PDA

View Full Version : What if Chris Paul was actually traded to the Lakers? (Bill Simmons video)

Bruno
12-19-2014, 10:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blhkMWa55dM&feature=youtu.be

I thought this was very well done.

Bruno
12-19-2014, 10:11 PM
the more time passes, the more the Chris Paul veto looks like the defining moment of this era. (the 2010s).

Bostonjorge
12-19-2014, 10:34 PM
Then Kobe has 2-3 more rings. Kobe needs a gasol type running mate and Paul is a better player then gasol ever was.

eibbor
12-19-2014, 10:48 PM

If you care what Bill Simmons thinks or says, your point is invalid. He is paid to be a moron just like Skip. To put any stock into his opinion shows a lack of intelligence. Everybody has espn... Most of those people are older than most of the PSD teenys that ramble about nothing other than what they see there and actually watch games.

Get a grip, watch the games and grow up.

You are welcome.

jerellh528
12-19-2014, 11:34 PM
that veto was garbage, raped the lakers of a future and probably a few titles

KingstonHawke
12-20-2014, 12:01 AM
that veto was garbage, raped the lakers of a future and probably a few titles

I lost a lot of respect for a lot of people when that trade happened. For Lakers fans, it was like being raped in the middle of the street, looking up, and everyone is just shrugging their shoulders like it's not even a big deal. Imagine if this trade goes through and Kobe gets the rings instead of Lebron. That is HUGE. Those are two top 10 players all time who would be viewed completely differently.

goingfor28
12-20-2014, 12:15 AM
Simmons is annoying af

PowerHouse
12-20-2014, 12:16 AM
He was actually traded. Then came punk-*** David Squirm.

curtcocaine
12-20-2014, 12:31 AM
Kobe so dope the nba be plottin

Raps18-19 Champ
12-20-2014, 12:34 AM
Why the hell would you make a decision without consulting with your owners?

So stupid.

Tony_Starks
12-20-2014, 12:48 AM
Kobe gets like 7 rings. The haters now change the song to play "he couldn't win without Paul!"... and pretty much everything else stays the same.....

The End

curtcocaine
12-20-2014, 01:09 AM
Mr I dont chase rings, rings all chase me.

Matter.
12-20-2014, 01:11 AM
So many what ifs

THE MTL
12-20-2014, 01:20 AM
What if Steve Nash and Dwight Howard were fully healthy during their Lakers stint.

nastynice
12-20-2014, 01:33 AM
I never really understood that veto thing. I know paul got traded, clearly whoever was running the hornets had to make that call right? Who else would have the authority to make a trade on behalf of an nba team?

But then the commissioner vetos the trade? wtf? that made no sense to me. So whenever a team wants to make a trade, they have to ask permission from the commissioner first? I never heard of the before or since that trade, somehow the only time I've ever heard of this was with that specific trade. Something sounds mad weird.

Chronz
12-20-2014, 01:50 AM
Chris Paul would finally get recognized for his greatness by some jaded laker fans. if they win.

They don't tho, kobe and CP3 meshing is still in question and the defense is a ? their GM has no clue how too build a team outside the no brainers.

Wish i had stern as my teams owner / manager. Dude saved Nola

Bruno
12-20-2014, 02:25 AM
If you care what Bill Simmons thinks or says, your point is invalid. He is paid to be a moron just like Skip. To put any stock into his opinion shows a lack of intelligence. Everybody has espn... Most of those people are older than most of the PSD teenys that ramble about nothing other than what they see there and actually watch games.

You are welcome.

:laugh2:

pathetic post for countless reasons.

Shlumpledink
12-20-2014, 03:07 AM
This would have hurt the NBA's credibility if it wasn't already ruined. If not for Anthony Davis being amazing then the hornets would be mediocre because they didn't get anything for Paul. Its ridiculous that the trade was vetoed for "basketball reasons" when it clearly wasn't.

PowerHouse
12-20-2014, 04:02 AM
I never really understood that veto thing. I know paul got traded, clearly whoever was running the hornets had to make that call right? Who else would have the authority to make a trade on behalf of an nba team?

But then the commissioner vetos the trade? wtf? that made no sense to me. So whenever a team wants to make a trade, they have to ask permission from the commissioner first? I never heard of the before or since that trade, somehow the only time I've ever heard of this was with that specific trade. Something sounds mad weird.

