PDA

View Full Version : So has the Eastern Conference gotten better or worse than last season.

Vampirate
12-19-2014, 12:58 AM
Well we're almost a third of the way through the season. In the off season I was hearing how the East was getting better yet......it looks as bad as ever eight now.

What are your thoughts is the Eastern Conference better or worse than last season?

goingfor28
12-19-2014, 01:07 AM
The east sucks with the exception of a few teams

dalton749
12-19-2014, 01:36 AM
knicks, pistons, hornets way under achieving
paul george injured

its better at the top tho

MrfadeawayJB
12-19-2014, 01:39 AM
Worse

smith&wesson
12-19-2014, 01:41 AM
worse

raps
bullets
bulls
cavs

every one else is whatever ..

BlondeBomber41
12-19-2014, 01:42 AM
There isn't currently an Eastern Conference team that could beat a Western Conference team in the Finals. The only 2 teams out East I see even remotely close are Chicago and Cleveland if they play a lot better. The East is terrible though. Toronto would be fighting for a playoff spot in the West and they have the best record in the East.

Bruno
12-19-2014, 01:45 AM
I think the quality of basketball in the east is lowering the quality of the NBA product. for as long as I can remember the east hasn't been as good. the fact that it's a decade+ long trend...

the two conference system is a disservice to the entire goal of the last CBA. competitive balance.

bucketss
12-19-2014, 02:23 AM
worse

raps
bullets
bulls
cavs

hawks to.

ackar
12-19-2014, 02:33 AM
last i check which was a few days ago the West had 8 teams under .500 and the East 9. the relative difference was min. when looking the top teams in east and west records wise. So the east is better than recent years it is still early.

ChI_ShIzzLe
12-19-2014, 02:43 AM
It's the damn Sixers, Knicks and Pistons that are making the East look even ********.

Tony_Starks
12-19-2014, 02:44 AM
Worse.

Blink
12-19-2014, 02:56 AM
Dumars ruined the Pistons future.

BlondeBomber41
12-19-2014, 06:13 AM
The only reason the Western Conference teams records aren't significantly even better is because Western conference teams play each other more.

As a Mavs fan I'd LOVE to play Philly, Detroit, Boston, Orlando, and the rest of the mediocre East four times a year. The best teams in the East would be fighting for playoff spots in the West.

Try having to face Golden State, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Portland, Oklahoma City, Memphis, LA Clippers... hell even Phoenix and New Orleans four times a year.

ClutchTime
12-19-2014, 08:54 AM
Worse... I agree that no Eastern Conference team can beat a Western Conference team in the finals. It'll probably be even more tough to watch which Eastern Conference teams fight it out during the playoffs to even get to the finals.

pebloemer
12-19-2014, 09:15 AM
As a Mavs fan I'd LOVE to play Philly, Detroit, Boston, Orlando, and the rest of the mediocre East four times a year. The best teams in the East would be fighting for playoff spots in the West.

You would hate it. The games offer very little entertainment value when compared with playing against quality competition. And they don't give you a very good indicator at all of how your team is progressing. I want my Raptors playing strong competition as much as possible. It is better for me and for them IMO.

Cleveland has replaced Miami as the favorite in the East (even if they aren't there yet).
Chicago has gotten better IMO and replaces Indiana as the other legitimate threat out East.

Atlanta, Toronto and Washington are improving. It's too early to really tell what they are. The big Western trips usually start in the New Year, don't they?

2-ONE-5
12-19-2014, 09:41 AM
You would hate it. The games offer very little entertainment value when compared with playing against quality competition. And they don't give you a very good indicator at all of how your team is progressing. I want my Raptors playing strong competition as much as possible. It is better for me and for them IMO.

Cleveland has replaced Miami as the favorite in the East (even if they aren't there yet).
Chicago has gotten better IMO and replaces Indiana as the other legitimate threat out East.

Atlanta, Toronto and Washington are improving. It's too early to really tell what they are. The big Western trips usually start in the New Year, don't they?

thats not true. Bad teams play good and exciting games and good/great teams play bad and uninspiring games throughout the course of the season

richardj
12-19-2014, 10:51 AM
The only reason the Western Conference teams records aren't significantly even better is because Western conference teams play each other more.

Try having to face Golden State, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Portland, Oklahoma City, Memphis, LA Clippers... hell even Phoenix and New Orleans four times a year.

I dont like putting too much stock on W-L records in the regular season because it doesnt factor in injuries, back to backs, timing of playing teams etc. If your an elite team then it shouldn't matter who your competiton is. Last year the spurs proved that winning 60+ games and an NBA title while playing in the west and not having a very good "regular season" record against the strong western conference teams.

While there is some truth to what your saying..lets not act like the west isn't feasting on the mediocre teams in the east. Portland is something like 13-1 against the east. Mavs are like 8-0 on the road against the east. Golden State, Memphis, Clippers also have insane W-L records against the bad teams in the east.

Still early though Indiana, Chicago Miami have been dealing with bad injuries. And i do feel some of the other teams have been underachieving abit, ie charlotte, detroit, new york.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-19-2014, 10:54 AM
worse

raps
bullets
bulls
cavs

How could you leave the Hawks?

