PDA

View Full Version : Monta Ellis -- All Star?

FlashBolt
12-21-2014, 12:10 AM
West is stacked but damn. This dude has been big time for the Mavs. I'm the first to admit that I had my doubts about him when he was at the Bucks but wow. Totally did not expect this.

Longhornfan1234
12-21-2014, 12:14 AM
He would have been compared to Wade if he was surrounded by Wade's superior supporting cast his whole career.

tredigs
12-21-2014, 12:59 AM
Negative.

Starters:
PG: Curry
SG: Kobe (he'll win in votes)
SF: Durant
PF: AD
C: M Gasol

Harden
Westbrook
CP3
Lillard
Aldridge
Griffin

Last spot for Cousins, Kawhi, Klay Thompson, Howard, etc. All better choices.

FlashBolt
12-21-2014, 01:09 AM
Negative.

Starters:

Harden
Westbrook
CP3
Lillard
Aldridge
Griffin

Probably the most stacked Western conference I've ever come upon on.. Just insane that it could be this stacked. A lot of snubs coming this season. Meanwhile in East...

tredigs
12-21-2014, 01:24 AM
Probably the most stacked Western conference I've ever come upon on.. Just insane that it could be this stacked. A lot of snubs coming this season. Meanwhile in East...

yeah it's ridiculous. And that's leaving out the old tribe that are still ballin: Dirk/Duncan/TP. Rudy Gay's having a career year... Conley's a beast. List goes on.

Kaner
12-21-2014, 02:53 AM

He'd still probably not be an all-star...

Rose (votes)
Butler
Lebron
Carmelo
Bosh

Bench:
Lowry
Wade
Irving
Gasol
Wall
Millsap
Love

At best he's a borderline all-star in the east, and an obvious out in the west so for the thread no he won't be an all-star and if you put him in the east he probably isn't an all-star either.

Bostonjorge
12-21-2014, 03:09 AM
Negative.

Starters:

Harden
Westbrook
CP3
Lillard
Aldridge
Griffin

A lot of good talent. Imagine Howard not making it WOW. Klay will make it he's been great so that knockes out Ellis right there with harden and Kobe also at SG.

MTar786
12-21-2014, 04:47 AM
ellis wont get voted in but he will def be one of the greater snubs. i really liked montas game. extremely under rated

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-21-2014, 09:03 AM
He couldn't make it in the east, so easy no for the west.

SportsFanatic10
12-21-2014, 09:12 AM
He would have been compared to Wade if he was surrounded by Wade's superior supporting cast his whole career.

monta tried to say that himself a year or two ago....and then wade came out and dunked all over him on one leg in the playoffs. but no lol. he has been great this season, but he's never reached that level and won't so stop. dwyane is too efficient to be disrespected like that. wade has had some pretty weak supporting casts at times despite what you think. wade earned having lebron and bosh after wasting a majority of his prime with nothing and then checking his ego and part of his game to let lebron lead which most stars of his caliber would have a hard time doing. wade's quietly having a better season then ellis right now in fact at 4 years older after a whole career playing without his meniscus in one knee.

KINGOFSPORTS
12-21-2014, 09:36 AM
Rondo is in the west now too

the east is so pathetic

Goose17
12-21-2014, 09:52 AM
I understand the Wade comparisons to an extent, he's a very fast ball dominant 2 guard. But they have never been close to the same level. I would take Wade with a bum knee over a prime Monta... don't even mention prime Wade, one of the best guards of the modern era.

That said, from the small amount of Dallas games I've watched, Monta has cut back on forced three's and is playing well offensively. I still say he's a liability defensively, shoots the gap way too often, gambles on plays all the time.

If the West wasn't so stacked he might have made the all star team but honestly it's not happening. You have to remember the all star game votes in two guards and three front court players right? So it's not even a case of shooting guard depth it's also point guard depth. He has to compete with all of the guards at both the 1 and 2 and the West is just too deep, it isn't happening.

Thumper 88
12-21-2014, 11:37 AM
I see a lot of people taking about Monta like it's 2+ years ago...

Thumper 88
12-21-2014, 11:39 AM
If it's any other year he should make it the west is so stacked up right now.

He's been the biggest star on the Mavs all year by putting them on his back game after game

gatkins11
12-21-2014, 02:22 PM
I see a lot of people taking about Monta like it's 2+ years ago...

