PDA

View Full Version : Don't you think other NBA teams should have the right to play on Christmas Day?

Tg11
12-25-2014, 01:42 PM
If anything don't you think other NBA teams should have the right to play on Christmas Day? Teams like the Raptors, Magic, 76ers, Celtics, Trailblazers, Bucks, etc. those kinds of teams because I don't even remember the last time any of those teams ever played a Christmas Day game

curtcocaine
12-25-2014, 01:55 PM
No.

curtcocaine
12-25-2014, 01:56 PM
Of course they do but why complain about something that you can't control?

kozelkid
12-25-2014, 01:59 PM
If anything don't you think other NBA teams should have the right to play on Christmas Day? Teams like the Raptors, Magic, 76ers, Celtics, Trailblazers, Bucks, etc. those kinds of teams because I don't even remember the last time any of those teams ever played a Christmas Day game
The Celtics? Really?

And Magic played during Xmas quite recently when they had Howard. Big markets will always get an advantage for obvious reasons, but if you're a good team, you'll find yourself in.

RLundi
12-25-2014, 02:01 PM
Celtics and Magic both played a Christmas Day game at least 6 years ago, so they've played on Christmas relatively recently. The problems is all these others teams either aren't any good, aren't in enormous markets, or aren't considered "sexy" or marquee enough.

The gripe this Christmas is that NO ONE wants to see the Lakers and Knicks so their large market size shouldn't be the determining factor. Fact is, both teams suck and are boring, so the NBA made a mistake choosing them for the sport's biggest day of the year. Hindsight is 20/20 but the slate should have been:

Wizards vs Raptors
Spurs vs Bulls
Cavs vs Heat
Rockets vs Mavericks
Clippers vs Warriors

Cal827
12-25-2014, 02:01 PM
For a couple, it comes down to the markets. New York, LA, and Chicago are huge markets, and massive draws, despite the record for the first two. A Franchise player returning to the city they left, will be another huge draw (Like when Shaq returned to LA). Washington has an extremely popular player on their team (Wall). OKC/SA was last years Conference finals, and LAC/GS was that extremely heated 7 game series in the first round last year. These teams don't like each other. The other teams are struggling right now, so they won't get as much people interested. Some games would just outright ignored if some teams that were losing were playing in them E.g. Orlando, Milwaukee). It's not like those teams won't play on Christmas again anyways. When Orlando had Dwight, I remember seeing them play multiple Christmas games against the likes of the Lakers, Celtics, etc.

I think another viable option for today would be Portland-Houston (last years 1st round). Would also have suggested Brooklyn-Toronto, but the Nets underwent a fair bit of change since then.

But also, the NBA doesn't want to play many games on a holiday, especially since most of the players complain about having to work on Christmas lol

Tg11
12-25-2014, 02:03 PM
Celtics and Magic both played a Christmas Day game at least 6 years ago, so they've played on Christmas relatively recently. The problems is all these others teams either aren't any good, aren't in enormous markets, or aren't considered "sexy" or marquee enough.

The gripe this Christmas is that NO ONE wants to see the Lakers and Knicks so their large market size shouldn't be the determining factor. Fact is, both teams suck and are boring, so the NBA made a mistake choosing them for the sport's biggest day of the year. Hindsight is 20/20 but the slate should have been:

Wizards vs Raptors
Spurs vs Bulls
Cavs vs Heat
Rockets vs Mavericks
Clippers vs Warriors

Yes a docket like this I would have agreed with especially for Christmas

Cal827
12-25-2014, 02:03 PM

Wizards vs Raptors
Spurs vs Bulls
Cavs vs Heat
Rockets vs Mavericks
Clippers vs Warriors

Shhh.... That's next year's game, you know, after they kill each other in the playoffs this season lol

Tg11
12-25-2014, 02:05 PM
Raptors-Wizards Christmas Day game next year I would love that

ChitownSports16
12-25-2014, 02:07 PM
Should have been Blazers and Raps instead of Lakers and Knicks. But like someone else said, those 2 teams will always be in because of the Markets there in.

KnicksorBust
12-25-2014, 02:07 PM

The Wizards would have been on this list last year but now they are good and have a game. Whats your beef? Only 10 teams play. Personally I think my Knicks are the only team that should get the boot. Every other matchup is entertaining.

Tg11
12-25-2014, 02:08 PM
Should have been Blazers and Raps instead of Lakers and Knicks. But like someone else said, those 2 teams will always be in because of the Markets there in.

Yes even a Blazers-Raps game on Christmas would have been excellent

nastynice
12-25-2014, 03:28 PM
I want to see the sixers starters play the back ups

Tony_Starks
12-25-2014, 03:34 PM
Why on earth would someone watch Philly or the Celtics today and spoil Christmas? Might as well tell your kids there's no Santa Clause while your at it!

goingfor28
12-25-2014, 03:45 PM
Wizards vs Raptors
Spurs vs Bulls
Cavs vs Heat
Rockets vs Mavericks
Clippers vs Warriors

This would have been an amazing day of games

TO Rapz
12-25-2014, 03:56 PM
Man, back in the day when Boston and LA used to have good teams, I loved watching NBA on christmas. Same thing when the Knicks had a nice team that one year with 50 wins or whatever it was.

Now? ****ing no one wants to see LA and NY on Christmas outside of those two markets and yes I understand those two markets are two of the biggest in basketball if not the biggest, hence, why they do it. It's bull ****ing ****.

Today's lineup is absolutely garbage and everyone could have predicted it will be garbage. I don't mind the CLE - MIA game cus Lebron coming back to Miami is cool and will be fun to watch. The Clippers Warriors game will be great. The rest are ****.

Edit: Thunder vs Spurs is fine.

Sanjay
12-25-2014, 06:53 PM
I agree that the teams with the best record from the previous season should have the right to play on Christmas Day. However, I'm not sure how much players value playing on Xmas. Personally, I think some 'holidays' are blown up way out of proportion (i.e. Christmas, New Years e.t.c.), but I guess some players wouldn't mind resting and spending the day at home with their family if possible?

Vampirate
12-25-2014, 07:27 PM
You're asking if the players of the teams are really sweating playing on Christmas instead of being with their families? Really?

Bruno
12-25-2014, 07:27 PM
do you think players want to play on Christmas?

2-ONE-5
12-26-2014, 09:39 AM
since when is it a "right" to play on xmas day? they just need to stop focsuing on the bigger markets in eyars everyone knows they wont compete like the Knicks

JasonJohnHorn
12-26-2014, 09:55 AM
Not all the players want to play on Christmas day.... besides, you need games on Christmas Eve and Boxing Day....

A lot of the players take time out to do charity work on that day... I'm sure the kids would rather meet the players in person at a charity even than watch them play on TV.