PDA

View Full Version : Blind GM: What would you pay for Player C?

JasonJohnHorn
12-27-2014, 02:05 AM
Player C is a 25-year-old, 6'3 point guard just under 200 pounds with no history of injury. Over the past three seasons he has averaged over 40 minutes a game.

This past season he has average 21 points, 6.5 assists and 7 rebounds a game along with 3.7 turnovers. (or about 18 points, 5.4 assists and 5.5 rebounds per36).

He gets 1.6 assists for each turnover, which isn't great for a point guard, but he also does a lot of iso plays.

He defense is not stellar, but nor is is awful. He gets about a steal and a half per36.

He shot .453 instead the arc, and .354 on the far side of the arc, taking about 3 shots a game. He get just over 7 FTs a game and hit 80% of those shots, giving him a TS% of .541

He improved statistically each of his first three seasons, and his 4th season held steady with his production from the previous year with improved percentages all across the board.

He has not yet reached the playoffs, but the team has twice been over .500 with him as the primary ball handler.

What kind of annual salary do you give him, and how long a deal?

Cal827
12-27-2014, 03:02 AM
:laugh2: I knew who this was the minute the Rebounding numbers came up.

Anyways, for the continuation of the thread.

I'd say 4 years at about 48 million. Maybe 3/40 with a player option for the 4th year, so if he's consistent with his numbers, it wouldn't be too difficult to deal him out towards the end of the deal, if things are going as planned.

The Numbers are balanced around the board, but I would question a few things. First of all, while it is difficult to guard the many type of PGs in the league today, to be considered the best of the best, you need to be above average at the very least. Guys like Paul, Rondo, Westbrook, Lowry, and a couple others are near elite defenders at the PG position. Now, think of some of the guys who are below average defenders at the Point Guard Position, and how many times we laugh when they are beaten ( E.g. Calderon, Lin). In 2014, there are many more scoring guards, so you need a guy who can partially disrupt their game, or it ****s with everyone.

His offensive numbers are pretty good (I'm going to guess about average shooting percentages), his Assist/TO ratio isn't that great, but if he's a scoring PG, it's not unrealistic. The rebounding numbers are always nice to see in the PG position.

Again, if he were an at least an above average defender, I would have no issue raising the offer to about 4/56 or maybe 4/60.

LakersIn5
12-27-2014, 03:12 AM
Atleast 14 mil a year

MTar786
12-27-2014, 03:49 AM
im going with steve francis? I was the guy who got the names for the first two threads btw. lets see if i go 3 for 3

MTar786
12-27-2014, 03:53 AM
:laugh2: I knew who this was the minute the Rebounding numbers came up.

Anyways, for the continuation of the thread.

I'd say 4 years at about 48 million. Maybe 3/40 with a player option for the 4th year, so if he's consistent with his numbers, it wouldn't be too difficult to deal him out towards the end of the deal, if things are going as planned.

The Numbers are balanced around the board, but I would question a few things. First of all, while it is difficult to guard the many type of PGs in the league today, to be considered the best of the best, you need to be above average at the very least. Guys like Paul, Rondo, Westbrook, Lowry, and a couple others are near elite defenders at the PG position. Now, think of some of the guys who are below average defenders at the Point Guard Position, and how many times we laugh when they are beaten ( E.g. Calderon, Lin). In 2014, there are many more scoring guards, so you need a guy who can partially disrupt their game, or it ****s with everyone.

His offensive numbers are pretty good (I'm going to guess about average shooting percentages), his Assist/TO ratio isn't that great, but if he's a scoring PG, it's not unrealistic. The rebounding numbers are always nice to see in the PG position.

Again, if he were an at least an above average defender, I would have no issue raising the offer to about 4/56 or maybe 4/60.

why?

JasonJohnHorn
12-27-2014, 04:01 AM
im going with steve francis? I was the guy who got the names for the first two threads btw. lets see if i go 3 for 3

AGH!!!! You keep spoilin' it bro! lol

Yes... it is Steve Francis.

LakersIn5.... 14 million was what he got to start with a raise each year. At the time six years was the max-length, which is what he got... obviously today he'd only get offered 5 years.

But that 14 million was a little bit more back then because the cap was smaller... it'd be like giving him a 5 year deal that started at 16 mil and ended with him making about 20.

I just remember how bad everybody said that contract was by the time he was in Orlando and NY, but at the end of the day, I think almost any GM would have ponied up that kind of money to keep him at the time the contract was signed. He played very well that season and showed signs of improvement each year. And he was a stud on the glass.

kingsdelez24
12-27-2014, 04:01 AM
I'd pay max for a young Stevie Franchise. He's basically the Westbrook of his era

MTar786
12-27-2014, 04:12 AM
except westbrook is leaps and bounds better than steve was

Miltstar
12-27-2014, 10:42 AM
Stevie was too much of a diva!

Chrisclover
12-27-2014, 11:36 AM
Did you make it up or is this player an existing one? I am surprised by the abundance of details.

mightybosstone
12-27-2014, 12:07 PM
I loved Francis in Houston, but the guy was the definition of a SG in a PG's body. He looked to shoot before he looked to pass, and he rarely found a shot he didn't like. You could make a strong case that he peaked in his second season and then never came close to being that efficient ever again. Trading him and Mobley for T-Mac was absolutely the right thing to do. Unfortunately for Houston, McGrady and Yao just never could stay healthy.

Jamiecballer
12-27-2014, 12:59 PM
Player C is a 25-year-old, 6'3 point guard just under 200 pounds with no history of injury. Over the past three seasons he has averaged over 40 minutes a game.

This past season he has average 21 points, 6.5 assists and 7 rebounds a game along with 3.7 turnovers. (or about 18 points, 5.4 assists and 5.5 rebounds per36).

He gets 1.6 assists for each turnover, which isn't great for a point guard, but he also does a lot of iso plays.

He defense is not stellar, but nor is is awful. He gets about a steal and a half per36.

He shot .453 instead the arc, and .354 on the far side of the arc, taking about 3 shots a game. He get just over 7 FTs a game and hit 80% of those shots, giving him a TS% of .541

He improved statistically each of his first three seasons, and his 4th season held steady with his production from the previous year with improved percentages all across the board.

He has not yet reached the playoffs, but the team has twice been over .500 with him as the primary ball handler.

What kind of annual salary do you give him, and how long a deal?

Personally? zippo. no interest in this kind of point guard. the turnovers and field goal attempts scream trouble to me.