PDA

View Full Version : The NBA Needs Flex Scheduling For Christmas Games

Wade n Fade
12-24-2014, 11:50 AM
The Knicks are not watchable this season. Flexing them a week or two in advance and giving a little bonus for the inconvenience would help players with an incentive while the fans can get better matchups.

goingfor28
12-24-2014, 11:53 AM
Lakers as well

InRoseWeTrust
12-24-2014, 11:57 AM
In general, I wish all major sports would adopt flex schedules for national games with more malleability than they have right now. I'm looking at you NFL...

Wade n Fade
12-24-2014, 12:13 PM
In general, I wish all major sports would adopt flex schedules for national games with more malleability than they have right now. I'm looking at you NFL...

Yep, Jags (fan of theirs, but still) vs Titans was not a fun TNF game. Too bad the NFL wants each team to play on TNF.

Cal827
12-24-2014, 12:13 PM
^ What? You didn't enjoy the Titans-Jaguars Thursday night game a week back? :laugh2:

2-ONE-5
12-24-2014, 12:14 PM
cant do it. have to think about fans too

InRoseWeTrust
12-24-2014, 12:21 PM
cant do it. have to think about fans too

I'm a Bulls fan (grew up in Chicago), but I live in LA. I don't know any Lakers fans that are looking forward to watching them on Christmas.

Cal827
12-24-2014, 01:24 PM
I'm a Bulls fan (grew up in Chicago), but I live in LA. I don't know any Lakers fans that are looking forward to watching them on Christmas.

He might be referring to ticket sales. It might not be to happy if they bought tickets to a game on Christmas (maybe a holiday gift) just to have it cancelled and rescheduled to another day.

Goose17
12-24-2014, 01:38 PM
I don't see how it gives incentive to the players... it just gives them a reason to suck. Nobody wants to play on Christmas day, they want to spend it with their families.

I'm with SVG on this,

"The league has been good to all of us in terms of what we get out of all these TV contracts and everything, so it would be a little disingenuous to complain too much," Van Gundy said. "But if I had my way, we'd take a five-day break at Christmas. I mean it."

"I think we get a little carried away with ourselves with sports thinking we're more important than everything else," Van Gundy said before the game. "But that's the way it is. There's nothing more important than the NBA on Christmas Day."

Van Gundy believes the day is best spent with family. He woke up early but managed to spend only about 15 minutes with his wife and four children. They went to church services the day before.

Van Gundy said he hadn't even had a chance to open his family's gifts before the 2:30 p.m. ET tipoff.

The only time he could recall watching a Christmas Day game was when his brother, Jeff, was coaching one of them. Van Gundy also said he doesn't watch NFL games on Thanksgiving.

"Christmas to me, obviously basketball is very important to me, but there are some days of the year where it's got to take a back seat to something," he said.

"I actually feel sorry for people who have nothing to do on Christmas Day other than watch an NBA game,"

I'm sorry but the players should at the very least get Christmas day and boxing day off. These people have families, some of them have kids who won't be seeing daddy on Christmas day because he has to travel to New York, L.A, Miami, wherever.

I don't care how much they're being paid, families have a right to spend Christmas day with their loved ones. Kids especially, you shouldn't have to spend Christmas without your dad if it can be avoided.

I'm 100% against it.

Wade n Fade
12-24-2014, 01:45 PM
Honestly, buying tickets turns into an assumption of risk in general. If you pay a guy a 175% markup on Stubhub for a huge game in like Denver (assuming the Nuggets are good) and if it snows? You cannot really get a refund since the sale is not contingent on good weather. I mean if the game is rescheduled, teams don't need to refund tickets either since you can still enjoy the product at a later date. You can sell the tickets as well. Each team has their respective ticket policies.

FlashBolt
12-24-2014, 02:44 PM
I get that NYK and LAL are huge markets and draw big money just for playing but in terms of watchability, they are fricking boring. For Christ's sake, no one wants to watch these two other than their respective fans. SAS vs OKC will be good (if KD plays), GSW vs LAC will be intense (CP3 vs best PG SC), and the main event IMO is LeBron's return. The game probably won't be competitive but this is going to obviously be the main event for Christmas. The other two games involving NYK and LAL are going to be a slaughterhouse. It should have been Dallas vs Houston, and Bulls vs Memphis. At least I have at least 5 hours of knowing what I'm not going to do.

More-Than-Most
12-24-2014, 02:54 PM
Yup it wouldnt be fair to fans nor would it be fair to players who make plans well in advance for said day when the schedule comes out... If you have flex scheduling players wont be able to make plans at all and would have to wait a few weeks before the date to see if they are playing or not

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-24-2014, 04:11 PM
Lakers just beat the Warriors so shut the **** up

lol

2-ONE-5
12-24-2014, 06:54 PM
He might be referring to ticket sales. It might not be to happy if they bought tickets to a game on Christmas (maybe a holiday gift) just to have it cancelled and rescheduled to another day.

yes this and vice versa too.

cheetos185
12-24-2014, 07:45 PM
If you don't like those teams than don't watch them simple.

ewing
12-25-2014, 12:21 AM
you guys are greedy

Tg11
12-25-2014, 01:34 PM
Other teams should be able to play on Christmas too teams like the Toronto Raptors should be able to play a Christmas Day game because I don't think they ever have before and I honestly would love to see the Raptors play on Christmas one day just to see what their Christmas jerseys would look like