PDA

View Full Version : 5-23 Pistons go 3 and 0 post Josh Smith trade

spreadeagle
12-31-2014, 02:06 PM
Smith looked good in his first game in Hou but was awful the following games. Pistons have shot 41 for 90 in three pointers in last 3 games and Jodie Meeks has been playing great getting 30 + points last night, looks like a good move on their part so far

For most of the season, the Detroit Pistons knew a lot of their problems would be cured if they just made a few shots.

They finally have the last three games, and the result is their first three-game win streak of the season after Tuesday's 109-86 triumph over the Orlando Magic.

The Pistons shot 46.5 percent from the field. It was their third consecutive game shooting 45 percent or better, which may not seem like much, except it equals the number of times they reached that threshold in their first 28 games, when they were 5-23.

Pistons coach Stan Van Gundy said he expects his perceived basketball I.Q. to increase if shots continue to fall.

"When guys are making shots, you look like you can really coach, you really do --'Oh, yeah, that was a nice play they just ran, that was a great decision.' All those things look great when the ball goes in the basket," Van Gundy said. "Players make you look good. Our guys are playing well." http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2014/12/detroit_pistons_notes_just_luk.html

Vampirate
12-31-2014, 02:20 PM
How is scoring 21 points on 21 shots count as good?

Hawkeye15
12-31-2014, 02:21 PM
any shot attempt taken from Smith this year and given to someone else is a good thing.

LionsFan..LOL
12-31-2014, 02:24 PM
Josh seemed like a good person so nothing personal but I'm sure as **** glad he's gone. I get its a 3 game sample and I fully expect some struggles coming up but at the very least this team is fun to watch again. It not a chore as a fan to watch the Pistons play. Hopefully they can someone find a way to sneak into the playoffs. We'll be bounced right away but its been seemingly forever since the Pistons have been in the playoffs. I want to watch meaningful postseason basketball (to me).

Hawkeye15
12-31-2014, 02:26 PM
How is scoring 21 points on 21 shots count as good?

da pointsssssssssssss!

actually 21 on 21 is an improvement for his this year...

My friend in Houston texted me, "please trade Smith now".

Vampirate
12-31-2014, 02:27 PM
any shot attempt taken from Smith this year and given to someone else is a good thing.

Even over Rubio? I'm playing Devil's Advocate here trying to see if there's absolutely noone you'd rather Smith taking a shot over.

Vampirate
12-31-2014, 02:29 PM
Josh seemed like a good person so nothing personal but I'm sure as **** glad he's gone. I get its a 3 game sample and I fully expect some struggles coming up but at the very least this team is fun to watch again. It not a chore as a fan to watch the Pistons play. Hopefully they can someone find a way to sneak into the playoffs. We'll be bounced right away but its been seemingly forever since the Pistons have been in the playoffs. I want to watch meaningful postseason basketball (to me).

At this point would getting Drummond experience in the playoffs be more important than getting the pick?

Hawkeye15
12-31-2014, 02:32 PM
Even over Rubio? I'm playing Devil's Advocate here trying to see if there's absolutely noone you'd rather Smith taking a shot over.

Rubio wouldn't shoot it, but for sure I would

slaker619
12-31-2014, 02:47 PM
Smith was taking OD bad shoots not shocked doing better

nycericanguy
12-31-2014, 02:48 PM
Josh Smith 29 points on 34 FGA since joining HOU...:laugh:

I thought Morey was an advanced stats guy? He's now going to have Smith and Ariza who is almost as bad offensively... in the starting lineup together? Ariza shooting 36%, I believe the lowest % of any 10ppg scorer in the entire league.

LionsFan..LOL
12-31-2014, 02:53 PM
At this point would getting Drummond experience in the playoffs be more important than getting the pick?

The pick is nice but I think our #1 priority is to retain Monroe. If this is another lost season he is as good as gone. He might be gone anyway but if we show signs of actually winning it may be the push he needs to stay (along with all the extra $$$ he can get from us).

