PDA

View Full Version : Josh Smith will sign for Rockets

leprechaun5
12-24-2014, 02:05 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
Josh Smith has committed to signing with the Houston Rockets, league sources tell Yahoo Sports. He clears waivers at 5 PM today.

Woj is unstoppable.

jaydubb
12-24-2014, 02:06 PM
Woj :worthy:

goingfor28
12-24-2014, 02:07 PM
Word

InRoseWeTrust
12-24-2014, 02:07 PM
I'm glad we can celebrate the birth of Woj tomorrow.

Wade n Fade
12-24-2014, 02:09 PM
Watch a team pick him off waivers lol. Morrey is like I raise your Rondo move with Smith and Brewer. Try stopping a deeper bench and the best SG and C.

kobe4thewinbang
12-24-2014, 02:13 PM
Looks like another first round exit for the Rockets, then. LOL.

Smith for 3! Smith for 3! Wait...don't they have Jason Terry or that Harden guy to do most of the shooting?

Oh! Smith for 3! Smith is now 0-100 tonight from downtown.

Phenomenonsense
12-24-2014, 02:13 PM
Watch a team pick him off waivers lol. Morrey is like I raise your Rondo move with Smith and Brewer. Try stopping a deeper bench and the best SG and C.

Smith will probably make them worse honestly. Still a good move because he can be waived again.

DillyDill
12-24-2014, 02:16 PM
Defensively him and Supes should have the paint on lockdown

Goose17
Lol... oh well. There goes your top 4 spot Houston. Enjoy the first round exit.

Ezio
You can take Smith off the Pistons but you can't take the Smith out of Smith.

leprechaun5
12-24-2014, 02:17 PM
I don't know how he fits in with this team, but he can be a very good defender if(and that's a big IF) he commits to play and will make them even better in D.

Mr.B
12-24-2014, 02:18 PM
Smith will probably make them worse honestly. Still a good move because he can be waived again.

He could also be traded. And he's going to sign a very tradable contract with Houston.

Minimal
12-24-2014, 02:24 PM
Dwight and Smith wanted to play together long time ago, so this makes sense. I think they are gonna be alright, teammates and coach will probably straighten Smiths brain.

rockets-fan
12-24-2014, 02:24 PM
Championship defense

On offense, Harden just has to keep the ball all game haha jk

omdigga
12-24-2014, 02:33 PM
I still think The Documentary back in 2005 was his best album.

Htownballa1622
12-24-2014, 02:35 PM
Josh smith is 0 for 0 on 3 pt attempts for us.

I will be tracking...

Welcome to HTown! Enjoy our lovely gentleman establishments.

emman03
12-24-2014, 02:40 PM
no surprise..

howard/d-mo
smith/t-jones
ariza/papanikalou?

is a good front court congrats rockets fully recovered in lin parsons and asik in no return
with this addition now their eyes is on jameer nelson if he will be bought out by celtics nelson is former and long time teammate of dwight

howard/smith/ariza/harden/nelson

d-mo/t-jones/papanikalou?/brewer/terry or beverly

is a deadly legit team congrats guys

Phenomenonsense
12-24-2014, 02:49 PM
Championship defense

On offense, Harden just has to keep the ball all game haha jk

Just so you know, Smith hasn't played anything but lazy defense since being on the Pistons. He lets backdoor cuts happen constantly, doesn't defend the pick and roll. Dude has the occasional block still though.

rockets-fan
12-24-2014, 02:52 PM
Just so you know, Smith hasn't played anything but lazy defense since being on the Pistons. He lets backdoor cuts happen constantly, doesn't defend the pick and roll. Dude has the occasional block still though.

Yea but I mean, team success obviously plays a role in how he performs...shouldn't be that way but that's what separates franchise players from wanna bes who need to be a fourth option like him.

He will improve his game, just enough to get us what we need

FOBolous
12-24-2014, 02:56 PM

lol :laugh2:

rhino17
12-24-2014, 02:57 PM
I hope he comes off the bench, but I don't think he will. Either way, DMO will be getting as much time as Smith, taking over both the C and PF backup spots

Sadds The Gr8
12-24-2014, 03:09 PM
I hope he comes off the bench, but I don't think he will. Either way, DMO will be getting as much time as Smith, taking over both the C and PF backup spots
Wasn't the main part of Houston's pitch a promise that he'd start?

He should be an upgrade over Dmo and Jones but I still don't expect much. He'll be good on D but trash on O

H-town Mastodon
12-24-2014, 03:13 PM
Wasn't the main part of Houston's pitch a promise that he'd start?

He should be an upgrade over Dmo and Jones but I still don't expect much. He'll be good on D but trash on O

The hope is Harden and Dwight will diminish Smith's shots to where at least when he takes them, they'll be dunks off a Harden assist or getting open after Dwight or Harden get doubled

I hope to believe that Smith will be able to get his act together down here..But anyway I welcome J Smoove to the organization...I wish him the best

abe_froman
12-24-2014, 03:14 PM
feel bad for houston fans

Tony_Starks
12-24-2014, 03:27 PM
Yet another first round knockout, but this should be fun to watch....

Ariza's Better
12-24-2014, 03:27 PM
As I said in the other thread Smith will play the Dmo role and will get most his shots close to the ring and on fast breaks.
I still don't know how to feel about this though. So conflicted.

Htownballa1622
12-24-2014, 03:33 PM
I find it hilarious when Laker fans come in..."another first round loss/knockout."

:yawn:

JordansBulls
12-24-2014, 03:35 PM
This is the signing that will put fear into Lebron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Ezio
12-24-2014, 03:44 PM
This is the signing that will put fear into Lebron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers.

What? James isn't going anywhere near the Rockets w/o a C.

numba1CHANGsta
12-24-2014, 03:46 PM
Lol love how all the players are coming to the West...Rondo, Smith, whos next? D-Will? Amare? ha most likely -.-

numba1CHANGsta
12-24-2014, 03:48 PM
I find it hilarious when Laker fans come in..."another first round loss/knockout."

Its not Laker fans, its basketball fans, Rockets are gonna finish behind Spurs, Mavs and Grizz in that division, so yeah first round KO is likely

benny01
12-24-2014, 03:49 PM
As I said in the other thread Smith will play the Dmo role and will get most his shots close to the ring and on fast breaks.
I still don't know how to feel about this though. So conflicted.

Smith won't take those shots close to the rim though, he'll take it to the 3 pt line and heave.lol
I think that if this is gonna be successful the coach is gonna have to have a quick hook with him. When Smith was with the Hawks he was a decent team defender and didn't take as many garbage shots, but the guy in Detroit was a ****ing disaster. Smith was playing to get his blocks and not really playing defense at all, and was only doing damage on offense. I think it's a major gamble, but a low risk gamble. I'm not very optimistic.

Cal827
12-24-2014, 03:51 PM
I think some people here are underrating this signing.

First of all, there's quite a difference between the talent that was on Detroit, and the talent on Houston.

Houston has Harden (who's definitively the first option on that team), and Howard (Who's the definitive number two guy).

When he signed with Detroit, who was the main guy? Drummond and Monroe were young, and Jennings is another chucker. Should he have defered the ball a little more? Probably, but you can say that about of ton of players. The team also appeared confused about what path they were going in, until VG took over. We know that Houston is contending for titles.

Smith will definitely be one of the lower options on the team. Harden will get the ball most, then Howard will get it inside. Should open more opportunities for Smith on the inside from double teams on Howard. With Houston's system, Smith shouldn't be behind the line too often, since pretty much everyone else on the team can hit 3s at a higher clip.

Also, he's still pretty damn good at defense. Now if people get by the back court defenders (mainly Harden), it won't always be Howard putting himself at risk to stop the driver, as Smith is quite athletic, and can probably stop most of them in their tracks.

Of course, if he reverts back to chucking shots that he always misses from beyond the arc, and pouts his *** off, well they can release him again or trade him away.

I think this could put Houston in the second round at least, but we'll have to see.

Shammyguy3
12-24-2014, 03:52 PM
What? James isn't going anywhere near the Rockets w/o a C.

JB is a troll, always has been

Kaner
12-24-2014, 03:54 PM
no surprise..

howard/d-mo
smith/t-jones
ariza/papanikalou?

is a good front court congrats rockets fully recovered in lin parsons and asik in no return
with this addition now their eyes is on jameer nelson if he will be bought out by celtics nelson is former and long time teammate of dwight

Is that something that the Celtics are discussing?

But I don't think he'd go to the Rockets anyway, it was Nelson that basically told Howard to shut up and be a man when Howard insulted his former Orlando teammates after being traded to the Lakers.

Htownballa1622
12-24-2014, 03:55 PM
Its not Laker fans, its basketball fans, Rockets are gonna finish behind Spurs, Mavs and Grizz in that division, so yeah first round KO is likely

Except the ppl I was referring to were in fact…Laker fans.

Plus, unless you've got a crystal ball then idk… seeing as how the Rockets are ahead of Dallas and Spurs (right now)

Could it happen? Maybe but you speak in absolutes like it's a foregone conclusion. :rolleyes:

BraveGiant
So he is good with his D but bad with his O game?

DarkKnight
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
Josh Smith has committed to signing with the Houston Rockets, league sources tell Yahoo Sports. He clears waivers at 5 PM today.

Woj is unstoppable.

I'm for that

benny01
12-24-2014, 03:59 PM
So he is good with the D but bad with is O game?
He's not good at anything as of late. He's athletic

DarkKnight
12-24-2014, 04:01 PM
Dwight and Smith wanted to play together long time ago, so this makes sense. I think they are gonna be alright, teammates and coach will probably straighten Smiths brain.

Who's the girl enough about the Rockets

mightybosstone
12-24-2014, 04:05 PM
I've been back and forth on this like crazy over the past 48 hours. But ultimately where I sit on it now is that it's a high reward, low risk move. They gave up absolutely nothing to get him, and in the event that he doesn't work out, the Rockets can always deal him or let his contract expire.

But on the court, I do think he should fit in well with Houston. They play a lot of uptempo basketball and he's going to get a lot of buckets in transition. Also, with Harden and Howard demanding so much attention around the paint, I think he's going to get a lot of easy attempts around the rim. Also, I'm not quite as concerned about his shot selection with this team, because I don't think he's going to get that many looks. On Detroit the last two years, the best offensive options on the team were Monroe, Drummond, Jennings and KCP. No wonder the guy was taking 14 shots per game. In Houston, he'll be lucky to get 8-10 shots a night. And if he starts jacking up 3s and long 2s, Morey and McHale will sit his *** on the bench.

Defensively, this is a situation where the rich get richer. Not only will the starting five be ridiculously hard to score on, but it provides so much versatility. Houston can now play Motiejunas more minutes at the 5 (where he's a better fit) while letting Smith do a lot of the rim protecting duties. Or they could use Smith defensively against opposing wings. I realize the guy hasn't exactly been himself the last few years, but the way this defense has played this season, I feel like he'll pick up the intensity on that end.

I'm still pretty skeptical that this will be a huge difference maker for Houston, but I'm trying to stay optimistic, and I do think there's a shot that he could make a difference. For the people claiming that Houston is a lock to be a first round exit, I'm not quite sure I buy that argument. Smith has been terrible this year, but him getting minutes on this team isn't going to make them significantly worse. I have a hard time understanding where that logic comes from.

mightybosstone
12-24-2014, 04:11 PM
Is that something that the Celtics are discussing?

But I don't think he'd go to the Rockets anyway, it was Nelson that basically told Howard to shut up and be a man when Howard insulted his former Orlando teammates after being traded to the Lakers.

Isn't that kind of a moot point? Beverley is a far better fit for what the Rockets need out of their starting point guard. And at this point in their careers, he's a better player than Nelson. Houston has no need for Nelson, so I seriously doubt they would have any interest in him.

jerellh528
12-24-2014, 04:13 PM
Lol love how all the players are coming to the West...Rondo, Smith, whos next? D-Will? Amare? ha most likely -.-

Those are all crap players anyways

Kaner
12-24-2014, 04:19 PM
Isn't that kind of a moot point? Beverley is a far better fit for what the Rockets need out of their starting point guard. And at this point in their careers, he's a better player than Nelson. Houston has no need for Nelson, so I seriously doubt they would have any interest in him.

Sure, and he's not really an improvement over Canaan either. I was responding to the other guys idea that their past relationship would help them sign Nelson while if anything I'd expect it'd do the opposite.