You know how it is.

Thumper 88
12-21-2014, 02:35 PM
You know how it is.

I guess I can kind of understand because they probably don't watch him and just going off of his old image

tredigs
12-21-2014, 02:53 PM
I guess I can kind of understand because they probably don't watch him and just going off of his old image
That, or you seldom watched him before and want to believe that this is a whole new Monta.

I have watched him a lot in Dallas and about 5x as much as you overall. He's the same guy in a better system. Simple as that. #'s wise, there's no improvement in his game, and he's still one of the weakest defensive 2 guards out there.

Played great yesterday tho :clap:

Just don't expect him to hit 5-6 from deep too often.

If you guys think he's in Wade's stratosphere when he was near his prime, holy ****. The delusion is real.

Mr.B
12-21-2014, 03:19 PM
Monte should make the All Star team but he won't. There are just too many worthy guards in the West. His past reputation doesn't help either. It's clear by even reading the posts here that most people think he's still the guy that played with the Bucks. Not many people have watched a lot of his games since he's been in Dallas. My hope is that the people that matter (other players and coaches) see how Monte has changed since being in Dallas. His biggest change has been his attitude as a teammate and his love for the game. Finally being on a winning team has really made him a better player.

With that said though even I don't expect him to make the team. The competition is just too fierce in the West.

tredigs
12-21-2014, 03:43 PM
Monte should make the All Star team but he won't. There are just too many worthy guards in the West. His past reputation doesn't help either. It's clear by even reading the posts here that most people think he's still the guy that played with the Bucks. Not many people have watched a lot of his games since he's been in Dallas. My hope is that the people that matter (other players and coaches) see how Monte has changed since being in Dallas. His biggest change has been his attitude as a teammate and his love for the game. Finally being on a winning team has really made him a better player.

With that said though even I don't expect him to make the team. The competition is just too fierce in the West.

I was about to legitimately ask you why you think he is a changed player, because it's such a prevalent theme with Mavs fans on here. But then I read the bolded. Not buying it... Monta always had a GREAT attitude in Golden State and there was nobody you could rely on more to give it his all. It's just that he was a gunner and oft times ball stopper who was a really weak defender. I do think this offense in Dallas helps mitigate his ball stopping ways and that certainly helps his perception, but I think there's a reason why his #'s are essentially the same as they have always been. It's not as if he's picked up a 3pt shot or had some transcendent passing ability bestowed on him. You guys don't realize it, but this is the same guy (albeit a little slower) half our fans bemoaned for years, just playing on a better offensive team. Despite his all-out attitude, I was never more happy to get rid of a player. Glad he's working out for you guys and you're happy with him though! He's a worker.

Jsoul101
12-21-2014, 03:50 PM
No..... James Johnson All Star

RLundi
12-21-2014, 03:58 PM
Monta Ellis has been getting disrespected for YEARS but the truth is, he's a fringe top 5 shooting guard somewhere alongside Harden, Thompson, Butler, Wade and Derozan. He deserves an all-star spot, he's the best player on a legitimate contender. He gets labeled as an inefficient chucker because he had a few bad years in Milwaukee but he doesn't deserve an ounce of the criticism he gets.

Mr.B
12-21-2014, 04:16 PM
I was about to legitimately ask you why you think he is a changed player, because it's such a prevalent theme with Mavs fans on here. But then I read the bolded. Not buying it... Monta always had a GREAT attitude in Golden State and there was nobody you could rely on more to give it his all. It's just that he was a gunner and oft times ball stopper who was a really weak defender. I do think this offense in Dallas helps mitigate his ball stopping ways and that certainly helps his perception, but I think there's a reason why his #'s are essentially the same as they have always been. It's not as if he's picked up a 3pt shot or had some transcendent passing ability bestowed on him. You guys don't realize it, but this is the same guy (albeit a little slower) half our fans bemoaned for years, just playing on a better offensive team. Despite his all-out attitude, I was never more happy to get rid of a player. Glad he's working out for you guys and you're happy with him though! He's a worker.

Age has also helped him. His decision making is much better now than it was when he played in Golden State. Is he a little slower? Maybe but not by much. I mean the guy is 28 not 48. He has a lot left in his legs and physically and mentally he's in his prime. He plays more under control than he did with the Warriors.

