PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Surprise in the East?

Giannis94
01-09-2015, 11:24 AM
Hawks: Being the #1 team in the East when many thought they would be hovering near the .500 mark

Bulls: Emergence of Mirotic, Butler and Rose making them a legitimate title contender

Raptors: Everyone expected them to be good, but not this good.

Cavs: Lack of early success with Lebron including losses to: New York Knicks, Utah, Detroit, Milwaukee, and Philly.

Bucks: Matching 2013 win total in December and almost a lock for the playoffs. Loss of the #2 overall pick to an acl injury, and an overpaid interior post defender. New ownership, and head coach. Surprisingly a "deep" team while lacking any consistent scoring threats.

NYK: Self Explanatory

Charlotte: Lofty expectations have met mediocrity.

Vampirate
01-09-2015, 11:26 AM
Hawks: Being the #1 team in the East when many thought they would be hovering near the .500 mark

Bulls: Emergence of Mirotic, Butler and Rose making them a legitimate title contender

Raptors: Everyone expected them to be good, but not this good.

Cavs: Lack of early success with Lebron including losses to: New York Knicks, Utah, Detroit, Milwaukee, and Philly.

Bucks: Matching 2013 win total in December and almost a lock for the playoffs. Loss of the #2 overall pick to an acl injury, and an overpaid interior post defender. New ownership, and head coach. Surprisingly a "deep" team while lacking any consistent scoring threats.

NYK: Self Explanatory

Charlotte: Lofty expectations have met mediocrity.

if Detroit can keep it up and make the playoffs it might be them.

jaydubb
01-09-2015, 11:29 AM
I expected the Cavs to struggle before the season started..

The Hawks are a big uprise for me tho for sure..

Also HUGE surprise is the Pistons.. After the smith trade they have been one of the hottest teams in the NBA.. Wow..

DarkKnight
01-09-2015, 11:37 AM
Knicks are on fire :p

KnickNyKnick
01-09-2015, 11:45 AM
Knicks are winning the race for the best future? :confused: www.tankathon.com

Ty Fast
01-09-2015, 11:55 AM
cavs and hawks

nycericanguy
01-09-2015, 11:55 AM
ATL & NY easily.

ATL just looked so average early in the year, Knicks played them in ATL and were up 20 on them, and then played them close again. I can't believe they are a top the east right now.

But how good would the Hawks be if they kept Joe Johnson? I know people trash BK and everyone praises picks like crazy but JJ has actually been very solid for them, and I'm not sure ATL has anything to show for that trade yet except more money in their owners pockets? Though they could get a lottery pick from BK this year... but you can argue that ATL would have been better off keeping him.

Pierzynski4Prez
01-09-2015, 11:56 AM
Even though I don't expect them to finish #1 in the conference, ATL has got to be the biggest surprise.

Charlotte and NY being this bad are surprising, but not as much as ATL being 27-8 through 35 games in my opinion.

valade16
01-09-2015, 11:58 AM
It's the Bucks IMO.

People could envision scenarios where Chicago became a contender again, Hawks getting healthy (finally) and being a quality team, Cavs struggling in year 1, Knicks deciding to blow it up and the Hornets having problems with Lance Stephenson, but nobody could have envisioned the Bucks being a winning team with Kidd as the HC and Parker out for the season.

Giannis94
01-09-2015, 11:58 AM
ATL & NY easily.

ATL just looked so average early in the year, Knicks played them in ATL and were up 20 on them, and then played them close again. I can't believe they are a top the east right now.

But how good would the Hawks be if they kept Joe Johnson? I know people trash BK and everyone praises picks like crazy but JJ has actually been very solid for them, and I'm not sure ATL has anything to show for that trade yet except more money in their owners pockets? Though they could get a lottery pick from BK this year... but you can argue that ATL would have been better off keeping him.

So you expected the Bucks to be over .500?

nycericanguy
01-09-2015, 12:02 PM
So you expected the Bucks to be over .500?

i thought they had a chance to be around .500 and get an 8th seed... that greek kid can play, so can Knight.

they're playing a bit better than expected but ATL is playing wayyyy better than expected and NY way worse.

it's not like MIL is 10 games over .500 or anything, they're basically a .500 team so far.

ATL is on pace to win 63 games...

NY is on pace to win 10!

those are pretty shocking, much more than MIL being .500

valade16
01-09-2015, 12:15 PM
i thought they had a chance to be around .500 and get an 8th seed... that greek kid can play, so can Knight.

they're playing a bit better than expected but ATL is playing wayyyy better than expected and NY way worse.

it's not like MIL is 10 games over .500 or anything, they're basically a .500 team so far.

ATL is on pace to win 63 games...

NY is on pace to win 10!

those are pretty shocking, much more than MIL being .500

Are they really? Many people correctly guessed if NY didn't have anything they would tank for a good pick and really, everyone knew the team had problems and would be trash without Melo.

This isn't that surprising to me. Heck, even Atlanta being one of the better teams in the East isn't that surprising. Everyone said they would be better than last season because of all their injuries.

Jamiecballer
01-09-2015, 12:20 PM
The only scenarios i have been surprised by is the success of the Bucks, and how good the Hawks are. The others to me aren't really very surprising.

People thought the Knicks would be poop, it's only surprising in how easily they have given up.

Max.This
01-09-2015, 12:25 PM
The only scenarios i have been surprised by is the success of the Bucks, and how good the Hawks are. The others to me aren't really very surprising.

People thought the Knicks would be poop, it's only surprising in how easily they have given up.

Not too surprising considering their summer league lineup played the most minutes on a nationally televised game.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-09-2015, 12:33 PM
It's the Bucks IMO.