Hawkeye15
12-31-2014, 03:01 PM

I thought Morey was an advanced stats guy? He's now going to have Smith and Ariza who is almost as bad offensively... in the starting lineup together? Ariza shooting 36%, I believe the lowest % of any 10ppg scorer in the entire league.

For what Smith will be paid, he is fine if you control his playing time and usage.

mngopher35
12-31-2014, 03:16 PM

To be fair to ariza he is playing a role on that team as wing defender and 3 pt shooter/spread the floor. A players fg% isn't the whole story when over half of his attempts are 3 pointers.

BHF
12-31-2014, 03:23 PM
Reminds me of the Rudy Gay trade and Toronto except Detroit didn't get anything for Josh Smith.

Chronz
12-31-2014, 03:29 PM
To be fair to ariza he is playing a role on that team as wing defender and 3 pt shooter/spread the floor. A players fg% isn't the whole story when over half of his attempts are 3 pointers.

Problem is, even with all that considered, hes still not efficient. Hes no Battier thats for sure.

nycericanguy
12-31-2014, 03:43 PM

but he's also shooting 32% from 3, which is awful as well. yet he's taking more per game than even Steph Curry!

Actually I think ARiza might be on some sort of record pace for 3's per game attempted...

Shareeb_omac2
12-31-2014, 03:50 PM
Now they just have to find a way to get rid of Brandon Jennings.

abe_froman
12-31-2014, 03:56 PM
not surprised

Deception
12-31-2014, 04:24 PM
Reminds me of the Rudy Gay trade and Toronto except Detroit didn't get anything for Josh Smith.
I said the same thing, except Houston was already good but potentially got worse.

Now they just have to find a way to get rid of Brandon Jennings.
Jennings stats after Smith trade
14.7 per game
6 assists
46% from the field

Shareeb_omac2
12-31-2014, 04:55 PM
Brandon Jennings career high for field goal percentage on an entire season is 41.8% in 11'-12' and that was the only time in his CAREER he shot above 40% lol.

2009: 37.1%
2010: 39%
2011: 41.8%
2012: 39.9%
2013: 37.3%
2014: 38.4%

Yes he's that bad.

bucketss
12-31-2014, 05:27 PM
i hope doesn't ruin the tank

mngopher35
12-31-2014, 05:42 PM
Problem is, even with all that considered, hes still not efficient. Hes no Battier thats for sure.

but he's also shooting 32% from 3, which is awful as well. yet he's taking more per game than even Steph Curry!

Actually I think ARiza might be on some sort of record pace for 3's per game attempted...

I wasn't implying he is an efficient player, just that using fg% doesn't tell much without factoring his role as a player who shoots 3's more often than not (my guess is his .463 efg% percent which accounts for this is not the worst among players with 10ppg for example). He isn't great but your initial post didn't factor this in.

They don't need him to be a great scorer really though he is there as a role player on offense used to spread the defense, even if he is just an avg 3 shooter. His biggest value is as a wing defender and that is the type of impact they hopefully could use from josh smith. Limit his bad shots and have him play a role on the team and it can work out alright IMO. The question is will smith be accepting of a similar type of role and actually limit bad shots?

Deception
12-31-2014, 06:45 PM
Brandon Jennings career high for field goal percentage on an entire season is 41.8% in 11'-12' and that was the only time in his CAREER he shot above 40% lol.

2009: 37.1%
2010: 39%
2011: 41.8%
2012: 39.9%
2013: 37.3%
2014: 38.4%

Yes he's that bad.

I was showing his stats after the release of Smith, which is what this thread was about. Pistons shooting and scoring has increased since Smith has left. We're averaging 110 per game after averaging 93 just before. Also we set a franchise record for 3's made at 17 and Meeks almost broke a franchise record for 3's made by a player but landed short at 9 made in one game.

JV35
12-31-2014, 06:53 PM
It's about the 10th thread about this, but, OBVIOUSLY, his absence has turned the team around.

