PDA

View Full Version : Should Phil have kept Tyson and traded him mid-season?

Chronz
01-06-2015, 01:42 PM
Given the resurgent year, did Phil succumb to the same thing that happened to MJ? He traded Tyson after an injury prone season.

Wade n Fade
01-06-2015, 01:49 PM
Given the resurgent year, did Phil succumb to the same thing that happened to MJ? He traded Tyson after an injury prone season.

If the Cavs problems were foreseeable, then yes. Hindsight is 20/20. The deal with the Mavs made sense for both sides back before the season started. As for Tyson being a Knick now, he wouldn't have the same #s. Remember, Fat Felton was the starting PG for the Knicks. The Knicks did get Calderon. They will lose out on Larkin and the picks are relatively insignificant. The deal for the Knicks didn't work out so well since they just got spare change and cap space because how bad Dalembert has been.

If the Cavs traded for Chandler right now, assuming he was a Knick, they would've needed to traded Dion Waiters, a 1st, and contracts to matchup the money.

Tony_Starks
01-06-2015, 01:54 PM
Nope. Nobody was really beating down the door to get him at the time. He was labeled as not only over the hill but questionable health and a malcontent to boot. Dallas just so happened to be the perfect scenario for him, if they didn't t him then they would've got him later. Cuban admits that he screwed up letting him go in the first place...

Vampirate
01-06-2015, 01:55 PM
As a Raptors fan i'm glad the Cavs didn't get the chance to trade for Chandler.

DarkKnight
01-06-2015, 02:19 PM
They took fatty ,that made that trade acceptable

FraziersKnicks
01-06-2015, 02:21 PM
If the Knicks had held onto Tyson for another half a season we would have more than 5 wins now which wouldn't be good for our tanking opportunities.

I'm glad we traded him when we did.

abe_froman
01-06-2015, 02:22 PM
are we sure tyson would have still bounced back playing in ny? besides injuries i think just being back in a healthy environment is why he bounced back....though i think phil should have held out for picks

D-Leethal
01-06-2015, 02:32 PM
Tyson would have been complete and utter garbage in the triangle. I don't think we have run a high pick and roll all season.

jimm120
01-06-2015, 02:35 PM
at the knick way, I mentioned how the Tyson trade keeps getting worse and worse.

Larkin, Early, and Thananis don't seem as if they'll be back.
We got rid of Felton's 4.5 contract next season, but we got back Calderon's 7 million

So in essence, we traded Tyson just to "upscale" from Felton to Calderon (at a more expensive contract). Don't get me wrong, Calderon IS TONS better than Felton, but not worth it.

It seems like it was a mistake. We'll have to see if Larkin, Early, or Thananis end up being of any use. If at least 1 of them is a factor for 2015, then it was an ok trade (though I still don't like taking on Calderon)

Hawkeye15
Tyson would have been complete and utter garbage in the triangle. I don't think we have run a high pick and roll all season.

exactly what I was going to say. Tyson, is not helping on this Knicks roster with this offense.

mngopher35
Most of his resurgence probably has to do with his new team and surroundings, not sure his value would change much on Knicks. Also they may have played a little better with him and not been in the same position for a top pick (although not much better).

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-06-2015, 10:37 PM
This was a horrible trade for NY. He could have kept Chandler and traded him for Jackson from OKC. They are not going to match for Jackson this summer so they would want to get something for him. OKC was also willing to give up a first round pick for Dion Waiters who sucks. I am sure they would appreciate a defensive big like Chandler who is coming off the books this year.

Knick fans were excited when they thought they got Jackson. You could have had him with out Calderons horrible contract to boot.

KnicksorBust
01-06-2015, 11:23 PM
Cleanthony Early's game is tight. Josh Howard 2.o

Raps18-19 Champ
01-06-2015, 11:27 PM
Nah, they should have traded him in the offseason, but making a different trade instead.

