PDA

View Full Version : Serious Question: Are the Knicks tanking ?

mudvayne387
01-05-2015, 10:17 AM
Nearly halfway through the season, the Knicks are just 1 game ahead of the 76ers in the standings. From an outside perspective, do you really buy that the Knicks are this bad ? I know the roster is void of talent, but to have one more win than a team that is trying to lose games on purpose is a bit shady.

In my opinion, Phil's plan all along was to try and be competitive through the first 20 games or so (which they were). If it didn't amount to a .500 record then it was time for plan B. Shutting down Melo and announcing to the world that he may miss the rest of the season was a sly way of saying "We need a top 3 pick".

Essentially no matter what, this entire season was going to be a waste. They were either going to hang around the 9th-10th seed and get a mediocre draft pick. Or they were going to be painful to watch but have a shot at landing a top 3 pick.

So honestly, in Phil's defense which is better for the franchise long term ? Remember, they do not own their own pick for next year.

With ample cap space next summer, a dominate scorer in Melo, and a few young role players already in place, they have a realistic shot at building a decent playoff team for next year. This doesn't mean forming a "big 3", this means drafting a player like Okafor to pair with Melo. And then filling in the roster with solid players like Green, Harris, or Monroe.

To me, this looks like your run of the mill tank job, but what do you guys think ?

nycericanguy
01-05-2015, 10:21 AM
dont think they intended too initially, but they certainly are now.

Just look at the lineups they've been running out there.

I think most of the injured guys on the bench would be playing if their record was better.

Its for the best though, I didn't think NY would be bad enough to tank... but now at 5-31... there is real hope of landing Okafor. And that's much better than winning 40 games.

knicks havent had a top 5 pick in my lifetime, this is the year to do it... it would be amazing to go into next year with Melo, a top pick and all that cap space. good blend of youth and experience.

mudvayne387
01-05-2015, 10:35 AM
dont think they intended too initially, but they certainly are now.

Just look at the lineups they've been running out there.

I think most of the injured guys on the bench would be playing if their record was better.

Its for the best though, I didn't think NY would be bad enough to tank... but now at 5-31... there is real hope of landing Okafor. And that's much better than winning 40 games.

knicks havent had a top 5 pick in my lifetime, this is the year to do it... it would be amazing to go into next year with Melo, a top pick and all that cap space. good blend of youth and experience.

Yes, I forgot to mention that. Even in their close games late in the 4th, Fisher's lineups border on insanity.

GiantsSwaGG
01-05-2015, 10:43 AM
They suck

#tanktape

jaydubb
01-05-2015, 10:56 AM
I think they are tanking

MJL80
01-05-2015, 11:02 AM
Injure haven't helped.... the last few games Melo, Amre Hardway, Shumpert, Dalembert have all been out, not going to beat anyone when you're that depleted.

Fisher has lost this team. With the exception of Melo, Hardaway, and Aldrich I wouldn't bring any of these bums back next year

mudvayne387
01-05-2015, 11:03 AM
I think they are tanking..

I also think they forgot that they don't have their 1st round pick this next draft... :hide:

Yes they do.

They don't own their 2016 1st

jaydubb
01-05-2015, 11:09 AM
Yes they do.

They don't own their 2016 1st

Oh yea it's 2016 when they swap with Denver.. Haha! My fault

mudvayne387
01-05-2015, 11:12 AM
Injure haven't helped.... the last few games Melo, Amre Hardway, Shumpert, Dalembert have all been out, not going to beat anyone when you're that depleted.

Fisher has lost this team. With the exception of Melo, Hardaway, and Aldrich I wouldn't bring any of these bums back next year

I agree, but I also think they have players on their roster that other teams might target in a trade.

Dalembert would be useful to a team like the Cavs
Shumpert is an expiring and could provide bench depth to a playoff team
JR Smith is relatively cheap and could add offense to a team like the Pacers
Calderon is still a savy PG who would be a fine backup on most playoff teams

So believe it or not, there is still some value on the roster. Even if they packaged a few of the above + cash for another late 1st it would be a win.

