garnett).

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/boston-celtics-team-salary/

Most these picks are late first or late seconds. Your only hope is Nets crash and burn very soon.

KnicksorBust
01-12-2015, 12:20 PM

Most these picks are late first or late seconds. Your only hope is Nets crash and burn very soon.

Honestly it's not nearly as impressive as it sounds. The overwhelming majority of great first round picks come from within the top 6 and you are not getting that from the Clippers or Mavericks and all those other picks are protected. If this was football? Sure then they'd look like a genius... but in basketball they will be lucky to find a few starters with those picks. More likely they end up packaging them for a player on a bad deal or that a team wants to get rid of and is that really the type of player you want to build around? We will see. I hope they prove me wrong and just gamble on high upside players with EVERY PICK. It makes me think of the year I wanted the Knicks to draft DeAndre Jordan because his raw size/athleticism was just insane and he fell way to far in the draft. Players like that shouldn't see the 2nd round and maybe the Celtics will just scoop all of them up in the next 3 years. :laugh:

Corey
01-12-2015, 12:22 PM

The nets will be mediocre. Mid firsts are valuable. Especially considering what we gave them.

The minny second rounders will be near top of the round, still valuable for rotation players.

Late first rounders can be used to trade up or trade for established players since Boston struggles in free agency historically.

The Cavs pick is looking okay for next year with thoughts of Love/Lebron getting the **** out of Cleveland.

The 2018 Brooklyn pick will be valuable. Unprotected.

We'll see. The draft, aside from the top few picks, is a crapshoot. With the amount of first and second rounders Boston has, you can bank on at least a starter and a few depth pieces on the low end.

Oh, and Boston has room for two max contracts heading forward if any talent pans out. Worst case scenario: All the picks turn into depth / rotation players and Boston signs two max guys and we have a deep team. Ainge knows what he's doing.

dhopisthename
01-12-2015, 12:25 PM

I agree that picks are becoming overrated. the success rate of a pick that isn't in the top 5 is below 50% that he ever even becomes a starter and you can't just pile up picks hoping that one of them sticks because you don't have enough playing time to develop a ton of picks. I think the only value picks really have is that they are trade assets, but most times they don't ever turn into anything.

Corey
01-12-2015, 12:29 PM
Boston isnt just acquiring picks. They're paving the way to let players in their first few years compete and play the games and get invaluable experience while clearing a butt ton of cap space and acquiring more young players and picks.

Hawkeye15
01-12-2015, 12:39 PM
Boston isnt just acquiring picks. They're paving the way to let players in their first few years compete and play the games and get invaluable experience while clearing a butt ton of cap space and acquiring more young players and picks.

right, but the plan is still totally dependent on the eventual outcome. Those players need to be the right players chosen, and develop. A lot needs to go right for them to work out. Just the way it is.

Corey
01-12-2015, 12:46 PM
right, but the plan is still totally dependent on the eventual outcome. Those players need to be the right players chosen, and develop. A lot needs to go right for them to work out. Just the way it is.

Well no ****, but the same can be said for any team. OKC had to get lucky with Westbrook, Durant and Harden. Houston had to get lucky and sign Dwight and hope Harden turned into a star. San Antonio had to get lucky with Duncan in the draft. Cleveland had to get lucky with Lebron deciding to return. Chicago had to get lucky with Pau. Golden State got lucky with Steph's ankles, developing Klay, acquiring Bogut and Lee. The old Celtics got lucky with Ray Allen luring KG to Boston.

Everything has to fall into place with every team. Why is that even a talking point with Boston? It's a sports league. That goes without saying, and it's hardly a detriment considering how well they're placing themselves as a rebuilding team.

Hawkeye15
01-12-2015, 12:50 PM
Well no ****, but the same can be said for any team. OKC had to get lucky with Westbrook, Durant and Harden. Houston had to get lucky and sign Dwight and hope Harden turned into a star. San Antonio had to get lucky with Duncan in the draft. Cleveland had to get lucky with Lebron deciding to return. Chicago had to get lucky with Pau. Golden State got lucky with Steph's ankles, developing Klay, acquiring Bogut and Lee. The old Celtics got lucky with Ray Allen luring KG to Boston.

