PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Pistons to the Playoffs? Amazing or Pathetic?

Nikeman
01-08-2015, 02:35 AM
They started the season 5-23, in the Western Conference that would be a lost season no matter how you end up finishing. 7 game win streak later, they are 12-23, and only 3 games out of making the playoffs as an 8th seed in the east, and 4 games back of the 7th seed. Hell the 5th seed is only 6 games ahead of them.

Amazing turn around, but this is borderline pathetic. The East is such a joke. The 27-8 Hawks, and 24-10 Raptors would struggle to make the playoffs in the West. The easiest games for the Western conference teams come against the East. GS is 11-0, Portland is 15-2, Dallas is 16-4 etc etc.

goingfor28
01-08-2015, 02:35 AM
Detroit will make the playoffs

SilverFalco8
01-08-2015, 02:38 AM
Yes i agree. Josh Smith who???? Too Soon?

JV35
01-08-2015, 02:40 AM
Detroit will make the playoffs

Of course. And if they get in (as a #7 or #8) they have a great chance of pulling a first round upset and making a deep run.

It goes without saying at this point.

AMAZING? YES. Pathetic? Not even close.

goingfor28
01-08-2015, 02:41 AM
I think the bigger story is that the Bucks have just about the same record as the Cavs haha

SilverFalco8
01-08-2015, 02:41 AM
Of course. And if they get in (as a #7 or &8) they have a great chance of pulling a first round upset and making a deep run.

It goes without saying at this point.

AMAZING? YES. Pathetic? Not even close.

They can make it deep, outside of Toronto Cleveland and Chicago the east is real weak.

Nikeman
01-08-2015, 02:50 AM
The way the Pistons are playing right now, and with that roster, I could easily see them winning a series or two in the East as well. They are not only playing elite West teams well right now, they beat the Spurs last night, but they dismantled the Mavericks today. Living in Dallas, my friends were in shock.

SilverFalco8
01-08-2015, 03:00 AM
The way the Pistons are playing right now, and with that roster, I could easily see them winning a series or two in the East as well. They are not only playing elite West teams well right now, they beat the Spurs last night, but they dismantled the Mavericks today. Living in Dallas, my friends were in shock.

Yeah, I was in shock too. When I heard about the trade I was like yep the Pistons are done. I didn't expect them to do this well.

dalton749
01-08-2015, 03:20 AM
Hopefully it's the Rudy trade all over again.

FriedTofuz
01-08-2015, 03:26 AM
The raptors and hawks have winning records against the west. isk what the OP is smoking, he clearly doesnt watch games

Nikeman
01-08-2015, 03:41 AM
The raptors and hawks have winning records against the west. isk what the OP is smoking, he clearly doesnt watch games

Highly doubt that would be the case if they played elite Western competition every night.

izmb
01-08-2015, 04:09 AM
Highly doubt that would be the case if they played elite Western competition every night.hawks playing the western conference overall they would most definitely have a winning record..of course not just elite teams

Goose17
01-08-2015, 07:06 AM
It's amazing for Detroit and there fans.

It's pathetic for the league. Makes the east look even worse. I can't believe how weak that conference is.

LakersA's49ers
01-08-2015, 07:09 AM
Uhmmmmm, have you seen the Hawks record against the Western Conference? 10-2. This team is legit!

That includes wins against Dallas, SA, Memphis, LAC, and Portland. Not a bad little resume

Goose17
01-08-2015, 07:14 AM
Uhmmmmm, have you seen the Hawks record against the Western Conference? 10-2. This team is legit!

That includes wins against Dallas, SA, Memphis, LAC, and Portland. Not a bad little resume

What does that have to do with Detroit or the east being weak?

PurpleLynch
01-08-2015, 07:45 AM
No,it's amazing. I mean,Jennings being the hero,Drummond and Monroe destroying opponents's frontcourts,the bench doing his thing(49 points against Dallas from the bench)...it's really funny imo.

Anyway,it will a fun game against Atlanta,both team on fire,both with a strong backcourt.

PurpleLynch
01-08-2015, 07:56 AM
Also,they held their opponents's scoring under 100 points in five of their seven games:Cavs,Magic,Knicks,Kings and Mavs. SVG could have something of solid to work with after this season.

