PDA

View Full Version : all soft players in today's nba. smh

LOOTERX9
12-25-2014, 02:54 PM
So durant is still not gonna play on Christmas day due to an ankle sprain that happened a week ago. Really? Back in the 90's an ankle sprain meant a player may miss 1 game if that. These nba players today miss months from sprained ankles nowadays. Smh

FOBolous
12-25-2014, 02:57 PM
wasn't an ankle sprain the reason why Grant Hill's career was cut tragically short? he tried to play though it because people were calling him "soft" and then...:(

i say these players know their body better than anyone else. if they feel like they need to sit out to nurse an injury, so be it. in the end, this is just a game. long term health + the resulting career longevity > a few games.

Alayla
12-25-2014, 03:20 PM
wasn't an ankle sprain the reason why Grant Hill's career was cut tragically short? he tried to play though it because people were calling him "soft" and then...:(

i say these players know their body better than anyone else. if they feel like they need to sit out to nurse an injury, so be it. in the end, this is just a game. long term health + the resulting career longevity > a few games.

Great Post no need to risk longterm or severe complications becuase you wanna be macho

ghettosean
12-25-2014, 03:49 PM

Ummmmm. Grant Hill was misdiagnosed his ankle was broken but doctors cleared him for play.

Here's an article in Grant Hills words (sorry you'll have to copy and paste the link because the mobile app is crap... lol)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/grant-hill-thinks-a-misdiagnosis-destroyed-his-ankle-and-career?urn=nba,wp2209

ghettosean
12-25-2014, 03:54 PM
Great Post no need to risk longterm or severe complications becuase you wanna be macho

I agree with this though but still think players of today are SUPER soft.

XerxestheGreat
12-25-2014, 03:56 PM
he sprained the same ankle on the foot that Durant broke during training camp. http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2014/12/thunder_forward_kevin_durant_out_with_sprained_ank .html

I do agree the league is soft but not because of injuries but because there are no more really personal rivalries ala magic v bird, where two really talented players on opposing teams hate each other

ghettosean
12-25-2014, 04:01 PM
he sprained the same ankle on the foot that Durant broke during training camp. http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2014/12/thunder_forward_kevin_durant_out_with_sprained_ank .html

I do agree the league is soft but not because of injuries but because there are no more really personal rivalries ala magic v bird, where two really talented players on opposing teams hate each other

Couldn't have said this any better

ChitownSports16
12-25-2014, 04:15 PM
I don't get some of you... A lot of you cry because some of these players are playing to many mins this and that but back in the day you had guys almost playing the whole game. Now you get a player with a sprained ankle and doesn't play for a week he's soft?? Lol NBA fans complain about everything...

dalton749
12-25-2014, 04:35 PM
in my 2k my career a guy got a concussion and was out for 4 months
they know how soft the league is lol

Chronz
12-25-2014, 04:54 PM
Soft is a subjective interpretation. To me, the league was its softest in the 80's where you literally werent allowed to play defense by occupying space wherever you wanted. Even the legends from the 80's (like Larry Legend himself) have admitted todays NBA stresses defense unlike any era they experienced.

The people who think the NBA is softer today have no understanding of the nuance behind building a wall at the rim, the same defense was illegal back in the soft 80's, its why isolation basketball reigned supreme back then, and why today, single stars dont have the same impact they used to.

kingsdelez24
12-25-2014, 05:24 PM
Back in the 90's, Grant Hill played on a sprained ankle, made it worse, and missed out on the rest of his prime years

Oh yeah, but players are waaaay too soft these days, right?

ghettosean
12-25-2014, 05:31 PM
Soft is a subjective interpretation. To me, the league was its softest in the 80's where you literally werent allowed to play defense by occupying space wherever you wanted. Even the legends from the 80's (like Larry Legend himself) have admitted todays NBA stresses defense unlike any era they experienced.

