PDA

View Full Version : Hawks are being sold.

Goose17
01-02-2015, 01:08 PM
Just got the notification via team stream. Sale begins next week.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/1/2/7481263/atlanta-hawks-sale-finalized

The Seattle Hawks... coming soon. Lol.

"Levenson leads a Washington-based group that owns a 50.1 percent stake in the Hawks. An Atlanta-based group made up of Michael Gearon Jr. and Sr., Rutherford Seydel and Beau Turner own 32.3 percent of the franchise while a New York-based group led by Steven Price owns the remaining 17.6 percent. The agreement reached allows the full 100 percent of the Hawks to be sold, not just Levenson's majority that was previously on sale."

Chronz
01-02-2015, 01:30 PM
FINALLY
They have had the worst fan base for years now

Celticsfan2007
01-02-2015, 01:46 PM
I think Vermont should get an NBA franchise LOL

Draco
01-02-2015, 01:47 PM
Mexico.. We the South.

Ezio
01-02-2015, 02:55 PM
I thought Usher owned part of the team?

Tony_Starks
01-02-2015, 03:06 PM
Being sold, not relocating. Didn't we go though this with the Bucks, then the Clippers already?

LakersIn5
01-02-2015, 03:06 PM
Move them to the philippines

abe_froman
01-02-2015, 03:13 PM
doubtful they move...just yet anyways.i was reading how they owe money to atlanta and the cost of buying out their lease would take between 150-200m to leave the city before 2019.but with the right ownership group they could ingratiate themselves with the pop of the city to increase the revenue that lays dormant there

smith&wesson
01-02-2015, 03:27 PM
Hawks fans don't deserve a team lol.. they are one of the best teams in the east but you would never know it looking at the stadium .. theres no buzz

smith&wesson
01-02-2015, 03:29 PM
Mexico.. We the South.

lol this made me laugh..

smith&wesson
01-02-2015, 03:31 PM
Seattle's NFL team is called the Seahawks maybe their new nba name could be the Hawks.. why not.

Goose17
01-02-2015, 03:46 PM
doubtful they move...just yet anyways.i was reading how they owe money to atlanta and the cost of buying out their lease would take between 150-200m to leave the city before 2019.but with the right ownership group they could ingratiate themselves with the pop of the city to increase the revenue that lays dormant there

If they're paying 700mil-1billion for the team, you think coughing up an extra 200 mil will be an issue?

c.c.
01-02-2015, 03:54 PM
I doubt that the Hawks are relocating but if they do relocate I can see the Pelicans or Grizzlies moving from Southwest to Southeast. While the city of Seattle regain a franchise.

M.I.A.
01-02-2015, 04:01 PM
Hawks fans don't deserve a team lol.. they are one of the best teams in the east but you would never know it looking at the stadium .. theres no buzz

I was at a Hawks game not long ago and the place was sold out and rocking.

Goose17
01-02-2015, 04:09 PM
I doubt that the Hawks are relocating but if they do relocate I can see the Pelicans or Grizzlies moving from Southwest to Southeast. While the city of Seattle regain a franchise.

Memphis in the South East would make things way more fun/competitive.

Shove Milwaukee or someone out West. Throw in an expansion and shuffle the divisions a little.

You're right though. I doubt they move.

Tony_Starks
01-02-2015, 05:14 PM
If they sell for a billion all the players should throw a parade. No way the owners can play that poor mans routine at the next CBA..….

Ariza's Better
01-02-2015, 05:24 PM
FINALLY
They have had the worst fan base for years now

In the Hawks fans defence, it would be hard to watch and trust a team that has been so average for the past 10 years.

Goose17
01-02-2015, 05:31 PM
In the Hawks fans defence, it would be hard to watch and trust a team that has been so average for the past 10 years.

Plenty of other teams fans manage it just fine. Dubs being one.

PurpleLynch
01-02-2015, 07:23 PM
Now,it would be really funny if Sterling decides to buy the Hawks.

M.I.A.
01-02-2015, 07:50 PM
Plenty of other teams fans manage it just fine. Dubs being one.

Other teams don't have to deal with these cheap owners.

I hope somebody who actually wants to win a title buys them. I will be glad to fly wherever to see them play if they can get good ownership.

