PDA

View Full Version : Where would Jeff Green be a good fit? What is a good package for him?

Corey
12-23-2014, 12:24 PM
I haven't heard anything of real substance, but what teams do you think will be going after Jeff Green at the deadline? He's the best player on the Celtics, and they're probably going to give him a chance somewhere else while the rebuild continues.

He's silenced a lot of critics this year, and he's been a lot more consistent and aggressive. I dont really want to see him leave, but the writing is on the wall.

I could see OKC, Houston, Sacramento, Miami, Portland and a few others as potential trade partners.

This year he's averaging 19 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists on 45% shooting. He's not a 3pt shooter but he can still knock it down to keep defenses honest. He's also currently posting the highest WS/48 of his career on the putrid Celtics.

Thoughts?

Chronz
12-23-2014, 12:41 PM
Times like this i really wish doc didn't destroy our assets

Jamiecballer
12-23-2014, 12:47 PM
Raptors but I don't think Masai is interested in rushing the process so I think they stay patient with Ross

RLundi
12-23-2014, 01:16 PM
Back on the Thunder. In my mind, I've always thought that was the best fit for both him and OKC. Would've loved to see those guys grow and win a championship together. What has Perkins really done for them anyway?

Logically though, whichever team loses the Josh Smith sweepstakes will be locked into Green when he becomes available: Houston, Miami, LAC, OKC, Sacramento, maybe even Milwaukee or Dallas- all good fits I think.

Arch Stanton
12-23-2014, 01:47 PM
What do you think the Celtics want for him? A first round pick?

Tony_Starks
12-23-2014, 01:54 PM
OKC. I would seriously try to redo the Perk for Green trade. Adams has stepped up as a legit back up, they don't need Perk anymore.....

crewfan13
12-23-2014, 02:39 PM
Whichever contender needs a second unit scorer who doesn't really do much more than score. Although his per game averages look okay, his assist percentage and rebound percentages are not all that impressive, even when comparing him to other SF/PF types. But he's increased his TS% this year and turns it over less. He's a good player, but in my mind he's a good come off the bench piece. If he's scoring, he can be useful, but when he's not shooting well, he doesn't help a ton. A guy like that can be nice to have come off the bench. Use him heavily the games you need him and let him ride the pine on game he isn't shooting well.

goingfor28
12-23-2014, 03:01 PM
Clippers for Jamal Crawford amd Reggie Bullock?

xxplayerxx23
12-23-2014, 03:04 PM
Memphis for a first+ a young guy maybe?

SportsFanatic10
12-23-2014, 03:13 PM
OKC. I would seriously try to redo the Perk for Green trade. Adams has stepped up as a legit back up, they don't need Perk anymore.....

why would you expect boston not to laugh at you for offering perk. he's useless now, and boston has wright, olynyk, zeller, sullinger, and bass competing for minutes already.

MrfadeawayJB
12-23-2014, 03:58 PM
He'd fit perfectly with Memphis. The gm Chris Wallace has ties to Boston and has a known love of Jeff greens play.

chi-townlove1
12-23-2014, 04:19 PM
Honestly I think the Bulls are one of the few perfect fits for him. He can start, and if it doesn't take dunleavy to get him, then it gives us more wing depth off the bench.

Take any of kirk, dunleavy and snell. And our first rounder.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-23-2014, 04:37 PM
Houston will take him.

2-ONE-5
12-23-2014, 04:45 PM
He'd fit perfectly with Memphis. The gm Chris Wallace has ties to Boston and has a known love of Jeff greens play.

yea agree i think Memphis makes sense and he would fit right in and provide that wing scoring they lack

bucketss
12-23-2014, 04:49 PM
is it true he cant defend sf's

bbd24
12-23-2014, 04:52 PM
Memphis, for Tayshaun Prince's expiring + a first round pick.

Celticsfan2007
12-23-2014, 06:37 PM
is it true he cant defend sf's

He's not known for his defense but he has the size, strength and athleticism to guard the 3 fine and he can guard the 4 depending on matchups.