NYKnickFanatic
01-08-2015, 08:00 AM
What does that have to do with Detroit or the east being weak?

Maybe you should read OPs post again...

Crackadalic
01-08-2015, 09:21 AM
Hawks would smack 4 of the top 8 teams out west.

Gators123
01-08-2015, 10:01 AM
If it wasn't got Josh Smith we would probably be 35-0 :eyebrow:

valade16
01-08-2015, 10:02 AM
They started the season 5-23, in the Western Conference that would be a lost season no matter how you end up finishing. 7 game win streak later, they are 12-23, and only 3 games out of making the playoffs as an 8th seed in the east, and 4 games back of the 7th seed. Hell the 5th seed is only 6 games ahead of them.

Amazing turn around, but this is borderline pathetic. The East is such a joke. The 27-8 Hawks, and 24-10 Raptors would struggle to make the playoffs in the West. The easiest games for the Western conference teams come against the East. GS is 11-0, Portland is 15-2, Dallas is 16-4 etc etc.

I agree with your premise on how pathetic the East is, but in regards to the bolded Somebody should tell them then, the Hawks have won like 4 straight on the road against playoff teams from the West and the Raptors have a winning record vs. the West...

IBleedPurple
01-08-2015, 10:27 AM
Lesson: If you're in the EC, you can go from the cellar to challenging for the playoffs in 2 weeks. Awful.

nycericanguy
01-08-2015, 10:29 AM
Lesson: If you're in the EC, you can go from the cellar to challenging for the playoffs in 2 weeks. Awful.

Didn't OKC do the same in the west?

Give DET credit, they've won 7 in a row, its not like they went 4-3 and got back into it because the east was so weak,

2-ONE-5
01-08-2015, 11:09 AM
wow no one like to give East teams credit for anything, its unreal.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-08-2015, 12:41 PM
If Detroit keeps this up. They could pry away 8th seed spot from Miami Heat.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-08-2015, 12:46 PM

you are a joke

Hawks are 10-2 against west

SportsFanatic10
01-08-2015, 12:55 PM
Just form a f***ing wall! lol gotta love it...they seriously look pretty good though, i could see them getting in. maybe at the expense of the heat :(

Blink
01-08-2015, 01:21 PM
As a Pistons fan its the best of both worlds. Pathetic in the eyes of some fans of Western Conference teams. Many teams out west who don't make the playoffs could be the 5th seed in the east.

Amazing because we started 5-23. Even as bad as we started we have a chance. Looks like we are out of top 3 pick but this is keeping our young players happy. The best part about this is if we make the playoffs....couldn't be happier. If we dont....the East is so weak that we are still going to be in the hunt for another top 10 pick to go with 30 million in cap space if we decline all team options.

beasted86
01-08-2015, 01:21 PM

I actually heard a few say the HEAT over the last couple years were a 7-8 seed if in the Western conference, including the 66 win team.

I've realized some people just like to say things for the attention, nothing else. They don't actually believe what they are saying.

WVNowitzki
01-08-2015, 01:44 PM
They slashed us up last night, they can ball.

2-ONE-5
01-08-2015, 01:51 PM
If Detroit keeps this up. They could pry away 8th seed spot from Miami Heat.

im hoping! sixers get that pick (top 10 protected)

Giannis94
01-08-2015, 01:51 PM
I think the bigger story is that the Bucks have just about the same record as the Cavs haha

All while losing arguably their top player

Kaner
01-08-2015, 01:53 PM

Yeah it's ridiculous Detroit's turnaround has been very impressive and people just want to talk about the east sucking. I'll say it again 4 teams in the east are on pace for 56+ wins and all 4 of those teams have winning records against the west, get your head out of your *** people... the east isn't that weak.

Hawkeye15
01-08-2015, 02:23 PM
it's pathetic that a 7 game win streak after starting that way will get you in the playoff hunt. The east sucks, always has, the sky is blue, whatever

Hawkeye15
01-08-2015, 02:24 PM
Yeah it's ridiculous Detroit's turnaround has been very impressive and people just want to talk about the east sucking. I'll say it again 4 teams in the east are on pace for 56+ wins and all 4 of those teams have winning records against the west, get your head out of your *** people... the east isn't that weak.

but it is. Those top teams get to feast on a heavy diet of those crappy teams that are the bottom of the playoffs, and below out east. I would never take anything away from a team that wins a championship, but it is a pure fact the east, while they usually have 1-2 teams that are legit contenders, has sucked for almost 30 years top to bottom.