RLundi
01-05-2015, 11:21 AM
At first I don't think they meant to tank, but because they are terrible, they really have no purpose other than to try to get a high pick. They need to retool I think. If they get a top 5 pick, they should attempt to trade it for pieces, be it a solid veteran presence or a stud defensive stopper. They should go all-in on Marc Gasol and commit to getting a defensive paint stopper. I think Melo is a good player but not the leader of a playoff team. If Gasol can be the number one option, Melo as the number two and they acquire a defensive anchor and commit to defense, they can be a playoff team again. They have a bunch of mismatched pieces, but it only takes one player to turn everything around. And perhaps a new coach.

LongIslandIcedZ
01-05-2015, 11:23 AM
I think the original plan was to be good. They then realized that they werent very good. After that, they realized they were downright awful. And now they are tanking.

mudvayne387
01-05-2015, 11:27 AM
At first I don't think they meant to tank, but because they are terrible, they really have no purpose other than to try to get a high pick. They need to retool I think. If they get a top 5 pick, they should attempt to trade it for pieces, be it a solid veteran presence or a stud defensive stopper. They should go all-in on Marc Gasol and commit to getting a defensive paint stopper. I think Melo is a good player but not the leader of a playoff team. If Gasol can be the number one option, Melo as the number two and they acquire a defensive anchor and commit to defense, they can be a playoff team again. They have a bunch of mismatched pieces, but it only takes one player to turn everything around. And perhaps a new coach.

If they have a chance to pick: Okafor, Mundiay, Towns, or even Johnson, you don't trade them.

All four of those guys have potential to be all-star NBA players.

They have a ton of cap space next summer. Their best bet is to hopefully land either Okafor or Mundiay and fill in the roster with solid starters. If they can land Aldridge, Gasol, or even Rondo then great. If not, the market is flooded with non-max talent.

RLundi
01-05-2015, 11:38 AM
If they have a chance to pick: Okafor, Mundiay, Towns, or even Johnson, you don't trade them.

All four of those guys have potential to be all-star NBA players.

They have a ton of cap space next summer. Their best bet is to hopefully land either Okafor or Mundiay and fill in the roster with solid starters. If they can land Aldridge, Gasol, or even Rondo then great. If not, the market is flooded with non-max talent.

Here is the truth: Melo will not stick around for a rebuild. I don't see him wanting to wait for a Towns or Okafor to take years to develop during Melo's prime years. He will want a veteran that will help him win now. Yes, they may be mortgaging their future, but to keep Melo happy, I think they may do that. Otherwise, I could see him asking to be traded.

Also, I don't think the Knicks will attract much top-tier talent. Aldridge is not leaving Portland, they shouldn't even touch Rondo, but I think Gasol may be had to be honest, especially if Calderon is there. Non-max talent will not help this team; they already have a bunch of that and they've gotten nowhere, save for one miraculous season...

InRoseWeTrust
01-05-2015, 11:38 AM
I think the original plan was to be good. They then realized that they werent very good. After that, they realized they were downright awful. And now they are tanking.

I think this pretty much wraps it up. I think they probably came into the season with a few new pieces after the deal with Dallas and figured they'd give it a go. It would appear that Phil/Fish/whatever other powers there are have agreed to let this season die, though, which makes sense given they own their pick this year and need the talent.

Goose17
01-05-2015, 12:34 PM
I don't think they planned on it but they definitely are now.

DarkKnight
01-05-2015, 01:05 PM
tank tank tank

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-05-2015, 01:17 PM
They just suck.

Badluck33
01-05-2015, 01:20 PM
They are really bad. So bad that I think 'tanking' is an excuse. Derrick Fisher sucks as a coach, lineups are bad and that contract they gave melo....

WHOOPS!