Howard_Zinn
01-01-2015, 01:39 PM
Pistons averaging 110 a game.. Drummond has been abusing teams last 3 too.. Team looks happy.. We couldn't score 95 a game before Smith left town.. Pretty happy with this team right now.

Howard_Zinn
01-01-2015, 01:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yExRMsuSCQw

Howard_Zinn
01-01-2015, 01:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlgioyVV500

Howard_Zinn
01-01-2015, 01:46 PM
Drummond is getting post moves this year too..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqX1FCJ7HEA

The ball movement and spacing is filthy for Detroit.. This isn't a fluke.. Smith killed that team that bad with how they were run.. They move the ball now.. Wide open shots all game.. When they aren't shooting Drummond is rebounding and dunking (and now looking good in the post)..

It's wonderful.

blahblahyoutoo
01-01-2015, 02:19 PM

didn't he start the season on a tear on 3pt fg?

BALLER R
01-01-2015, 03:01 PM

still a case of addition by subtraction. Team looks better so far.

tredigs
01-01-2015, 03:13 PM
Any Rockets fans want to weigh in on how they're liking him in Houston?

Jamiecballer
01-01-2015, 03:18 PM
34 points on 41 shots.... wow!

tredigs
01-01-2015, 03:27 PM
34 points on 41 shots.... wow!

I never like this stat because it's normally used in favor of talking up a persons night, like "25 points on only 12 shots!". OK, but how many possessions did he use shooting free throws? (granted that is a pretty ideal use of a possession).

That said, the Smith stat is just sad, though it's only 4 games. But, I would imagine Houston fans are already growing weary of their unbreakable faith in Morey on this one.

Saddletramp
01-02-2015, 01:33 AM
It's been three games. I'd rather have him come off the bench but I don't know if that's going to happen. His first game he didn't know the plays and just winged it; the Rockets probably wouldn't have won that game (@ Memphis) without him doing some of the stuff he did (sweet passes on drives, crucial rebounds in overtime, clutch free throws....). These last two games haven't been as pretty, but like I said, it's been three games.

Still wish he'd come off the bench, though but with the 4 and 5 spots hopefully going to a three man roatation of Smith/Dwight/DMo, it should even out. Oh, and Dorsey plays some now but hopefully he gets it or they trade him. Again.

Tony_Starks
01-02-2015, 02:13 AM
If they had traded Monroe instead it would've been the same result BTW.....

Deception
01-02-2015, 04:14 AM

No it wouldn't, Monroe was suspended the first two games and Smith played and both losses.

Jamiecballer
01-02-2015, 01:43 PM

removing some of the redundancy in the front court would have helped a bit probably, but as much as removing an average (at best) player who is trying to play the star role? not a chance.

rocket
01-02-2015, 02:36 PM

probably not.

Verbal Christ
01-02-2015, 02:48 PM
I never like this stat because it's normally used in favor of talking up a persons night, like "25 points on only 12 shots!". OK, but how many possessions did he use shooting free throws? (granted that is a pretty ideal use of a possession).

That said, the Smith stat is just sad, though it's only 4 games. But, I would imagine Houston fans are already growing weary of their unbreakable faith in Morey on this one.

Troll Harder how you gonna overlook all the other moves hes made and try to discredit him over a move 4 games in? LOL

Keep this post in your back pocket and ask again in the playofffs

kduce
01-02-2015, 11:01 PM
4 and 0 now... Woot lol

JV35
01-02-2015, 11:03 PM
4 and 0 now... Woot lol5-0 is on the way.
Gonna beat the Kings.

Crackadalic
01-02-2015, 11:04 PM
Miami looking like the odd man out. I can see Detroit making a run and grabbing that 8th spot

DemarDerozan
01-03-2015, 12:46 AM
It's almost as if the Rockets and Pistons have switched places...

The curse of JSmoove.

Watch, Jennings is going to start putting up MVP numbers and Harden will get knocked out in an LA night club by The Game.