I'm more curious about the Celtics buying him out part thou, he'd be a good pickup for a couple of teams.

Jamiecballer
12-24-2014, 04:22 PM
This is such an unusual move for a GM that is normally very savvy.

Ariza's Better
12-24-2014, 04:22 PM
Smith won't take those shots close to the rim though, he'll take it to the 3 pt line and heave.lol
I think that if this is gonna be successful the coach is gonna have to have a quick hook with him. When Smith was with the Hawks he was a decent team defender and didn't take as many garbage shots, but the guy in Detroit was a ****ing disaster. Smith was playing to get his blocks and not really playing defense at all, and was only doing damage on offense. I think it's a major gamble, but a low risk gamble. I'm not very optimistic.
As I said I'm conflicted. But the situation in Detroit is way different than Houston. He won't have Monroe and Drummond clogging the key. He be joining a happy lockeroom. And he will playing with his best friend in one of the best defensive teams in the league.

mightybosstone
12-24-2014, 04:23 PM
Sure, and he's not really an improvement over Canaan either. I was responding to the other guys idea that their past relationship would help them sign Nelson while if anything I'd expect it'd do the opposite.

I'm more curious about the Celtics buying him out part thou, he'd be a good pickup for a couple of teams.

Yeah, there's definitely some contending teams who could use him to play 20 minutes a night off the bench. If Canaan hadn't played so well this year, I'd actually think the Rockets could use him. But they've got plenty of veterans on this roster now, and Canaan is only going to keep getting better.

mightybosstone
12-24-2014, 04:26 PM
One thing that makes me feel a hell of a lot better about this is that apparently it's only a one-year deal. If it doesn't work out, Houston can just bench him and let his contract expire after the season is over. And if it does work out, the Rockets have some flexibility with their contracts and could probably make room for a reasonable 2-4 year deal.

rhino17
12-24-2014, 04:42 PM
Smith is also a decent ball handler, especially for his position. The one thing they miss with Parsons being gone is another ball handler to relieve Harden at times. Bev isn't much of a dribbler and Ariza is pretty uncoordinated.

Tony_Starks
12-24-2014, 04:45 PM
I'm shocked the Clippers didn't make a harder push for him. Their uptempo style is a great fit for his skill set. CP3 would've had a field day on the break with him and Blake running the lanes.....

mngopher35
12-24-2014, 05:01 PM
I think this is a good spot for smith to show what he's still got. If he decides to keep chucking bad shots then the rockets can just move on and have the same team. If he tries to fit in and bring defense/rebounding every night it could be a good add to the front court.

CluTcH_c1tY
12-24-2014, 05:36 PM
Ahh love the hate another first round exit really? Some ppl were saying they'd love Smith on their team yet he signs with Houston and they get worse? Love the depth on this team now. The defense will be legit! Lmao at the poster that said they'll finish last in the division. Stay thirsty bro

Verbal Christ
12-24-2014, 05:38 PM
LOL Okay so let me get this straight. BEFORE the season the ROX were going to get knocked out of the first round or even miss the playoffs altogether according to the majority of contributors to this forum. NOW they're still going to get knocked out in the first round, FOR SURE this time! LOL Give me a break.

NO BRAINER ... what is there to lose? You either get the dog thats been dragging it lately, or you can hope to tap into some of what is shown in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF7SE5kETlw

You dont just forget how to play ball or start sucking all of a sudden. Detroit was a dumpster fire from the front office to the ball boys. How can you flourish in that environment? The team kept acquiring redundant players, and had Smith play out of position. What else did that team have? You gotta earn that big contract right? Okay play the first option role even though it doesnt fit you. Thats what I picked up from Smith's time there.

Detroit fan seems to be happy to rid themselves of him and Houston fan seems to be happy to add to an area of need. Win/Win for both sides then.

All I want him to do is defend, add pace and tempo, athleticism and when he needs to purge his 3 point demons hopefully they can encourage him to do so in the corners.

tr3ymill3r
12-24-2014, 05:41 PM
James Harden strikes me as the type of individual to grab Josh Smith by the back of his neck and tell him to cut that ******** out if he jacks up more than 3 in a game.

Jeffy25
12-24-2014, 05:50 PM
Brewer and Smith, two of the worst three point shooters in the game....it's like adding Barkley....but he only shoots three's

c.c.
12-24-2014, 05:59 PM
no surprise..

howard/d-mo
smith/t-jones
ariza/papanikalou?

Nelson will not start over Beverly

L8kers4life
12-24-2014, 06:12 PM
This is an amazing pick up for Houston. They have a lock down defender at every position accept SG in the starting 5. He will have great chemistry with Dwight and at times be able to stretch the floor. I think this move is better than the Rondo move, because it cost nothing and they got a solid player with upside. I hate to say it, this could keep Houston in the top tier of the west and could get them to the conference finals or finals.

Let's not forget, the rockets just picked up Corey Brewer and Alex Shved, the Rockets are stacked and again the west gets even stronger.

L8kers4life
12-24-2014, 06:20 PM
Brewer and Smith, two of the worst three point shooters in the game....it's like adding Barkley....but he only shoots three's

But they both provide defense, length, athleticism, rebounding and depth. Houston has plenty of shooters and these 2 can hit the 3 on occasion. Great moves from Houston.

Howard_Zinn
12-24-2014, 06:24 PM
Josh Smith is dreadful.. He's not a "lock-down defender" at all. Have people gone mad. This guy doesn't even have his athleticism anymore.. That's the only thing that made him worthwhile.. He can't shoot, He can't even make a layup.. He used to dunk, now he bricks layups.. A dunk from Smith is rare these days. He is a horrible defender now. He doesn't hustle. It's so entertaining to watch the same people get hype over a person they said was the worst in the league two weeks ago. Hope it works out.. haha smdh

The only positive to Smith's game anymore is his passing ability for a big man. I've watched every game of his the last year and a half.. He is not 2010 Josh Smith.. That Josh Smith played above the rim. This one doesn't.

mightybosstone
12-24-2014, 06:32 PM

But let's not act like these guys are constantly jacking up 3s. Combined, they average about 3 per game, and both guys were playing more minutes for bad basketball teams than they'll get for Houston. My guess is that neither guy will be taking that many 3-pointers in this offense unless they're wide open shots like the ones Brewer got in his debut.

mightybosstone
12-24-2014, 06:38 PM
This is an amazing pick up for Houston. They have a lock down defender at every position accept SG in the starting 5. He will have great chemistry with Dwight and at times be able to stretch the floor. I think this move is better than the Rondo move, because it cost nothing and they got a solid player with upside. I hate to say it, this could keep Houston in the top tier of the west and could get them to the conference finals or finals.

Let's not forget, the rockets just picked up Corey Brewer and Alex Shved, the Rockets are stacked and again the west gets even stronger.

But they both provide defense, length, athleticism, rebounding and depth. Houston has plenty of shooters and these 2 can hit the 3 on occasion. Great moves from Houston.

Yeah, the biggest thing I take away from the last week is that the Rockets just got a hell of a lot deeper. Hell, without Dwight playing in half of their games and with Terrence Jones missing essentially the entire season, the Rockets are 3 games out of the No. 1 seed. Now they're as healthy as they've been all year and they just added Smith, Brewer and Shved. Just look at this depth chart:

PG Patrick Beverley / Isaiah Canaan / Alexey Shved
SG James Harden / Jason Terry
SF Trevor Ariza / Corey Brewer / Kostas Papanikolaou
PF Josh Smith / Donatas Motiejunas
C Dwight Howard / Tarik Black

The Rockets went from being one of the thinnest teams in the league when they were banged up to now being one of the deepest. Harden might finally start getting some rest, and the Rocket bench should finally start being able to hang with other teams' benches. Not to mention the fact that the Rockets now have arguably the best defensive roster in the league and one of the deadliest in transition.

KnicksorBust
12-24-2014, 06:38 PM
It's hard for me to imagine a better situation for him than Houston. Starting at PF alongside a legit low post presence instead of SF along with two paint clogging bigs. Has capable shooters to space the floor and he can just do a little bit of everything. Some play-making. Some driving. It makes me think of Iguodala going to the Warriors. Statistically he won't look as impressive but he might just be the perfect fit and if he shows the type of focus he did the year he didn't take any threes this could be just the type of signing that takes Houston to the next level. I really don't see how in the big picture this hurts them. Especially considering he signed for a fraction of his actual contract. I'd say there's a 50% chance this helps, 40% chance it is a wash, and a 10% chance it hurts.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-24-2014, 06:39 PM
Good move.

Jamiecballer
12-24-2014, 06:42 PM
^ya, for every other NBA team

Howard_Zinn
12-24-2014, 06:46 PM
But let's not act like these guys are constantly jacking up 3s. Combined, they average about 3 per game, and both guys were playing more minutes for bad basketball teams than they'll get for Houston. My guess is that neither guy will be taking that many 3-pointers in this offense unless they're wide open shots like the ones Brewer got in his debut.

What about "long 2's"? ;)

Listen, I am a Pistons fan and have no problem with the Rockets.. They aren't even in our conference. But check this out; Why do you think Pistons fans never defended this guy with opposing fans? They might have when he first signed, but before his first season was over we knew Dumars made a HUGE mistake.. Josh Smith should have been in his prime when we received him.. His athleticism has decreased tremendously since his Atlanta days.. He clearly doesn't play above the rim anymore.. That he's never getting back.

He shoots from the worst positions on floor and when he has a good look down low, it's more of the same.. Brick City. Temper your expectations.. I realize getting a name like Josh Smith to add to an already great team seems like a perfect match.. But this guy is dangerously close to not even deserving to be in the NBA.. Pistons are 5-23 this year. -13 with him on the floor, +1 without.. I know that is a hollow stat but if you've watched them as much as us - it was getting hard to watch with him out there.

I really hope it works out.. I realize a 1 year deal is not a big deal.. But I wouldn't want Josh Smith on my team for free.

However.... If you can get him to play to his strengths, which are now passing ability, and handles for a big - MAYBE he can be useful.. That's if team officials can blatantly tell him quit shooting the ball..

We'll see, but I would bet the farm long 2's are heading to Houston very soon.

mightybosstone
12-24-2014, 06:47 PM
^ya, for every other NBA team

Explain this to me: how is this a bad move if you're Houston? It's essentially a 1-year, $2 million deal for a guy who may be having an atrocious season, but who is clearly a better player than this and who is worth a hell of a lot more than $2 million. At worst, he'll underperform, get benched and this will have little effect on the Rockets win-loss record. At best, he'll fit in, improve his shot selection, defend at a high level and make the Rockets a more complete, deeper basketball team.

Personally, I have my reservations about the guy, and I haven't been a fan of his in years. But I don't see why everyone's suddenly acting like the Rockets got substantially worse. It makes no sense.

brandt
12-24-2014, 06:50 PM
So freaking funny to me how all of these jealous haters are saying how this is such an awful move and they won't make it past the first round in the playoffs. They are playing better thank anyone other than Golden State and maybe one other team. Their chances are way better than last year, and this year they have been winning pretty much without 3 of their starters all season. Howard, Beverly and T Jones. They won't have to pay anything for him basically other than a few bucks compared to what he is owed by the Pistons. So what does Houston have to lose? They can let him go if he doesn't work out. After the way everyone was talking before the season even started, the Rockets weren't even going to make the playoffs. So the fact that they continue to prove all of these uneducated haters wrong, make's me happy!!!

mightybosstone
12-24-2014, 06:55 PM
What about "long 2's"? ;)

Listen, I am a Pistons fan and have no problem with the Rockets.. They aren't even in our conference. But check this out; Why do you think Pistons fans never defended this guy with opposing fans? They might have when he first signed, but before his first season was over we knew Dumars made a HUGE mistake.. Josh Smith should have been in his prime when we received him.. His athleticism has decreased tremendously since his Atlanta days.. He clearly doesn't play above the rim anymore.. That he's never getting back.

He shoots from the worst positions on floor and when he has a good look down low, it's more of the same.. Brick City. Temper your expectations.. I realize getting a name like Josh Smith to add to an already great team seems like a perfect match.. But this guy is dangerously close to not even deserving to be in the NBA.. Pistons are 5-23 this year. -13 with him on the floor, +1 without.. I know that is a hollow stat but if you've watched them as much as us - it was getting hard to watch with him out there.