Thumper 88
01-07-2015, 12:26 AM
I clearly remember all (95%) the kyk fans telling me how bad Tyson is going to be and Jose is going to fit so well... But you know the funny part? There's a thread in the knicks about how Sammy d is better than Tyson lmao!

Bruno
01-07-2015, 08:37 AM
totally. Think about what Cleveland would have offered for Tyson. better than the Calderon package. plus he's older.

Crackadalic
01-07-2015, 10:18 AM
If we had keep Tyson we would have won so much more games. Be a mid lottery team and risk Tyson getting hurt again? Do people realize he has played 55 games last season and the year before only 65?

Nobody can predict the future but the facts were facts. Tyson was getting older and since we sign him he got worse and worse. SO he is going hard on a contract year. You think he is going to do it again? Come on

People keep saying we didn't get much from it and jose is a failure but again Jose is being ask to be a 3rd option when he has no business being one. He is still better then felton and even with his down numbers he is still tradable
as a vet and good locker room guy.

Early just came back from 6 weeks of rehab and people are already writing him off after 2 games? He was a 1st round talent that fell in the 2nd in a deep draft. Give the kid time. Thansis is just a energizer role player. Nothing wrog with having a motor like that.

Larkin over 37 games went from a 3rd rate scrub to a decent back up.

From a guy who was gonna walk anyway I still do this trade 10 times out of 10. Could have there been a better offer? Maybe but hindsight is 20/20 and we got what we could have at the time

Ty Fast
01-07-2015, 09:09 PM
No cuz they got rid of Felton

KnickNyKnick
01-07-2015, 09:34 PM
who the hell keeps saying it was a bad trade for the Knicks, Tyson was set to expire after this season. And he was NOT being resigned.

Thumper 88
01-07-2015, 10:06 PM

But they have Jose's contract which is twice as much for an extra two years...

Silent
01-07-2015, 10:09 PM

all your players are garbage in the triangle don't really see a difference if you had Tyson or not

KnicksorBust
01-07-2015, 10:29 PM

But they have Jose's contract which is twice as much for an extra two years...

Felton is terrible. Jose is good. We can move his contract easily if we want.

mudvayne387
01-07-2015, 10:38 PM
Felton is terrible. Jose is good. We can move his contract easily if we want.

People will say "Calderon" is untradable just like they said JR. Smith was. But the reality is he will be a valuable backup to a contender down the stretch. Another solid game for him tonight playing with a bunch of d leaguers. Someone will offer a 2nd or maybe even late first for Jose.

Thumper 88
01-07-2015, 11:08 PM
People will say "Calderon" is untradable just like they said JR. Smith was. But the reality is he will be a valuable backup to a contender down the stretch. Another solid game for him tonight playing with a bunch of d leaguers. Someone will offer a 2nd or maybe even late first for Jose.

Who pays 7+ million a year for a backup?

KnickNyKnick
01-07-2015, 11:26 PM

the wealthiest of teams. also with the cap going up 7+ for a solid PG back up is not far-fetched IMO

mudvayne387
01-07-2015, 11:59 PM

Do you want me to list all the backups who make nearly that much ?

Not to mention , Calderon is shooting 42% from 3pt range. Let's not act like the guy can't play anymore. He is a very serviceable player and they will have no problem at least getting a second for him. (if they even want to trade him)

Thumper 88
01-08-2015, 12:06 AM
Spin which ever way you guys want..

Ty Fast
01-08-2015, 12:06 AM

The Nets lol

Thumper 88
01-08-2015, 12:07 AM
The Nets lol
Lmao!

GiantsSwaGG
01-08-2015, 12:22 AM

Nets
Golden State
San Antonio

Need anymore?

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-08-2015, 02:25 AM
totally. Think about what Cleveland would have offered for Tyson. better than the Calderon package. plus he's older.

Exactly. If Mozgoff got back two first rounders what would a good EXPIRING big man net you? Now they are going to have to give up another asset, (if there are any left) for someone to take Calderon.

And you know Phil will do it. Gave up Chandler to get rid of Felton, and Shump to get rid of J.R. Probably going to have to give up Early and Hardaway for someone to take the contract of Calderon.