Hawkeye15
12-19-2014, 11:35 AM
every offseason I hear east fans say it is going to be better. Every year it sucks. Has forever. Seriously, when was the last time the east was actually good? 20 years ago? 25? I don't mean top heavy, I mean good teams barely making the playoffs, or even missing them.

koreancabbage
12-19-2014, 11:58 AM
There isn't currently an Eastern Conference team that could beat a Western Conference team in the Finals. The only 2 teams out East I see even remotely close are Chicago and Cleveland if they play a lot better. The East is terrible though. Toronto would be fighting for a playoff spot in the West and they have the best record in the East.

LOL you got to be kidding me. Of all the teams in the East right now, only Toronto has the best record against the west in the last two years of any of the top 5 teams in the East.

Chicago and Cleveland wouldn't even sniff the playoffs.

I'm just saying btw. - not saying that Toronto WOULD make the playoffs but lets not just start saying ****

Burkey3472
12-19-2014, 12:17 PM
The East needs a few things to happen.......

A) Have an elite player like Durant/Westbrook/AD cross over into the East.
B) Get the next few superstars via draft and they hopefully land in the right spot (maybe Indiana to pair with George).
C) Pray that Lebron doesn't decline significantly anytime soon.

koreancabbage
12-19-2014, 12:19 PM
The East needs a few things to happen.......

A) Have an elite player like Durant/Westbrook/AD cross over into the East.
B) Get the next few superstars via draft and they hopefully land in the right spot (maybe Indiana to pair with George).
C) Pray that Lebron doesn't decline significantly anytime soon.

move Pelicans to the East could help. Give Seattle their team back

mRc08
12-19-2014, 12:23 PM
The east overall is worse probably, but there are teams in the east that can compete with western conference teams. Bulls and cavs have had slow starts. I don't think its unreasonable to think the bulls and cavs could be any team in the west in a seven game series. I guess what I'm saying is the finals will be competitive. I don't want to discount the raptors, hawks, and wizards either, I just haven't seen those teams play this well in the playoffs so its hard to say if they will step up come playoff time.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-19-2014, 12:27 PM
Bucks are the surprise team of the east. Kidd has the guys playing good all four quarters each game and keeping everyone happy so far. Bucks already mopping up west coast teams as in Grizzlies, Clippers, Suns, Kings. Lost a buzzer beater to Mavs. But yeah the east has bad luck. Pacers lost PG13. Charlotte isn't the team of previous season. Orlando is bad on the road. Detroit isn't working out with Smith. Hawks are still good. Raptors cooled off a bit. Knicks falling off.

Cavs are up and down. Miami will be regressing since Wade has so much mileage. Celtics traded Rondo finally and going for a rebuild. But I think west coast teams will start falling off within 5 years once Dirk, Duncan, Kobe retire. Lakers already falling off with Kobe. Howard isn't the superman from Orlando any more. Mavs wont be the same without Dirk carrying the team. But that's all just my opinion.

2-ONE-5
12-19-2014, 12:28 PM
LOL you got to be kidding me. Of all the teams in the East right now, only Toronto has the best record against the west in the last two years of any of the top 5 teams in the East.

Chicago and Cleveland wouldn't even sniff the playoffs.

I'm just saying btw. - not saying that Toronto WOULD make the playoffs but lets not just start saying ****

wait you think the Bulls and Cavs wouldnt even come close to the playoffs in the West? get outta here

M.I.A.
12-19-2014, 12:30 PM
If we could make a meal out of all of these IFS, COULDS, SHOULDS, WOULDS and BUTS oh, what a Merry Christmas we'd have.

You guys kill me. Stop the crying already, you sound like a bunch of school children.

koreancabbage
12-19-2014, 12:37 PM
Bucks are the surprise team of the east. Kidd has the guys playing good all four quarters each game and keeping everyone happy so far. Bucks already mopping up west coast teams as in Grizzlies, Clippers, Suns, Kings. Lost a buzzer beater to Mavs. But yeah the east has bad luck. Pacers lost PG13. Charlotte isn't the team of previous season. Orlando is bad on the road. Detroit isn't working out with Smith. Hawks are still good. Raptors cooled off a bit. Knicks falling off.

Cavs are up and down. Miami will be regressing since Wade has so much mileage. Celtics traded Rondo finally and going for a rebuild. But I think west coast teams will start falling off within 5 years once Dirk, Duncan, Kobe retire. Lakers already falling off with Kobe. Howard isn't the superman from Orlando any more. Mavs wont be the same without Dirk carrying the team. But that's all just my opinion.

lol at mopping. come on man they barely won each game. still good wins but come on. they caught most of these teams:

Suns - back to back (had OKC the night before), win on the road, nice though
OKC - without Durant or Westbrook
Grizzlies - back to back (had OKC the night before)
Clippers - back to back (had WSH the night before)
Kings - good win for on Cousins' return, win on the road, nice though

still good wins but mopping would hardly be the term to use.

koreancabbage
12-19-2014, 12:41 PM
wait you think the Bulls and Cavs wouldnt even come close to the playoffs in the West? get outta here

i'm just saying. look at their west coast records and extrapolate. They just really beat up teams in the East for the most part. I don't think Cleveland would be in the playoff picture right now in West with the way they are playing - they would probably be even worse if they were actually in the West.

Sure they might be built for the playoffs but they have to get there first.