Everything has to fall into place with every team. Why is that even a talking point with Boston? It's a sports league. That goes without saying, and it's hardly a detriment considering how well they're placing themselves as a rebuilding team.

I only mean, the law of averages, says building that way doesn't work a lot more than it works. So just saying, "Boston has a ton of picks", really doesn't mean much to me.

Corey
01-12-2015, 12:57 PM
I only mean, the law of averages, says building that way doesn't work a lot more than it works. So just saying, "Boston has a ton of picks", really doesn't mean much to me.

That's valid, but picks isn't the only thing Boston has. What more could you want from a rebuilding team? They're giving a ton of minutes to young, developing players, they have a wealth of picks moving forward, and they have max cap room for two players heading forward.

I dont expect them to use the players they have for the long haul. I expect Ainge to keep a few pieces, draft as well as possible, and wait to jump on a free agent and trade possibilities. Teams around the league are always looking to deal productive players for picks and youth because teams are stuck in mediocrity. Look at Boston's acquisition of KG and Allen.

That's the route Ainge is going, unless he gets lucky with a #1 pick in the next two years, then we're looking at a longer process in all likelihood.

Available cap space, tradable young players, picks. They aren't putting their eggs in one basket.

Hawkeye15
01-12-2015, 01:09 PM
That's valid, but picks isn't the only thing Boston has. What more could you want from a rebuilding team? They're giving a ton of minutes to young, developing players, they have a wealth of picks moving forward, and they have max cap room for two players heading forward.

I dont expect them to use the players they have for the long haul. I expect Ainge to keep a few pieces, draft as well as possible, and wait to jump on a free agent and trade possibilities. Teams around the league are always looking to deal productive players for picks and youth because teams are stuck in mediocrity. Look at Boston's acquisition of KG and Allen.

That's the route Ainge is going, unless he gets lucky with a #1 pick in the next two years, then we're looking at a longer process in all likelihood.

Available cap space, tradable young players, picks. They aren't putting their eggs in one basket.

Oh, I know that. I was addressing the thread only (the picks). For what they desire, they have put themselves in the best possible position to get better. Now we will see what happens..

PurpleLynch
01-12-2015, 02:49 PM

The number of things you can do with those Celtic's picks will probably lead to something of good.

Anyway,in my original post I wrote also this "Who is in the better position,considering also the current condition and the potential of their respective team?"

I know picks have a limited power,but the big number can help a lot a team in rebuilding.

Aust
01-12-2015, 04:11 PM
This is the greatest thing ever. I won't be satisfied until both teams have an entire draft's worth of picks bwahahaha

hugepatsfan
01-12-2015, 10:22 PM

You're forgetting the most important part - their own first round picks which stand to be valuable because they traded all their "good but not good enough to rebuild around" talent that will be past its prime by the time there is someone to build around.

MTar786
01-12-2015, 11:32 PM
well 9 picks whether over rated or not equals a ton more value than 1 pick.
boston is in good position. with that value they could not only have a much better pick.. but add that to trade assets that could be used to get superstars

nycericanguy
01-12-2015, 11:43 PM
27 of the picks are courtesy of Billy King...

2-ONE-5
01-13-2015, 10:09 AM

sooooo Boston is tanking, correct?

Corey
01-13-2015, 11:53 AM
sooooo Boston is tanking, correct?

No one would dispute that. But they're definitely more than just tanking. They're doing it in a way where the young talent gets big minutes and big situations, so when they mature down the line they already have all of that under their belt.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-13-2015, 12:26 PM
well 9 picks whether over rated or not equals a ton more value than 1 pick.
boston is in good position. with that value they could not only have a much better pick.. but add that to trade assets that could be used to get superstars

Good position to move up a spot here and there in a draft. But still gonna have to move up or trade or sell picks. Already like 4 picks next draft besides 11 guys under contract unless waived or a 2 for 1 trade to open up spots. Besides a lot of capsace be interesting what Celtics do. Can only have 15 players. Figure when most teams have three second rounder's for example. They very seldom keep all three. Usually move up or sell a pick. Or draft foreign players that are under contract with foreign team and just farm them.

