PDA

View Full Version : is Kevin Durant not that popular with the casual fans?

LakersIn5
01-08-2015, 07:25 PM
It surprises me than the 3rd release of the all star votes just came out and durant is 5th in west front court votes. I know durant was injured to start the season but throughout the years players injured or maybe less undeserving than off the others have been voted in just by popularity alone.

Iverson during his denver years have been voted as west starter getting it over cp3 who was having mvp seasons. AI got it due to popularity.

And just recently past superstars who have declined such as kobe, wade, kg, tmac, shaq have made the starters due to reputation

Hell last year kobe still got voted in eventhough he just played 6 games.

So is durant not "that" popular as the past superstars?

Ezio
01-08-2015, 07:54 PM
I think he has a bad marketing team imo.

Htownballa1622
01-08-2015, 09:31 PM
What irks me about him is he first wanted to be mr. Do right.

Then when ppl still were talking about lebron,he wanted to be "the baddest."

Despite him winning mvp he still feels slighted to be mentioned behind bron and potentially being overtaken by brow before he even gets his shot.

Personally I feel he's a dbag but I would welcome him with welcome arms here in 2016.

Oh back on track.... he's been hurt and ppl tend to forget about him. I know sounds silly but he's so good but very quiet.

FraziersKnicks
01-08-2015, 09:58 PM
He doesn't have that LeBron/Shaq/Kobe personality... He comes across as quite a boring kind of guy.

Amazing basketball player but not massively likeable or dislikable for that matter (they kinda go hand in hand).

Jamiecballer
01-08-2015, 10:14 PM
damn even his thread isn't popular it seems

jerellh528
01-08-2015, 10:38 PM
nowitzski and duncan-esque

LA_Raiders
01-08-2015, 10:41 PM
Yeah, he need to go to The lakers to fix that.

jerellh528
01-08-2015, 10:51 PM
Yeah, he need to go to The lakers to fix that.

That would alleviate the problem instantly. Let's hope he feels slighted by this and yearns for more recognition and popularity as the king of basketball's biggest and best market.

bucketss
01-08-2015, 11:12 PM
That would alleviate the problem instantly. Let's hope he feels slighted by this and yearns for more recognition and popularity as the king of basketball's biggest and best market.

wouldn't that make him an attention seeker.

jerellh528
01-08-2015, 11:50 PM
wouldn't that make him an attention seeker.

if he is in your eyes, then yes.

FlashBolt
01-09-2015, 12:14 AM
I have no words for the all star voting. That is a travesty.. And don't say anything about marketing etc because Marc Gasol is a fricking starter and KD isn't.

Young2Kinsler
01-09-2015, 12:36 AM
nowitzski and duncan-esque

This. Exactly.

izmb
01-09-2015, 12:47 AM
kevin durant is a good ball player but i feel his personality is much more boring compared to a player like lebron james or kobe bryant

Chavacano
01-09-2015, 01:09 AM
He's not polarizing.

tredigs
01-09-2015, 01:34 AM
He was #1 in West voting last season and just behind Lebron overall. The casual fans clearly know and respect him, but he does not have a large/homer fanbase like the Lakers which will carry him to as many undeserving AS votes during an injury plagued season.

slaker619
01-09-2015, 01:54 AM
He's a quiet baller like Joe Johnson(Don't Sleep)

PowerHouse
01-09-2015, 02:12 AM
Like previously mentioned, it doesnt help his visibility being in a small market. I hope he is greedy for more popularity so he can go to the Lakers.

Sadds The Gr8
01-09-2015, 03:00 AM
He was #1 in West voting last season and just behind Lebron overall. The casual fans clearly know and respect him, but he does not have a large/homer fanbase like the Lakers which will carry him to as many undeserving AS votes during an injury plagued season.
This. He's the first superstar in awhile that doesn't have stans at all. Just respected by a lot of ppl.

goingfor28
01-09-2015, 03:07 AM
As great a player as he is, he's boring imo. Anytime okc is on I turn it on to watch Russ. His crazy athleticism is fun to watch

MetroMan
01-09-2015, 03:30 AM
1- Team is not appealing.

2- City is not appealing (Im sure its great though)

3- Not very vocal

4- Plays a quiet game

5- Doesn't have "the look"

Crackadalic
01-09-2015, 03:35 AM
His a boring guy. His game is exciting though

PurpleLynch
01-09-2015, 08:37 AM
Well,he's on a small market and he's a quiet player,his attitude reminds me of a slightly grit version of Duncan:both talks rarely,both are very well respected among the bball community and both are great players(Timmy a bball legend actually).
If he leaves Okc for a bigger market his number of fans will grow exponentially for sure.

Hawkeye15
01-09-2015, 10:28 AM
no sex appeal

b@llhog24
01-09-2015, 01:39 PM
no sex appeal

This exactly.