Sure things might change if they played in the west. but records speak for themselves.

and i'm just strictly talking about regular season, for speculation sake and discussion. Lets not be quick and automatically think Cleveland and Chicago would make the playoffs. last 3 years Chicago: record against the west in the regular season is poor

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-19-2014, 12:46 PM
lol at mopping. come on man they barely won each game. still good wins but come on. they caught most of these teams:

Suns - back to back (had OKC the night before), win on the road, nice though
OKC - without Durant or Westbrook
Grizzlies - back to back (had OKC the night before)
Clippers - back to back (had WSH the night before)
Kings - good win for on Cousins' return, win on the road, nice though

still good wins but mopping would hardly be the term to use. Who cares about back to backs. Other wise its a two way street Bucks played 5 games in 6 nights for the close losses to Cavs and Mavs. Plus Bucks have tons of injures as well. But we keep on trucking along though with no excuses.

koreancabbage
12-19-2014, 12:48 PM
Who cares about back to backs. Other wise its a two way street Bucks played 5 games in 6 nights for the close losses to Cavs and Mavs. Plus Bucks have tons of injures as well. But we keep on trucking along though with no excuses.

i'm just clarifying the term 'mopping' you used. Mopping would be what GSW is doing to the rest of the league

Tony_Starks
12-19-2014, 01:15 PM
At the end of the day the 1st round in the West is actually the semi finals. The second round is actually the conference finals, and the WCF is actually the Championship. Whatever happens in the east playoffs is strictly to see who gets to be runner up...

Raps18-19 Champ
12-19-2014, 01:20 PM
It's still terrible, but it doesn't matter. That's just how it is.

Hawkeye15
12-19-2014, 01:28 PM
At the end of the day the 1st round in the West is actually the semi finals. The second round is actually the conference finals, and the WCF is actually the Championship. Whatever happens in the east playoffs is strictly to see who gets to be runner up...

so you are erasing all the east Championship winners in the past 25-30 years?

Raps18-19 Champ
12-19-2014, 01:30 PM

Yes, I can't wait to celebrate my WCF win as a West team over the NBA Finals as an East time.

likemystylez
12-19-2014, 01:36 PM
lol and a western conference playoff team just raped an eastern conference team in a trade- widening the gap between the east and west. Its pathetic. east needs to start coming on top of some of these trades

likemystylez
12-19-2014, 01:36 PM

if your only looking at the top team in each conference- thats not really what the problem is.

M.I.A.
12-19-2014, 01:41 PM
if your only looking at the top team in each conference- thats not really what the problem is.

There isn't any problems. Fans of the mediocre West teams are just PO'd because East teams get into the playoffs and they don't. That's just tobad. Go to the store and get yourself some extra strong Kleenex. I'm sick of reading all of these cry baby posts.

If you can't win the West then just shut up and go home and sit down, grab a brew and watch the Finals on the tube already.

Hawkeye15
12-19-2014, 01:41 PM

I am aware of that. The post I was replying to was essentially saying that the team that won the WCF was the Champion. Like the east hasn't won plenty of championships over the last 25-30 years, even with the east being the much weaker conference.

Hawkeye15
12-19-2014, 01:42 PM
There isn't any problems. Fans of the mediocre West teams are just PO'd because East teams get into the playoffs and they don't. That's just tobad. Go to the store and get yourself some extra strong Kleenex. I'm sick of reading all of these cry baby posts.

If you can't win the West then just shut up and go home and sit down, grab a brew and watch the Finals on the tube already.

must be a fan of an east team....

M.I.A.
12-19-2014, 01:47 PM
must be a fan of an east team....

Must be a fan of a mediocre west team. Touche, Bronte.

Hawkeye15
12-19-2014, 01:49 PM
Must be a fan of a mediocre west team. Touche, Bronte.

nope, a really bad one.

I am not upset with the system, it is what it is, it won't change anytime soon, the good GM's are in the west. But it's pretty juvenile to tell them to get some kleenex when you know for a fact the east versus west is a joke, and has been forever. Nobody here can do anything about it, but it's still a fact that at least 1-2 ****** teams make the playoffs every year out east, when 1-2 good teams miss it out west. Super lame.

c smooth1810
12-19-2014, 01:51 PM

hahaha I hate this talk about the east always being worse....

The past 26 years the East and West have both won 13 titles....

Hawkeye15
12-19-2014, 01:52 PM
hahaha I hate this talk about the east always being worse....

The past 26 years the East and West have both won 13 titles....

the east is worse, as a whole. The elite teams in the east have been just as good as the west teams though. That part I never got..

I also never bought into the theory that the west teams playing stronger playoff competition weaken them for the finals. If anything, it should strengthen them, they have had to fight tooth and nail to win every game for a month, while the east team in the finals had 1, maybe 2 tough series? I actually think it's a disadvantage coming from a weaker path, you don't have the same intensity level, and may not be playing as well as that west team coming out.

M.I.A.
12-19-2014, 01:54 PM
nope, a really bad one.

I am not upset with the system, it is what it is, it won't change anytime soon, the good GM's are in the west. But it's pretty juvenile to tell them to get some kleenex when you know for a fact the east versus west is a joke, and has been forever. Nobody here can do anything about it, but it's still a fact that at least 1-2 ****** teams make the playoffs every year out east, when 1-2 good teams miss it out west. Super lame.