Tony_Starks
01-02-2015, 07:51 PM
Now,it would be really funny if Sterling decides to buy the Hawks.

He'd probably want to put Confederate flags on their uniforms...

Crackadalic
01-02-2015, 08:34 PM
So are they gonna have a fire sale or just keep the team intact

Shammyguy3
01-02-2015, 08:36 PM
Would like it a lot if they relocated, you can move a number of teams in the middle of the country to the East at that point (NOP, MEM, MIN).

M.I.A.
01-02-2015, 09:25 PM
So are they gonna have a fire sale or just keep the team intact

I sure hope not. They are finally a formidable team.

jimm120
01-02-2015, 09:35 PM

when Knicks to to atlanta, 70% of the fans are knicks fans. You hear boos for the hawks. You hear cheers that are 3x louder for the knicks than the hawks.

just s

jimm120
01-02-2015, 09:36 PM
if Ballmer didn't get the clippers, I could have seen him going after the Hawks to relocate to seattle.

M.I.A.
01-02-2015, 10:22 PM
when Knicks to to atlanta, 70% of the fans are knicks fans. You hear boos for the hawks. You hear cheers that are 3x louder for the knicks than the hawks.

just s

It is because we can't stand the owners. Atlanta is the 9th largest TV market in the country. You don't understand and never will.

jimm120
01-02-2015, 10:50 PM
I sure hope not. They are finally a formidable team.

they've been a top 5 seed for many years. Last year they faltered with Horford out for the season. But Horford, with the addition of millsap, seems to have done the trick.

M.I.A.
01-02-2015, 11:09 PM
they've been a top 5 seed for many years. Last year they faltered with Horford out for the season. But Horford, with the addition of millsap, seems to have done the trick.

They haven't been a top 5 seed for years. You are mistaken.

Chronz
01-02-2015, 11:59 PM

That's not much of a defense imo.

*Silver&Black*
01-03-2015, 12:03 AM
Hawks are not moving. You know how much extra it will cost a new owner to move the Hawks out of Atlanta?

Seattle will most likely drive up the price in a bidding war, but if someone wants to move them out of Atlanta, a big market and home of Turner Sports, NBA's TV partner, it will be costly, as they can't possibly move from Phillips until the 2018-2019 season.

ASG selling is the biggest positive for the future success of this team. They were about the $, and not winning. With a pure winning culture built by Ferry and Bud, a new owner in hopes of winning will push the success further.

Very happy about this news.

Chronz
01-03-2015, 12:15 AM

just s

Happens with the Lakers too. Think i Remember it happening with the Bulls for abit too.

I feel like people don't really live in Atlanta, they're just visiting for awhile

M.I.A.
01-03-2015, 01:26 AM
It is because we can't stand the owners. Atlanta is the 9th largest TV market in the country so population isn't the problem. You don't understand and never will.

They could have had Dwight Howard if they had just forked up the green. Just imagine how good we'd be if we had him. Instead they piss their money away on themselves. Winning a title isn't in their dreams, they couldn't care less.

GoferKing_
01-03-2015, 08:38 AM
If they're paying 700mil-1billion for the team, you think coughing up an extra 200 mil will be an issue?

Rich people do not stay rich by throwing money away... 200 mil is like 1/4 of the price.

GThawks
01-03-2015, 02:18 PM

just s

Unfortunately it's like that with the Falcons and Braves too(only when the ATL teams aren't good). Hawks played the Knicks the beginning of the season before people knew how good they'd be. Ever since the Hawks have been winning games the arena has been selling out.

0% chance the Hawks move from ATL.

Goose17
01-04-2015, 05:04 AM
Rich people do not stay rich by throwing money away... 200 mil is like 1/4 of the price.

With three or four separate investment groups it wouldn't be so severe on any individuals pocket.

Chronz
01-04-2015, 06:20 AM
They aint moving, I wouldn't spend that much even if I had the money. Why not just wait the lease out?

Goose17
01-04-2015, 11:49 AM
They aint moving, I wouldn't spend that much even if I had the money. Why not just wait the lease out?

True. And I agree. Just saying there's a difference between it being improbable and impossible.