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-08-2015, 02:40 AM
I really wanted Phil to take over the Lakers, but moves like this and the Chandler one.... I'm not so sure.
JR expires next year and is only making 6.8. Calderon had two years at 7.6 avg after this one and is having a horrible year . And next year he will be 34 and only getting worse.

I don't see what the big rush is to clear the books for this summer. There is no free agent out there worth you giving up the few assets you have for nothing. I feel that Phil knows that he only has a few years to try and fix them and is trying to speed up the process. But he is actually hurting them. I root for Phil and Fish but I hate what I am seeing from them as coach and GM.

colinskik
01-08-2015, 02:57 AM
I really wanted Phil to take over the Lakers, but moves like this and the Chandler one.... I'm not so sure.
JR expires next year and is only making 6.8. Calderon had two years at 7.6 avg after this one and is having a horrible year . And next year he will be 34 and only getting worse.

I don't see what the big rush is to clear the books for this summer. There is no free agent out there worth you giving up the few assets you have for nothing. I feel that Phil knows that he only has a few years to try and fix them and is trying to speed up the process. But he is actually hurting them. I root for Phil and Fish but I hate what I am seeing from them as coach and GM.
You have to remember that Phil was not enamored with our roster, even calling it clumsy before he signed on with us. He's clearing house in order to bring in guys that he likes sho can fit the system. I don't expect him to chase too many big names in FA. maybe one and other guys who fit with Melo and complement his weaknesses.

raiderfaninTX
01-08-2015, 08:43 AM
No if they would have kept tyson and traded him, they would have traded him to the cavs and PSD would ****ing explode

mudvayne387
01-08-2015, 09:04 AM

You really need to do some research before you post nonsense like this.

#1 - David Blatt has ties to Mozgov. He was his target at the center position.
#2- The free agent class next summer is incredibly deep
#3- Calderon is not having a "terrible" year. He was injured to start the season and is just getting back into rhythm. He is managing to shoot over 42% from 3pt range.
#4 - Chandler was absolute garbage all last season for the Knicks. When he wasn't injured, he was giving about 50% effort. His trade value would of been even lower now if he was still on the Knicks.
#5- The Knicks were not going to re-sign Shumpert after this season. So you saying they gave up Shumpert to get rid of Smith's contract may be true, but has little future impact on the team.
#6 - You have no idea if Cleveland would of even been interested in Chandler.
#7- You are butthurt Phil and the Lakers couldn't reach an agreement

Crackadalic
01-08-2015, 09:16 AM

#3- Calderon is not having a "terrible" year. He was injured to start the season and is just getting back into rhythm. He is managing to shoot over 42% from 3pt range.
#4 - Chandler was absolute garbage all last season for the Knicks. When he wasn't injured, he was giving about 50% effort. His trade value would of been even lower now if he was still on the Knicks.
#5- The Knicks were not going to re-sign Shumpert after this season. So you saying they gave up Shumpert to get rid of Smith's contract may be true, but has little future impact on the team.

You saved me the time to write this out.

mudvayne387
01-08-2015, 09:32 AM
You saved me the time to write this out.

I fully understand opposing fans hating on the Knicks, I really do. But if you are going to do it, at least get the facts straight.

jimm120
01-08-2015, 10:23 AM

While I agree with you in a lot of these, you're a bit off on a few.

Even if shump wasn't going to be on the team, it still wasteful to only get to chuck jr's contract. I feel that someone needing a cheap scorer would trade for jr without having to give up shump.

As for Calderon, he is struggling and isn't getting any younger. If one of early/thananis/larking don't manage to stick with the team, the Tyson trade would be a bust. Anyone could have gotten Felton for Calderon simply because mavs would want to dump the 3 year contract.