It's more lame to cry about something as stupid as this. Either win the West, then the Finals or just shut up, already. My gosh, we stopped such childishness in HS or so I thought.

Grown men crying over spilt milk is a travesty. This whole thread is a useless tragedy for those seeking sympathy. Please. Whether you get beat in the east or the west you got beat. So win the thing or just shut up.

Baltoro
12-19-2014, 01:57 PM
Its marginally better in the top half. There's just an ever growing gap in the bottom half and a lot of surprise disappointments this year (Charlotte, NYK, Detroit).

At any rate, I've always found the whole "East vs. West" argument kinda pointless. This is a cyclical process. Power disparity will even out slightly in the future.

Vampirate
12-19-2014, 02:06 PM
the east is worse, as a whole. The elite teams in the east have been just as good as the west teams though. That part I never got..

I also never bought into the theory that the west teams playing stronger playoff competition weaken them for the finals. If anything, it should strengthen them, they have had to fight tooth and nail to win every game for a month, while the east team in the finals had 1, maybe 2 tough series? I actually think it's a disadvantage coming from a weaker path, you don't have the same intensity level, and may not be playing as well as that west team coming out.

As a Raptor fan i'd argue against that. The Fact is the majority of the teams in the East are making the best teams in the East look better than they actually are. The Raptors if they were in the West might be a .550% win team.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-19-2014, 02:21 PM
As a Raptor fan i'd argue against that. The Fact is the majority of the teams in the East are making the best teams in the East look better than they actually are. The Raptors if they were in the West might be a .550% win team.

That's being a bit generous.

Vampirate
12-19-2014, 02:23 PM
That's being a bit generous.

Well they would still face the East a 5th of the time which would boost the record a bit. I think they could have an over .500 if they were in the west, not sure by how much though.

Jamiecballer
12-19-2014, 02:33 PM
Good teams in the east are also not being challenged which probably hurts their ability to grow.

Vampirate
12-19-2014, 02:42 PM
Good teams in the east are also not being challenged which probably hurts their ability to grow.

That's probably what the 2nd round of the playoffs are for. (unless your a 4th or 5th seed team, the 1st round should be a formality for the top 3 teams)

Hawkeye15
12-19-2014, 02:47 PM

I don't consider the Raps elite though. Outside Cleveland, if they can figure it out, and possibly Chicago if Rose can ever stay healthy, I don't think they have an elite team THIS year.

Hawkeye15
12-19-2014, 02:48 PM
It's more lame to cry about something as stupid as this. Either win the West, then the Finals or just shut up, already. My gosh, we stopped such childishness in HS or so I thought.

Grown men crying over spilt milk is a travesty. This whole thread is a useless tragedy for those seeking sympathy. Please. Whether you get beat in the east or the west you got beat. So win the thing or just shut up.

don't fall off that horse haha, it will be a long drop

ghettosean
12-19-2014, 02:49 PM
I think the quality of basketball in the east is lowering the quality of the NBA product. for as long as I can remember the east hasn't been as good. the fact that it's a decade+ long trend...

the two conference system is a disservice to the entire goal of the last CBA. competitive balance.

I guess I'm alone thinking the east got better... it's been pathetic for years but so far we aren't on par for the worst conference ever like last years conference. So I'll say better not by much but the east is better this year.

Jamiecballer
12-19-2014, 02:54 PM
That's probably what the 2nd round of the playoffs are for. (unless your a 4th or 5th seed team, the 1st round should be a formality for the top 3 teams)
It still helps to play good competition regularly and that is an advantage for west teams

Tony_Starks
12-19-2014, 03:08 PM

Who's talking about the last 30 years? I'm talking about this season we are currently in,whoever wins the West are the champs.

M.I.A.
12-19-2014, 03:19 PM
Who's talking about the last 30 years? I'm talking about this season we are currently in,whoever wins the West are the champs.

Not necessarity they aren't.

Shlumpledink
12-19-2014, 03:20 PM
The difference between the two seasons is negligible. They are still two god awful products from the east.

If you wanted to get into the hall of fame, playing in the eastern conference for the last 10-15 years is the way to do it. They've had so many trash teams that it is easy to find yourself in the playoffs with a .500 record. You might even win the division.

The NBA wasn't able to sustain a good product after expansion. They need to force players to play in college for longer so they aren't coming in unprepared and busts. Teams are having firesales to secure a draft pick and they get a halfway decent player but now they can't sign anybody to play with them.

Modifying the draft would mean the nba would have less talent coming in for a couple of years but after that the players would be a lot better.

The NBA is only concerned with revenues though, not quality of their product. When fans have had enough and stop watching as much as they have been and NBA feels it in their pocketbooks they'll evaluate and make some tough decisions but for now look forward to 4-5 teams trying to tank every year, and a lot of hyped players coming in as busts or project players.

Tony_Starks
12-19-2014, 03:34 PM

Not necessarity they aren't.

Its about as close to a sure thing as you can get. The most fundamentally sound team is the Bulls and at best they'd push a Western team 6 games.....

Hawkeye15
12-19-2014, 03:39 PM

ahh, gotcha. I agree with that. I don't see a contender in the east this year. Cleveland doesn't have the defense, even if we assume their offense is a machine by years end.

Hawkeye15
12-19-2014, 03:42 PM
The difference between the two seasons is negligible. They are still two god awful products from the east.