Corey
12-23-2014, 06:45 PM
What do you think the Celtics want for him? A first round pick?

That's what they've set his price at, I believe.

TheTreys
12-23-2014, 07:13 PM
New Orleans Pelicans for Eric Gordon and maybe a 2cd round pick so Jeff Green can fill the void at small forward, and help Anthony Davis.

Corey
12-23-2014, 07:25 PM
New Orleans Pelicans for Eric Gordon and maybe a 2cd round pick so Jeff Green can fill the void at small forward, and help Anthony Davis.

Gordon has a player option for 15+ next year.

Boston has Avery Bradley, Marcus Smart, Evan Turner, Marcus Thornton, Jameer Nelson, and rookie James Young looking to develop.

I dont really see it for them.

JustinTime
12-23-2014, 07:27 PM
Gordon has a player option for 15+ next year.

Boston has Avery Bradley, Marcus Smart, Evan Turner, Marcus Thornton, Jameer Nelson, and rookie James Young looking to develop.

I dont really see it for them.

Jeff Green For Bruno Caboclo

SluggeR
12-23-2014, 07:32 PM
Green and the Clippers would be good for one another.

JasonJohnHorn
12-23-2014, 07:55 PM
That's a tough one. If I am any team in the league, I am simply not interested in taking on the contract unless a first rounder is being sent to me with it, or if I'm Philly, at the very least a couple of second rounders.

Philly would be fine, because they are so far under the cap and they aren't trying to be good. Anywhere else, especially on a contender, Green would not be an upgrade at SF. He is a decent starter, and if he were a third or fourth option, or first guy off the bench... ok... but as a first or second option... you team is no making the playoffs if he is terrible important to your team. And if he is not that important, he is not wort the nearly 10 million per season he is making.

Charlotte might be a good spot.. Stephenson for Green straight up? Charlotte gets to dump the longer contract, Boston gets to see if Stephenson is just a victim of bad coaching....

The problem is, he's not a great shooter, not a great rebounder, not at a great defender. He's not a good play maker. What does he do besides play well, but not as good as most other SFs? Not much.

I guess Detroit could use him to replace Smith... but I wouldn't take on the contract if I was Detroit. They got cap space... might as well use it for somebody whose better.

There are a few teams that could use the depth, but not that should pay 10 million for it.

Boston's best bet is to just hang onto him and use him as trade bait next year since his contract will be expiring. Maybe somebody will be having a fire sale or something.

mjt20mik
12-23-2014, 08:01 PM
I think he would do well in Chicago tbh.

Then maybe Thibs would stop riding Butler so hard. I'm so scared he's gonna go down with an injury cause he's playing like 40 minutes a game.

Corey
12-24-2014, 03:05 AM
That's a tough one. If I am any team in the league, I am simply not interested in taking on the contract unless a first rounder is being sent to me with it, or if I'm Philly, at the very least a couple of second rounders.

Huh?

His contract isn't bad at all for his level of production this year. He's making 9.2 this year and 9.2 next year. For a 19/4 player that shoots 45% from the field is a pretty fair deal IMO.

rockets-fan
12-24-2014, 03:22 AM
Wish the Rockets could get him...we have no contracts to make it work tho

rockets-fan
12-24-2014, 03:24 AM
Beverly
Harden
Ariza
Green
Howard

With Smith, Pap,Dmo, terry off the bench.... Nice team

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-24-2014, 11:09 AM
Back on the Thunder. In my mind, I've always thought that was the best fit for both him and OKC. Would've loved to see those guys grow and win a championship together. What has Perkins really done for them anyway?

Logically though, whichever team loses the Josh Smith sweepstakes will be locked into Green when he becomes available: Houston, Miami, LAC, OKC, Sacramento, maybe even Milwaukee or Dallas- all good fits I think.