Corey
01-04-2015, 12:40 PM
They haven't been a top 5 seed for years. You are mistaken.

6 seed last year with Horford out much of the year.

5 seed in 2011-12.

4 seed in 2010-11.

3 seed in 2009-10.

4 seed in 2008-9.

Ill have what you're having. They've been pretty consistent.

TheNumber37
01-05-2015, 09:36 AM
This all but means the Horford, Milsap experiment is done.

Vampirate
01-05-2015, 12:06 PM

5 seed in 2011-12.

4 seed in 2010-11.

3 seed in 2009-10.

4 seed in 2008-9.

To be fair they haven't ever had a team that could actually have the best record in the Eastern Conference, they had some good teams, but at the pace they are on now this season looks special.

M.I.A.
01-06-2015, 09:49 PM

5 seed in 2011-12.

4 seed in 2010-11.

3 seed in 2009-10.

4 seed in 2008-9.

I know that your last year's stat is wrong. They were the eighth seed. You sure the rest of your numbers are right?

M.I.A.
01-06-2015, 09:54 PM
8-6-5-5-3

So they were and I was wrong.

Saddletramp
01-06-2015, 10:21 PM
Even if they bought them this year, it wouldn't possibly ready to move for a few years. Has Seattle replaced the Key Arena yet (I honestly don't know)? And is that $200 million(ish) buy out go down every year or is it a $200 million flat buyout? I could see them being bought this year and moving in time for the 2017-2018 season with less of a buyout number (if that's the case).

Move the Pelicans to the SE, the Hawks to the NW and the Thunder to the SW. Boom.

nbafanofall
01-07-2015, 04:31 AM
Hey guys I am new to the forum and unable to post my own threads as a newbie/rook.
I do not mean to hijack this thread by any means. I did however want to point out that the sale of the Hawks as well as the Hawks being a true contender or not, Jeff Teague's rise to stardom and other Hawks news were discussed in detail in the newest episode of a brand new NBA Podcast I am interning for called - Pooh on Sports NBA Podcast. They drop a new 'cast every friday at 5pm just in time for your commute home.

A little bit about the podcast for those who are interested (I stole this off of their Reddit Page):
Pooh on Sports NBA Podcast is a Podcast hosted by The Rapper Big Pooh formerly of Little Brother. The legendary hip hop group Little Brother consisted of 9th Wonder (the producer of the group who is also known for his work with Jay Z, Destiny's Child, Erykah Badu etc) & Emcees Phonte (also of The Foreign Exchange with producer Nicolay) & Rapper Big Pooh. Little Brother has worked with the likes of Kanye West, Drake, Lil Wayne and many more. 1/3 of the now dismantled group, Rapper Big Pooh, has now along with co-hosts Drew Hepburn & Vince Po started a weekly NBA Podcast. The podcast features the latest in NBA news, trades and rumors. The weekly 'cast also features the hottest tracks currently in independent hip hop. J.E Skeets formerly of the Basketball Jones and currently of NBA TV's The Starters is a supporter of the show and is likely going to appear on a later episode as a guest. As the show progresses the addition of a guest host or interview will be worked into the program. Rumored as guests are many legendary names in Hip Hop such as - Phife Dawg from A Tribe Called Quest, Truck North of The Roots Crew, 9th Wonder, Bun B of UGK, R&B singer Anthony David and many many more and current NBA players - Jabari Parker & John Wall are also rumored to be in the works. The show can be found on all major podcast apps and sites as well as at their soundcloud page - https://soundcloud.com/poohonsports You can also find and follow the show on social media - https://www.facebook.com/poohonsports https://twitter.com/poohonsports
Remember to rate, follow and subscribe. Also remember to tell a friend to tell a friend to tell a friend and help support authentic sports talk & real hip hop.

M.I.A.
01-07-2015, 08:46 AM
Memphis in the South East would make things way more fun/competitive.

Shove Milwaukee or someone out West. Throw in an expansion and shuffle the divisions a little.

You're right though. I doubt they move.