The people who think the NBA is softer today have no understanding of the nuance behind building a wall at the rim, the same defense was illegal back in the soft 80's, its why isolation basketball reigned supreme back then, and why today, single stars dont have the same impact they used to.

To your credit you MAY be right that the rules were softer back though i disagree but the OP was targeting players and with all the flopping and whining that goes on nowadays i agree that today's players are as soft as it gets. Durant should take time off until he heals but how platers act and play these days is the definition of soft.

Ariza's Better
12-25-2014, 05:47 PM
I'm sick and tired of fans telling players to play through injuries and calling them soft if they don't. It's up to the team, doctors and player to decide if their ready or not. Its so dumb that moron fans sitting on their fat ***** at home think they know better than the team. It's all macho man ********.

Sanjay
12-25-2014, 06:35 PM
Back in the 90's there wasn't as much knowledge and importance on physical aspects of the game as there is today. Also, the game is faster so there are going to be more injuries. In Durant's case consider this: He missed the first six weeks of the season with a broken foot (which meant the Thunder went from a probable 2 seed to fighting for one of the lower seeds in the West playoffs) and then he along with Westbrook got OKC within 1.5 games of the 8th seed in the nick of time. KD should wait until his ankle is healed before he comes back to try and push Oklahoma City into the playoffs.

all soft players in today's nba. smh
So durant is still not gonna play on Christmas day due to an ankle sprain that happened a week ago. Really? Back in the 90's an ankle sprain meant a player may miss 1 game if that. These nba players today miss months from sprained ankles nowadays. Smh

Hawkeye15
12-26-2014, 02:13 AM
today is soft hahaha? Most of you didn't watch the 80's apparently.

Btw, research has provided evidence that letting players get healthy prior to coming back, and not playing 42 mpg, is a GOOD thing over the course of the marathon. But whatever, right?

jp611
12-26-2014, 02:22 AM
Soft... Smart.

Same thing.

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-26-2014, 04:03 AM

I agree with this though but still think players of today are SUPER soft.

I was going to say exactly this. You can close the thread now

Phantom Dreamer
12-26-2014, 05:07 AM
So durant is still not gonna play on Christmas day due to an ankle sprain that happened a week ago. Really? Back in the 90's an ankle sprain meant a player may miss 1 game if that. These nba players today miss months from sprained ankles nowadays. SmhHe needs to wear those Rick Barry shoes probably.

Sean Moore
12-26-2014, 05:52 AM

I can agree with some of the points you're making, but you're omitting some very key facts. First, the game was a lot more physical in the way the refs called it. Flagrant fouls were not a worry for players, nor was flopping an issue the way it is now in todays NBA. Emphasis on the three second rule also nullifies some of the effect of the Zone defenses which have been allowed since the 2001-2002 NBA season. This has handicapped players like Shaq from being truly dominant for sure. Well, there has been no none like Shaq so I guess this might mostly or only apply to him or maybe Tim Duncan. Handchecking is also a factor to be weighed in on. So, yes I can agree that Zones did affect iso ball for sure, but other factors did even the balance that it left behind. The ticky-tack fouls, refbaiting, and flopping that we see in todays game are something that we never saw back in the 80's for sure as well. That is probly what people are mostly referring to when they say that this era was softer than the 80's and 90's also. Most of the NBA greats also agree with this assessment as well. Far be it for some single Larry Bird quote to sway me otherwise.

Sean Moore
12-26-2014, 05:58 AM
today is soft hahaha? Most of you didn't watch the 80's apparently.

Btw, research has provided evidence that letting players get healthy prior to coming back, and not playing 42 mpg, is a GOOD thing over the course of the marathon. But whatever, right?

I honestly believe that is what ****ed over the Spurs in 2013 more than anything else. Had Pop gone full force in the 4th quarter in game six there is no way the Heat come away with that victory. He rested his starters at the wrong time and too much in the regular season which is why he was forced to play them more in 2013-2014 to secure HCA in the finals. Sometimes too much rest can bite you in the arse.