ManningToTyree
01-09-2015, 03:13 PM
He's not polarizing. this. There is no debate over him so he is discussed less as a player. He doesn't have a polarizing personality either. Very stoic like Duncan

Vampirate
01-09-2015, 03:36 PM
this. There is no debate over him so he is discussed less as a player. He doesn't have a polarizing personality either. Very stoic like Duncan

And he's one of those players like Duncan you'd think you're dreaming if he landed on your team.

Munkeysuit
01-09-2015, 04:01 PM
I think its the exact opposite! I feel as if KD connects more to the casual fan as opposed to how a true fan of the game perceives him. I feel as if his character is so easily marketable to todays casual fan, which includes a a huge portion of youths from Asia and Europe, a total different perspective from what real true basketball fans see KD as, a player with tons of talents but a soft character and persona.

MDD
01-11-2015, 11:55 PM
He's not so flashy, being hurt out the public eye and being in a small market does not help!?

HoopsDrive
01-12-2015, 03:47 AM
He's your average dude who happens to be ridiculously gifted in something... he just doesn't have the charisma.

He's known in basketball circles but among casuals he's not that well known. It's actually quite impressive we got to see LeBron and Durant in the same era, those 2 are as day and night as it gets. Two completely opposite personalities and public profiles but extremely talented players nonetheless.

Goose17
01-12-2015, 04:03 AM
As great a player as he is, he's boring imo. Anytime okc is on I turn it on to watch Russ. His crazy athleticism is fun to watch

You can't be serious? You tune in to watch the worse basketball player out of the two?

Sneaky
01-12-2015, 04:41 AM
Personality of a cardboard box. Would love to have him on my team though :P

goingfor28
01-12-2015, 08:04 AM
You can't be serious? You tune in to watch the worse basketball player out of the two?
Yes. He's 1000x more exciting to watch.

Goose17
01-12-2015, 09:10 AM
Yes. He's 1000x more exciting to watch.

I don't get it. Exciting how?

Each to their own I guess.

goingfor28
01-12-2015, 10:05 AM
I don't get it. Exciting how?

Each to their own I guess.
His style of play and unreal athleticism is entertaining. KD is of course the better player, but I enjoy watching Russ play more. Like you said, to each their own

2-ONE-5
01-12-2015, 11:48 AM
i grew to like KD more over the years bcuz he is quiet off the court and not some d-bag craving attention or getting into trouble, etc. He is the silet assasin and the best player in the league simlar to how it was for Duncan

KnicksorBust
01-12-2015, 11:58 AM
It's funny because I coach high school basketball and it seems like the players are way more into Steph Curry these days than Durant or LeBron.

Avenged
01-12-2015, 12:02 PM
Mr humble isn't so humble anymore. I'm not a fan of his due to lakers and okc playoff "battles". But put him in LA or any major market and he'll be leading in votes.

YAALREADYKNO
01-12-2015, 12:56 PM
What irks me about him is he first wanted to be mr. Do right.

Then when ppl still were talking about lebron,he wanted to be "the baddest."

Despite him winning mvp he still feels slighted to be mentioned behind bron and potentially being overtaken by brow before he even gets his shot.

Personally I feel he's a dbag but I would welcome him with welcome arms here in 2016.

Oh back on track.... he's been hurt and ppl tend to forget about him. I know sounds silly but he's so good but very quiet.

lmao why do you think hes a Dbag?

YAALREADYKNO
01-12-2015, 12:58 PM
if durant had westbrooks personality he'd be sorta like kobe in a way and that would help him with his "popularity" with the fans.

Corey
01-12-2015, 12:59 PM
I like him because of how he is. He's always tried to stay out of the bright lights, he doesn't care about being the most popular player. He conducts himself well, stays close to his family, doesn't get in any trouble, wicked generous with his money and community service, and he's still 26. He's going to be doing this for another decade at least.

I love him.

LOOTERX9
01-12-2015, 01:57 PM
Meh i think he is popular with casuals. Playing in west his games come on late in the east and he is not a polarizing guy off court so that brings his shine down a bit . But to me he is more fun to watch than lebron anyday. I'm kinda surprised at his all star votes though. He will triple in popularity once free agency hits and he hints at leaving okc though.

Vampirate
01-12-2015, 02:07 PM
I like him because of how he is. He's always tried to stay out of the bright lights, he doesn't care about being the most popular player. He conducts himself well, stays close to his family, doesn't get in any trouble, wicked generous with his money and community service, and he's still 26. He's going to be doing this for another decade at least.

I love him.

Arguably longer than that because of his size and shooting, he'll probably age like Dirk has imo.

0nekhmer
01-12-2015, 02:18 PM
Its cause he's really reserved, quiet so there's no drama with him. Like a tim Duncan, a hall of famer, one of the best but talked about minimally

Htownballa1622
01-12-2015, 02:47 PM
lmao why do you think hes a Dbag?

He just gives me that vibe. I don't like guys that act tough or snarl but really aren't about anything.

When he was going at Bosh a few years ago, it actually turned my opinion of Durant. He's just fake to me.