The Hawks moving anywhere is just a pipe dream right now.

xgnxhjh
01-07-2015, 11:33 AM
They have had the worst fan base for years now http://ehealthca.com/hu12uk1.jpg http://ehealthca.com/ipad/images/123.gif

InRoseWeTrust
01-07-2015, 11:47 AM
http://blog.seattlepi.com/sonics/2015/01/06/report-chris-hansen-thomas-tull-planning-bids-to-bring-nbas-atlanta-hawks-to-seattle/

thomass
01-07-2015, 12:09 PM
The hawks are NOT moving. I live in atl and have season tickets to the Hawks. The leaders of the organization have guaranteed us that the franchise is NOT moving. This is a huge market, no matter how much you bash Hawks fans. Plus the ceo of coca cola is looking to place a bid to buy the Hawks (coke is based out of atl)

M.I.A.
01-07-2015, 12:59 PM
The hawks are NOT moving. I live in atl and have season tickets to the Hawks. The leaders of the organization have guaranteed us that the franchise is NOT moving. This is a huge market, no matter how much you bash Hawks fans. Plus the ceo of coca cola is looking to place a bid to buy the Hawks (coke is based out of atl)

:clap::rock:

JustinTime
01-07-2015, 02:17 PM
Move the Hawks to Vancouver

M.I.A.
01-07-2015, 03:40 PM
Move the Hawks to Vancouver

Move Vancouver to Atlanta.

JustinTime
01-08-2015, 03:20 PM
Move Vancouver to Atlanta.

They wish.

M.I.A.
01-08-2015, 03:38 PM
They wish.

Especially right about now.

JustinTime
01-08-2015, 04:06 PM
Especially right about now.

It's warmer in Vancouver right now than Atlanta is that normal?

torocan
01-08-2015, 09:56 PM
There's no way the Hawks are being moved this season.

#1 in the East.
Selling out games.
Elite coach on the bench.
Record sales prices for teams (increasing the cost of a move)

This isn't the Bucks where you could make a theoretical argument that the market can't support the team. Atlanta (when the fans actually like a team) has enough population and money to support a NBA team. And unlike previous years, the Hawks are actually putting a product that's not only winning but LIKABLE on the floor.

People keep saying that if a team is winning the fan base will come out... that's only part of the equation. To really get a fan base really motivated to spend the bucks they have to LIKE the team as well.

Right now, the Hawks have the most likable team in years... heck, I'm not even a Hawks fan and find myself tuning into Hawks games on league pass just to watch how Coach Bud and the team are progressing. I can tell you for a fact that in years past I would have rather had a root canal that be forced to watch Woodson and JJ run another ISO-Joe set.

Yes, the Hawks had good records in previous years, but this Hawks team feels different. Ever since they brought in Budenholzer there's a different feel to the team. It actually feels like I'm watching a basketball Team instead of a showcase for the team's All-star...

JustinTime
01-09-2015, 02:07 AM
There's no way the Hawks are being moved this season.

#1 in the East.
Selling out games.
Elite coach on the bench.
Record sales prices for teams (increasing the cost of a move)

This isn't the Bucks where you could make a theoretical argument that the market can't support the team. Atlanta (when the fans actually like a team) has enough population and money to support a NBA team. And unlike previous years, the Hawks are actually putting a product that's not only winning but LIKABLE on the floor.

People keep saying that if a team is winning the fan base will come out... that's only part of the equation. To really get a fan base really motivated to spend the bucks they have to LIKE the team as well.

Right now, the Hawks have the most likable team in years... heck, I'm not even a Hawks fan and find myself tuning into Hawks games on league pass just to watch how Coach Bud and the team are progressing. I can tell you for a fact that in years past I would have rather had a root canal that be forced to watch Woodson and JJ run another ISO-Joe set.

Yes, the Hawks had good records in previous years, but this Hawks team feels different. Ever since they brought in Budenholzer there's a different feel to the team. It actually feels like I'm watching a basketball Team instead of a showcase for the team's All-star...

#1 in the east
#24 in Attendance
6th cheapest ticket in the league
= Move this sorry franchise

M.I.A.
01-09-2015, 08:20 AM
#1 in the east
#24 in Attendance
6th cheapest ticket in the league
= Move this sorry franchise

It isn't going to happen unless you put your money where your mouth is, buy the team and move them yourself.