Bucks probably can be scratched off that list. Ersan was back from injury finally for last nights game. Also Giannis can play sf/pf. Also have Middleton at sf. So not many minutes for Green. Also doubt we would part with our own first for Green. But we do have the Clippers first in 2017 but it has protection on it. Plus JOB is back from injury as well. He can play pf/c. Also Inglis should be back within the month. But yeah when Ersan and Parker were injured. A pf like Green made some sense.

Celticsfan2007
12-24-2014, 11:53 AM

Philly would be fine, because they are so far under the cap and they aren't trying to be good. Anywhere else, especially on a contender, Green would not be an upgrade at SF. He is a decent starter, and if he were a third or fourth option, or first guy off the bench... ok... but as a first or second option... you team is no making the playoffs if he is terrible important to your team. And if he is not that important, he is not wort the nearly 10 million per season he is making.

Charlotte might be a good spot.. Stephenson for Green straight up? Charlotte gets to dump the longer contract, Boston gets to see if Stephenson is just a victim of bad coaching....

The problem is, he's not a great shooter, not a great rebounder, not at a great defender. He's not a good play maker. What does he do besides play well, but not as good as most other SFs? Not much.

I guess Detroit could use him to replace Smith... but I wouldn't take on the contract if I was Detroit. They got cap space... might as well use it for somebody whose better.

There are a few teams that could use the depth, but not that should pay 10 million for it.

Boston's best bet is to just hang onto him and use him as trade bait next year since his contract will be expiring. Maybe somebody will be having a fire sale or something.

What? By todays NBA standards, Green is vastly underpaid in comparison to his production. He has a player option next year for 9.2 million and will likely opt out in favor of getting a larger contract. The Celtics are ASKING for a 1st round pick, and would NEVER give up a pick in order to unload him. He's our best trade-able player left with Rondo in DAL now.

2-ONE-5
12-24-2014, 12:08 PM
Huh?

His contract isn't bad at all for his level of production this year. He's making 9.2 this year and 9.2 next year. For a 19/4 player that shoots 45% from the field is a pretty fair deal IMO.

it is a fair deal but hes not gonna score 19ppg on a contender

FraziersKnicks
12-24-2014, 12:42 PM
The Clippers seem like the most logical destination. Their 1st rounder isn't really worth a huge amount though.

JasonJohnHorn
12-24-2014, 01:05 PM
What? By todays NBA standards, Green is vastly underpaid in comparison to his production. He has a player option next year for 9.2 million and will likely opt out in favor of getting a larger contract. The Celtics are ASKING for a 1st round pick, and would NEVER give up a pick in order to unload him. He's our best trade-able player left with Rondo in DAL now.

I'm sorry, but I'm not interested in paying close to 10 million for a guy that frankly wouldn't even be a starter on a contender.

If the cap is around 60 million, and most teams get over to about 70 million with exceptions, that means that the average rotation player is going to make around 8-9 million, but given that there going to be 2-3 guys earning 14-20 million on a contending team, that means that of that 70 million, there is only 25 remaining and you got to fill out the other 5-7 guys in your rotation with that? Then yes, he is over paid.

the problem with the NBA today is that guys like Brandon Jennings make 8 or 9 million, so when a guy who doesn't such as bad as him only makes a little bit more, it look like a good deal. It's not.

9 million for a guy who can't rebound, can't pass and can't defend, AND is only an average scorer is NOT worth 10 million a season. It is a match-up they are going to lose on most nights.

Luol Deng only makes about a million more and he is infinitely more productive than Green.

It's not a good contract. My biggest issue with Green is how utterly average he is. Name one thing that he does significantly better than most players in the NBA?

nycericanguy
12-24-2014, 01:20 PM
Green was overpaid but with the new CBA and contracts going up his deal doesn;t look so bad anymore.

that being said, I kind of agree with above poster.

He's not really great at anything, poor defender, poor passer, poor rebounder especinally considering his size and hops. He's a below average 3pt shooter also and doesn't shoot a very high % overall.