Also you don't have to buy it but his attitude has been much different in Dallas. He's now playing for a good team that needs him. They need him to put up the numbers he's always put up. So are his numbers the same? Yes, because that's exactly what the Mavs need him to do. If you truly do watch as many Mavs games as you claim you would know that he has been better this year at shooting 3's. Now I'm not saying he's shooting them like Curry but he has been better. Not only has he been been hitting them pretty well but it's when he's hitting them. He's hitting them in extremely clutch situations and doing it against good defensive teams. And when he's not hitting them he doesn't keep chucking them up. He starts attacking the rim and getting to the bucket. If he got the respect from the ref's that he should his PPG would be about 5-10 points higher than it is now.

tredigs
12-21-2014, 04:46 PM
Age has also helped him. His decision making is much better now than it was when he played in Golden State. Is he a little slower? Maybe but not by much. I mean the guy is 28 not 48. He has a lot left in his legs and physically and mentally he's in his prime. He plays more under control than he did with the Warriors.

Also you don't have to buy it but his attitude has been much different in Dallas. He's now playing for a good team that needs him. They need him to put up the numbers he's always put up. So are his numbers the same? Yes, because that's exactly what the Mavs need him to do. If you truly do watch as many Mavs games as you claim you would know that he has been better this year at shooting 3's. Now I'm not saying he's shooting them like Curry but he has been better. Not only has he been been hitting them pretty well but it's when he's hitting them. He's hitting them in extremely clutch situations and doing it against good defensive teams. And when he's not hitting them he doesn't keep chucking them up. He starts attacking the rim and getting to the bucket. If he got the respect from the ref's that he should his PPG would be about 5-10 points higher than it is now.
I've watched 10 or so Mavs games this year (loved watching their offense) and I watched them a ton when Monta first came over because I thought he'd excel in their lineup, but I mean, I could watch 0 games and call BS on statements concerning the 3pt shooting. In his last 2 seasons in GS he shot ~4 attempts a game on 35% from three. Now he averages 3 attempts a game on 33% from 3 (in GS he lead the league in mpg at >40 a night). There's no improvement there.

Where Monta's deficiencies come about is on the defensive end (he's still terrible, that will never change), and in his his ball stopping ways offensively. To the second point, I think Carlisle and the Mavs system do a fantastic job in curbing his enthusiasm for the dribble-stop-pass-passitback-dribble-shoot offense you can come to expect from him if he's left to his own devices. I thought Dallas would be a great fit for him and am not all that surprised you guys are happy with his performance. The positives that he has are being highlighted there, though I definitely think the offense takes a step back after the current trade.

Miltstar
12-21-2014, 06:41 PM
No..... James Johnson All Star

Shooting 65% from the field this season... he won't get much respect around the league and he doesn't deserve to be an all-star but man am I glad we brought him back!

Howard_Zinn
12-21-2014, 07:14 PM
Yes he is

KINGOFSPORTS
12-21-2014, 09:59 PM
Steph Curry is MVP

nastynice
12-22-2014, 01:52 AM
Age has also helped him. His decision making is much better now than it was when he played in Golden State.

I prob haven't seen enough of monta to make real accurate opinion, but from the little I have seen, this seems to be it. He seems to be picking his spots much better, much smarter. He's still got that ridiculous first step and a beast when finishing at the rim, but now seems to be letting the game come to him rather than forcing the issue, he just seems so much more better. He's having a great season.

BlondeBomber41
12-22-2014, 03:36 AM
Monta Ellis has unquestionably carried the Mavericks in good amount of games this year. I had my doubts when he was signed but there is no question in my mind he's a winner. Almost every single time he needs to step up and carry them, he has.

He should make it over Klay Thompson, Tony Parker, Kobe Bryant...

Unfortunately there is a group of guards in the West that make it nearly impossible to break through. Chris Paul, James Harden, Russell Westbrook, Steph Curry, Kobe because of fan voting, Damian Lillard...

Hopefully the coaches recognize his importance to the team and he gets what he deserves.

Chronz
12-22-2014, 04:17 AM
I still dont think Monta has been the same since the moped and even then he wasn't an All-Star

Sean Moore
12-22-2014, 04:20 AM
It will be very hard for him to make it over all the good competition out west.