FraziersKnicks
01-05-2015, 01:28 PM
Here is the truth: Melo will not stick around for a rebuild. I don't see him wanting to wait for a Towns or Okafor to take years to develop during Melo's prime years. He will want a veteran that will help him win now. Yes, they may be mortgaging their future, but to keep Melo happy, I think they may do that. Otherwise, I could see him asking to be traded.

Also, I don't think the Knicks will attract much top-tier talent. Aldridge is not leaving Portland, they shouldn't even touch Rondo, but I think Gasol may be had to be honest, especially if Calderon is there. Non-max talent will not help this team; they already have a bunch of that and they've gotten nowhere, save for one miraculous season...

But Melo is signed for another 5 years, it's not like he's a free agent and he's gonna jump ship.

If the Knicks draft Okafor, Mudiay, Towns or Johnson they won't trade them. We have $28m in cap space which is enough for two all-star level players or a max guy and a high level starter.

Although this season is looking very bleak we could potentially go into next season with a lineup like:

PG: Reggie Jackson/Goran Dragic
SG: Tim Hardaway Jr.
SF: Carmelo Anthony
PF: Greg Monroe/Paul Millsap
C: Jahlil Okafor

Or...

PG: Jose Calderon
SG: Wesley Matthews
PF: Jahlil Okafor/Karl Towns
C: Marc Gasol

Or even a smaller lineup with Melo at the 4:

PG: Emmanuel Mudiay
SF: Tobias Harris/Jeff Green
PF: Carmelo Anthony
C: DeAndre Jordan/Roy Hibbert

The first two teams have enough playoff experience and established players to work right away and the second team would have a good mix of youth and experience and offense and defense. They're all obviously best case scenarios but I don't think it's unreasonable to think the Knicks wouldn't be able to sign two $13-14m a year contributors.

There's a few max level players available but there are enough high level contributors the Knicks can go after to build a really solid team going into next season. Many teams have proven you don't need a "big 3" to succeed in the NBA so hopefully Phil can put together a balanced, deep team with the cap room this coming offseason.

mudvayne387
01-05-2015, 01:46 PM
But Melo is signed for another 5 years, it's not like he's a free agent and he's gonna jump ship.

If the Knicks draft Okafor, Mudiay, Towns or Johnson they won't trade them. We have $28m in cap space which is enough for two all-star level players or a max guy and a high level starter.

Although this season is looking very bleak we could potentially go into next season with a lineup like:

Or...

The first two teams have enough playoff experience and established players to work right away and the second team would have a good mix of youth and experience and offense and defense. They're all obviously best case scenarios but I don't think it's unreasonable to think the Knicks wouldn't be able to sign two $13-14m a year contributors.

There's a few max level players available but there are enough high level contributors the Knicks can go after to build a really solid team going into next season. Many teams have proven you don't need a "big 3" to succeed in the NBA so hopefully Phil can put together a balanced, deep team with the cap room this coming offseason.

Exactly.

Anyone of those three teams should theoretically compete for a top 4-5 seed in the East. And we aren't talking about pipe dream scenarios either. Those are players that can realistically be had in the off season.

AlixGx
01-05-2015, 01:52 PM
They had a starting lineup of:

SG: Pablo Prigioni
SF: J.R. Smith
PF: Jason Smith
C: Cole Aldrich

That explains it all.

Crackadalic
01-05-2015, 02:16 PM
They just suck.

This

albertajaysfan
01-05-2015, 02:22 PM
Oh yea it's 2016 when they swap with Denver.. Haha! My fault

Denver gets the better pick and Toronto gets the worse pick.

2-ONE-5
01-05-2015, 02:27 PM
the Knicks are tanking but its ok for teams outside of Philly to tank.

abe_froman
01-05-2015, 02:41 PM
they didnt start out that way,but they are now

RLundi
01-05-2015, 02:56 PM

Or...

Even if Melo is signed for the forseeable future, you know as well as I do that he can demand a trade or completely shut down and quit. He's essentially doing that now with (probably) sitting out for the season.