I really hope it works out.. I realize a 1 year deal is not a big deal.. But I wouldn't want Josh Smith on my team for free.

However.... If you can get him to play to his strengths, which are now passing ability, and handles for a big - MAYBE he can be useful.. That's if team officials can blatantly tell him quit shooting the ball..

We'll see, but I would bet the farm long 2's are heading to Houston very soon.

Nobody has talked more **** about Josh Smith on these forums in the last 2-3 years than me. He's right up there with Rondo and Gay on my "crazy overrated, crazy inefficient players who get way too much credit for name recognition" list. I assure you that I'm tempering my expectations and that I'm admittedly a little concerned about what his shot selection will be like on this roster.

But the reason I'm starting to turn the corner on this is that it's a 1-year deal, and they gave up absolutely nothing to get him. It's essential a trial run. If the guy doesn't work out, than no harm, no foul. They can just bench him and let him go after the season. But if he takes fewer shots (pretty much a guarantee playing on this roster) and shows a little more determination on the defensive side of the ball (not that hard given who he's playing next to), I really think he could be a solid role player on this team.

Plus I trust Morey's judgment on stuff like this. I look at this roster, and I consider how much **** they got in the offseason. No one though Terry would provide anything, nobody had any faith in young guys like Motiejunas, Papanikolaou, Black or Canaan and no one thought Ariza would be a better fit than Parsons. Morey was right. The guy usually is. And if he sees something in Smith that he thinks could make the Rockets a better basketball team, I'm inclined to trust his judgment.

Jamiecballer
12-24-2014, 06:58 PM
Explain this to me: how is this a bad move if you're Houston? It's essentially a 1-year, $2 million deal for a guy who may be having an atrocious season, but who is clearly a better player than this and who is worth a hell of a lot more than $2 million. At worst, he'll underperform, get benched and this will have little effect on the Rockets win-loss record. At best, he'll fit in, improve his shot selection, defend at a high level and make the Rockets a more complete, deeper basketball team.

Personally, I have my reservations about the guy, and I haven't been a fan of his in years. But I don't see why everyone's suddenly acting like the Rockets got substantially worse. It makes no sense.
Adding a really lousy player with a questionable attitude often does make a team worse. Pretty straightforward if you ask me.

Howard_Zinn
12-24-2014, 07:01 PM
Nobody has talked more **** about Josh Smith on these forums in the last 2-3 years than me. He's right up there with Rondo and Gay on my "crazy overrated, crazy inefficient players who get way too much credit for name recognition" list. I assure you that I'm tempering my expectations and that I'm admittedly a little concerned about what his shot selection will be like on this roster.

But the reason I'm starting to turn the corner on this is that it's a 1-year deal, and they gave up absolutely nothing to get him. It's essential a trial run. If the guy doesn't work out, than no harm, no foul. They can just bench him and let him go after the season. But if he takes fewer shots (pretty much a guarantee playing on this roster) and shows a little more determination on the defensive side of the ball (not that hard given who he's playing next to), I really think he could be a solid role player on this team.

Plus I trust Morey's judgment on stuff like this. I look at this roster, and I consider how much **** they got in the offseason. No one though Terry would provide anything, nobody had any faith in young guys like Motiejunas, Papanikolaou, Black or Canaan and no one thought Ariza would be a better fit than Parsons. Morey was right. The guy usually is. And if he sees something in Smith that he thinks could make the Rockets a better basketball team, I'm inclined to trust his judgment.

I can totally understand that.

mightybosstone
12-24-2014, 07:11 PM
Adding a really lousy player with a questionable attitude often does make a team worse. Pretty straightforward if you ask me.
I'm more inclined to trust Daryl Morey's judgment than posters on PSD. :shrug:

D-Leethal
12-24-2014, 07:17 PM
One mans trash is another mans treasure. Its not rocket science to look at the change in roster situation and subsequent fit amongst his teammates and see exactly why Josh Smith's game has faltered since going to Detroit. He just went from arguably the worst fit of any roster in the league to arguably the best fit of any roster in the league. His game will skyrocket, great move for the Rockets.

D-Leethal
12-24-2014, 07:17 PM
Josh Smith is not a guy you can throw on any roster in the league and get net positive results, we all understand that, but he's not a guy you throw on any roster in the league and get automatic negative results either. Houston is a prime fit for him.

mngopher35
12-24-2014, 07:29 PM
Josh Smith is not a guy you can throw on any roster in the league and get net positive results, we all understand that, but he's not a guy you throw on any roster in the league and get automatic negative results either. Houston is a prime fit for him.

Kind of my thoughts as well. I sort of question his ability to play within the Rockets team game but if he does he will be better than we've seen recently.

Jamiecballer
12-24-2014, 07:59 PM
Then check your own post where you referred to him as a crazy inefficient player who is only noteworthy because of his past.

That was right before you decided to be an optimistic fan of the home team if I'm not mistaken.

Verbal Christ
12-24-2014, 08:01 PM
I'm getting a 2004 Rasheedy Wallace feel to this thing. Hope it works out like it did for the Pistons.

Tony_Starks
12-24-2014, 09:03 PM
I'm getting a 2004 Rasheedy Wallace feel to this thing. Hope it works out like it did for the Pistons.

For his sake I hope so. Always been a fan of his game and thought he got a bit of a bad rap.

Im not sold on his fit with you guys, I think he needs a better pg, but I hope he does enough to at least get his value back up for next year.....

Crackadalic
12-24-2014, 09:37 PM
Josh Smith is just added depth. He's not gonna put them over the top because the Rockets are already really good. Being a role player will be good for him anyway.

Just hope for Houstons sake he doesn't attempt a 3.

D-Leethal
12-24-2014, 09:44 PM
Then check your own post where you referred to him as a crazy inefficient player who is only noteworthy because of his past.

That was right before you decided to be an optimistic fan of the home team if I'm not mistaken.

Why do you continue to ignore the god awful position he has been thrust into in DET when acknowledging his sharp decline since being there?

MonroeFAN
12-24-2014, 10:11 PM

For reals? Rasheed was a significantly better player when we landed him. His game was based on fundamentals, Josh Smith's game is based on athleticism that is no longer existent.

ThuglifeJ
12-24-2014, 10:50 PM

Honestly laughed out loud to this.

This is a strange pickup after seeing monteunas and tjones play so well for them.

Oh well.

I'm not complaining....

ThuglifeJ
12-24-2014, 11:06 PM
So freaking funny to me how all of these jealous haters are saying how this is such an awful move and they won't make it past the first round in the playoffs. They are playing better thank anyone other than Golden State and maybe one other team. Their chances are way better than last year, and this year they have been winning pretty much without 3 of their starters all season. Howard, Beverly and T Jones. They won't have to pay anything for him basically other than a few bucks compared to what he is owed by the Pistons. So what does Houston have to lose? They can let him go if he doesn't work out. After the way everyone was talking before the season even started, the Rockets weren't even going to make the playoffs. So the fact that they continue to prove all of these uneducated haters wrong, make's me happy!!!

Its freaking December 24th...playing better than everyone else only really matters in April. You really think the fact you're playing better than San Antonio means much right now? Wait till they start trying and not resting starters to make a statement.

This time is just getting your team to develop and find its identity/roles and win games to keep the record/position in the conference looking good. GS is so impressive because they already look ready for the playoffs.

Just saying, don't start talking about your 'chances' till closer to April/may. Injuries do happen too ya know.

mightybosstone
12-24-2014, 11:12 PM

Instead of cherry picking which posts you decide to reference, how about following the entire thread and seeing my thought process before passing judgment? If you had, you'd see that I've been back and forth on this thing since Monday. I started off thinking fairly negative thoughts, but was starting to come around the more I thought about it.

Also, my biggest concern with the deal was that it was going to be two years. Because if had been two instead of one, then the Rockets would be stuck with the guy next year even if he sucked this season. With that concern out of the way, it makes this move much easier to swallow. There's very little risk involved at this point.

And if you have been reading my posts (which you claim to have done), you'd see that I openly admit that I've been insanely critical of the guy for years. But just because you're critical of a player doesn't mean that player still couldn't have a positive impact on your team. There's a lot of guys I'm critical of that I'd love to have in a Rockets jersey for a 1 year, $2.1 million deal.

mightybosstone
12-24-2014, 11:19 PM
This is a strange pickup after seeing monteunas and tjones play so well for them.

Not really. For one, there's a good chance Jones is going to miss the entire season. The guy has nerve damage in his leg and doesn't appear to be getting close to basketball ready anytime soon. As for Motiejunas, he has played extremely well, but you have to remember that the bulk of his great play came when Dwight was out with injuries. I love D-Mo, but he's more suited as a 5 than a 4, and he's going to be great as the primary backup big for the Rockets.

And then you have to look at the lack of depth the Rockets have at the bigs right now. Their best bench big has been Tarik Black, who has played extremely well for an undrafted rookie, but the guy is still an undrafted rookie. There's Joey Dorsey, but frankly, the guy shouldn't be getting minutes on a quality NBA team the way he's played thus far. Papanikolaou can play a little small ball 4 in a pinch, but you can't give him big minutes there.

Smoove is a good fit for what the Rockets do on both ends of the floor and they have been in desperate need of front court depth since Jones went down. Trust me. This signing makes a ton of sense.

Sadds The Gr8
12-24-2014, 11:27 PM
This is such an unusual move for a GM that is normally very savvy.
It's been known for the past few yrs that Morey has been desperate for stars. I know calling smith a star is laughable right now, but he does have the talent.

He's been saying he doesn't care about fit and that "the talent will figure it out".

nastynice
12-24-2014, 11:30 PM
I don't really know much about him, but I remember like 1-2 yrs ago there was a lot of positive talk about this guy, how come this year everyone been clowning him? Did he really fall off that hard?

mightybosstone
12-24-2014, 11:43 PM
Its freaking December 24th...playing better than everyone else only really matters in April. You really think the fact you're playing better than San Antonio means much right now? Wait till they start trying and not resting starters to make a statement.

This time is just getting your team to develop and find its identity/roles and win games to keep the record/position in the conference looking good.
Exactly. All the more reason for the Rockets to go out of their way to get deeper and find extra talent now. In one week, the Rockets went from one of the thinnest rotations in the league to one of the deepest rotations in the league. And it may take a while for all of these pieces to gel, but if they figure it out, the Rockets may very well still be one of the best teams in the league by the end of the season.

Just saying, don't start talking about your 'chances' till closer to April/may. Injuries do happen too ya know.
You're preaching to the choir here dude. I don't think there's a contender in the entire league outside of the Thunder that have had bigger injury issues up to this point than the Rockets. Again, all the more reason for the Rockets to add depth now to prevent that from being an issue later.

Jamiecballer
12-24-2014, 11:49 PM
Instead of cherry picking which posts you decide to reference, how about following the entire thread and seeing my thought process before passing judgment? If you had, you'd see that I've been back and forth on this thing since Monday. I started off thinking fairly negative thoughts, but was starting to come around the more I thought about it.

Also, my biggest concern with the deal was that it was going to be two years. Because if had been two instead of one, then the Rockets would be stuck with the guy next year even if he sucked this season. With that concern out of the way, it makes this move much easier to swallow. There's very little risk involved at this point.

And if you have been reading my posts (which you claim to have done), you'd see that I openly admit that I've been insanely critical of the guy for years. But just because you're critical of a player doesn't mean that player still couldn't have a positive impact on your team. There's a lot of guys I'm critical of that I'd love to have in a Rockets jersey for a 1 year, $2.1 million deal.
don't take it personal but I've read all the posts and you are totally talking yourself into it. if he helps you out great but this is a really dumb basketball player, the kind of player that often plays way more than he merits because of his tantalizing talent. I see risk and zero upside to this move personally. reminds me of knick fans when they acquired bargnani. well you get the point.

jp611
12-24-2014, 11:54 PM

No.

mightybosstone
12-24-2014, 11:57 PM
don't take it personal but I've read all the posts and you are totally talking yourself into it. if he helps you out great but this is a really dumb basketball player, the kind of player that often plays way more than he merits because of his tantalizing talent. I see risk and zero upside to this move personally. reminds me of knick fans when they acquired bargnani. well you get the point.