D-Leethal
01-08-2015, 02:35 PM
Amazingly pathetic.

D-Leethal
01-08-2015, 02:36 PM
or pathetically amazing?

Chronz
01-08-2015, 03:05 PM
Lol It's amazing none the less

2-ONE-5
01-08-2015, 03:42 PM
i forgot there are no bad teams at the bottom of the West

Goose17
01-08-2015, 04:06 PM
Maybe you should read OPs post again...

The topic is about Detroit and the east being weak.

One strong team doesn't make a strong conference. Neither does 2. Or 3. As the east has been for a while. The east overall is utter garbage.

Goose17
01-08-2015, 04:09 PM
When the 9th or 10th seed in the West could feasibly sweep the first seed in the east... There's an issue.

Chronz
01-08-2015, 04:25 PM
i forgot there are no bad teams at the bottom of the West

But the west Is better so how do we account for that?

ghettosean
01-08-2015, 04:56 PM

:facepalm:

ghettosean
01-08-2015, 04:59 PM
When the 9th or 10th seed in the West could feasibly sweep the first seed in the east... There's an issue.

I don't think anyone doubts OKC could beat any team in the eastern conference when they are healthy but not so sure about New Orleans.

JWO35
01-08-2015, 05:58 PM
As a Piston fan I would consider it amazing....Before the season started most of us thought we would contend for the 8th spot or just miss the playoff, but after starting 5-23 it seemed liked this team was done. I was shocked that our Smithless team is performing this well. A playoff spot is now back in play and should be the goal for this team.
What does this say about the East? Meh...I think it just means there's less separation between the best and the worse in the East compared to the West.

Kaner
01-08-2015, 08:43 PM
but it is. Those top teams get to feast on a heavy diet of those crappy teams that are the bottom of the playoffs, and below out east. I would never take anything away from a team that wins a championship, but it is a pure fact the east, while they usually have 1-2 teams that are legit contenders, has sucked for almost 30 years top to bottom.

Check the playoff teams SOS, you can claim that the east teams are beating up on the weak teams in their conference and the west are grinding it out but the facts don't support it. The SOS of the top 4 teams in the East I mentioned are all very comparable to a playoff team in the West, there isn't some great difference between who the best of the West are playing game in and game out and who the best of the east are. If you want to discredit Chicago, or Atlanta for an easy schedule to date then you have to do the same to Dallas, Portland, and Golden State and not just draw the line at what conference they're playing in. The 1-2 teams that you can usually expect from the east is exactly why this is an exciting season for the conference. There are probably 4 teams in the East that have a chance to make it to the finals, when was the last time their were that many teams with a chance in the east? A historically great Western conference is covering the fact that this is as wide open a east as we've had in years.

JordansBulls
01-08-2015, 09:05 PM

Atlanta is 10-2 against the West.

DaBear
01-08-2015, 09:08 PM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-goew7n_y3gQ/VBEYVEvYaDI/AAAAAAAAZic/U8HMs7hmAdI/s1600/well,%2Bthere%2Bit%2Bis.%2Bthe%2Bstupidest%2Bf%2Bu cking%2Bthing%2Bi'll%2Bread%2Ball%2Bday..jpg

Raps08-09 Champ
01-08-2015, 09:21 PM
That's just how it works. All the best coaches, owners and management teams are in the West.

kozelkid
01-09-2015, 03:09 AM
That's about as feasible as them sweeping the 1st seed in the west if you actually believe that.

MTar786
01-09-2015, 06:45 AM
i wouldnt say the hawks are the best team in the east

But I would say that they are the least worst team in the east so far

Goose17
01-09-2015, 08:40 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-goew7n_y3gQ/VBEYVEvYaDI/AAAAAAAAZic/U8HMs7hmAdI/s1600/well,%2Bthere%2Bit%2Bis.%2Bthe%2Bstupidest%2Bf%2Bu cking%2Bthing%2Bi'll%2Bread%2Ball%2Bday..jpg

You don't think OKC could sweep Atlanta?