People could envision scenarios where Chicago became a contender again, Hawks getting healthy (finally) and being a quality team, Cavs struggling in year 1, Knicks deciding to blow it up and the Hornets having problems with Lance Stephenson, but nobody could have envisioned the Bucks being a winning team with Kidd as the HC and Parker out for the season.

Parker and Ersan out for a while as well as Sanders. Next season Bucks will go all in for sure. Healthy Parker Sanders back for real. Healthy Ersan. Another pick in late teens. Hammond great drafting late. #15 Giannis, #19 Tobias Harris, #14 Henson still up in the air and Sanders at #15.

bucketss
01-09-2015, 12:59 PM
detroit was a surprise to me because they're so stacked but sucked so bad early in the season. their current run isn't surprising really, i mean look at that roster.. monroe,drummond,jennings, augustine off the bench.

Crackadalic
01-09-2015, 01:20 PM
Hawks. I didn't think they be this good

JV35
01-09-2015, 01:22 PM
Pistons.

PurpleLynch
01-09-2015, 01:31 PM
Voted Hawks. They are just a very well builded team,also coaching is great. Hope they will do well in the playoffs.
Bonus spot: Detroit. If they can keep this pace,they are just a wild team.

2-ONE-5
01-09-2015, 01:34 PM
No one saw this coming from the Hawks but coach Bud has them playing as good as ever. I thought Lance was gonna big a big boost to the Hornets but they got off to a rocky start and now a bunch of injuries happening seems to be a long season.

Everyone outside of NY expected the Knicks to be pretty bad, maybe not THIS bad but still and the Bucks biggest issue was health last year and thhats the case as much tihs year despite Parker going down but they seem to be much healthier compared to last season

torocan
01-09-2015, 01:48 PM
Bucks - I put them as a 25-30 win team. Under Kidd they're playing well above their expected level.

Knicks - I figured they'd be bad (30-35 wins) due to roster turnover and a new system, I didn't think they would be THIS bad.

Toronto - I figured they'd be racing for a top 4 seed but they're playing a few games better than expected. I put them as a 50-53 win team (3-5 game improvement just due to continuity).

Detroit - I actually expected them to have a better record with SVG at the helm at this point of the season, but it seems that it took some roster rebooting to get them closer to something operation (bye bye Josh Smith). I put them at around .500 for the season prior to the season. Shockingly, it looks like they just might make it to 37-40 wins if they keep up at this pace. If they show any consistency we could be looking at Detroit as a legit play off team in the east (40-45 wins next year).

Chicago - Not remotely shocking. Their performance was always going to be 100% contingent on Rose's health.

Atlanta - I wasn't surprised by the Hawks at all. I put a lot of stock in top tier coaching pedigree and Budenholzer spent 17 seasons under Popovich. I was assuming they would continue to improve well beyond their performance last year. 38 wins last year but without Horford for 54 out of 82 games. With a healthy Horford I was adding about 5 wins (43ish), another 3-5 wins for continuity for (46-49 wins), then another 3-5 wins for playing a 2nd full year under Budenholzer (49-54 wins). Right now they're on track for 56 wins but they're playing exceptionally well. I expect them to regress to the mean a bit a end up around the 52 win mark for the season.

Cleveland - I actually thought they wouldn't be good out of the gate due to a new coach in Blatt and a heavily retooled roster (Lebron and Love as well as the Lebron posse joining). I thought they would finish fairly strong but their ability to get far in the play offs would depend heavily on whether Love and Kyrie actually started playing defense. I didn't peg them as championship contenders this year simply due to Love, Kyrie, Blatt and most of the younger players on the roster having zero play off experience.

BHF
01-09-2015, 02:07 PM
I expected the Knicks to be bad but not this bad.

The Darkhorse
01-09-2015, 05:28 PM
Atlanta and Milwaukee for sure. Were the Bucks really that bad last year? Great turnaround.

mngopher35
01-09-2015, 05:33 PM
It is definitely Atlanta for me. Even earlier in the year I was still questioning if they could really keep it up. They look to be a legit team instead of a lower seed first round out like I thought.

I thought Charlotte would be more of a 500 team as well and in the playoffs.

JordansBulls
01-09-2015, 05:47 PM
Cavs, Hawks, Knicks

THE MTL
01-09-2015, 05:58 PM
It has to be the Knicks by far. No one expected them to be this BAD. Even other fan bases have guessed we have around triple the wins (~35wins). We are currently on pace for like 10 wins.

Jamiecballer
01-09-2015, 06:22 PM
It has to be the Knicks by far. No one expected them to be this BAD. Even other fan bases have guessed we have around triple the wins (~35wins). We are currently on pace for like 10 wins.
But everyone thought they'd be rather bad and bad teams give up in the NBA. Its the new thing.

Tmath
01-09-2015, 06:47 PM
ATL & NY easily.

Pretty much everyone besides Knick fans knew the Knicks would suck.

RLundi
01-09-2015, 07:01 PM
if Detroit can keep it up and make the playoffs it might be them.

Agreed.

CELTICS4LYFE
01-09-2015, 09:18 PM
ATL and TOR....no one expected them to be leading the east

Tony_Starks
01-09-2015, 09:49 PM
No way I would've believed Parker goes down and the Bucks are still competitive. Jason Kidd is Coach of the year to me...

Sanjay
01-10-2015, 07:14 PM
No way I would've believed Parker goes down and the Bucks are still competitive. Jason Kidd is Coach of the year to me...

Did not think they would have been this competitive even with Jabari! But, surely Budenholzer is the top candidate, best record in the Eastern Conference and tied for the second best record in the entire league (even though they are in the East they have won against the Pelicans, at the Rockets, at the Mavericks, against the Clippers twice including once in Los Angeles, at the Trail Blazers and against the Grizzlies). All this with basically only a young point guard, a shooter and two big men and coming off a 38-44 season last year.