Well, then we see it differently. But again, I trust Daryl Morey over posters on the Internet. If he sees something in Smoove, then I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. The guy was completely lambasted this summer for what everyone thought was a disastrous offseason. It turns out that everyone was wrong and the guy actually knew what he was doing. He's earned a little leeway. And even if Smoove is a complete bust, he gave up literally nothing to get the guy. It's worth the risk.

Jamiecballer
12-25-2014, 12:00 AM
Well, then we see it differently. But again, I trust Daryl Morey over posters on the Internet. If he sees something in Smoove, then I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. The guy was completely lambasted this summer for what everyone thought was a disastrous offseason. It turns out that everyone was wrong and the guy actually knew what he was doing. He's earned a little leeway. And even if Smoove is a complete bust, he gave up literally nothing to get the guy. It's worth the risk.
Fair enough although I think you'd agree Morey's strength is uncovering gems not acquiring turds and turning them into diamonds.

numba1CHANGsta
12-25-2014, 01:20 AM
LOL @ Rockets fans thinking they're gonna win it all now

rockets-fan
12-25-2014, 01:24 AM

Just like we were thinking we were still going to be a top seed in the west after the "abysmal" offseason we had according to 95% of psd

Yeaaaaaaa just stop while your ahead and stop doubting Morey. There's anreason he's there and your here posting.

mightybosstone
12-25-2014, 01:39 AM

I don't recall seeing a single poster suggesting that the Rockets were going to "win it all." Is there a specific post you can quote that backs that up? And since you're saying "fans," you should be able to find at least two.

mightybosstone
12-25-2014, 01:46 AM
Fair enough although I think you'd agree Morey's strength is uncovering gems not acquiring turds and turning them into diamonds.
Generally yes. But the guy has done both. Jordan Hill was pretty much considered a bust before Morey acquired him in the McGrady deal and gave him a shot. He turned into a serviceable rotational player in Houston before getting more attention in LA. And Terry was pretty much considered done before he come to Houston in the offseason. Hell, most Rockets fans thought he would be nothing more than a trade chip. But he's been one of their most important players and best offensive performers on the whole team.

Although it's kind of hard to judge Morey on his ability to get veterans to play at a high level, because he's almost always worked with young guys since he joined the Rockets. He joined a franchise that was at the tail end of its run and about to go into rebuilding mode, so he's never really been in this situation before where he's targeted veterans to build out a contending roster.

FriedTofuz
12-25-2014, 03:41 AM
Some rocket fan said it earlier, just keep the ball in Harden's hands and let Dwight and Smith play D in the paint. That's the best way to use smith at this point considering how bad he's turned. If he starts taking 3s again then Houston is screwed.

IBleedPurple
12-25-2014, 03:44 AM
You can take Smith off the Pistons but you can't take the Smith out of Smith.Pretty much this. Don't see him taking a disciplined approach offensively. Dangerous move.

To the title, they're giving Smith Rockets to sign? He shoots everything else, look out.

rockets-fan
12-25-2014, 03:45 AM
I mean come on realistically, do you really think Harden is going to let Smith shoot threes? Rockets play harden ISO every play and he drives shoots or kicks it out ...or post up Dwight for a hook dunk or kick out...no room for his chucking, he won't have the chance to.

MTar786
12-25-2014, 03:58 AM
josh smith is trash.. maybe he will give them a little defense. but his negatives outweigh everything else at this point

tredigs
12-25-2014, 04:05 AM
Tough break having to replace what was looking like a breakout season from Terrence Jones into the wild card (does he even get that benefit of the doubt at this point?) that is J Smoove. It's such a high Usage/low % player to add mid-season and not expect problems... surprises me Morey would go for that. And his athleticism just isn't the same anymore. Not a very scary player even when he's on.

But, if things do work well and he somehow meshes in seamlessly, watch out. Another upper echelon West squad gets better.

FOBolous
12-25-2014, 04:32 AM

people just want to hate on the Rockets and they look for any reason they can to hate on the Rockets. literally every single transactions the Rockets have done, they hate on the Rockets for.

Rockets signed Howard...oh he's a cry baby, a career loser, a locker room cancer, and the Rockets are never going to win with Howard.

Rockets tried to trade Asik for Ryan Anderson...oh Asik sucks. why do the Rockets value him so much? he's not a good fit next to Anthony Davis...blah blah blah

Rockets let Lin and Asik go...Rockets going to suck now after losing so much talent/ they'll never make the playoffs, ect ect ect

Rockets let Parsons go and signed Ariza instead....such a bad decision by the Rockets. Parsons is a future all star. Rockets lost their potential "big 3." Ariza can never replace Parsons. Rockets suck now. They will miss the playoffs. blah blah blah.

Rockets doing well this year while Howard is injured...Howard is selfish. He's going to ruin whatever good thing Houston had going. Howard is washed up now. He can't help you. There are tons of centers better than him.

And now, the Rockets signed Josh Smith and you can see yourself how all the haters are reacting.

moshy2
12-25-2014, 05:46 AM
I mean come on realistically, do you really think Harden is going to let Smith shoot threes? Rockets play harden ISO every play and he drives shoots or kicks it out ...or post up Dwight for a hook dunk or kick out...no room for his chucking, he won't have the chance to.

Who are they kicking it out to? Smith won't just be staying in the paint. You're going to start hating him when he's taking those long 2's or 3's when the extra pass is there to a better shooter.

I don't hate this signing. I don't think it will hurt the Rockets, they won't let it. They aren't desperate enough to leave him out there to struggle too much. I have my reservations that he will suddenly be really good again. It was much more than just the team around him that caused his fall, he's not the same player. He can be a role player with ups and downs. His ups are higher than most role players but his downs can be, too. Like others have said, low risk-high reward if he really buys in and thats more than just taking less shots.

Goose17
12-25-2014, 08:28 AM

I agree. And he's usually a great poster but this is just blatant hypocrisy. You can't be ripping on a guy for so long and then start convincing yourself he's good just because he's playing for your team.

It's just homerism. Nothing more. Everyone can see it.

Goose17
12-25-2014, 08:31 AM

He's given up nothing? Aside from adding a player that could single handedly kill your post season and drop you guys 2 or 3 seeds within the space of a month. Comfortably.

rockets-fan
12-25-2014, 09:02 AM
I agree. And he's usually a great poster but this is just blatant hypocrisy. You can't be ripping on a guy for so long and then start convincing yourself he's good just because he's playing for your team.

I don't think he's being a homer, I think he's talking himself into it because Morey believes in Smith.

At least that's the case for me. I hate smith as a player, always have, but if Morey sees that he can help, then I trust Morey. What's the worst love Morey has made for the rockets? Giving Lin that contract? He did it for money generating purposes before harden was here.

We have a saying in the Rockets forum, IN MOREY WE TRUST.

moshy2
12-25-2014, 09:13 AM
He's given up nothing? Aside from adding a player that could single handedly kill your post season and drop you guys 2 or 3 seeds within the space of a month. Comfortably.

I don't think he could do that at all. He's being added as a role player not the 3rd member of the big 3. They've done well enough without him, they won't let him kill anything. If he plays bad he's benched

mightybosstone
12-25-2014, 09:36 AM

First off, merry Christmas (and I mean that sarcastically, because you're being an ***). Secondly, quit putting words in my mouth. I never once said that Smith was "good." What I've said this entire time is that it's a low risk, high reward move, and that if Smith can play to his strengths a little more, he could be a nice addition and fit in well.

I've also consistently said that I trust the judgment of Daryl Morey. Personally, I haven't liked Smoove as a player in years, but if Morey sees something in the guy, there must be something worth signing him for.

That's idiotic. You're not even thinking logically anymore. If the Rockets started to suck with Smoove, why wouldn't McHale just bench him? If you add a guy mid-season for a 1-year, $2 million deal, you don't keep giving that guy starter minutes if he's horrible and your team starts to suck. You bench him and give the minutes to whoever is playing better.

Seriously, have you never watched sports before? Have you no idea whatsoever how free agent acquisitions work?

PurpleLynch
12-25-2014, 09:41 AM
I'm eager to see Smith playing with his buddy Howard.
I don't like him,but if they force him to just taking shots near the rim and playing defense it could be good for them.

sep11ie
12-25-2014, 10:23 AM
Smith has only shot 37 threes this season. Not an ungodly amount.

ewing
12-25-2014, 11:18 AM
I loved his guys upside when he came in the league. To his credit he has done more with it then Tryus Thomas

Saddletramp
12-25-2014, 11:19 AM
When Smith was a free agent a few years ago, Rockets fans were worried that the Rockets would sign him at $12 million a season or whatever and we were all hoping that that wouldn't happen. When Detroit signed him, we were relieved. The difference now is threefold: 1) it's not long term and if it doesn't work out, it'll be over by the offseason; 2) it's not cap crippling at only $2 millionish and 3) I think he's being humbled with getting cut and taking the brunt of the Pistons failings this year. Playing on a better team with a friendlier coach, one of his best friends and not having the need to take bad shots and "take over games", I think he'll mature and try to mold into the team, not have the team mold around him. And if not? Morey will just cut him and the worst thing that will happen is maybe ticking off Dwight.

Time will tell, but adding what he can potentially provide at a low cost is totally different from committing to pay a guy $48 over 4 or whatever was rumored a few years back and I think that's why Rockets fans are more accepting than if Morey was signing or trading for him.

ewing
12-25-2014, 11:21 AM
Yeah i see this one as a true flyer. I honestly don't see him having much impact but...

Tg11
12-25-2014, 01:33 PM
Smith, Harden and Howard that is a winning combination

mark1125
12-25-2014, 02:17 PM
Personally I think Smith is junk but it is a low risk move that MAY pay some dividends. If he blows or returns to chucking.....he gets benched or cut again.

Tg11
12-25-2014, 02:18 PM
But honestly I think the Rockets now with Smith could be deadly

Shammyguy3
12-25-2014, 02:35 PM
It's definitely a very low risk move with high reward. Not quite as much as when the Spurs brought back Stephen Jackson, but similar in that it was only a 1 year deal and they were able to give him the boot when it didn't work out. I however don't see this working out for the Rockets at all

Corey
12-25-2014, 02:48 PM
I loved his guys upside when he came in the league. To his credit he has done more with it then Tryus Thomas

Honestly forgot Tyrus Thomas existed. Even Glen Davis is more relevant than him. Jeesh.

Anyways, on the signing, very low risk with a very high reward. I like it for Houston. I do like Terrence Jones a lot, and think he's starter quality, but Smith at his best is definitely an upgrade, and is depth in the very least.

Jamiecballer
12-25-2014, 04:20 PM
First off, merry Christmas (and I mean that sarcastically, because you're being an ***). Secondly, quit putting words in my mouth. I never once said that Smith was "good." What I've said this entire time is that it's a low risk, high reward move, and that if Smith can play to his strengths a little more, he could be a nice addition and fit in well.

I've also consistently said that I trust the judgment of Daryl Morey. Personally, I haven't liked Smoove as a player in years, but if Morey sees something in the guy, there must be something worth signing him for.

That's idiotic. You're not even thinking logically anymore. If the Rockets started to suck with Smoove, why wouldn't McHale just bench him? If you add a guy mid-season for a 1-year, $2 million deal, you don't keep giving that guy starter minutes if he's horrible and your team starts to suck. You bench him and give the minutes to whoever is playing better.

Seriously, have you never watched sports before? Have you no idea whatsoever how free agent acquisitions work?
You sound like you are living in a fantasy world with this post.

rockets-fan
12-25-2014, 05:26 PM

Not really, not at all actually

Saddletramp
12-25-2014, 06:15 PM

We've all seen enough of your posts to consider that a compliment.

Jamiecballer
12-25-2014, 06:16 PM
Not really, not at all actually
Sure he is. He's living in a world where coaches don't have to navigate tricky scenarios like managing players egos and expectations.

We all know there are tons of players our there playing way more mins than they deserve because of past performance, or verbal agreements made during the courting phase of the player. Its highly unlikely he was told you probably won't play much and he was like "where do I sign!".

And what about friendships in the room, or the ramifications of a noted malcontent if he is ultimately reduced to a minor role? Low risk my ***.

Jamiecballer
12-25-2014, 06:17 PM
We've all seen enough of your posts to consider that a compliment.
No clue what that means but thanks

JasonJohnHorn
12-25-2014, 09:14 PM
My condolences to Rockets fans.

I hope they waive him as well, before he fawks the team up.

That is the last thing the Rockets need. TWO guys (Dwight and Smith) who think they can shoot and want the ball more.