Iron24th
01-03-2015, 02:42 AM
^ Yep Josh Smith is trash, and cursed.

Tony_Starks
01-03-2015, 02:45 AM
It's almost as if the Rockets and Pistons have switched places...

The curse of JSmoove.

Watch, Jennings is going to start putting up MVP numbers and Harden will get knocked out in an LA night club by The Game.

I thought JSmoove and the Game were the same person?

LakersIn5
01-03-2015, 04:36 AM
Triple h is the game

Shlumpledink
01-03-2015, 06:26 AM
Josh Smith had been overrated for 5 years running. Glad that the results are showing that more and more now.

tredigs
01-03-2015, 04:10 PM
Troll Harder how you gonna overlook all the other moves hes made and try to discredit him over a move 4 games in? LOL

Keep this post in your back pocket and ask again in the playofffs

Mk buddy. My point was that you saw a lot of Rox fans who previously did not like Smoove for a # of reasons just throw all their personal opinions out the window and say, "Well I trust Morey".

Proof is in the pudding. We'll see how that sentiment goes 2 months from now. I guarantee many fans have already turned on that stance despite the small (but given his past - fairly "well no ****") sample size.

Shareeb_omac2
01-03-2015, 04:32 PM
Morey really hasn't done anything besides being gifted James Harden and then have Dwight Howard hand pick the Rockets because of Harden. All of the real Morey moves are arguably failures to be honest.

To be fair though, I honestly didn't think Josh Smith was actually this bad. I wouldn't have said no if the Mavs could have signed him.

Vinylman
01-03-2015, 04:59 PM
Morey really hasn't done anything besides being gifted James Harden and then have Dwight Howard hand pick the Rockets because of Harden. All of the real Morey moves are arguably failures to be honest.

To be fair though, I honestly didn't think Josh Smith was actually this bad. I wouldn't have said no if the Mavs could have signed him.

signing smith is pure genius...

He will trade him at the deadline to a team trying to tank...

Smith is the ultimate franchise curse

Saddletramp
01-03-2015, 06:57 PM
Mk buddy. My point was that you saw a lot of Rox fans who previously did not like Smoove for a # of reasons just throw all their personal opinions out the window and say, "Well I trust Morey".

Proof is in the pudding. We'll see how that sentiment goes 2 months from now. I guarantee many fans have already turned on that stance despite the small (but given his past - fairly "well no ****") sample size.

Man, PSD is an awful place for people who hate to repeat themselves. Signing Josh Smith at the contract Detroit gave him is a franchise cap space killer. Signing him for the rest of a season at about $2 million? Low risk/high reward. In saying that, I'm already starting to sour on him but it's early. Let's see if he puts it together and it was just being on a bad team (though admittedly better with him gone) in Detroit that really painted him as awful.

This is still a low risk/high reward deal but the risk is growing a bit and the reward is starting to shrink.

Jamiecballer
01-03-2015, 11:22 PM
Man, PSD is an awful place for people who hate to repeat themselves. Signing Josh Smith at the contract Detroit gave him is a franchise cap space killer. Signing him for the rest of a season at about $2 million? Low risk/high reward. In saying that, I'm already starting to sour on him but it's early. Let's see if he puts it together and it was just being on a bad team (though admittedly better with him gone) in Detroit that really painted him as awful.

This is still a low risk/high reward deal but the risk is growing a bit and the reward is starting to shrink.
It doesn't work that way though. It was always high risk to pick him up, you are just coming around to it now.

Ariza's Better
01-03-2015, 11:36 PM
To the people implying that the rockets loosing was Smiths fault. Watch a game and stop looking at box scores.

Explain how the Tmac trade was failure?

Crackadalic
01-04-2015, 12:23 AM
We can all agree that Smith is not a starter. A great role player though. Keep him out the starting 5 and the rockets got something

JWO35
01-04-2015, 12:48 PM

Highly doubt it, and this is coming from a guy that was in favor of moving Monroe and keeping Smith. It's obvious now that Smith is gone that this team really didn't like Smith, idk if it's him personally but his demeanor(and overall play) on the court played a huge negative role on this team.