If you wanted to get into the hall of fame, playing in the eastern conference for the last 10-15 years is the way to do it. They've had so many trash teams that it is easy to find yourself in the playoffs with a .500 record. You might even win the division.

The NBA wasn't able to sustain a good product after expansion. They need to force players to play in college for longer so they aren't coming in unprepared and busts. Teams are having firesales to secure a draft pick and they get a halfway decent player but now they can't sign anybody to play with them.

Modifying the draft would mean the nba would have less talent coming in for a couple of years but after that the players would be a lot better.

The NBA is only concerned with revenues though, not quality of their product. When fans have had enough and stop watching as much as they have been and NBA feels it in their pocketbooks they'll evaluate and make some tough decisions but for now look forward to 4-5 teams trying to tank every year, and a lot of hyped players coming in as busts or project players.

very well said. I agree with every point. And especially since the post expansion. People act as if LeBron is the only one to benefit from a weak east. Every player since 1992 has.

Vampirate
12-19-2014, 04:35 PM
I don't consider the Raps elite though. Outside Cleveland, if they can figure it out, and possibly Chicago if Rose can ever stay healthy, I don't think they have an elite team THIS year.

I don't either, hence the Raptors having a .550 win percentage (give or take) if they were in the West. They'd still probably be better than Sac, Pheonix and maybe NO but wouldn't touch the top 8 in the West.

Legitimate
12-19-2014, 05:11 PM
I don't either, hence the Raptors having a .550 win percentage (give or take) if they were in the West. They'd still probably be better than Sac, Pheonix and maybe NO but wouldn't touch the top 8 in the West.

seriously raptors wouldn't make the playoffs in the west? LOL give me what your smoking, pls bro...

Hawkeye15
12-19-2014, 05:28 PM
seriously raptors wouldn't make the playoffs in the west? LOL give me what your smoking, pls bro...

would they? Against that competition, would they win 48 games?

JasonJohnHorn
12-19-2014, 05:51 PM
Well.... once the Cavs get thier $#!T together they'll be the best team hands down. I mean... TO and ATL are at the top of the conference, and though they have decent teams, they'd get demolished by the Clippers, Warriors, Thunder, Grizzlies, and Spurs and likely the Trailblazers as well and would struggle to win a series against NO, DAL, HOU and Phoenix.

The Bulls have Gasol, Deng, and the ghost of Derrick Rose.... but what can they do when they can't even count on having their starters in a given game?

The Cavs are the only team with the actual talent required to compete, but their coaching isn't helping, and they have zero chemistry.

cdnsportsfan
12-19-2014, 05:59 PM
East has more competition at the top this season, it's no longer a given who the winner will be, but that's about it. Beyond the top five teams (Raps, Hawks, Wiz, Cavs, Bulls) there's not much else going on. Next year will be much of the same as well so hopefully everyone here is patient.

In 2016 there could be a power shift, in my opinion anyways, as the best rookies are landing in the East right now due to the East's recurring awfulness of late. Take those youngsters coming of age and combine that with the free agent bonanza and the East could rise again. If KD does leave the Thunder for instance and heads to the East, right as Duncan, Kobe and Dirk are retiring, everything could get turned on its head.

And that's the one chance the East has to regain a level of competitiveness, and teams in the East must jump at it as best they can. If it doesn't pan out the West will remain in control until the conferences inevitably get realigned as a result of the never-ending disparity.

Legitimate
12-19-2014, 06:07 PM
would they? Against that competition, would they win 48 games?

yes the raps would win 48 games in the west, we already got a good record against the west.

Hawkeye15
12-19-2014, 06:08 PM
East has more competition at the top this season, it's no longer a given who the winner will be, but that's about it. Beyond the top five teams (Raps, Hawks, Wiz, Cavs, Bulls) there's not much else going on. Next year will be much of the same as well so hopefully everyone here is patient.

In 2016 there could be a power shift, in my opinion anyways, as the best rookies are landing in the East right now due to the East's recurring awfulness of late. Take those youngsters coming of age and combine that with the free agent bonanza and the East could rise again. If KD does leave the Thunder for instance and heads to the East, right as Duncan, Kobe and Dirk are retiring, everything could get turned on its head.

And that's the one chance the East has to regain a level of competitiveness, and teams in the East must jump at it as best they can. If it doesn't pan out the West will remain in control until the conferences inevitably get realigned as a result of the never-ending disparity.

the problem is, the east has been getting the sweet lottery picks for 2 decades, and they still are so much weaker. Fact is, the better GM's are out west. If it hasn't happened by now, no reason to expect a power shift anytime soon.

Hawkeye15
12-19-2014, 06:09 PM
yes the raps would win 48 games in the west, we already got a good record against the west.

I don't think they would win that many games out west, playing them so much more often. They might make the playoffs, but we wouldn't be talking about them as a team that had a deep playoff run in them if they were out west. They would at best be a team that would need a matchup to go their way in order to even have a remote change of making it out of round 1.