Sean Moore
12-26-2014, 06:04 AM

Kobe vs. Lebron was a good one for sure. Too bad we never got to see them match up in the finals.

Phantom Dreamer
12-26-2014, 06:18 AM
Meh. LeBron doesn't hate anybody, he's too nice a guy, as demonstrated with the hugfest in Miami on Thursday.

JasonJohnHorn
12-26-2014, 10:13 AM
If a guy has an ankle sprain I don't want him playing until he is a 100% for two reasons:

1. He's going to risk a more severe injury and hurt the long term success of the team.
2. He will be less effective because his movements will be restricted.

We aren't talking about fighting for personal freedoms here. He are talking about a game of basketball. There is no sense in injuring yourself for a single game, most especially in the regular season.

Slug3
12-26-2014, 11:09 AM
Ummmmm. Grant Hill was misdiagnosed his ankle was broken but doctors cleared him for play.

Here's an article in Grant Hills words (sorry you'll have to copy and paste the link because the mobile app is crap... lol)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/grant-hill-thinks-a-misdiagnosis-destroyed-his-ankle-and-career?urn=nba,wp2209

But now a days we have better technology that we can better see what might be wrong. They didn't even have MRI's back in those days, and if they did they were horrible.

Hawkeye15
12-26-2014, 03:41 PM
I honestly believe that is what ****ed over the Spurs in 2013 more than anything else. Had Pop gone full force in the 4th quarter in game six there is no way the Heat come away with that victory. He rested his starters at the wrong time and too much in the regular season which is why he was forced to play them more in 2013-2014 to secure HCA in the finals. Sometimes too much rest can bite you in the arse.

I can buy giving a lot of rest throughout the season, but as the playoffs are getting closer, up their minutes a bit. But yeah, in the finals, you play them.

To give you an example of the constant minutes backfiring, look how dead LeBron was against the Mavs. He sucked, he had nothing.

FOBolous
12-26-2014, 03:51 PM

yea. his body told him he wasn't ready despite what the doctors said but he decided to play though it because people were calling him soft. again, these players know their body better than anyone else. if they feel like they need to sit out to nurse an injury, so be it. in the end, this is just a game. long term health + the resulting career longevity > a few games.

JesusNYY_Savior
12-26-2014, 03:54 PM

To your credit you MAY be right that the rules were softer back though i disagree but the OP was targeting players and with all the flopping and whining that goes on nowadays i agree that today's players are as soft as it gets. Durant should take time off until he heals but how platers act and play these days is the definition of soft.
Not true per webster the definition of soft is "smooth and pleasant to touch". Good try though

Cromedome
12-28-2014, 01:37 AM
Charles Oakley vs. Charles Barkley

Goose17
12-28-2014, 12:15 PM

Thread should have been closed after this post^ nothing else to say. Discussion over.

ichitownclowni
12-28-2014, 12:48 PM
in my 2k my career a guy got a concussion and was out for 4 months
they know how soft the league is lol
That **** pissed me off. Pau Gasol missed the ****in playoffs for me.

PhillySportFan
12-28-2014, 01:08 PM

Should any human being make a physical or mental condition worse to try to be "tough" when others are calling them soft? The answer is NO! Seriously hate this about our society, our body and our health is the only reason we exist at all. I injured myself at work, my coworkers were all if that happened to us we'd keep working, unless it was broken, my work is a lot of heavy lifting and relying on my body, if I go back to work with a weakened ankle and potentially make it worse it could become more serious and become a lifelong injury, why in the hell would I want that? I don't care how little or much your get payed, there's nothing worse than doing long term damage to your body, it could shorten your life, literally.

Of course if the injury is within reason and you truly feel it won't make it worse than that's fine, but if he feels uncomfortable playing on it and feels it could make it worse there's no reason in hell to play. Doctor's know this best which is why something like the Jay Cutler thing in the playoffs happen, yes it doesn't look that bad but if you make it any worse it could become that bad.