If the Rockets can get him to focus on defense and move well without the ball, great.... the chances of McHale doing that are slim to none.

This is subtraction through addition.

rockets-fan
12-25-2014, 09:24 PM

That is the last thing the Rockets need. TWO guys (Dwight and Smith) who think they can shoot and want the ball more.

If the Rockets can get him to focus on defense and move well without the ball, great.... the chances of McHale doing that are slim to none.

Dig betthats he becomes a valuable role player and everyone ignores it because they were wrong. Happens with every move the Rockets make.

brandt
12-26-2014, 12:38 AM

To say that Dwight Howard only THINKS he can shoot after averaging 19 points a game, says to me that you don't know what you are talking about.

brandt
12-26-2014, 12:41 AM
people just want to hate on the Rockets and they look for any reason they can to hate on the Rockets. literally every single transactions the Rockets have done, they hate on the Rockets for.

Rockets signed Howard...oh he's a cry baby, a career loser, a locker room cancer, and the Rockets are never going to win with Howard.

Rockets tried to trade Asik for Ryan Anderson...oh Asik sucks. why do the Rockets value him so much? he's not a good fit next to Anthony Davis...blah blah blah

Rockets let Lin and Asik go...Rockets going to suck now after losing so much talent/ they'll never make the playoffs, ect ect ect

Rockets let Parsons go and signed Ariza instead....such a bad decision by the Rockets. Parsons is a future all star. Rockets lost their potential "big 3." Ariza can never replace Parsons. Rockets suck now. They will miss the playoffs. blah blah blah.

Rockets doing well this year while Howard is injured...Howard is selfish. He's going to ruin whatever good thing Houston had going. Howard is washed up now. He can't help you. There are tons of centers better than him.

And now, the Rockets signed Josh Smith and you can see yourself how all the haters are reacting.

Thank you for this. My thoughts exactly.

brandt
12-26-2014, 12:55 AM
Tough break having to replace what was looking like a breakout season from Terrence Jones into the wild card (does he even get that benefit of the doubt at this point?) that is J Smoove. It's such a high Usage/low % player to add mid-season and not expect problems... surprises me Morey would go for that. And his athleticism just isn't the same anymore. Not a very scary player even when he's on.

But, if things do work well and he somehow meshes in seamlessly, watch out. Another upper echelon West squad gets better.

Terrence Jones has been out with an injury almost the entire season. Breakout season? lol. Funny how people think one player like Josh Smith is going to destroy a team that has already had to play without 3 of their starters for almost the whole season, (Terrence Jones, Pat Beverly and D Howard) and have still managed to already have 20 wins. And they are also winning without Omer Asik, C Parsons AND J Lin who everyone trashed the Rockets for getting rid of. Looks like they are doing ok without them. If he doesn't work out then you bench him and get rid of him for pretty much nothing.

ewing
12-26-2014, 02:07 AM
Honestly forgot Tyrus Thomas existed. Even Glen Davis is more relevant than him. Jeesh.

Anyways, on the signing, very low risk with a very high reward. I like it for Houston. I do like Terrence Jones a lot, and think he's starter quality, but Smith at his best is definitely an upgrade, and is depth in the very least.

I like Jones too. I like him more then Smith but like you said low risk high reward and depth.

Verbal Christ
12-26-2014, 03:25 AM
#passiveagressivepersonalitydisorder

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive-aggressive_behavior#Passive-aggressive_personality_disorder

#bewell

Saddletramp
12-26-2014, 03:58 AM
#noonewantedsmithatfoursyearsfiftysixmilliondollar sbuttwomillionforoneseasonitsworththeriskcalmthehe ckdownbroifitworksitworksifitdoesntitdoesntonlytim ewilltell

Happy Holidays, ThuglifeBro

Ariza's Better
12-26-2014, 05:16 AM
Oh poor rockets fans. Poor poor rockets fans. How dare someone not support this long running immensely respected franchise, its honorable players, and all of its moves.

I've never understood why everyone just doesn't get down on two knees and bow to the Rockets franchise with all their great success to start this regular season. Surpassing the expectations of this beginning third of the season, overcoming all odds. WHO KNEW the rockets would be a top 4 seed in the west right now. Incredible! These meanies said we might not even make it to the playoffs. I mean who cares about past and current reputation of this Smith guy we traded for, its MOREY. Daryl freakin Morey! He was baptized in the river of styx and touched by the angel of Naismith himself! We loved parsons but seriously hes not that good anymore we were just saying that, when we said Smith is trash like a few weeks ago we actually meant 'one man's trash is another man's treasure' duh. Not like trash trash.

#HATERZgoneHATE
#moreyweTRUST
We signed Smith not traded. So close to having a solid sarcastic post but now you look stupid. Oh well, better luck next time.

Ariza's Better
12-26-2014, 05:18 AM
I like Jones too. I like him more then Smith but like you said low risk high reward and depth.
The problem with jones is he is PF stuck in a SF body. He constantly gets outmuscled.

gaughan333
12-26-2014, 08:51 AM
Oh poor rockets fans. Poor poor rockets fans. How dare someone not support this long running immensely respected franchise, its honorable players, and all of its moves.

I've never understood why everyone just doesn't get down on two knees and bow to the Rockets franchise with all their great success to start this regular season. Surpassing the expectations of this beginning third of the season, overcoming all odds. WHO KNEW the rockets would be a top 4 seed in the west right now. Incredible! These meanies said we might not even make it to the playoffs. I mean who cares about past and current reputation of this Smith guy we traded for, its MOREY. Daryl freakin Morey! He was baptized in the river of styx and touched by the angel of Naismith himself! We loved parsons but seriously hes not that good anymore we were just saying that, when we said Smith is trash like a few weeks ago we actually meant 'one man's trash is another man's treasure' duh. Not like trash trash.

#HATERZgoneHATE
#moreyweTRUST

this made me laugh

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-26-2014, 10:15 AM
Did the Rockets trade a player to clear a roster spot yet?

mightybosstone
12-26-2014, 11:06 AM

Edit: Actually, on second thought, I'm just going to let this slide. There's a good chance that what I just said was going to get me banned for a while, and I'd rather that not happen.

So let's just say we agree to disagree. Plus, arguing this one way or the other right now is futile anyway. The only way to prove whether it will be a success or a failure will be to let them play the games and talk about it afterward. Let's revisit this conversation in a few weeks.

mightybosstone
12-26-2014, 11:25 AM
I don't think you're quite getting the point of his post, dude. It's not about the fact that PSD doesn't bow down and praise every move the Morey has made. Hell, I certainly don't. It's that almost every move that Morey has made in the last 2-3 years with the exception of Lin has turned out to be a pretty damn good one, yet each of those moves was totally lambasted by posters on PSD.

At some point, maybe Morey is right and the PSD NBA forum is wrong, don't you think? :shrug:

I've never understood why everyone just doesn't get down on two knees and bow to the Rockets franchise with all their great success to start this regular season. Surpassing the expectations of this beginning third of the season, overcoming all odds. WHO KNEW the rockets would be a top 4 seed in the west right now. Incredible! These meanies said we might not even make it to the playoffs.
No one's saying that success a third of the way through the season means something. But the Rockets have been an unquestionably better basketball team through 27 games (20-7 compared to 17-10 last year). Yes, they're only fourth in the West, but the West has gotten even better this year and they're only 2 1/2 games out of first place. Although I agree with you that the Rockets don't deserve a ton of credit yet. They may be playing a lot better than expected by this forum, but if they can't close out the rest of the season playing well and make a solid playoff run, none of it matters.

I mean who cares about past and current reputation of this Smith guy we traded for, its MOREY. Daryl freakin Morey! He was baptized in the river of styx and touched by the angel of Naismith himself!

I'm skeptical of Smith. I've admitted it multiple times, and I think a lot of Rockets fans are. But say what you will about Morey, but the guy does deserve some leeway in making a move like this. If he thinks it will help the team I'm for it. Plus, I don't see any reason the Rockets deserve criticism for this deal. Why? It's a one-year deal for little money in which they gave up no assets whatsoever. And it's not like they were the only competent team after Smith.

We loved parsons but seriously hes not that good anymore we were just saying that, when we said Smith is trash like a few weeks ago we actually meant 'one man's trash is another man's treasure' duh. Not like trash trash.
Meh. I'd say Parsons is pretty much the same player as he was last season statistically. He's posted pretty much the same numbers the last three seasons actually with just a slight deviation here or there in certain stats. But regardless of whether it's this season's Parsons or last season's Parsons, that dude is not worth $15 million. Not remotely.

And frankly Smith is trash this season. His numbers this year have been abysmal. There are probably high school basketball players and 45-year old former NBA players who could play that many minutes in an NBA game and score more efficiently. But even if this guys sucks, what's the downside? That's sort of been my point in this thread. If he's great, then the team will get better, and that's awesome. But if he's still terrible, what huge negative effect will it have on Houston, who can just bench him and let his contract expire? I just don't get it.

Jamiecballer
12-26-2014, 12:11 PM
Edit: Actually, on second thought, I'm just going to let this slide. There's a good chance that what I just said was going to get me banned for a while, and I'd rather that not happen.

So let's just say we agree to disagree. Plus, arguing this one way or the other right now is futile anyway. The only way to prove whether it will be a success or a failure will be to let them play the games and talk about it afterward. Let's revisit this conversation in a few weeks.

probably for the best. no point getting upset over a disagreement on a sports forum. happy holidays.

Htownballa1622
12-26-2014, 12:49 PM
Tarik Black has been waived.

175k cap hit for Houston.

With Black's team friendly contact he will get picked up off of waivers. Let's see Cuban go after him since he loves dipping in our former roster.

DetroitBadBoy
12-26-2014, 01:41 PM
Smoove was one of my favorite players until he came to the Pistons. Like Phenom said, he plays lazy and Drummond was always paying for it, getting fouls trying to defend the paint to make up for Smith's lack of IQ on D. But hey, congrats Rockets fans, you will sign him for cheap, so you can't beat that.

Excited to watch our teams new direction, starting tonight.

mightybosstone
12-26-2014, 01:43 PM
Ouch. Now I like this Josh Smith deal a hell of a lot less. Black was having a great rookie season. I'm actually shocked that they waive him. If Smith doesn't perform now, this is going to look bad for the front office.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-26-2014, 02:47 PM
Sounded like the Rockets wanted to make a trade to open up a roster spot. But teams knew they were pressed for time to land Smith so all teams waited. Rockets wont have to pay Black's salary since tons of teams covet Black. He will be picked up off of waiver wire according to yahoo WOJ.

FOBolous
12-26-2014, 03:13 PM
why to Rockets fan on the board waste their time responding to Thuglife? it's obvious he enjoys trolling rockets fans yet yall continue to give him ammo. he's laughing his butt off while yall write essays responding to him. seriously. add him to your ignore list like i did. don't feed the troll.

and the only time i EVER see him post is when he trolls rockets fans. i don't remember ever seeing him post in any non-rockets related threads.

Verbal Christ
12-26-2014, 03:26 PM
Did the Rockets trade a player to clear a roster spot yet?

Rockets waived Tarik Black to make room. I wish it would have been Dorsey but his goddamn guaranteed money saved him. I think Black has what it takes to stick and I'm positive will be claimed by another team.

mightybosstone
12-26-2014, 05:07 PM
why to Rockets fan on the board waste their time responding to Thuglife? it's obvious he enjoys trolling rockets fans yet yall continue to give him ammo. he's laughing his butt off while yall write essays responding to him. seriously. add him to your ignore list like i did. don't feed the troll.

and the only time i EVER see him post is when he trolls rockets fans. i don't remember ever seeing him post in any non-rockets related threads.

Yeahhh... We've been through that whole thing already. He's actually cut back quite a bit in recent weeks until the last couple of days. I even removed him from my block list. I'm so proud of him.

Deception
12-26-2014, 05:13 PM
Any scouting on Tarik Black? Does the guy have a jump shot at all? His highlights make it seem like he's a clean up man, grabbing board and occasionally tipping them in.

Htownballa1622
12-26-2014, 07:08 PM
Any scouting on Tarik Black? Does the guy have a jump shot at all? His highlights make it seem like he's a clean up man, grabbing board and occasionally tipping them in.

Exactly.

He can dive to basket and is a pretty good offensive rebounder while finishing decently.