Goose17
01-09-2015, 08:42 AM
That's about as feasible as them sweeping the 1st seed in the west if you actually believe that.

You don't think OKC could sweep Atlanta? Really? You don't think that's possible at all?

Goose17
01-09-2015, 08:43 AM

I don't think anyone doubts OKC could beat any team in the eastern conference when they are healthy but not so sure about New Orleans.

Not saying it's likely new orleans could do it. I'm saying it's possible.

Where as they couldn't touch the top 3/4 in the west in a seven game series.

kozelkid
01-09-2015, 08:45 AM
You don't think OKC could sweep Atlanta? Really? You don't think that's possible at all?

Not this years Atlanta Hawks. They are for real.

If this was last few years Atlanta Hawks, then I'd agree with you. On the other hand, they wouldn't be at the top of the Eastern Conference Standings after 35+ games.

kozelkid
01-09-2015, 08:46 AM

I think you are under the illusion that these are the same Atlanta Hawks. They are not. Doesn't seem like you watched many of their games (not that I'd blame you).

nycericanguy
01-09-2015, 12:11 PM
You don't think OKC could sweep Atlanta?

in fairness, we all know OKC is not really a #8 seed. If healthy they are a 55-60 win team.

The better question would be, could OKC without Durant beat ATL? Because they've been without Durant most of the year and that's the only reason they are below .500 right now.

Or could PHO sweep ATL? Pho is a legit #8 seed out west.

Jamiecballer
01-09-2015, 12:16 PM

Possible but quite unlikely. Atlanta could definitely give them a good series, maybe even beat them. The only thing i take issue with is when people say that the 8th or 9th seed could/would beat any East team in a series and they aren't referring to a team like Oklahoma City who are obviously much better than an 8th or 9th seed, rather an elite team devastated by early season injury working their way back. Saying Oklahoma City could beat the Hawks, Raptors, Bulls - very plausible. Saying that the 8th or 9th best team in the West could beat those same teams is very different.

valade16
01-09-2015, 01:03 PM
in fairness, we all know OKC is not really a #8 seed. If healthy they are a 55-60 win team.

The better question would be, could OKC without Durant beat ATL? Because they've been without Durant most of the year and that's the only reason they are below .500 right now.

Or could PHO sweep ATL? Pho is a legit #8 seed out west.

No way Phoenix or OKC without Durant sweeps Atlanta, they'd almost certainly lose the series and they'd have a better chance of getting swept than Atlanta would.

Crackadalic
01-09-2015, 01:09 PM

Hawks would actually take them to 7 games. Hawks actually play team ball. OKC is too too heavy to swept a team that has a more balance roster

ghettosean
01-09-2015, 01:52 PM
Possible but quite unlikely. Atlanta could definitely give them a good series, maybe even beat them. The only thing i take issue with is when people say that the 8th or 9th seed could/would beat any East team in a series and they aren't referring to a team like Oklahoma City who are obviously much better than an 8th or 9th seed, rather an elite team devastated by early season injury working their way back. Saying Oklahoma City could beat the Hawks, Raptors, Bulls - very plausible. Saying that the 8th or 9th best team in the West could beat those same teams is very different.

No way Phoenix or OKC without Durant sweeps Atlanta, they'd almost certainly lose the series and they'd have a better chance of getting swept than Atlanta would.

2 posters making complete sense on the twisted words of an 8th or 9th seed beating top teams in the east. I think some people are trying to troll here.

ghettosean
01-09-2015, 01:56 PM

Anything is possible but to blatantly say that like you know or it's fact is trolling. Also OKC got to 9th seed without Durant and Westbrook for the most part so if that's the team the Hawks or Raptors would be facing then I think the sweep would go the other way around. Keep in mind as well that Toronto has made it to where they are without there 2nd best player. I just think you are leaving crucial information out of your predictions.

torocan
01-09-2015, 02:23 PM

Personally, having followed both teams fairly closely this season I think it's highly unlikely that OKC would sweep the Hawks in a 7 game series. It's not because the Hawks are an awesome team (they're very good, but not title favorites), but that they match up exceedingly well against OKC.