Will the Knicks be able to even afford these potential lineups? A quick check reveals they are about $25M below the cap right? Isn't that without J.R.'s player option and team options on Larkin, Shumpert and Hardaway, which I'm sure they pick up? Not to mention the $4M or so they give to Okafor in your scenario.

Your first lineup: I think Dragic gets the max but not Reggie Jackson, though he may be close. Monroe will get the max. In that case, I don't think New York signs both Dragic and Monroe, though I could see Monroe and Jackson, although I think Detroit goes all out in trying to keep Monroe.

Your second lineup: I can see this lineup happening, but the Knicks will be extremely tight and have trouble filling out the rest of the roster.

Your third linuep: Probably the most realistic and cost-effective, but in this scenario I don't see this being a playoff team. I think they're better off trading the pick to be perfectly honest. It's not as preposterous a notion as you think. The Cavs just did it with Wiggins and I think in order not maximize Melo's prime, they should make a move.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-05-2015, 02:57 PM
They had a starting lineup of:

SG: Pablo Prigioni
SF: J.R. Smith
PF: Jason Smith
C: Cole Aldrich

That explains it all.
Whole season?

GiantsSwaGG
01-05-2015, 03:06 PM
the Knicks are tanking but its ok for teams outside of Philly to tank.

It's unacceptable for any team to tank purposely. Knicks tried to win and figured out they suck balls. They're still trying to win. Sixers are tanking on purpose, the Knicks suck balls.

Sixers>Knicks even with the sixer tanking on purpose

effen5
01-05-2015, 03:14 PM
I don't think they are tanking. I think they are just this bad.

Munkeysuit
01-05-2015, 03:17 PM
I honestly don't watch enough Knicks games to give any real opinion on tanking, however, looking over their roster I can safely say that they do have the wrong mixture of dudes playing in the current triangle system.

DoMeFavors
01-05-2015, 03:42 PM
Phil Jackson and Derek Fisher in 3 yrs when both are fired will be swimming in money Dolan was stupid enough to give them while Knicks continue to have one of the worst records.

jimm120
01-05-2015, 04:11 PM
They knew they'd struggle to start the season. Phil, Fisher, AND Melo all said, "its going to be a struggle to make the playoffs, but we believe that we'll recover enough to make a strong push". Something akin to that.

Now, they're much worse than expected. They opted to start tanking officially in the past week.

mudvayne387
01-05-2015, 04:13 PM
Phil Jackson and Derek Fisher in 3 yrs when both are fired will be swimming in money Dolan was stupid enough to give them while Knicks continue to have one of the worst records.

Yes because neither Jsckson nor Fisher had enough money saved to live out the rest of their lives. It was all an elaborate get rich quick scheme. I can't believe I didn't think of that...

allday823
01-05-2015, 04:19 PM

How old are you honestly? 16?17? Your conspiracy theories and trolling are outrageous and nothing short of stupid

DoMeFavors
01-05-2015, 04:28 PM
They knew they'd struggle to start the season. Phil, Fisher, AND Melo all said, "its going to be a struggle to make the playoffs, but we believe that we'll recover enough to make a strong push". Something akin to that.

Now, they're much worse than expected. They opted to start tanking officially in the past week.

Ugh no, Phil said he expects to make playoffs . Knicks have 5 wins

FraziersKnicks
01-05-2015, 04:31 PM
Even if Melo is signed for the forseeable future, you know as well as I do that he can demand a trade or completely shut down and quit. He's essentially doing that now with (probably) sitting out for the season.

Will the Knicks be able to even afford these potential lineups? A quick check reveals they are about $25M below the cap right? Isn't that without J.R.'s player option and team options on Larkin, Shumpert and Hardaway, which I'm sure they pick up? Not to mention the $4M or so they give to Okafor in your scenario.

The Knicks currently have about $46m commited going into 2015. Shump's $4m will either be traded or not picked up I'm assuming. Acy and Wear have team options for about $2.5m combined which won't be picked up. Hardaway's option doesn't kick in until 2016 and Larkin doesn't have a qualifying offer. So if the Knicks stand pat between now and the transfer deadline (which I can't see happening) they'll have about $40m in contracts.