His free throw form is ok but he doesn't hit them consistently.
Big hands/long arms makes up for his not so 6'11(he's listed at this) frame.

Not much of a jumper BUT he's a rook. Maybe he develops it.

Deception
12-26-2014, 07:55 PM
Exactly.

He can dive to basket and is a pretty good offensive rebounder while finishing decently.

His free throw form is ok but he doesn't hit them consistently.
Big hands/long arms makes up for his not so 6'11(he's listed at this) frame.

Not much of a jumper BUT he's a rook. Maybe he develops it.

Kinda want my Pistons to grab him and hope he develops a shot. Looks like he has a hell of a motor and you can't teach that. Reminds me a little of Kyle O'Quinn

kobe4thewinbang
12-26-2014, 08:57 PM

:yawn:Why is it funny? Last I remember, Lakers kicked their *** when they had Yao Ming *and* T-Mac.

ghettosean
12-26-2014, 09:22 PM

#HATERZgoneHATE
#moreyweTRUST

:laugh:

Htownballa1622
12-26-2014, 09:32 PM
Kinda want my Pistons to grab him and hope he develops a shot. Looks like he has a hell of a motor and you can't teach that. Reminds me a little of Kyle O'Quinn
Yeah he's definitely a guy you want to root for. If he could develop a jumper maybe he could end up like a Carl Landry but that's expecting a bit imo.

Why is it funny? Last I remember, Lakers kicked their *** when they had Yao Ming *and* T-Mac.
K

mightybosstone
12-27-2014, 12:12 AM
Not a bad start for Smoove in a Rockets jersey tonight. He was inefficient but made more than his fair share of plays. If he doesn't play well tonight, the Rockets don't win that game. And it was a big win.

Deception
12-27-2014, 12:33 AM
Not a bad start for Smoove in a Rockets jersey tonight. He was inefficient but made more than his fair share of plays. If he doesn't play well tonight, the Rockets don't win that game. And it was a big win.

I wonder if this is a situation like the Rockets when Gay was traded and both teams got better. Granted we released Smith and Houston was already good before him but we played extremely well without him and shot over 50% as a team which we hadn't done all season.

kobe4thewinbang
12-27-2014, 12:46 AM
KI'm just saying don't be so touchy. It's perfectly reasonable to question this move by the Rockets, when J-Smoove is not playing 'smoove' at all.

Sly Guy
12-27-2014, 12:50 AM

I lol'd.....well played

brandt
12-27-2014, 01:00 AM
Why is it funny? Last I remember, Lakers kicked their *** when they had Yao Ming *and* T-Mac.

You didn't kick their *** at all. Yao AND T-Mac were both hurt and they still took you to 7 games right before the finals.

jp611
12-27-2014, 01:25 AM
Smith's first game w/ the team and he shoots the ball 21 times for 21 points. :laugh2:

He took more shots than anyone on the Rockets tonight.

kobe4thewinbang
12-27-2014, 01:37 AM
You didn't kick their *** at all. Yao AND T-Mac were both hurt and they still took you to 7 games right before the finals.How many championships has Houston won again? Hmm...just stop. Houston will be lucky to make it to the second round, if even that. Other than Harden, they're like a bit better than the Lakers.

Deception
12-27-2014, 01:58 AM
Laker fans, even when their season isn't going well, will always remind you of the past.

Ariza's Better
12-27-2014, 02:36 AM
Laker fans, even when their season isn't going well, will always remind you of the past.
I kind of feel sad for them really. Being stuck in the past.

gaughan333
12-27-2014, 02:46 AM
How many championships has Houston won again? Hmm...just stop. Houston will be lucky to make it to the second round, if even that. Other than Harden, they're like a bit better than the Lakers.

What does the past have to do with the current roster? The championship argument is old, awful, and lazy.

jerellh528
12-27-2014, 02:52 AM
Lol why even win championships if you can't mention them. It's bragging rights for fans, ofcourse the teams with little or zero championships will refer to it as "bringing up the past".

Ezio
12-27-2014, 02:52 AM
Smith's first game w/ the team and he shoots the ball 21 times for 21 points. :laugh2:

No way he takes more shots than Harden is what I was told.

Iron24th
12-27-2014, 03:41 AM
I kind of feel sad for them really. Being stuck in the past.

At least we have a past, what do you have?

Ariza's Better
12-27-2014, 03:51 AM
At least we have a past, what do you have?
What kind of response is that? Everyone has a past.

Deception
12-27-2014, 04:34 AM
Lol why even win championships if you can't mention them. It's bragging rights for fans, ofcourse the teams with little or zero championships will refer to it as "bringing up the past".

Little championships? The Lakers have a total of 16, Celtics have 17 then the drop off is to the Bulls with 6. Glad your team dominated in the past, congrats, however, Lakers ownership has gone to **** and it's fans who use the "At least we beat you in 2003" who make it even funnier to watch the Lakers crumble.

jerellh528
12-27-2014, 04:37 AM
Little championships? The Lakers have a total of 16, Celtics have 17 then the drop off is to the Bulls with 6. Glad your team dominated in the past, congrats, however, Lakers ownership has gone to **** and it's fans who use the "At least we beat you in 2003" who make it even funnier to watch the Lakers crumble.

Well, we won back to back like 4 years ago. Have fun while you can, lakers will be contenders within 3 yrs

FOBolous
12-27-2014, 07:19 AM
Well, we won back to back like 4 years ago. Have fun while you can, lakers will be contenders within 3 yrs

Not with Jim Buss as your owner and decision maker

Saddletramp
12-27-2014, 07:35 AM
I know Lakers fans have nothing else to discuss these days but back on track, Smith looked pretty good tonight. Very active with some great drives that either ended up around the rim or great passes that set up Ariza, Terry and Brewer well. Not too many chucks and played some pretty good D all while not having a single practice or knowing any plays of the team (then again, McHale's system isn't very complicated). Had some huge rebounds in OT and hustled great. If he keeps playing like this, I'll be a happy Rocket fan.

FOBolous
12-27-2014, 08:09 AM
]I know Lakers fans have nothing else to discuss these days[/B] but back on track, Smith looked pretty good tonight. Very active with some great drives that either ended up around the rim or great passes that set up Ariza, Terry and Brewer well. Not too many chucks and played some pretty good D all while not having a single practice or knowing any plays of the team (then again, McHale's system isn't very complicated). Had some huge rebounds in OT and hustled great. If he keeps playing like this, I'll be a happy Rocket fan.

nope they don't. they don't have anything else to talk about this days other than how much their team sucks and how they were good...once. back the days. kind of like that one star quarter back from high school who never made it in real life. and they don't have anything to look forward to other than an incompetent jim buss and a sorry team with no future

jp611
12-27-2014, 08:45 AM

Howard was supposed to keep him in check, I thought?

They won last night, but this dude is a ****ing head case.

Ariza's Better
12-27-2014, 08:59 AM
Howard was supposed to keep him in check, I thought?

They won last night, but this dude is a ****ing head case.
Yeah he was crazy last night, totally out control. it was tech foul after tech foul, 3pt shot after 3pt shot. He was totally out of control. Moron.

Corey
12-27-2014, 09:34 AM
How many championships has Houston won again? Hmm...just stop. Houston will be lucky to make it to the second round, if even that. Other than Harden, they're like a bit better than the Lakers.

Look, Im as keen on bringing up the past as anyone...I'm a Celtics fan and my team is in full rebuild right now (thank God), but what does Houston's title success (or lack thereof) have to do with this conversation? They've had much more recent success than Boston and LA combined. Love them or hate them, they're a talented team. I wish Boston had that roster right now.

mightybosstone
12-27-2014, 11:29 AM

The championship argument for teams like the Lakers and Celtics is pathetic and childish. Why? Because YOU did absolutely nothing to contribute to them. You just happen to root for a team that has historically been better. You probably just happened to be born in or near LA. OR you just root for the Lakers because it's easy and you're terrible fans. Regardless, you contributed exactly dick to any of their championships, and you don't matter.

Hell, I was lucky enough to be born in Texas. But unlike you, I don't go around bragging to California friends about how much better our economy is, how many California businesses are moving their headquarters to my state and how much cheaper the standard of living is here. And, frankly, I think that's way more worthy of being bragged about than which professional sports franchise has more titles.

Edit: And how many of those championships were many of you Lakers fans even alive for or remember watching on television? You're not only taking credit for things you had nothing to do with, you're bragging about things that happened either before you were born or before you were old enough to know what the hell basketball was.

mightybosstone
12-27-2014, 11:36 AM

Okay, but did you guys actually watch the game last night or did you just look at a box score and come here to post without any context? Because I actually watched the game, and aside from two long, ill-advised jumpers, the rest of his shots were around the basket and/or within the flow of the offense. He was driving to the basket, posting up and moving to the rim without the ball and getting fed by Harden.

I've already said the guy wasn't efficient last night, but he did play a good basketball game. And he's not likely to take 21 shots or take more shots than Harden on a nightly basis. That's just asinine. But Dwight was atrocious last night and Harden didn't need to take a ton of shots, because he was crazy efficient.

jerellh528
12-27-2014, 12:32 PM
The championship argument for teams like the Lakers and Celtics is pathetic and childish. Why? Because YOU did absolutely nothing to contribute to them. You just happen to root for a team that has historically been better. You probably just happened to be born in or near LA. OR you just root for the Lakers because it's easy and you're terrible fans. Regardless, you contributed exactly dick to any of their championships, and you don't matter.

Hell, I was lucky enough to be born in Texas. But unlike you, I don't go around bragging to California friends about how much better our economy is, how many California businesses are moving their headquarters to my state and how much cheaper the standard of living is here. And, frankly, I think that's way more worthy of being bragged about than which professional sports franchise has more titles.

Edit: And how many of those championships were many of you Lakers fans even alive for or remember watching on television? You're not only taking credit for things you had nothing to do with, you're bragging about things that happened either before you were born or before you were old enough to know what the hell basketball was.

This is stupid.
I can't be proud of my team's success now because I wasn't 6th man
Sorry about being from Texas though, must be a major drag. I know you guys love to compare yourselves to ca, but it ain't happening buddy. Too bad this is a sports forum and not a state forum.

Jamiecballer
12-27-2014, 12:51 PM
Okay, but did you guys actually watch the game last night or did you just look at a box score and come here to post without any context? Because I actually watched the game, and aside from two long, ill-advised jumpers, the rest of his shots were around the basket and/or within the flow of the offense. He was driving to the basket, posting up and moving to the rim without the ball and getting fed by Harden.

I've already said the guy wasn't efficient last night, but he did play a good basketball game. And he's not likely to take 21 shots or take more shots than Harden on a nightly basis. That's just asinine. But Dwight was atrocious last night and Harden didn't need to take a ton of shots, because he was crazy efficient.

Harden was incredible last night. Wowsers.

Jamiecballer
12-27-2014, 12:52 PM
This is stupid.
I can't be proud of my team's success now because I wasn't 6th man
Sorry about being from Texas though, must be a major drag. I know you guys love to compare yourselves to ca, but it ain't happening buddy. Too bad this is a sports forum and not a state forum.

i think he's right. if you derive your self worth from something a bunch of dudes you have zero connection with did, it's lame. sure it's cool and probably a great memory, but it's the equivalent of my dad can beat up your dad.

jerellh528
12-27-2014, 12:53 PM
i think he's right. if you derive your self worth from something a bunch of dudes you have zero connection with did, it's lame.

My self worth? Lololol
Why do you watch sports?

Jamiecballer
12-27-2014, 12:55 PM
My self worth? Lololol
Why do you watch sports?

you wouldn't be bragging about it if you didn't think it somehow made you superior. sorry to get real in here.

jerellh528
12-27-2014, 12:57 PM
i think he's right. if you derive your self worth from something a bunch of dudes you have zero connection with did, it's lame. sure it's cool and probably a great memory, but it's the equivalent of my dad can beat up your dad.

Okay nice little edit but I don't wanna hear you or mighty boos stone ever say anything positive about a win ever again since we can't be fans anymore and be proud of our teams

Jamiecballer
12-27-2014, 01:02 PM
Okay nice little edit but I don't wanna hear you or mighty boos stone ever say anything positive about a win ever again since we can't be fans anymore and be proud of our teams

oh i certainly didn't say anything about that. if you don't get what i'm saying just let it go. it's all good.

jerellh528
12-27-2014, 01:06 PM
oh i certainly didn't say anything about that. if you don't get what i'm saying just let it go. it's all good.