D-Leethal
01-13-2015, 12:31 PM
Honestly it's not nearly as impressive as it sounds. The overwhelming majority of great first round picks come from within the top 6 and you are not getting that from the Clippers or Mavericks and all those other picks are protected. If this was football? Sure then they'd look like a genius... but in basketball they will be lucky to find a few starters with those picks. More likely they end up packaging them for a player on a bad deal or that a team wants to get rid of and is that really the type of player you want to build around? We will see. I hope they prove me wrong and just gamble on high upside players with EVERY PICK. It makes me think of the year I wanted the Knicks to draft DeAndre Jordan because his raw size/athleticism was just insane and he fell way to far in the draft. Players like that shouldn't see the 2nd round and maybe the Celtics will just scoop all of them up in the next 3 years. :laugh:

I think its more than just who you will draft with the picks - gives them the flexibility for trades and to move up on draft night if there is a stud within reach.

2-ONE-5
01-13-2015, 01:08 PM
No one would dispute that. But they're definitely more than just tanking. They're doing it in a way where the young talent gets big minutes and big situations, so when they mature down the line they already have all of that under their belt.

this is exactly word for word what the Sixers have been doing since last year and the correct term is rebuilding. Just wanted to point it out since there seems to be no backlash to the obvious "tank" jobs going on in NY and BOS

Burkey3472
01-13-2015, 01:46 PM
this is exactly word for word what the Sixers have been doing since last year and the correct term is rebuilding. Just wanted to point it out since there seems to be no backlash to the obvious "tank" jobs going on in NY and BOS

Its funny, a lot of people were trashing them for just playing young kids for experience and not adding vet players to at least compete on a nightly basis. Now both the Knicks and C's are doing the same thing. :laugh:

Ron Pearlman
01-13-2015, 02:41 PM
Boston is allowing their team full of youth and potential to grow together.

Phili has effectively assembled a D-league team full of players who probably won't be in the league next year.

From an outsider perspective, that is where the differences start between Phil and Boston.

Chronz
01-13-2015, 02:58 PM
One rebuilding aspect that Philly is doing that i agree with, is that they are building their team structure with a defense first mentality. They're losing because their offense is hilariously bad. Offense is more important in terms of talent imo, but if you're a rebuilding team, instilling a defensive mindset is far more important. So that when you do get that offensive talent( via trade/draft), the majority of the supporting pieces are already accustomed to impacting the game without the ball.

Notable examples of this approach include the 2k Pistons and Nuggets.
Before they drafted Melo, the Nuggets had an injury depleted team, but one that defended with intensity. They added a few pieces and some injured players returned to form while drafting Melo. They returned to the playoffs instantly and only a few of us saw it coming (made a cool 60 bucks on that bet). I now feel the Nuggets cashed their chips too soon (sorta how i feel about the Pelicans right now) but they eventually became a Finals contender.

Chronz
01-13-2015, 03:00 PM

Phili has effectively assembled a D-league team full of players who probably won't be in the league next year.

From an outsider perspective, that is where the differences start between Phil and Boston.
Full of potential? Which ones?

That Philli is developing just a few key players is great imo, replacement level guys are the easiest to acquire.

2-ONE-5
01-13-2015, 04:03 PM

lol no. Philly has more promising young talent than Boston has.

Burkey3472
01-13-2015, 04:15 PM

Embiid, MCW, Noel, McDaniels, Saric are all players that are going to have a pretty solid impact in a few years. Guys like Wroten, Covington, Sims, etc have shown they are capable of playing in this league. They have some players that aren't worthy of a roster spot but all bad teams also have players that aren't capable of being NBA players.....that's why they are bad.

2-ONE-5
01-13-2015, 04:50 PM
the thing about the Sixers and our lesser talent like Sampson and Grant (who was a 2nd round pk) is they get a chance to play and actually develop their game and it has paid off for both so far. Sampson is slowly but surely showing he belongs in the league even if its a 10th man and i wanted to cut him earlier in the season

ruckus16969
01-13-2015, 09:05 PM
Anyone who is saying that the picks Boston and Philli have are overrated are From NY an jealous

KnicksorBust
01-13-2015, 11:06 PM
Anyone who is saying that the picks Boston and Philli have are overrated are From NY an jealous

How many all stars do you expect will be drafted with those 28 picks?