The projected cap for 2015-16 is about $66m which leaves the Knicks with about $26m to spend. Assuming they draft a top 3 pick, that's $5m. Which leaves $21m. I think between now and then they'll do a bit of tinkering to free up some more cap space hopefully finding a buyer for JR.

Your first lineup: I think Dragic gets the max but not Reggie Jackson, though he may be close. Monroe will get the max. In that case, I don't think New York signs both Dragic and Monroe, though I could see Monroe and Jackson, although I think Detroit goes all out in trying to keep Monroe.

Your second lineup: I can see this lineup happening, but the Knicks will be extremely tight and have trouble filling out the rest of the roster.

Your third linuep: Probably the most realistic and cost-effective, but in this scenario I don't see this being a playoff team. I think they're better off trading the pick to be perfectly honest. It's not as preposterous a notion as you think. The Cavs just did it with Wiggins and I think in order not maximize Melo's prime, they should make a move.

I personally don't think Dragic or Monroe get the max but who knows. I see Gasol getting the max, but other than that I see all the other guys around $10-12m per. Dragic might get a bit more and so will DeAndre probably but I think they could get two of any of the others within their budget. The beauty of the upcoming free agency is there is a lot of solid $10-12m talent available. Not many headliners but a lot of quality starters.

As a Knicks fan I would be extremely annoyed if we traded the pick unless it centres around a package for Anthony Davis and I think most Knick fans would agree with me. The Cavs situation is completely different. I don't think LeBron signs for the Cavs unless they tell him beforehand they're gonna aggressively pursue a trade for Love with Wiggins.

If Melo wants to demand a trade, let him. After passing on the Bulls (the absolute perfect place for him) he obviously wants to be in NY. His life is here and I think he's accepted that he'll probably retire a Knick. I can guarantee this Knicks team will look a lot better next year and then there's an even bigger projected cap rise. As bad as this season is, the future for the Knicks really isn't looking that bad.

GIANTKNICK
01-05-2015, 04:43 PM
Better be! We in the Master P No Limit Tank

2-ONE-5
01-05-2015, 05:01 PM
It's unacceptable for any team to tank purposely. Knicks tried to win and figured out they suck balls. They're still trying to win. Sixers are tanking on purpose, the Knicks suck balls.

Sixers>Knicks even with the sixer tanking on purpose

Sixers are trying to win too. There is no way an Anthony led team should have more losses than the Sixers unless you are in fact tanking

2-ONE-5
01-05-2015, 05:04 PM
i also think its really funny the 5-31 Knicks fans think they can just sign all of these top free agents next year.

FraziersKnicks
01-05-2015, 05:27 PM
i also think its really funny the 5-31 Knicks fans think they can just sign all of these top free agents next year.

Where have any Knicks fans said it would be easy?

These are all absolute best case scenarios. The draft pick is there. The players are there. The cap room is there. No one said this will be easy.

It's just clear to see the Knicks actually have a reasonably bright future considering how bad they've been this season.

If a Cavs fan had told you they would trade for Love and sign LeBron 6 months ago when they had just finished a 33-49 season you would've laughed. Strangers things have happened.

lamzoka
01-05-2015, 05:27 PM

Why shouldn't we? We'll have as much cap as any other team in the league plus a top 3 pick.

FraziersKnicks
01-05-2015, 05:28 PM
Sixers are trying to win too. There is no way an Anthony led team should have more losses than the Sixers unless you are in fact tanking

That's why they keep drafting injured players and putting out a D-League lineup every night.

GiantsSwaGG
01-05-2015, 05:30 PM

In free agent would be stupid to sign with the Knicks if they're trying to win now, but wait Melo resign with the Knicks when he could of signed with the Bulls, why is that?