Legitimate
12-19-2014, 06:12 PM
raptors have the best record out in the east for a reason, right now as it stands,, we are the best team in the east, crazy saying other teams are better when we are up 5 games on them,,, didn't we already have a silly lightning in a bottle thread about the raps, now people think they won't make it out the west :rolleyes:

Jamiecballer
12-19-2014, 06:15 PM
the problem is, the east has been getting the sweet lottery picks for 2 decades, and they still are so much weaker. Fact is, the better GM's are out west. If it hasn't happened by now, no reason to expect a power shift anytime soon.

that i agree with. its not the talent, its the coaches and gms that are so much better

Hawkeye15
12-19-2014, 06:33 PM
raptors have the best record out in the east for a reason, right now as it stands,, we are the best team in the east, crazy saying other teams are better when we are up 5 games on them,,, didn't we already have a silly lightning in a bottle thread about the raps, now people think they won't make it out the west :rolleyes:

it's expected the Cavs will get better as the season goes on. I like the Raps, they have one of the better GM's in the league (peeled him from the west), but I think people need to see them push in the playoffs before they buy into them to that degree.

Legitimate
12-19-2014, 06:37 PM
Cavs are so over rated on this site. Lebron has been regressing a tad bit and there team defense blows, love and how the hell is irving gonnna start actually playing defense come playoff time? haha atlanta would sweep the cavs 10 out of 10 times right here right now.

dalton749
12-19-2014, 06:37 PM
that i agree with. its not the talent, its the coaches and gms that are so much better

I 100% agree. toronto got rid of their terrible front office, brought in the best of the best, and its been a complete 180

theres way to much underachieving in the east with teams like ny, brooklyn, charlotte, detroit all just throwing **** at the wall

theres no foundation, culture, or identity
just spare parts that dont fit, and nothing to hang their hat on

Hawkeye15
12-19-2014, 06:45 PM
Cavs are so over rated on this site. Lebron has been regressing a tad bit and there team defense blows, love and how the hell is irving gonnna start actually playing defense come playoff time? haha atlanta would sweep the cavs 10 out of 10 times right here right now.

Right now? Cavs are not a really good team. But they have all season to figure it out, with that talent. Getting all excited about the first 20-30 games is a huge waste of time.

Sly Guy
12-20-2014, 01:42 AM
it's expected the Cavs will get better as the season goes on. I like the Raps, they have one of the better GM's in the league (peeled him from the west), but I think people need to see them push in the playoffs before they buy into them to that degree.

I can respect that. But I still see them as a clear playoff team in the west. Maybe not a home court top 4 seed, but they wouldn't be a 8-9 seed either

Hawkeye15
12-20-2014, 02:36 AM
I can respect that. But I still see them as a clear playoff team in the west. Maybe not a home court top 4 seed, but they wouldn't be a 8-9 seed either

we don't know that though. Imagine them facing west teams for the heavy portion of their schedule. Look, they will win 50-55 games this year. But, I just don't know how good they are yet.

I guess, I just need to see them make some noise. No doubt they straight up stole a GM from the west that knows what he is doing. That is a huge, huge start.

Kashmir13579
12-20-2014, 02:37 AM
Much better

Kashmir13579
12-20-2014, 02:38 AM
Dumars ruined the Pistons future. I love how dumas proves even an idiot can build a championship team with the perfect storm, all while drafting darko the same year. Crazy.

DoMeFavors
12-20-2014, 02:38 AM
I just think in the West teams know they have to bring it EVERY SINGLE night to make playoffs, in East you can take nights off and even months off and still make the playoffs. That's the mindset I think.

Hawkeye15
12-20-2014, 02:43 AM
I just think in the West teams know they have to bring it EVERY SINGLE night to make playoffs, in East you can take nights off and even months off and still make the playoffs. That's the mindset I think.

that isn't the root cause though. The root cause is, the front office talent has been in the west for nearly 3 decades, outside the outliers...

ChI_ShIzzLe
12-20-2014, 02:48 AM
http://deadspin.com/eastern-conference-basketball-can-eat-my-butt-1673127668?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebo ok&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

DoMeFavors
12-20-2014, 02:52 AM
that isn't the root cause though. The root cause is, the front office talent has been in the west for nearly 3 decades, outside the outliers...

Look at the players the west has had last 10 years in their primes KG, Kobe,Duncan,Dirk, Tmac,Durant,Melo, Deron, Chris Paul, Nash, Amare, Yao, Ray Allen. And a lot lot more. Compare that to the east it isn't even close.

Hawkeye15
12-20-2014, 04:42 AM
Look at the players the west has had last 10 years in their primes KG, Kobe,Duncan,Dirk, Tmac,Durant,Melo, Deron, Chris Paul, Nash, Amare, Yao, Ray Allen. And a lot lot more. Compare that to the east it isn't even close.

who drafted them?

Raps18-19 Champ
12-20-2014, 11:52 AM
Well they would still face the East a 5th of the time which would boost the record a bit. I think they could have an over .500 if they were in the west, not sure by how much though.

You still need 50 wins to make it .

Vampirate
12-20-2014, 12:19 PM
You still need 50 wins to make it .

What argument are you making against me?

Hawkeye said he didn't consider the Raptors elite, I agreed with him and said they'd probably have a .550 win % in the west give or take. I also said they are probably better than Sac and Pheonix and maybe NO. I also said they wouldn't touch anyone in the Top 8 in the West.

So again, what point were you making?

Raps18-19 Champ
12-20-2014, 12:31 PM
What argument are you making against me?

