PDA

View Full Version : Cavs Ownership Question (AKA Lebron Effect)

Kyben36
01-06-2015, 06:08 PM
is there a problem when a player, Lebron james, is asked about a trade, while the coach, blatt, goes uninformed until game time only to find out a player is traded ???, Im not blaming this entirely on Lebron, but it is in a way the Lebron effect, but, should a player have that much control, and should the team have informed the coach over the player???? to me, it just seems wrong, but maybe its not necessary to informed the coach. Im not sure.

Hawkeye15
01-06-2015, 06:17 PM
is there a problem when a player, Lebron james, is asked about a trade, while the coach, blatt, goes uninformed until game time only to find out a player is traded ???, Im not blaming this entirely on Lebron, but it is in a way the Lebron effect, but, should a player have that much control, and should the team have informed the coach over the player???? to me, it just seems wrong, but maybe its not necessary to informed the coach. Im not sure.

In theory, no player should have that much control. But in reality, they do if they are a superstar player. To get LeBron power, you need to be an all timer in his prime obviously, but those types do hold that power.

Raps08-09 Champ
01-06-2015, 06:27 PM
Some trades, neither party is asked. Some trades, only some players are discussed and coaching is not. Some trades, players are unaware and only coaches are asked.

It happens all the time and superstar players are usually asked about trades since you revolve a roster around them.

Sly Guy
01-06-2015, 06:29 PM
I think the logic from management's standpoint is that the players have more impact than the coaches on what goes on on the floor (their actions directly affect outcome), so management will consult players on moves if they deem their impact great enough. Personally, I think it puts a kink in organizational hierarchy (GM>coach>player>waterboy etc), but when you've got a player that's once in a generation like LeBron, then it's almost expected.

mngopher35
01-06-2015, 06:30 PM
I would definitely think a coach should be informed over a player and have more say. Lebron is a great basketball player but he shouldn't be the one making the choices of who they bring in.

As hawkeye said star players like this get some say in moves a lot of times though (like kg for mn).

Raps08-09 Champ
01-06-2015, 06:31 PM

Whether or not coaching was asked about a trade isn't Lebron's fault. Isn't it the GMs job to ask?

Of course coaches should be asked and should be informed, but that's on Griffin to inform coaching.

slaker619
01-06-2015, 06:37 PM
Thats insulting to the coach idc how good the player is he's not the one making the plays & subs

smith&wesson
01-06-2015, 06:46 PM
I totally get it. If your star player doesn't get along with someone, it might be wise for you to get that information before trying to trade for that player(s)

smith&wesson
01-06-2015, 06:49 PM
Thats insulting to the coach idc how good the player is he's not the one making the plays & subs

A player may or may not like another player based on past experiences, personal reasons etc. You certainly do not want chemistry issues, so yeah its wise to talk to your main player about moves you are making.

A coach however, should be able to coach and teach any roster you form. They are older, more mature, and are not expected to have personal vendettas with players so there should be no issue from a coaches stand point with the moves you make.

Personally I would communicate with both. Do we know for sure that Blatt had no clue moves were being made ? I doubt it, he must have had some idea.

JEDean89
01-06-2015, 07:41 PM
lebron hasn't been a great GM for the cavs, the Love trade was bad at the time and in hindsight, they then blew whatever little flexibility they had left on Varejao...

Sanjay
01-07-2015, 07:09 PM

I would not be surprised if Lebron is designing the plays and rotations!

Sanjay
01-07-2015, 07:10 PM
lebron hasn't been a great GM for the cavs, the Love trade was bad at the time and in hindsight, they then blew whatever little flexibility they had left on Varejao...

Do you think they should have kept Wiggins instead of trading for Love?

Sanjay
01-07-2015, 07:25 PM

Personally, I think the value of coaches is overrated. Of course there are the great ones like Popovich who is effective because the Spurs never really have one superstar, they have many really good players who thrive in Pop's system. Using the Cavs as an example, LeBron is one of the best players ever, 2 Finals MVPs, 4 League MVPs e.t.c. and not taking anything away from Blatt (he had a stellar playing and coaching career around the world), but he has never played or coached in the NBA before. It would be hard for LeBron to accept Blatt's coaching because he would be thinking 'even though you are older than me, I've got more NBA experience than you'.

Back to the question, the league has coaches who create plays and select who plays when and for how long so I think they should really decide who they want on their team. Of course the core group of senior players should also be consulted.

Jamiecballer
01-07-2015, 07:32 PM

it's not necessary to inform the coach so it's not relevant IMO.

TheIlladelph16
01-07-2015, 07:38 PM

I feel like its very early to make this declaration, particularly the Love trade.