Im not sure who was their GM then but the Hornets franchise didnt have any true owner at that time. The ownership was temporarily divided between all the other owners. When that trade happened, some of those owners took exception to the trade most notably that dick Mark Cuban and they were able to convince Stern to veto it. (Probably didnt take much convincing, I think Stern also didnt like it)

JasonJohnHorn
12-20-2014, 10:35 AM
Dragic and Martin would have been a solid back court, and Scola and the draft pick would have been good additions. I think that was actually a better package. Odom likely would have still started his dove tail immediately.

Having to give up Gasol was huge for the Lakers though.

And Dwight being third fiddle to CP3 and Kobe? I'm not sure he would have liked that. I think there is still a likelihood that he leaves. CP3 and Kobe are both known for being like Jordan on the floor in that they call out teammates who aren't performing and mentor them with tough love. Dwight does not respond well to that.

And Dwight wanted to work the post and take jumpers... that's why he got SVG fired, and that is why he wouldn't run the pick-and-roll with Nash under 'Antoni, even though that is the best way for him to score.

On paper a Kobe/Dwight/CP3 core sounds good, but Kobe and Dwight would have both been injured for most of this time, meaning fewer wins and no rings, and no depth since Odam, Gasol and Bynum all get moved, as well as first-round picks. It also means only MLE and Vet-Min players could be added because Kobe's salary takes up half the cap, and CP3 and Diwght take up more than halg, putting them over the cap.

People say this was a game changer, but I'm not sure that LAL would have been a contender with this trade.

Also... the 'what if NO won 40 games' seems a bit out there. Dragic didn't develop at that point, Odom dove tailed that year, Scola is not a quality starter, and Martin shoot a much lower percentage when he is the first option and not playing off the ball. Besides, the general consensus is that the first pick was part of the deal to buy the team, so if conspiracy theories are true, then NO was getting that pick regardless.

As for Houston trading for Harden, they would have had picks and Gasol.... I'm sure they would have been able to land Harden for that, and it would have been an even better deal for OKC. Meaning Houston is still on the same course.

hidalgo
12-20-2014, 10:35 AM
CP3 & Kobly wouldn't have meshed well. you saw how Nash wasn't allowed to be himself once he went to the lakers (apg went way down like i predicted here), Kobe wouldn't let him handle the ball much, so he just became a spot up shooter, a pawn. same would have happened to CP3, his apg would have went down to like 7 apg, & he'd just have been a spot up shooter, watching Kobly pull his wannbe Jordan moves & fadeawy bricks. Gasol was a rare perfect fit for Kobly, & he was huge for them & will be in the HOF

Vinylman
12-20-2014, 11:23 AM
This is all a myth propagated by my fellow Laker fans...

This trade was never submitted to the league... their was an outline of the trade put together but there was a hold up in terms of the Lakers taking more money back (Jason Smith wanted an extension with more guaranteed years).

While all that was going on Stern as the ACTING OWNER of NO told his GM no dice on this deal and that he had to do better....

Here is a link

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/24/report-wait-jason-smith-actually-killed-the-chris-paul-lakers-trade-pack-it-in-civilization-ends-here/

The Lakers have only Jimbaco and Mitch to blame for not upping their offer to NO... the Lakers still could have received CP3 if they had just included other pieces....

The real question is not whether the Lakers would have won but how different the rockets would look right now if they had taken on Gasol... would they still have gotten D12?

HoopsDrive
12-20-2014, 12:38 PM
Chris Paul would finally get recognized for his greatness by some jaded laker fans. if they win.

They don't tho, kobe and CP3 meshing is still in question and the defense is a ? their GM has no clue how too build a team outside the no brainers.

Wish i had stern as my teams owner / manager. Dude saved Nola

I agree with you there, there are so many horrendous trades out there it's a wonder there aren't more vetos.

tredigs
12-20-2014, 12:55 PM
I agree with you there, there are so many horrendous trades out there it's a wonder there aren't more vetos.

Because if an owner wants to sink his team (or let his GM do it) that's their prerogative. Nola didn't have an owner.

odiz
12-20-2014, 12:58 PM
Martin, Scola, Odom and Dragic plus a first is a much better return then they got. But if the deal goes through they probably arent bad enough to end up with the #1 pick to take Davis.

HoopsDrive
12-20-2014, 01:20 PM
Because if an owner wants to sink his team (or let his GM do it) that's their prerogative. Nola didn't have an owner.

True, can't really do much with bad owners/GMs out there.