I felt it was simply better to hold on to Tyson to either let him expire or to trade him midseason. I didn't like the trade. That said, Phil wanted to do SOMETHING and moving Tyson was the only way he'd be able to bring in new players and start chucking the old players out.

nycericanguy
01-08-2015, 10:34 AM

apples and oranges... I dont even think CLE could have traded for Tyson if they wanted to, how can the match $14m in contracts? Not to mention Phil wanted to unload Felton... NY sent out almost $20m in that DAL trade, that would have been very difficult for any team to match.

mudvayne387
01-08-2015, 10:41 AM

Even if shump wasn't going to be on the team, it still wasteful to only get to chuck jr's contract. I feel that someone needing a cheap scorer would trade for jr without having to give up shump.

As for Calderon, he is struggling and isn't getting any younger. If one of early/thananis/larking don't manage to stick with the team, the Tyson trade would be a bust. Anyone could have gotten Felton for Calderon simply because mavs would want to dump the 3 year contract.

I felt it was simply better to hold on to Tyson to either let him expire or to trade him midseason. I didn't like the trade. That said, Phil wanted to do SOMETHING and moving Tyson was the only way he'd be able to bring in new players and start chucking the old players out.

Calderon is struggling but has put up decent games back to back against two very good teams. He was injured in the beginning of the year and when he finally starts to get healthy, he gets to run an offense that consists of 4 bench warmers. I think Phil made the trade for multiple reasons:

1. Chandler did not fit into the Knicks future
2. Calderon would be as good a PG as any to run the triangle
3. Most thought Felton was untradeable
4. Calderon would be easier to move than Felton

As for the Smith/Shumpert trade. It was a move about culture as much as it was a move about shedding dollars. You have to start somewhere and aside from a few stretches of decent basketball, what has Shumpert really accomplished besides having a rap CD ?

The Chandler trade all hinges on Phils ability to trade Calderon. If he is unable to move him, I will concede and agree it was not a great move. But you would have a hard time convincing me that the Smith/Shump trade wasn't a very good move.

LongIslandIcedZ
01-08-2015, 10:57 AM
In hindsight, maybe. I'm a little reluctant to say that Chandler would be playing as well here as he is currently Dallas. Last season he seemed disinterested and seemed to be injured/sick fairly often. I dont know how much playing here would increase his draft stock.

If he was going to play this well with the Knicks, they obviously should have waited. If Denver could get two firsts for Mozgov, the Knicks definitely could have gotten that for Tyson.

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-08-2015, 11:25 AM
In hindsight, maybe. I'm a little reluctant to say that Chandler would be playing as well here as he is currently Dallas. Last season he seemed disinterested and seemed to be injured/sick fairly often. I dont know how much playing here would increase his draft stock.

If he was going to play this well with the Knicks, they obviously should have waited. If Denver could get two firsts for Mozgov, the Knicks definitely could have gotten that for Tyson.

You guys keep talking about how Chandler sucked last year and how he would not be playing as well if he stayed there. Lets say he played the same as last year, his numbers are still better than Mozgov this year. And his deal expires this year which is more attractive to teams.

Crackadalic
01-08-2015, 11:28 AM
You guys keep talking about how Chandler sucked last year and how he would not be playing as well if he stayed there. Lets say he played the same as last year, his numbers are still better than Mozgov this year. And his deal expires this year which is more attractive to teams.

I fail to understand how any team will give up two first rounders for an expiring big man that is injury prone. I seen this story before. Go hard on your last year and cost on your new contract

Captain Moroni
01-08-2015, 11:30 AM
Felton is gone , JR. is gone. Tyson and Shump were not being resigned anyway. Win win lottery win.

D-Leethal
01-08-2015, 11:46 AM

Those are all your opinions and I disagree with all of them. You feel we could have gotten rid of JR without sweetening the pot? We've been trying to do that since Phil has been here. Nobody here thought we could get rid of JR, let alone get rid of him without giving up future assets (Shump had no future here). I mean, what do people honestly think 3 month rental of an injured Shumpert is going to net you? Celtics got a late first and spare parts for Rondo and we want a late first for 3 month rental of an injured Shumpert and JR's contract nobody wanted?