What're you saying then? How come you watch sports if you can't be proud of your teams accomplishments? I'm not allowed to because it wasn't this season? So how come we don't just change teams to the front runners every year.

Jamiecballer
12-27-2014, 01:21 PM
What're you saying then? How come you watch sports if you can't be proud of your teams accomplishments? I'm not allowed to because it wasn't this season? So how come we don't just change teams to the front runners every year.

so how about Josh Smith!!

mightybosstone
12-27-2014, 01:42 PM

Expressing your emotions after a win and bragging about all the titles your team has while rubbing in the noses of fan bases of poorer teams are two totally different things. If you want to be proud, that's totally fine, but you're deliberately doing it at the expense of other posters as if your fandom somehow makes you superior to them. That's not cool. It's pathetic.

jerellh528
12-27-2014, 02:12 PM
Expressing your emotions after a win and bragging about all the titles your team has while rubbing in the noses of fan bases of poorer teams are two totally different things. If you want to be proud, that's totally fine, but you're deliberately doing it at the expense of other posters as if your fandom somehow makes you superior to them. That's not cool. It's pathetic.

If that's pathetic what does that make all you guys who are relishing in the lakers being bad these last two years?

astrosmaniac
12-27-2014, 02:26 PM
If that's pathetic what does that make all you guys who are relishing in the lakers being bad these last two years?

They aren't relishing in that, they are relishing in the disappointment of the large number of ******* fans who continuously do what have been taking about

jerellh528
12-27-2014, 02:32 PM
They aren't relishing in that, they are relishing in the disappointment of the large number of ******* fans who continuously do what have been taking about

Even worse

mngopher35
12-27-2014, 02:49 PM
I am so shocked to come back in this thread to see some laker fans trolling rocket fans...

Anyways smith brought some of what the rockets were hoping to get last night. He also did some of what they probably feared by shooting so much. Overall if they can limit his selection even just a little bit I think this can really work out for them.

Is tjones for sure out this year?

astrosmaniac
12-27-2014, 02:55 PM
I am so shocked to come back in this thread to see some laker fans trolling rocket fans...

Anyways smith brought some of what the rockets were hoping to get last night. He also did some of what they probably feared by shooting so much. Overall if they can limit his selection even just a little bit I think this can really work out for them.

Is tjones for sure out this year?

McHale said last night that he's probably 4-6 weeks away. He's running on a treadmill at about 75% of his weight 2-3 days ago

Jamiecballer
12-27-2014, 03:53 PM
I was going to say exactly this. Nobody is relishing the Celtics sucking for example but then they aren't represented by such an exceedingly unlikeable former star either.

mightybosstone
12-27-2014, 06:01 PM

Go track down a single post where I did that. Please. Because I assure you I have not "relished" in anything on this forum. Is it nice to see the Lakers not be dominant for a change? Sure. But I don't need to rub it in Lakers' fans faces. Many Lakers' fans on this site, meanwhile, will take any opportunity they can to rub the success of that franchise in our faces. It's just totally classless...

kobe4thewinbang
12-27-2014, 06:19 PM
Little championships? The Lakers have a total of 16, Celtics have 17 then the drop off is to the Bulls with 6. Glad your team dominated in the past, congrats, however, Lakers ownership has gone to **** and it's fans who use the "At least we beat you in 2003" who make it even funnier to watch the Lakers crumble.Like the Rockets are going to win a championship in the next 10 years.

mngopher35
12-27-2014, 06:20 PM
McHale said last night that he's probably 4-6 weeks away. He's running on a treadmill at about 75% of his weight 2-3 days ago

Well sounds promising then, no need to rush anyways. Tjones, smith, Dwight, Dmo is a very nice front court rotation. I was a bit skeptical of the depth coming into the season but with Terry's play and the addition of smith and pop whatever this team is rounding out nicely.

mightybosstone
12-27-2014, 06:25 PM
Like the Rockets are going to win a championship in the next 10 years.

Why is that so far fetched? Right now they have maybe the best defense in the entire league, one of the best 1-2 punches in the league and they just became one of the deepest teams with the acquisitions of Brewer and Smith. Plus, Morey has a number of trade assets and a ton of cap flexibility. Given with where this team was at 2 1/2 years ago to where they are now, I see no reason why they shouldn't contend for the foreseeable future.

mightybosstone
12-27-2014, 06:28 PM
Well sounds promising then, no need to rush anyways. Tjones, smith, Dwight, Dmo is a very nice front court rotation. I was a bit skeptical of the depth coming into the season but with Terry's play and the addition of smith and pop whatever this team is rounding out nicely.

Yeah, I'm going to be very curious to see what they do with the big man rotation when Smith has some more practices under his belt and Jones gets healthy. I kind of wonder if they won't look to make a trade to deal Jones or Motiejunas to another team. I'm also interested to see what happens with the point guard rotation. Personally, I like Canaan better in this offense than Shved, but Shved has been the one getting minutes the last two games.

Regardless, the Rockets went from being one of the thinnest rotations in the league a couple of weeks back whenever everyone was hurt to having one of the deepest rosters. Once these guys start to gel, they could be very, very good.

mngopher35
12-27-2014, 06:36 PM
Yeah, I'm going to be very curious to see what they do with the big man rotation when Smith has some more practices under his belt and Jones gets healthy. I kind of wonder if they won't look to make a trade to deal Jones or Motiejunas to another team. I'm also interested to see what happens with the point guard rotation. Personally, I like Canaan better in this offense than Shved, but Shved has been the one getting minutes the last two games.

Regardless, the Rockets went from being one of the thinnest rotations in the league a couple of weeks back whenever everyone was hurt to having one of the deepest rosters. Once these guys start to gel, they could be very, very good.

I haven't seen tons of Canaan but have seen shved and think you may be right there. Shved can be streaky but does have some talent so maybe they are trying to see if he can fit in.

I am not sure about trading jones though, what would you be looking to bring in? I feel like keeping that front court group would be very nice. Is jones contract coming up and you just don't think they wanna pay him?

Ya the depth now is very solid after being a question. This is a pretty great team but so are all the west playoff teams at this point haha. Should be a heck of a post season for the west.

Iron24th
12-27-2014, 06:57 PM
What kind of response is that? Everyone has a past.

A past of 16 championships exactly, and the last two just 4 years ago, if you wanna play.

So, I repeat what do you have?

brandt
12-27-2014, 07:56 PM
I'm just saying don't be so touchy. It's perfectly reasonable to question this move by the Rockets, when J-Smoove is not playing 'smoove' at all.

He was playing for Detroit dude, what do you expect?

brandt
12-27-2014, 08:02 PM

They have won 2 back to back Championships if you must know, and I GARANTEE you that they will win another one before the Lakers do. I give you about another 10 years before you guys are good again. A bit better? lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are 4th overall in the entire NBA. you are what, 30th? Harden is not the only one carrying this team either.

Ariza's Better
12-27-2014, 08:33 PM
A past of 16 championships exactly, and the last two just 4 years ago, if you wanna play.

Play what? What the **** are you on about? Do you read other people's posts or just guess what they say?

mightybosstone
12-27-2014, 11:38 PM

No sir. The better question is what do YOU have? Zero championships, zero points, zero minutes played and zero value whatsoever. That's what. YOU accomplished nothing. YOU did nothing for the Lakers. So the next time you stand atop your pedestal acting superior to the rest of PSD, remind yourself what exactly you mean to the Lakers franchise you hold so dear: nothing.

FOBolous
12-28-2014, 04:42 AM

What do we have? We have a championship contending team while you have a garbage team that is no longer relevant. And probably never will be as long as Jim Buss is the owner. And you know what your team doesn't have? Phil Jackson.

5ass
12-28-2014, 10:16 AM
Lakers fans trolling rockets fans again, not surprised.

tredigs
12-28-2014, 11:46 AM
The bottom line is that with or without Smith, the Rox are playing like contenders. This is a scary good team at full strength. More fun to watch overall than most want to give credit for, too.

Iron24th
12-28-2014, 11:46 AM
How am I delusional. Please enlighten me on what I said that was "delusional." I'll be anxiously awaiting your response.

That's exactly right. I was a sports journalist for a while, and one of the very first things they tell you in sports journalism classes in college is to never ever refer to the team you cover as "we." Fans and media do not play the games, do not work for the teams and do not own the teams. Therefore fans and media do not get to include themselves when they refer to the team they root for or cover.

You and I and the rest of the PSD have done nothing to actually help win or lose games. Therefore we don't get to take credit for anything. And we have no right to act superior to other fan bases just because the team we root for happens to have had more success in the past or more success currently. That's totally ridiculous.

Also, your logic of insulting other fan bases because of the amount of championships they won has another major flaw. If fans wanted to root for the teams that had the most championships, they could do that. If that was the most important thing to me, I would just root for the Celtics and Yankees and Steelers. I don't, and most fans don't. Because the teams we root for matter to us beyond how many titles they win. There's something that innately draws us to those teams and that's important to us. So while I do want the teams I root for to win titles, ultimately whether they win any or not is pretty much irrelevant.

Probably every PSD poster says "we" about his team, so once again you're trying to act like you're superior to anyone, not surprising coming from you, and since some fans inject some money in tickets, or some merchandising for his team, you can consider they have some little kind of impact in the team's economy, without fans money, the league and the teams can't survive.

So once again with "your logic", your fellow rockets fans have the right to bait talking about some utopian future which guarantees nothing but Lakers fans can't talk about their glorious past?

Again, not surprising coming from you.

mightybosstone
12-28-2014, 11:57 AM
Probably every PSD poster says "we" about his team, so once again you're trying to act like you're superior to anyone, not surprising coming from you, and since some fans inject some money in tickets, or some merchandising for his team, you can consider they have some little kind of impact in the team's economy, without fans money, the league and the teams can't survive.
I'm not trying to sound superior, but saying "we" about the team you root for is incorrect. (On a side note, that was one huge run on sentence. Try to avoid using commas like they're periods.)

So once again with "your logic", your fellow rockets fans have the right to bait talking about some utopian future which guarantees nothing but Lakers fans can't talk about their glorious past?

Again, not surprising coming from you.
What? You keep lumping me into the same category as every other Rockets fan on this site, as if I have some kind of control over what they do or say. I'm not discussing some "utopian future," nor have I ever. Do I think the Rockets can contend with this current team for a few years? Yes. Do I think they necessarily will win titles? I have no clue, and championships simply aren't that easy to predict.

Also, if you look back at how this whole argument started in the first place, it didn't begin because a Rockets fan was bragging about how good the Rockets were going to be. It began because a Lakers fan claimed the Lakers crushed Yao and T-Mac the last time they met in the playoffs (an inaccurate statement) and then went on to brag about all the championships the Lakers have when he was corrected. Then other Lakers fan (including yourself) jumping on the "Look how many championships we have!" bandwagon.

Iron24th
12-28-2014, 12:52 PM
I'm not trying to sound superior, but saying "we" about the team you root for is incorrect. (On a side note, that was one huge run on sentence. Try to avoid using commas like they're periods.)

What? You keep lumping me into the same category as every other Rockets fan on this site, as if I have some kind of control over what they do or say. I'm not discussing some "utopian future," nor have I ever. Do I think the Rockets can contend with this current team for a few years? Yes. Do I think they necessarily will win titles? I have no clue, and championships simply aren't that easy to predict.

Also, if you look back at how this whole argument started in the first place, it didn't begin because a Rockets fan was bragging about how good the Rockets were going to be. It began because a Lakers fan claimed the Lakers crushed Yao and T-Mac the last time they met in the playoffs (an inaccurate statement) and then went on to brag about all the championships the Lakers have when he was corrected. Then other Lakers fan (including yourself) jumping on the "Look how many championships we have!" bandwagon.

So we can't lumping you into the same category as every other Rockets fan on this site, but you can regarding Lakers fans?

You're trying to be taken seriously on this site,but with posts like this you just can't.

mightybosstone
12-28-2014, 01:05 PM
So we can't lumping you into the same category as every other Rockets fan on this site, but you can regarding Lakers fans?

You're trying to be taken seriously on this site,but with posts like this you just can't.
I'm not lumping all Lakers fans together. I'm lumping together the multiple Lakers posters in this thread who used the "ringz" argument as an insult toward Rockets fans. Quit generalizing and using that as the basis for all of your arguments. If you're going to suggest that I did something, find an example of it and prove it. Otherwise, just stop. I don't appreciate you suggesting that I've done or said things that I haven't done or said.