Chronz
12-20-2014, 03:10 PM
Dragic and Martin would have been a solid back court, and Scola and the draft pick would have been good additions. I think that was actually a better package. Odom likely would have still started his dove tail immediately.
Solid backcourt is exactly what they dont want. Being a perpetual 10th seed instead of bottoming out isn't a good thing for that management, especially considering they landed the best prospect we've seen this decade. Not to mention those declining players were expiring soon. That package would have just delayed the inevitable.

And Dwight being third fiddle to CP3 and Kobe? I'm not sure he would have liked that.
He would have loved it. CP3 and he would have made magic together. They've been trying to team up for awhile now.

Also... the 'what if NO won 40 games' seems a bit out there. Dragic didn't develop at that point, Odom dove tailed that year, Scola is not a quality starter, and Martin shoot a much lower percentage when he is the first option and not playing off the ball.
You said it yourself, they would have been a solid backcourt with bums elsewhere, they would have a lower chance at the lottery simply by not bottoming out. And agin, FG% is irrelevant when compared to overall efficiency, K-Mart was still efficient offensively. Dragic was still producing at a near All-Star caliber level. Hes actually producing at a worse rate so far this season than he was in Houston, despite your assertions.

Besides, the general consensus is that the first pick was part of the deal to buy the team, so if conspiracy theories are true, then NO was getting that pick regardless.
Its only the consensus among those who have no idea how protected the lottery is.
When the crux of your argument is a conspiracy backed by absolutely no understanding of the draft process, then you have nothing to stand on.

As for Houston trading for Harden, they would have had picks and Gasol.... I'm sure they would have been able to land Harden for that, and it would have been an even better deal for OKC. Meaning Houston is still on the same course.
Maybe.

Chronz
12-20-2014, 03:14 PM
Martin, Scola, Odom and Dragic plus a first is a much better return then they got. But if the deal goes through they probably arent bad enough to end up with the #1 pick to take Davis.

Thats the point, why would you want to be a decent team with no chance at the playoffs? A few of those players declined so quickly that they wouldn't even have been tradeable assets. Odom fell off a cliff and Scola was basically let go by his next two teams. K-Mart and Dragic vs the best phenom we've seen in a long time.... hmmm.....

likemystylez
12-20-2014, 04:49 PM
Thats the point, why would you want to be a decent team with no chance at the playoffs? A few of those players declined so quickly that they wouldn't even have been tradeable assets. Odom fell off a cliff and Scola was basically let go by his next two teams. K-Mart and Dragic vs the best phenom we've seen in a long time.... hmmm.....

ehh with new orleans, the trade not happening helped their chances but it didnt create anthony davis- no matter what you have to beat some serious odds to get the number 1 pick. ... im not sure its right to include anthony davis as a bennefit from the trade.

Chronz
12-20-2014, 05:19 PM
ehh with new orleans, the trade not happening helped their chances but it didnt create anthony davis- no matter what you have to beat some serious odds to get the number 1 pick. ... im not sure its right to include anthony davis as a bennefit from the trade.
Sure it is. They maximized their odds at landing that player by not settling for mediocrity, its a direct result of choosing 1 path over another. I agree they beat the odds, but thats entirely the point of taking this path, to get better odds. If we just ignore that then how do you make sense of the trade? The entire point of that rebuilding philosophy is that its a better route than the alternative. Which it obviously turned out to be.

JasonJohnHorn
12-20-2014, 06:08 PM
Solid backcourt is exactly what they dont want. Being a perpetual 10th seed instead of bottoming out isn't a good thing for that management, especially considering they landed the best prospect we've seen this decade. Not to mention those declining players were expiring soon. That package would have just delayed the inevitable.

He would have loved it. CP3 and he would have made magic together. They've been trying to team up for awhile now.

You said it yourself, they would have been a solid backcourt with bums elsewhere, they would have a lower chance at the lottery simply by not bottoming out. And agin, FG% is irrelevant when compared to overall efficiency, K-Mart was still efficient offensively. Dragic was still producing at a near All-Star caliber level. Hes actually producing at a worse rate so far this season than he was in Houston, despite your assertions.

Its only the consensus among those who have no idea how protected the lottery is.
When the crux of your argument is a conspiracy backed by absolutely no understanding of the draft process, then you have nothing to stand on.

Maybe.

Great post!

Dragic's per36 numbers were decent, but in 2011 he wasn't what he was last year. Martin's percentage drops when he is a first option tough (look at his 09-12 seasons and then the jump in percentage when OKC got him and he was picking up open shots while guys were double teaming or following KD and Westy. The numbers look the same as when he had the benefit of playing with C-Webb, Peja and Bibby, and then later Peja, MWP and Bibby and Brad Miller. Some seasons were better than others, but NO at the time had nobody to help spread the defenders.