Here's the problem that OKC faces against the Hawks. The Hawks has a very good front court in Horford + Millsap in that Millsap can not only drive and post up, but has extended his range to the 3 point line in the last 2 seasons. Horford is a bruising post up player who also has a jump shot that extends to 18 feet. And then you have Demarre Carrol who is a 37% 3pt shooter playing the SF position.

Now you look at that and think what's the big deal... the problem is that OKC's paint protection is reliant on a few basic ideas. First that they have Perkins and Adams patrolling the paint to protect the rim. Second that their front court and wing players (Ibaka and Durant) can play weak side defense to help with shot blocking and rebounds.

So, what do you do when the Hawks throw out Horford, Millsap, and Carroll at you as the starters and Antic, Mike Scott and Sefolosha from the bench? Horford and Antic basically nullifies Perkins' ability to stay in the paint as both of them can stretch out (Horford to 18 feet, Antic to the 3 point line). And Millsap and Scott's (40% 3pt shooter) range to the 3 point line means that you're pulling Ibaka out to the 3 point line. So who's left to help at the rim. Durant, right?

The problem is that the Hawks are playing Demarre Carroll at the SF position and guess what, he's also a 3 point shooter (37%) that can also drive to the rim. And when Carroll isn't on the floor Sefolosha is on the floor manning you on defense.

So now, Perkins has to leave the paint of have Horford and Antic dropping bombs. Ibaka has to leave the paint to cover Millsap and Mike Scott. And Durant is either leaving the paint to cover Carroll or having to score with Sefolosha defending him during bench minutes.

Now maybe you think you can switch off some of these guys to cover some holes except the scoring guards on the Hawks can also stretch the floor out. You got Kyle Korver manning the SG position (one of the best shooters of all time) and when he's not shooting you have Kent Bazemore on the floor (37% from 3 over the last 50 games).

And that's not even talking about the PG match ups of Teague (solid pg with 3 point range) and Schroder (aggressive driver to the rim with a decent shot to 16 feet or so).

All of this means that the driving lanes are now essentially wide open.

Finally, let's not forget that the Hawks is heavily modeled on the Spurs.

This means they move the ball very well and run teams ragged chasing the passes. You miss a rotation and they'll make you pay with a wide open jump shot, dunk or lay up. And they'll do that for a full 24 second shot clock running 4-5 passes per play.

This also means that they play solid fundamental defense. They move their feet, they make crisp defensive rotations and they close out and contest shots consistently and aggressively.

Most importantly, they run 10 deep and rotate guys non stop for the entire game... that means the longer you got Durant and Westbrook playing the more they're facing waves of players not only defending them but aggressively attacking them on defense.

This doesn't mean that OKC isn't the better team and a favorite over Atlanta (they are in my view), but those specific match up problems combined with the system in place, and toss in the lack of bench depth on OKC and I wouldn't be shocked if it went 6 or 7 games or if you had an outright upset.

Howard_Zinn
01-09-2015, 02:40 PM
If Detroit wins tonight, this is going to be crazy..

Vampirate
01-09-2015, 02:55 PM
If Detroit wins tonight, this is going to be crazy..

As good as Detroit has been, Atlanta has been on a whole new level than anyone in the East lately.

The Darkhorse
01-09-2015, 04:32 PM
As good as Detroit has been, Atlanta has been on a whole new level than anyone in the East lately.

As good as Detroit has been, they beat up on 5 weak teams. Then a win in San Antonio, minus Kawhi Leonard, Parker playing 13 minutes, and Duncan sitting out most of the 4th quarter. Followed by winning big in Dallas, which really opened eyes. Are the Pistons for real? A loss to Atlanta may show they aren't as good as we think they have become. I hope not...

Vampirate
01-09-2015, 04:48 PM
As good as Detroit has been, they beat up on 5 weak teams. Then a win in San Antonio, minus Kawhi Leonard, Parker playing 13 minutes, and Duncan sitting out most of the 4th quarter. Followed by winning big in Dallas, which really opened eyes. Are the Pistons for real? A loss to Atlanta may show they aren't as good as we think they have become. I hope not...

Nah a loss to Atlanta wouldn't be a big deal, nowadays that's like losing to Golden State with the way the Hawks are playing.