Getting rid of Monroe simply would have cleared the jam at PF but the poor spacing, shooting, and most likely losing would have continued IMO.

Verbal Christ
01-04-2015, 02:36 PM

You notice how nobody really co-signed that sentiment huh? LOL

Deception
01-04-2015, 11:35 PM
5 straight wins since the release

R. Johnson#3
01-05-2015, 07:45 AM
We can all agree that Smith is not a starter. A great role player though. Keep him out the starting 5 and the rockets got something

There's only one problem. He thinks his role is that of a scorer.

RLundi
01-05-2015, 09:24 AM
Pistons looking good. I wouldn't be surprised if they grab the 8th or even the 7th spot. Lots of ground to make up but the bottom half of the east is that bad. I'm always rooting for Stan. I hope the Pistons do work this season.

LakersIn5
01-05-2015, 10:09 AM
Im a morey hater since i think he is overated. What has he won?

valade16
01-05-2015, 12:08 PM

This is what has allowed countless bad players to stay in the league years longer than their expiration date.

Smith is terrible, at least McHale is good enough to see it early and move him out of the starting lineup.

Saddletramp
01-05-2015, 03:58 PM
This is what has allowed countless bad players to stay in the league years longer than their expiration date.

Smith is terrible, at least McHale is good enough to see it early and move him out of the starting lineup.

Slow down. I'm not talking about putting it together in "can this guy play NBA basketball?" sense, i'm talking about "can this guy be a productive member of the Houston Rockets basketball team and help them win" sense.

It's been 6 games (in 9 days). He's looked great at times, he's looked awful at times. They won @Memphis and at home against Charlotte and Miami. They lost @San Antonio, @New Orleans and at home against the Wizards after a back to back.

6 games.

Jamiecballer
01-05-2015, 04:27 PM
There's only one problem. He thinks his role is that of a scorer.

exactly. he's really the worst kind of role player, a guy who has no awareness for his strength and no discipline to avoid his weaknesses. theres more than a handful of guys in the league like this, not just Josh Smith.

JWO35
01-07-2015, 09:29 AM
I was skeptical at first that this team was maybe just on a feel good high that Smith is gone, but with the win over San Antonio changed my mind. How bad the East is this team could actually make the ****ing playoffs :faint:

Crackadalic
01-07-2015, 10:21 AM
Detroit making the 8th seed and will upset who ever is number 1

tcav701
01-07-2015, 10:36 AM
I would love to see the following team play basketball:

PG Nate Robinson
SG JR Smith
SF Rudy Gay
PF Josh Smith
C Zach Randolph

spreadeagle
01-07-2015, 11:33 AM
pretty crazy what they have been doing.... Jennings looks so much better without smith

Jamiecballer
01-07-2015, 11:51 AM
you really can't underestimate the damage that a bad chucker has on a team. a chucker is bad enough, what incentive is there to work hard without the ball when the outcome is already predetermined? but if the chucker is good enough you can still be fairly successful, and winning does a good job smoothing things over. but a bad chucker? i can only imagine it creates a lot of bitterness in that locker-room.

Vampirate
01-07-2015, 12:00 PM
I was skeptical at first that this team was maybe just on a feel good high that Smith is gone, but with the win over San Antonio changed my mind. How bad the East is this team could actually make the ****ing playoffs :faint:

If they can get over .500 by season's end i'll dub them the new Raptors from last year.

If that happens get ready for fans from other teams downplaying it for their predictions the season after. :P

colinskik
01-07-2015, 02:59 PM
Pistons are my new second favorite team. Definitely rooting for them this year since I certainly can't root for my team to win.

mngopher35
01-07-2015, 03:13 PM
Finally got a chance to watch them and I too was impressed. While everyone has a point about smith I think this is also an example of what spacing and fit can mean in the nba.