Hawkeye said he didn't consider the Raptors elite, I agreed with him and said they'd probably have a .550 win % in the west give or take. I also said they are probably better than Sac and Pheonix and maybe NO. I also said they wouldn't touch anyone in the Top 8 in the West.

So again, what point were you making?

Just saying that .550 is a bit generous. And that .550 doesn't mean anything in the West.

Vampirate
12-20-2014, 12:43 PM
Just saying that .550 is a bit generous. And that .550 doesn't mean anything in the West.

1. I think they could and 2, yeah it wouldn't be enough to make the playoffs in the West.

Shammyguy3
12-20-2014, 12:54 PM
The Eastern conference playoff teams have gotten better. The bottom half of the East still sucks. If Indiana were healthy they'd help a bit as well. The whole point of this thread will lead to another debate about how to restructure the playoff system so that we see the best teams play, irregardless of anything else.

Balnance the schedule as much as you can, then let the 16 best teams in, rank them 1 through 16 and let it fly

M.I.A.
12-20-2014, 12:59 PM
Don't suck. Watch basketball. It's fun.

canzano55
12-20-2014, 01:27 PM
I don't give two ***** about western conference fans and their complaints.

Try supporting a baseball team based in Toronto with the Yankees, Sox, and Orioles, as your neighbors then get back to me.

Lick my hairy penis west coast.

ghettosean
12-20-2014, 02:00 PM

Makes you think if anyone made it to the finals with super teams in the east during this poor competition pretty much had a cake walk to the finals each year :D

I agree with you by the way!

BlinkManJan02
12-20-2014, 02:12 PM
My beloved Bucks have gotten a lot better, they're already one win away from their win total all last year. That's really shtty about Jabari Parker though

Sanjay
12-20-2014, 06:53 PM

While I like what the Raptors are doing and think they are playing great, it is possible they wouldn't make the playoffs in the West. It is not so much about if they would be good enough because they would, but who would they replace? I assume one would say the Mavericks even though they have started very well. Toronto could probably edge them out, but it would be extremely close.

Sanjay
12-20-2014, 07:33 PM
The East
The East is suppose to be improving with young teams like the Wizards (with Wall and Beale) and Raptors (Lowry, DeRozan and Ross) getting better. The Pacers would have been my pick in the East if George hadn't gone down, Stephenson hadn't been traded and maybe if they got a better point guard than Hill, although George and especially Hibbert would have had to play better in the playoffs than they did last season and I guess it would really have depended on which Indiana team turned up, so big if's there. LeBron going back to Cleveland effectively made the Cavaliers the new Miami Heat, albeit a less experienced (particularly in the playoffs) and obviously not as cohesive (as now) one. This further decreased the level of the Eastern Conference. Also, the Cavaliers have struggled (as expected by most), but may not be the dominant force as predicted by season's end. The Bulls are up and down with and without Rose. The 76ers are tanking. The Celtics recently traded Rondo so clearly they are rebuilding. On the other hand, the Hawks and Bucks have surprised many and may make runs in the East playoffs.

The West
I don't think it is so much about the Eastern Conference, but about the West continuing to improve. The Mavericks, Pelicans (with Davis having a MVP-season so far), Kings (Cousins is playing at an All-Star level) and especially the Grizzlies (having the second best record in the league) have played above expectation. The Rockets managed to win games without Howard early on. The Spurs have all their players back from last year's rampant championship team and have even added a few more pieces. And I haven't even mentioned the Warriors, the best record in the NBA with Curry playing like the best point guard in the league, all of this with a new head coach and without Lee and Bogut (for the most part). Obviously, it has been disappointing for LA, the Clippers have had problems early, but they will no doubt come around, although I have never seen them as a real title chance. And of course the Lakers with an extremely weak bench and Kobe coming to the end of his career.

WashingtonFB
12-21-2014, 04:17 AM
The Raps, Wiz, Hawks, Bulls, and Cavs all have a shot at winning the conference. That's a complete 180 from last year where the only two teams that even had the slightest chance of winning the conference were the Heat and Pacers.

Bostonjorge
12-21-2014, 06:04 AM
The Raptors the best the east has to offer right now would not do any damage out west. In the playoffs if by some miracle they made it they would be in the bottom 4 with Spurs, okc, clippers and Toronto.

What team would you want to play in the first rd?

M.I.A.
12-21-2014, 11:55 AM
The Raptors the best the east has to offer right now would not do any damage out west. In the playoffs if by some miracle they made it they would be in the bottom 4 with Spurs, okc, clippers and Toronto.

What team would you want to play in the first rd?

The Raptors and the Hawks can ball with anybody in the West.

Hawks are 12 out of our last 13 including a 29 pt stomping of Lebron in his building and we beat the Rockets in their bldg last night, led the whole game.

So take that West superiority mentality and stick it where the sun don't shine.

Tony_Starks
12-21-2014, 01:41 PM
Dumars ruined the Pistons future. I love how dumas proves even an idiot can build a championship team with the perfect storm, all while drafting darko the same year. Crazy.

Man the definition of a perfect storm. Got Chauncey who everybody said could never be a pg. Got Sheed who was supposedly "a cancer." Put them with Rip, Tayshaun and Big Ben..... Just wish he would've got Melo

JasonJohnHorn
12-22-2014, 02:34 AM
The Raptors and the Wizards both look better than they did last year, and obviously the Hawks. The $#ITTY teams from last year are just $#!TTY this year, except the Bucks, who are slightly better, and the Pistons, who are for some reason a whole lot fawking worse.