I would say Toronto and New Orleans would give you a better idea, Toronto is good but is playing horribly these days and New Orleans is a .500 team in the West which converts to something like .570 with the East-west exchange rate, plus they got some guy named Anthony Davis.

Both teams are beatable but they won't be a walk in the park.

The Darkhorse
01-09-2015, 05:23 PM
Back on topic.

Pistons in the playoffs...pathetic. Although if they finish the season above .500 (unlikely) then it would be amazing.

Vampirate
01-09-2015, 05:45 PM
Back on topic.

Pistons in the playoffs...pathetic. Although if they finish the season above .500 (unlikely) then it would be amazing.

If they truly went a 180 as a team, then all the **** that's in the east should truly help them reach that.

basch152
01-09-2015, 10:52 PM
Pistons took it to Atlanta, who are probably the second best team in the NBA, after beating Dallas and San Antonio. And they did it with their best player playing limited minutes and being sick.

They're legit.

Not that it's saying much but probably 2nd or 3rd best team in the East.

R. Johnson#3
01-09-2015, 11:14 PM
Do people actually think Josh Smith is good? He turns the ball over, shoots 40% give or take and attempts 3's when he can't even make free throws. Of course getting rid of him will make your team better! I never understood why the Pistons were so bad until I actually watched them. Josh Smith is so bad it's not even funny.

Duncan = Donkey
01-10-2015, 02:21 AM
its pathetic. I hate how a team that loses more games then it wins can make the playoffs, while another team wins more games than it loses and they dont make the playoffs just because they are located on the west coast of America. Its just pathetic and something to be ridiculed and laughed at because it is so god damn stupid.

Goose17
01-10-2015, 02:30 AM

Fair enough. I meant the teams currently at those seedings. No way of knowing who will be there at the end of the season.

Point still stands. One or two good teams doesn't make a conference "strong" like some were inferring. It doesn't matter what Atlantas record is against the West. It's one team. The West has several teams that could contend out East and 3 or 4 more high caliber teams. It's a whole other world out west.

kozelkid
01-10-2015, 02:40 AM
Fair enough. I meant the teams currently at those seedings. No way of knowing who will be there at the end of the season.

Point still stands. One or two good teams doesn't make a conference "strong" like some were inferring. It doesn't matter what Atlantas record is against the West. It's one team. The West has several teams that could contend out East and 3 or 4 more high caliber teams. It's a whole other world out west.
No one here is denying that the Western conference is the stronger of the two. However, the idea that the top eastern teams can't compete against the top western ones is a silly notion. Teams like Chicago, Atlanta, and Toronto don't represent the rest of the East's ineptitude.

jp611
01-10-2015, 04:19 AM
The Timberwolves and Lakers would totally be contenders in the East, while the Hawks and Raptors would be bottom feeders.

MERP.

goingfor28
01-10-2015, 04:26 AM
its pathetic. I hate how a team that loses more games then it wins can make the playoffs, while another team wins more games than it loses and they dont make the playoffs just because they are located on the west coast of America. Its just pathetic and something to be ridiculed and laughed at because it is so god damn stupid.
Happens in the nfl too, just a lot less likely. Panthers this year and the Seahawks ~5 years ago

Goose17
01-10-2015, 06:34 AM
No one here is denying that the Western conference is the stronger of the two. However, the idea that the top eastern teams can't compete against the top western ones is a silly notion. Teams like Chicago, Atlanta, and Toronto don't represent the rest of the East's ineptitude.

Oh for sure I think Atlanta and Toronto can compete with the West. Probably Chicago too.

Outside of those three teams and maybe D.C on a good day, the east is completely awful.

mark1125
01-10-2015, 11:47 AM
It is refreshing to see a team that is just not that good STILL attempt to fight and claw to make the playoffs (to likely be dispatched) instead of flagrantly tanking. Honestly....would d then win the lottery to screw with the Philly's and New Yorks.

Daze9900
01-10-2015, 11:58 AM
It's amazing that one person can apparently have a negative influence on a team and outcome of games. Josh Smith has a track record for two teams getting better after he left.

basch152
01-12-2015, 01:32 PM
The Timberwolves and Lakers would totally be contenders in the East, while the Hawks and Raptors would be bottom feeders.

MERP.

Is this sarcasm?