GiantsSwaGG
01-05-2015, 05:32 PM

Kevin Love (who PSD says is a better player) never got the Wolves to the playoffs.

This team sucks, even LeBron wouldn't be able to win more games

lamzoka
01-05-2015, 05:36 PM
I rather be in the position that the knicks are than being of a middle of the pack team.

Some teams have no picks, no cap space and a first rd exit at best.

AlixGx
01-05-2015, 08:50 PM
Whole season?

Just a recent game cause of Samuel's nagging injury, Melo out, Amare out, so they have to roll with what they have lol sadly it's no good

LA_Raiders
01-05-2015, 09:38 PM
Full tank mode, and it's not even funny. They saw that they sucked and they shut it down.

Where is the Comish when needed???

KnickNyKnick
01-05-2015, 10:06 PM
TANKING, if you cant see that now then you havent been watching.

When You have undrafted players like travis wear in vital minutes close to the end of games you're doing something else (developing youths ), not trying to win.

2-ONE-5
01-05-2015, 10:11 PM
Why shouldn't we? We'll have as much cap as any other team in the league plus a top 3 pick.

so do the Sixers. ill leave it at that

That's why they keep drafting injured players and putting out a D-League lineup every night.

yet have 1 less win and less losses than the Knicks. Oh yea not to mention we develop our young talent as good as anyone the last 2 years.

In free agent would be stupid to sign with the Knicks if they're trying to win now, but wait Melo resign with the Knicks when he could of signed with the Bulls, why is that?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Kevin Love (who PSD says is a better player) never got the Wolves to the playoffs.

lol ok man whatever makes you feel better

infernoscurse
01-05-2015, 10:17 PM
lets stop being ignorant, they are clearly going for it

Crackadalic
01-05-2015, 10:18 PM
If we werent before we are now

Tony_Starks
01-05-2015, 10:34 PM
The sad part is they are seriously not tanking. They are trying to win.

MJL80
01-05-2015, 10:35 PM
Melo will most likely be shutdown for the remainder of the year after the trade of Iman and JR, what's the point of him playing and risking further injury (as I type this they're down by 22 in the 3rd to the Grizz)

TheNumber37
01-05-2015, 10:37 PM
They are not tanking in the sense that they are just looking at next year at this point.
Saving money, steering the direction of their development to young players.

blahblahyoutoo
01-05-2015, 10:51 PM

they were really bad long before these guys got injured.

blahblahyoutoo
01-05-2015, 10:55 PM

west vs the worst division in the worst conf in the history of the NBA.
not to mention worst start in franchise history.

2-ONE-5
01-05-2015, 11:22 PM
lol Sixers win tonight and send the Knicks to last place but yea they arent tanking.

Vampirate
01-05-2015, 11:27 PM
They are out tanking Tankephilia so far lol.

LongIslandIcedZ
01-06-2015, 12:22 AM
I think they've been tanking for the last few weeks. Prior to that they were trying, they just weren't good.

Kaner
01-06-2015, 03:17 AM
west vs the worst division in the worst conf in the history of the NBA.
not to mention worst start in franchise history.

I know it's a bit off topic but this is just wrong. 4 teams on pace for 55+ wins and the Cavs. The eastern conference is as strong as it's been in years.

Sanjay
01-06-2015, 07:18 PM
I know it's a bit off topic but this is just wrong. 4 teams on pace for 55+ wins and the Cavs. The eastern conference is as strong as it's been in years.

Statistically you are right. I think everybody says the East is so bad because the West is so good/there is a disparity. For example, if the conferences were combined, it would be hard to put any Eastern Conference teams in the top 8. Sure, many people will say the Bulls have to be there and they probably are, but it would be tough to pick the Raptors or Wizards over the Grizzlies or Mavericks. The West is also much deeper than the East (10 really good teams compared to 3 - can't include the Cavs with the way they are playing at the moment).

andy2518
01-06-2015, 07:23 PM
I think yes. Phil probably knows this team has no chance and will rather take his chances in the lottery.