Also, with Dragic, they wouldn't have had to trade their draft pick for Holiday and with Martin they wouldn't have had to sign Evans or extend a deal with the disgruntled Gordon and they could have used that money more wisely. Dragic and Martin, I think, would have been good enough when they added AD and Anderson along with a draft pick, but bad enough on their own without anybody grabbing rebounds that in the west they would have been pretty awful... and I still can't seem to shack the feeling that that First overall selection was part of the deal when the team was purchased. That still seems fishy to me, though I realize it may be unreasonable of me to indulge in that.

You make some great points though. I think we can agree that that BS's 'what ifs' are a bit fantastical and essentially BS.

jericho
12-20-2014, 06:13 PM

You are welcome.

Dude at least watch the video before commenting. He brought valuable points in a what if scenario.

Bostonjorge
12-20-2014, 06:56 PM
Crazy how Kobe could of been chasing down bill Russell for rings if he Paul as a running mate.

RLundi
12-20-2014, 07:16 PM
Cool video. But ultimately irrelevant and pointless. I hate what-ifs. Alternate universes and theories, parallelism and quantum mechanics- like, who cares? Deal with the present, the here and now, actuality. Otherwise we can play this what-if game with literally EVERYTHING, not just sports. I'm always up for talking about sports possibilities but this is exhausting.

He's not a Laker. End of story.

MTar786
12-21-2014, 07:39 AM
i dont think the lakers would have won anything if we got paul anyway. i think lakers with the big 3 in the frontline is better than paul lakers

KINGOFSPORTS
12-21-2014, 09:23 AM
the NBA is a joke.

between the refs fixing games, tanking teams, vetoed trades, and incessant flopping/whining by players....

I just can't watch it anymore. I miss the Kobe/Shaq/Phil Jackson era as that was the last time I had any real interest in watching games.

It's a shame what has become of, what used to be, my favorite sport to watch

LakersIn5
12-21-2014, 10:49 AM
Seriously how the ***** is the clippers offer better than the lakers? Yes in hindsight it looked good cuz they won the lottery and got davis. But what if they didnt??? They won 21 games that season. Eric gordon played what? 9 games? Had he played even an additiobal 20 games that would atleast give the hornrts 2 more mins. Which puts them to 23 wins which would put them tied fpr 8th place to win the lottery so no anthony davis. They just got lucky eric gordon got injured.

How the ***** seriously is eric gordon, aminu and kaman better than dragic, odom, scola, kmart2???? That team wont make the playoffs in he west and is also just 1 injury away from sucking to a top 3 pick.

FOBolous
12-23-2014, 02:55 AM
Kobe gets like 7 rings. The haters now change the song to play "he couldn't win without Paul!"... and pretty much everything else stays the same.....

The End

are you denying that Kobe has the luxury of playing on some very talented teams with some very talented players while denying credit to the talented players that helped him win his rings?

Ariza's Better
12-23-2014, 04:34 AM
As a Houston fan, I'm so glad this trade didn't go through, a core of Gasol, Nene and maybe Lowry would of had this team stuck at 9th for a long time.

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-23-2014, 04:42 AM

Kobe has 6 rings and Paul gets his first, oh well.

Ps, fuxk stern

ILLUSIONIST^248
12-23-2014, 04:46 AM
the NBA is a joke.

between the refs fixing games, tanking teams, vetoed trades, and incessant flopping/whining by players....

I just can't watch it anymore. I miss the Kobe/Shaq/Phil Jackson era as that was the last time I had any real interest in watching games.

It's a shame what has become of, what used to be, my favorite sport to watch

Fantastic post, now you know why I hate players like Lebron

Sean Moore
12-23-2014, 05:07 AM
The Lakers moronic owner and management would have most likely still hired D'Antoni so I don't really see a sixth ring in Kobe's future or a first ring in Paul's future.

TheIlladelph16
12-23-2014, 04:23 PM
I lost a lot of respect for a lot of people when that trade happened. For Lakers fans, it was like being raped in the middle of the street, looking up, and everyone is just shrugging their shoulders like it's not even a big deal. Imagine if this trade goes through and Kobe gets the rings instead of Lebron. That is HUGE. Those are two top 10 players all time who would be viewed completely differently.

A basketball trade not being accepted is the equivalent of being sexually assaulted.... Hyberbole or ignorance? Probably both judging by this comment.