On a good team he's probably a 13-14ppg scorer on 11-13 shot attempts but brings little else.

BOS could probably get a late 1st for him though.

teams could get the same type of production from JR smith, with better 3pt shooting and a much cheaper contract and JR can be had for free...heck we might even throw in Shump or Jason Smith or Dally if you take JR off our hands! lol

Celticsfan2007
12-24-2014, 01:46 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm not interested in paying close to 10 million for a guy that frankly wouldn't even be a starter on a contender.

If the cap is around 60 million, and most teams get over to about 70 million with exceptions, that means that the average rotation player is going to make around 8-9 million, but given that there going to be 2-3 guys earning 14-20 million on a contending team, that means that of that 70 million, there is only 25 remaining and you got to fill out the other 5-7 guys in your rotation with that? Then yes, he is over paid.

the problem with the NBA today is that guys like Brandon Jennings make 8 or 9 million, so when a guy who doesn't such as bad as him only makes a little bit more, it look like a good deal. It's not.

9 million for a guy who can't rebound, can't pass and can't defend, AND is only an average scorer is NOT worth 10 million a season. It is a match-up they are going to lose on most nights.

Luol Deng only makes about a million more and he is infinitely more productive than Green.

It's not a good contract. My biggest issue with Green is how utterly average he is. Name one thing that he does significantly better than most players in the NBA?

I think your missing the point. SF is the least talented position in the NBA. Green could start for a number of contending teams instantly. Regardless of how much he's paid its not a bad contract #1 because it a 2yr deal max (including this year) and #2 His production both advanced and regular says he's underpaid.

Here's a few teams he's a NO BRAINER to start on if traded:

Memphis - Green > Prince
CHI - Green > Dunleavy
Clippers - Green > Barnes

The notion that he's immediately a bench player on a contender is debatable on not assumed. Yes he could be a valuable 6th man to other teams with a stronger SF but for his production and talent he's worth a late 1st or decent young spec IMO.

smith&wesson
12-24-2014, 02:19 PM
Clippers

Howard_Zinn
12-24-2014, 02:48 PM
Green for Brandon Jennings.

Blitzbolt
12-24-2014, 07:03 PM
The Grizz really need a guy like JGreen Prince is solid but way to old specially with VC who is also old.

JasonJohnHorn
12-24-2014, 07:14 PM
I think your missing the point. SF is the least talented position in the NBA. Green could start for a number of contending teams instantly. Regardless of how much he's paid its not a bad contract #1 because it a 2yr deal max (including this year) and #2 His production both advanced and regular says he's underpaid.

Here's a few teams he's a NO BRAINER to start on if traded:

Memphis - Green > Prince
CHI - Green > Dunleavy
Clippers - Green > Barnes

The notion that he's immediately a bench player on a contender is debatable on not assumed. Yes he could be a valuable 6th man to other teams with a stronger SF but for his production and talent he's worth a late 1st or decent young spec IMO.

SF is the least talented position? I'd like to introduce you to LeBron James and Kevin Durant.

As for Prince... he is an elite defender. Barnes is a solid defender and great hustle player. Matt Barnes is also making a lot less, so he is a much better value for the money. He's also a better 3pt shooter and doesn't jack them up when he shouldn't.

As for Dunleavy.. he is also a much better value, making less than 4 mil. He's a better 3pt shooter, and gets less turnovers and more assists per36.

I'd take Dunleavy or Barnes at 3 mil over Green at 9 any day of the week. That is my point. Why would I pay an average player almost 10 mil when a guy that act least has a specialty, like 3pt shooting, or defence, can be had for 3 mil?

It's a waste of money. He is not a bad player. He is an average player. That's the problem.

I mean, GSW have two or three SFs that are better than him (depending on what position you put Barnes, Iggy and Draymond Green).

Tg11
12-25-2014, 01:26 PM
Celtics should lock up Jeff Green long term