PDA

View Full Version : Why are most "stretch 4"s bad defensively?

SF8
12-30-2014, 05:44 AM
Kevin Love, Dirk Nowitzki, Channing Frye, Ersan Illysova, Nikola Mirotic, Mirza Teletovic, Chris Bosh, Pero Antic, Josh Smith, Andrea Bargnani (some of these guys can do a lot more than just shoot 3s but I'm putting them in the stretch 4 category for arguments sake only, don't get offended)

All these guys are garbage on defensively or at best, below average.

Only big man who shoots 3s and is good defensively is Ibaka.

Why is that? Is it just a coincidence that all these shooting big man don't play well on the other end of the court?

OlivaThor
12-30-2014, 06:00 AM
Rasheed Wallace. Also Josh Smith is still good defender.

RAPS424
12-30-2014, 07:03 AM
Bosh is a good defender, As much as I hate the guy . and Bargs is a horrible help defended his man to man D wasnt/isn't horrible.. And Patrick Patterson is a good defender and one of the best stretch 4s ( 3pt% wise)

SF8
12-30-2014, 07:25 AM
Rasheed Wallace. Also Josh Smith is still good defender.

I was just including guys still in the NBA now.

bagwell368
12-30-2014, 08:12 AM
It's a combination of factors:

1. tall guys don't do that well against shorter faster guys (SF's, SG's, PG's) in terms of squaring up on them
2. stretch 4's aren't usually big and/or strong enough to push Centers out of the block or wherever they like to set up.
3. players that shoot well are often asked to emphasize that part of their game over others (rebounding, D).
4. Stretch 4's guarding other stretch 4's are not going to be in a guys shirt as he takes a 24' shot. The shot goes in, it's counted against the guy who had him, but in the scheme of the D from the Coach's perspective he might have done his job, perhaps done it quite well.

Storch
12-30-2014, 08:14 AM
Rasheed Wallace says hi

Minimal
12-30-2014, 08:15 AM
Bosh is good defender.
How many PFs are actually good defensively? You can count them on the fingers.

IndyRealist
12-30-2014, 08:44 AM
Because stretch 4's are not recruited for defense. They are signed because they can shoot.

Blink
12-30-2014, 09:04 AM
My man Rasheed was the best in the game although if he focused more on scoring in the paint we could've won more imo. But that's a different debate.

Would Draymond Green be considered a stretch 4?

Jamiecballer
12-30-2014, 01:14 PM
most of the ones who don't suck defensively had big man skills and extended their range after they were developed big men and became pros.

the guys who come in as shooters from the start generally don't have any big man skills and wouldn't have made the NBA before it became fashionable for bigs to shoot 3's.

Kyben36
12-30-2014, 01:47 PM
first, off, may i say that Nikola has alot of potential defensively, he moves well, and can be very good, with added weight, right now his only deficiency is really strength, but he works hard and has the ability to be a good defender.

now, to respond, i think your defense ratings are a little exaggerated, NO, your right, Chris Bosh is not a defensive anchor, but IMO, there are only about 5 in the nba period, Being Ibaka, Gasol (Mark) Noah, Chandler, and Anthony Davis

there are a few other old timers being KG and Tim duncan, but the fact is, your defensive standards are too high

Dirk, Nikola, Smith, and Bosh are not bad defenders, just not super star defensive players, some others might be better than i know as well, but somebody with more knowledge on their games would have to inform on them.

Teeboy1487
12-30-2014, 02:05 PM
Lamar Odom was good defensively for us during his tenure with the Lakers.

Tony_Starks
12-30-2014, 02:31 PM
I wouldn't call Smith a stretch 4 and he's far from garbage defensively. Also Chris Bosh is a good defender at 4 or 5.

To the question though the majority of stretch 4's tend to be Euro players who aren't particularly known for defense. Plus guys like Kevin Love who have been lazy defenders since college but just have nice range.

But I can give you Aldridge, Ibaka ( even though he's mostly a 5), Bosh, Milsap....etc who all stretch the floor and play above average defensively.

LanceUpperCut
12-30-2014, 02:54 PM
I think the majority of people on here have a hard time deciphering between an average defender and a poor defender. Many on that list are average well some other stretch forwards like LMA, Patrick Patterson, both Morris brother's, Boris Diaw are all good defenders.

Kyben36
12-30-2014, 03:23 PM
I think the majority of people on here have a hard time deciphering between an average defender and a poor defender. Many on that list are average well some other stretch forwards like LMA, Patrick Patterson, both Morris brother's, Boris Diaw are all good defenders.

kinda what i say, just because your not a defesnive stopper doesnt mean your not good defensively.

Blitzbolt
12-30-2014, 04:01 PM
I like teams like Utah and my Grizz who always play big.