In the span of about two weeks Atlanta beat Portland, houston, memphis, dallas, and the clippers(twice).

That's the 2-6 seed in the west.

So why in the world would you say they wouldn't be able to compete out west?

From what I can see the Hawks are 6-1 against the top 8 seeded teams in the west, their only loss being by 2 to San Antonio the second game of the season...

kozelkid
01-12-2015, 02:17 PM
Is this sarcasm?

In the span of about two weeks Atlanta beat Portland, houston, memphis, dallas, and the clippers(twice).

From what I can see the Hawks are 6-1 against the top 8 seeded teams in the west, their only loss being by 2 to San Antonio the second game of the season...
Yes. It is clearly sarcasm.

Vampirate
01-12-2015, 02:24 PM
Oh for sure I think Atlanta and Toronto can compete with the West. Probably Chicago too.

Outside of those three teams and maybe D.C on a good day, the east is completely awful.

Before Demar went out i'd agree with you, but Toronto's defense is so bad these days i'm seriously having doubts.

Then again, so far the 8th seed in the west was not the absolute separation it used to be from the non playoffs teams. Granted a a .550% is no joke for an 8th seed but i'm so used to the 8th seed in the west having 49-50 wins lol it seems like it downgraded so far this year.

I think in the West Chicago, Atlanta, Toronto, Washington could get a .550 or better record, Cleveland needs to get their **** together.

Hawkeye15
01-12-2015, 08:13 PM
Check the playoff teams SOS, you can claim that the east teams are beating up on the weak teams in their conference and the west are grinding it out but the facts don't support it. The SOS of the top 4 teams in the East I mentioned are all very comparable to a playoff team in the West, there isn't some great difference between who the best of the West are playing game in and game out and who the best of the east are. If you want to discredit Chicago, or Atlanta for an easy schedule to date then you have to do the same to Dallas, Portland, and Golden State and not just draw the line at what conference they're playing in. The 1-2 teams that you can usually expect from the east is exactly why this is an exciting season for the conference. There are probably 4 teams in the East that have a chance to make it to the finals, when was the last time their were that many teams with a chance in the east? A historically great Western conference is covering the fact that this is as wide open a east as we've had in years.

but you are missing the strength of the west. When even the 6-10 teams are literally destroying the same seed east teams in SOS, it shows you the pure strength, up and down, of the west, and how much more difficult it is to have that strong SOS. Meaning, any team from the west that moved to the east, will see a rise in SOS, and vice versa.

Hawkeye15
01-12-2015, 08:15 PM
Is this sarcasm?

it is sarcasm, but there isn't a team out east I can take seriously to win a championship this year. It's top heavy, for sure. I doubt any east team you brought up is getting HCA in the 1st round out west however.

Jamiecballer
01-12-2015, 10:39 PM
but you are missing the strength of the west. When even the 6-10 teams are literally destroying the same seed east teams in SOS, it shows you the pure strength, up and down, of the west, and how much more difficult it is to have that strong SOS. Meaning, any team from the west that moved to the east, will see a rise in SOS, and vice versa.
Can you repeat that, maybe in a different way? I'm trying to get my head around that. I haven't heard anybody say this before.

Hawkeye15
01-12-2015, 11:41 PM
Can you repeat that, maybe in a different way? I'm trying to get my head around that. I haven't heard anybody say this before.

SOS is a result, correct? The results, of playing a harder schedule, over the course of 82 games, will for sure drop every east team in that stat, and raise every west team, with outliers.

You are a stats person. You understand SOS does indeed have some influence on who you play. A west heavy schedule if flat out more difficult.

Do you really think the Cavs for instance would have won as many games out west so far? Or, don't you think the Hornets would have won more out east?

Jamiecballer
01-12-2015, 11:49 PM
SOS is a result, correct? The results, of playing a harder schedule, over the course of 82 games, will for sure drop every east team in that stat, and raise every west team, with outliers.

You are a stats person. You understand SOS does indeed have some influence on who you play. A west heavy schedule if flat out more difficult.

Do you really think the Cavs for instance would have won as many games out west so far? Or, don't you think the Hornets would have won more out east?
Sure the more good teams you face the more the strength of schedule will rise. But you said any team moving from the west to east will have their SOS rise and that seems backwards to me.