Of the good team, Charlotte suddenly because garbage after a promising year?!?!?!?! The Heat who should easily be a 50-win team are struggling to stay at .500, and the Cavs, who have one of the most talented rosters in the league and should be on pace for 60 wins in the east, look like they will struggle to get 50.

I assume that the Cavs and the Heat will improve, but the thing is, there is not 'contender' in the east, so even if the total number of wins goes up slightly with teams like CLE, TO, WAS, MIL and ATL improving, the Western Conference finals will be the NBA finals with an exhibition victory series to be held against the East's winner.

Unless LBJ and whip Love and Uncle Drew into champions before then, but I get the feeling that the Cavs will need a better coach to do that.... oh, why is Phil Jackson in NY?

DaBear
12-22-2014, 03:36 AM
I know the East is weak, but there's no way the Cavs and Bulls would miss the playoffs in the West. It's not our fault we have to play in a weaker conference. That doesn't make the Bulls a lesser team than any playoff team in the West.

RaiderKid318
12-22-2014, 03:43 AM
Injuries are playing a solid role in this I believe.

Sean Moore
12-22-2014, 04:23 AM
It's gotten better in the sense that there is actually some competition instead of watching all the best players on one team beat up on all the other teams.

Vampirate
12-22-2014, 12:30 PM
I know the East is weak, but there's no way the Cavs and Bulls would miss the playoffs in the West. It's not our fault we have to play in a weaker conference. That doesn't make the Bulls a lesser team than any playoff team in the West.

I'm not sure the Bulls would make the playoffs due to the injury bug, and the Cavs just wouldn't have enough time to become an instant contender to make the playoffs.

koreancabbage
12-22-2014, 03:25 PM

Cavs at this point, would not be in the playoff picture.

The Bulls have been playing well, but they are not an automatic bye in for playoffs in the West. Not saying that as a Raptors fan, whom might not even make the playoffs in the West as well but who knows.

Lets just say this for now: I don't think anyone in the East right now are automatic 'ins' for the playoffs in the West.

They would probably be fighting for the 7th and 8th seed IMO.

dalton749
12-22-2014, 04:08 PM
****ing ridiculous
every time we hypothetically put a east team in the west, one has to move to the east

every time you do it the top 5 east teams are getting a spot

the raptors are 7-2 against the west so im not sure how they wouldnt be making it

koreancabbage
12-22-2014, 05:54 PM
****ing ridiculous
every time we hypothetically put a east team in the west, one has to move to the east

the raptors are 7-2 against the west so im not sure how they wouldnt be making it

small sample size. Raptors are indeed one of the better teams out there in the East and can certainly hold their own against teams in the West - as far as the eye test and statistics will tell you. Once a top 10 team in both offensive and defensive efficiencies (been playing bad defense since Derozan has been out) - Raptors are certainly a dangerous team.

But ofc most of the NBA fans out there underestimate how good the Raptors are and will more likely then not - see their team lose to the Raptors. This upcoming road trip is a good litmus test - one of the death road trips they will face starting in Chicago tonight.

Raptors are definitely getting underrated by the NBA fan community as a whole but because Raptors are successful, this forum will see it as (and the Raps fans) overrating the Raptors.

Team is 22-6 man. That's mighty impressive for a team most figured wouldn't be this good!

dtmagnet
12-22-2014, 06:08 PM
I'd say it is about equal, Pacers and Heat got worse but the Raptors and Wizards not to mention Cavaliers look a lot better. Even some teams like the Bucks and Celtics are looking a lot better than they were last year.

M.I.A.
12-22-2014, 11:03 PM
Don't look now but the Hawks are schooling the Mavs in their building.

East domination!

JasonJohnHorn
12-23-2014, 08:28 PM
The Raps, Wiz, Hawks, Bulls, and Cavs all have a shot at winning the conference. That's a complete 180 from last year where the only two teams that even had the slightest chance of winning the conference were the Heat and Pacers.

That isn't because the Rap, Wiz, Hawks, Bulls and Cavs are better, but rather because the Heat are worse. I mean, the Cavs and Hawks are better (or in the case of the Hawks, simply healthy)... just because calling the conference is hard doesn't mean it is better, just that there is more parity. The East has 5 teams with 20 wins already; the east has two. And neither one is a 'contender' (TOR and ATL).

The Pelicans, if they were in the East, would have a legit shot at winning the conference, and they likely won't even make the playoffs in the West.

I don't see the East as being better, just more equal, and that happened because the conference's best team lost its MVP.

andy2518
12-23-2014, 09:21 PM
****ing ridiculous

A very misleading stat to say the least. When the majority of the opponents you play are below .500 you are naturally more physically able to perform better against teams that are above .500 than teams who play against them the majority of the time. We have to see what the schedules of these teams looked like going into the games where they were 7-2. Also, what was the record of the teams who they had the seven wins against. Lastly, how many of them were coming off back to backs. Oh, and the sample size is extremely misleading as well.

M.I.A.
12-24-2014, 10:40 AM
Who is talking about Western superiority? We just whipped the Rockets and Clippers in their buildings. So suck that up and deal with it.