Mavs were not desperate to shed Caldo, they just wanted Chandler. No way they were simply swapping Felton and Caldo, Caldo would have a role on that team, Felton is going to be banished to the bench until his contract expires and I would imagine his time playing in the NBA is finished.

Phil is obviously trying to collect direct cheap youngins to groom as bench/role players so we can use our cap space on starters. Getting Early, Thanasis, Larkin was part of that plan. He got us into the draft last year and got 2-3 guys who might stick around long term and have roles for us, Chandler had no long term future here and would not have raised his trade value one bit playing in the triangle.

If we are able to shed Calderon without giving up an asset (which I think is entirely plausible and Marc Stein already reported teams would line up at the door to give us a 2nd rounder for him), the Tyson trade saved us 12M in cap space for this off season while giving us three prospects who might have a role here long term.

D-Leethal
01-08-2015, 11:50 AM
If we held out for more on all these trades we could have easily gotten less. What if Chandler dogs it like he did last year, we start feeding him the ball at the high post in the triangle and he makes a goddamn fool out of himself? You think were getting more value?

What if JR's knee flares up again? You think anyone is taking him? What if Shump continued to sputter after his hot start? Longer we wait, the value Shumpert has to any team considering he is an unrestricted FA.

You can't just assume we could have gotten more for these guys, we could have easily gotten less.

mudvayne387
01-08-2015, 11:53 AM

You just don't understand. Mozgov was Blatt's first choice for the role. He is four years younger and under team control for peanuts next year.

D-Leethal
01-08-2015, 11:54 AM

Teams don't give up MORE assets for an expiring in Cleveland's situation. Why give up more assets for a guy who can walk in 3 months? That doesn't happen.

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-08-2015, 12:54 PM
If we held out for more on all these trades we could have easily gotten less. What if Chandler dogs it like he did last year, we start feeding him the ball at the high post in the triangle and he makes a goddamn fool out of himself? You think were getting more value?

What if JR's knee flares up again? You think anyone is taking him? What if Shump continued to sputter after his hot start? Longer we wait, the value Shumpert has to any team considering he is an unrestricted FA.

You can't just assume we could have gotten more for these guys, we could have easily gotten less.

You're right, Phil has never won anything in the triangle with a defensive specialist with no offensive game. Other than that Rodman guy. Of course you don't run the offense through him. That would be idiotic.

JR expires next year. How is that contract untradable?

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-08-2015, 12:58 PM
You just don't understand. Mozgov was Blatt's first choice for the role. He is four years younger and under team control for peanuts next year.

Teams don't give up MORE assets for an expiring in Cleveland's situation. Why give up more assets for a guy who can walk in 3 months? That doesn't happen.

I never said it had to be specifically to Cleveland. But say Cleveland makes the same trade, they have set the market on big men. Other teams need them as well. Oklahoma City who wants to save money sure could use a guy like Chandler who is expiring. I bet you OKC is going to trade Reggie Jackson because they don't want to spend money on him this summer. They seem like a prime trade partner right about now don't they?

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-08-2015, 01:08 PM
I fully understand opposing fans hating on the Knicks, I really do. But if you are going to do it, at least get the facts straight.

I do not have one reason to hate on the Knicks. Not one.

You can check my post history. When every other teams fans were bashing Phil, I defended him and the Knicks. I wanted him to do well to shove it in Jim in Jeanie Buss's face. He is doing the opposite of that in my opinion.

I met Fisher after the Lakers won their first championship last decade, he couldn't have been a nicer guy and I have always rooted for him since then. I wanted him to do well but so far they look horrible. I will give him the benefit of the doubt because of the crap roster he's been dealt.

Thumper 88
01-08-2015, 01:49 PM
I fail to understand how any team will give up two first rounders for an expiring big man that is injury prone. I seen this story before. Go hard on your last year and cost on your new contract

Wait.. So his first year in new York after a big contract he didn't go hard? Lol ok knick fans

D-Leethal
01-08-2015, 02:07 PM
Wait.. So his first year in new York after a big contract he didn't go hard? Lol ok knick fans

Chandler beasted his first couple seasons with us but dogged it big time last year, was the first guy to quit on the coach and blamed him publicly for our struggles - even if it was true, thats something you just don't do.