Iron24th
12-28-2014, 01:11 PM
I'm not lumping all Lakers fans together. I'm lumping together the multiple Lakers posters in this thread who used the "ringz" argument as an insult toward Rockets fans. Quit generalizing and using that as the basis for all of your arguments. If you're going to suggest that I did something, find an example of it and prove it. Otherwise, just stop. I don't appreciate you suggesting that I've done or said things that I haven't done or said.

Do your homework, most of Lakers fans who are using the rings argument respond to most Rockets fans who are using the "we are contenders right now and you are not" argument.

Is it clear now?

curtcocaine
12-28-2014, 02:00 PM
Laker fans make me embarrassed to call ma self a Kobe fan.

ThuglifeJ
12-28-2014, 02:03 PM
Why can't Lakers use ringz in their favor? I don't get it, they earned it. Can't act like they didn't win 10+ championships, some repeats, heck a 3peat..had Magic, West, KAJ, Kobe, Shaq, etc..

I for one an jealous as hell that its not my franchise that has the richest history, multiple championships, and multiple legendary players and moments. Could you imagine if that's your team and players you got to be accompanied to. I have no idea what its like for your team (not just a favorite but thee favorite ) to win it all. Many don't.

Get over yourself Rox fans, your good now so enjoy it stop trying to shove it down ppls throats because you're NOT a Laker - Boston esque franchise or are disrespected or w.e the agenda is.

There's absolutely no way you wouldn't take LAs success/history, a championship 4 years ago, with bottom of league team now. If you could have all that and make a deal to have a bottom feeder for 1-2 years max no **** you take it.

jerellh528
12-28-2014, 03:08 PM
Why can't Lakers use ringz in their favor? I don't get it, they earned it. Can't act like they didn't win 10+ championships, some repeats, heck a 3peat..had Magic, West, KAJ, Kobe, Shaq, etc..

I for one an jealous as hell that its not my franchise that has the richest history, multiple championships, and multiple legendary players and moments. Could you imagine if that's your team and players you got to be accompanied to. I have no idea what its like for your team (not just a favorite but thee favorite ) to win it all. Many don't.

Get over yourself Rox fans, your good now so enjoy it stop trying to shove it down ppls throats because you're NOT a Laker - Boston esque franchise or are disrespected or w.e the agenda is.

There's absolutely no way you wouldn't take LAs success/history, a championship 4 years ago, with bottom of league team now. If you could have all that and make a deal to have a bottom feeder for 1-2 years max no **** you take it.

Nice post from an unbiased viewpoint. These rocket fans have been something else man, the nba's equivalent to the nfls Seahawk fans of late.

Saddletramp
12-28-2014, 04:33 PM
Nice post from an unbiased viewpoint. These rocket fans have been something else man, the nba's equivalent to the nfls Seahawk fans of late.

Unbiased? Lol, you do know who you're talking about, right?

This is a thread about Josh Smith going to the Rockets and how he's going to do with them this year. For some inexplicable reason, Lakers fans show up and start talking about championships the Lakers won in the past. The two do not remotely correlate. It's pretty embarrassing, Laker fans.

And, ThuglifeJ, I'm pretty sure if Vince Carter joined up with a new team and in the thread about it a few annoying fans of a team trolled the thread talking about how even if this signing helps VCs current team, it won't change the fact that their favorite team won a bunch of titles in the past. It has no place and is just trolling to troll.

Iron24th
12-28-2014, 05:01 PM
Unbiased? Lol, you do know who you're talking about, right?

This is a thread about Josh Smith going to the Rockets and how he's going to do with them this year. For some inexplicable reason, Lakers fans show up and start talking about championships the Lakers won in the past. The two do not remotely correlate. It's pretty embarrassing, Laker fans.

And, ThuglifeJ, I'm pretty sure if Vince Carter joined up with a new team and in the thread about it a few annoying fans of a team trolled the thread talking about how even if this signing helps VCs current team, it won't change the fact that their favorite team won a bunch of titles in the past. It has no place and is just trolling to troll.

Yeah act like some Lakers fans started it with no reason, like some Rockets fans have nothing to do with it.

Iron24th
12-28-2014, 05:32 PM
Back on topic:

Smith could be a good addition if kept in check, but his poor shot selection and his love to believe that he's a closer could be dangerous for houston.

rockets-fan
12-28-2014, 05:36 PM
He was very good in his debut. I liked his shot selection with the exception of a 3 he air balled and a long two, but every other dhit was a good shot and a couple were no call fouls.

I think playing here will push him to up his game

Saddletramp
12-28-2014, 05:56 PM
Yeah act like some Lakers fans started it with no reason, like some Rockets fans have nothing to do with it.

I see you just dropped it but screw it, I went back and dug these up:

Looks like another first round exit for the Rockets, then. LOL.

Smith for 3! Smith for 3! Wait...don't they have Jason Terry or that Harden guy to do most of the shooting?

Oh! Smith for 3! Smith is now 0-100 tonight from downtown.

That was the sixth post. After a few more Laker troll posts, HTB said:

To which noted troll chortles out (about 7 pages later, I might add):

What does this have to do with Josh Smith and the 2014-15 Houston Rockets?

To which Brandt replied:

You didn't kick their *** at all. Yao AND T-Mac were both hurt and they still took you to 7 games right before the finals.

And then we get what started the RINGZ idiocy that, again, has nothing to do with Smith or this years Rockets:

Stop living in the past. I was born and raised in Dallas and I'm still a Cowboys fan but I've never went into any other teams threads and said "This won't help them and even if it does we have more titles!" Grow up.

smith&wesson
12-28-2014, 06:01 PM
I think the addition of brewer and smith actually make the rockets alot deeper. If jones ever gets healthy and comes back they will be that much scarier.

Iron24th
12-28-2014, 06:48 PM
I see you just dropped it but screw it, I went back and dug these up:

That was the sixth post. After a few more Laker troll posts, HTB said:

To which noted troll chortles out (about 7 pages later, I might add):

What does this have to do with Josh Smith and the 2014-15 Houston Rockets?

To which Brandt replied:

And then we get what started the RINGZ idiocy that, again, has nothing to do with Smith or this years Rockets:

Stop living in the past. I was born and raised in Dallas and I'm still a Cowboys fan but I've never went into any other teams threads and said "This won't help them and even if it does we have more titles!" Grow up.

This guy kobefortheblahblahblah is a troll and not even a Lakers fan, I thought you would know it.

Nice try though.

mightybosstone
12-28-2014, 09:18 PM
Do your homework, most of Lakers fans who are using the rings argument respond to most Rockets fans who are using the "we are contenders right now and you are not" argument.

Is it clear now?

But Rockets fans didn't bring this up in the first place. A Rockets fan did not say "we are contenders and you are not, nah nah nah nah." A Lakers fan went out of his way to bring up the past, a Rockets fan corrected him and then he brought out the "ringz" argument. I'm not generalizing here. I'm talking about this particular instance. If you don't want Rockets fans to bring up the "we're contenders and you're not" argument, then don't bring up prior success.

Basically, use the old saying of "don't start nothing, won't be nothing."

Iron24th
12-29-2014, 02:29 AM
But Rockets fans didn't bring this up in the first place. A Rockets fan did not say "we are contenders and you are not, nah nah nah nah." A Lakers fan went out of his way to bring up the past, a Rockets fan corrected him and then he brought out the "ringz" argument. I'm not generalizing here. I'm talking about this particular instance. If you don't want Rockets fans to bring up the "we're contenders and you're not" argument, then don't bring up prior success.

Basically, use the old saying of "don't start nothing, won't be nothing."

Kobeforthewin isn't a Lakers fan, he's a troll and already admited to root for boston.

Saddletramp
12-29-2014, 04:00 PM
Kobeforthewin isn't a Lakers fan, he's a troll and already admited to root for boston.

Well I'm glad that he let you in on the secret. It doesn't matter who he roots for, he talks about the Lakers as "we" and starts saying things about rings. Does it matter who has the most rings in this thread? The rings argument has no basis right now, it's about Smith and the Rockets this year, not what the previous Lakers owner did for their championships.

Iron24th
12-29-2014, 07:43 PM
Well I'm glad that he let you in on the secret. It doesn't matter who he roots for, he talks about the Lakers as "we" and starts saying things about rings. Does it matter who has the most rings in this thread? The rings argument has no basis right now, it's about Smith and the Rockets this year, not what the previous Lakers owner did for their championships.

That's what a troll does, the ring argument isn't worse than the "contender argument".

Trueblue2
12-30-2014, 11:11 AM

Im a lakder fan too, i like that a winning tradition is a huge part of the teams legacy as much as any other LAL or BOS fan. That being said past championships mean nothing unless you're in a position to compete for another one. When the Lakers were a top team out west and winning rings thier total mattered because they were building on that legacy.

In the year 2014 on the other hand you have a good portion of the fan base rooting for losses, Kobe having his worst season yet, nobody on the team showing any real value, no superstar free agent on his way to save us (even if there was he wouldn't have a team around him), no more dr. Buss, and Phil Jackson in NY because Dantoni was chosen as coach instead (despite that '12 roster being perfect for the triangle).

We're not competing this year or next, we're not signing the type free agents that can be legit pieces to a championship team, we're not developing youth or a locker room with strong veteran leadership, and we're not even building for the future.

That's the reality of the current state of Laker basketball, and to say '16 rings DGAF' despite all that just looks bad on the fan base. Its basically conceding we have nothing to look forward to so we might as well look back. The history of the Lakers is great, but it has very little to do with the current state of affairs.

Iron24th
12-30-2014, 11:58 AM
Im a lakder fan too, i like that a winning tradition is a huge part of the teams legacy as much as any other LAL or BOS fan. That being said past championships mean nothing unless you're in a position to compete for another one. When the Lakers were a top team out west and winning rings thier total mattered because they were building on that legacy.

In the year 2014 on the other hand you have a good portion of the fan base rooting for losses, Kobe having his worst season yet, nobody on the team showing any real value, no superstar free agent on his way to save us (even if there was he wouldn't have a team around him), no more dr. Buss, and Phil Jackson in NY because Dantoni was chosen as coach instead (despite that '12 roster being perfect for the triangle).

We're not competing this year or next, we're not signing the type free agents that can be legit pieces to a championship team, we're not developing youth or a locker room with strong veteran leadership, and we're not even building for the future.

That's the reality of the current state of Laker basketball, and to say '16 rings DGAF' despite all that just looks bad on the fan base. Its basically conceding we have nothing to look forward to so we might as well look back. The history of the Lakers is great, but it has very little to do with the current state of affairs.

This is a classic rebuilding process, if you watched the 90's you can't be surprised, terrible choices led them there.

Some teams make 10+ years to rebuild properly, it will not take that long for us, and even if it would, not many fanbase watched that much titles from a pro sports organization.

We were blessed, whatever happens next, stop being ungrateful.

Trueblue2
12-30-2014, 04:19 PM
This is a classic rebuilding process, if you watched the 90's you can't be surprised, terrible choices led them there.

Some teams make 10+ years to rebuild properly, it will not take that long for us, and even if it would, not many fanbase watched that much titles from a pro sports organization.

We were blessed, whatever happens next, stop being ungrateful.

I totally agree with what you're saying, the Lakers have given thier fans a lot of fond memories and im not devaluing that at all.

I'm just saying that what they did over the past 15 or so years isn't relevant to today's team, continuously bringing up the history of the franchise when they're playing piss poor isnt a good look as a fanbase.

It's a red herring, something used to direct discussion away from the current state of the team. Other fanbases see that, it reeks of desperation.

Iron24th
12-30-2014, 05:46 PM
I totally agree with what you're saying, the Lakers have given thier fans a lot of fond memories and im not devaluing that at all.

I'm just saying that what they did over the past 15 or so years isn't relevant to today's team, continuously bringing up the history of the franchise when they're playing piss poor isnt a good look as a fanbase.

It's a red herring, something used to direct discussion away from the current state of the team. Other fanbases see that, it reeks of desperation.

I agree with the last part, but they'll figure it out or lose their job, time will tell.

albertajaysfan
12-30-2014, 07:05 PM
Not sure about this move for Houston. I actually think they would have been better off without Smith. They have been playing really well this year even with injuries.