D-Leethal
01-08-2015, 02:10 PM
You're right, Phil has never won anything in the triangle with a defensive specialist with no offensive game. Other than that Rodman guy. Of course you don't run the offense through him. That would be idiotic.

JR expires next year. How is that contract untradable?

Rodman was a tremendous passer, which is the most important trait for big men in the triangle. JR's contract was untradeable without taking back an equally bad contract, because he is flat out awful this year, he has really bad knee problems for two straight seasons and brings a circus posse along with Johnny Manziel-esque media attention with him everywhere he goes.

I never said it had to be specifically to Cleveland. But say Cleveland makes the same trade, they have set the market on big men. Other teams need them as well. Oklahoma City who wants to save money sure could use a guy like Chandler who is expiring. I bet you OKC is going to trade Reggie Jackson because they don't want to spend money on him this summer. They seem like a prime trade partner right about now don't they?

Chandler makes 6X more than Jackson. If OKC wanted to go after Chandler, they could have.

mudvayne387
01-08-2015, 02:20 PM

No, not really. I'm pretty sure if OKC thought Chandler had anything left in the tank they would of called in the off season. Everyone left Chandler for dead. I truly believe Dallas was the only spot where Chandler could resurrect his career.

Chronz
01-08-2015, 02:40 PM

I feel similarly about Doc. Sure i welcomed the coach but man, has the gm crippled us.

Phil has had his finger prints on numerous blunders and it would have been more had management listened.

Like trying to trade Kobe isn't even his most costly mistake, imagine if the Lakers take Sean May over Bynum like he wanted....

No chip in 2010 imo

Chronz
01-08-2015, 02:43 PM
No, not really. I'm pretty sure if OKC thought Chandler had anything left in the tank they would of called in the off season. Everyone left Chandler for dead. I truly believe Dallas was the only spot where Chandler could resurrect his career.
I still think TC would have shown enough to garner trade interest. But youv guys are likely right in saying the lottery odds are more valuable than trading for a few role players+ late picks

Chronz
01-08-2015, 02:44 PM
Chandler beasted his first couple seasons with us but dogged it big time last year, was the first guy to quit on the coach and blamed him publicly for our struggles - even if it was true, thats something you just don't do.
I disagree
When you reach Chandlers age, you start thinking about your effort in terms of mileage.

D-Leethal
01-08-2015, 02:49 PM
I disagree
When you reach Chandlers age, you start thinking about your effort in terms of mileage.

So you are agreeing he dogged it and giving a different reason as to why?

Chronz
01-08-2015, 03:16 PM
So you are agreeing he dogged it and giving a different reason as to why?
Correct
A reason that has never raised trade value tho

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-08-2015, 04:02 PM
I still think TC would have shown enough to garner trade interest. But youv guys are likely right in saying the lottery odds are more valuable than trading for a few role players+ late picks
I have not considered Tyson improving their team which would be a negative. If that was Phil's plan then its kind of genius. The only problem with that is in the off season he said he expected to make the playoffs. Earlier this season when they were struggling, Phil commented on how the losing atmosphere might deter free agents from signing there. I'm not quite sure that Phil wanted to tank the season. If tanking was not his intention, making the Chandler trade was a bad move. But he might just have lucked out and they could get a really good pick and player.

Thumper 88
01-09-2015, 12:16 AM
Kincks fans swear they're headed in the right direction tho

KnickNyKnick
01-09-2015, 11:35 AM
You feel we could have gotten rid of JR without sweetening the pot?

pun intended? :cool:

Thumper 88
01-09-2015, 12:45 PM
Lol

Crackadalic
01-09-2015, 01:06 PM
Lol

Yes having the 5th highest payroll with Amare/Bargs and role players is much better. Man I wish we would have kept Tyson and get swept in the playoffs as an 8th seed!!!