PDA

View Full Version : Can Gasol join "that" group?

Goose17
12-17-2014, 09:39 AM
Do you think Marc Gasol is favourite to win the MVP award this year? Can he become one of only five players to ever win both the MVP and DPOY in their careers (Michael Jordan, Hakeem Olajuwon, David Robinson and Kevin Garnett)?

If he doesn't do it this year, do you think he will be able to win it another year?

Do you think he is capable of winning both in the same year? (only done twice before).

IndyRealist
12-17-2014, 09:50 AM
I assume by "both" you mean MVP and DPOY?

Goose17
12-17-2014, 09:57 AM
I assume by "both" you mean MVP and DPOY?

Yep.

edited it, thanks.

ClutchTime
12-17-2014, 10:21 AM
No, there's too much competition in this league for him to win it. With Harden and Curry both having outstanding seasons, I find it hard for Gasol to win MVP. I'll go with DPOY, but I don't see Gasol winning MVP over Harden, Curry or Anthony Davis.

MrfadeawayJB
12-17-2014, 10:27 AM
If the grizz finish the season with the best record in the league maybe he will be in consideration.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-17-2014, 12:35 PM
MVP no
DPOY yes

2-ONE-5
12-17-2014, 12:37 PM
he is both at the moment but i dont think the league would like giving it to him.

Sadds The Gr8
12-17-2014, 12:40 PM
Doubt it because he doesn't have the appealing "per game" stats. He can be 1st team all nba tho.

Blitzbolt
12-17-2014, 01:13 PM
I think he will come up short on both.

aman_13
12-17-2014, 01:20 PM
If the grizz finish the season with the best record in the league maybe he will be in consideration.

If they finish with the best record, he should be MVP.

2-ONE-5
12-17-2014, 01:26 PM
the Spurs wont have the MVP so if the Grizz finish ahead of GSW in the top 3 i think Gasol should get it, if not and GS is ahead then it goes to Curry, outside shot for Harden to steal it

RLundi
12-17-2014, 01:43 PM
I had no idea Jordan won Defensive Player of the Year. Man, that guy was truly something special.

IgglesFanInCO
12-17-2014, 01:50 PM
If they finish with the best record, he should be MVP.

Should being the key word, they would probably still give it to some shooter.

PurpleLynch
12-17-2014, 01:51 PM
Yes if he keeps this pace and manage to reache the first place in the West at the end of the season. It's this year or he won't be able to win it in the future imo.

Tony_Starks
12-17-2014, 02:10 PM
Westbrook or CP3 might have something to say about MVP. As far as DPOY he'll probably win that by default. Maybe DJ for the Clipps could make a run at it, or Khawi but they are long shots...

alexander_37
12-17-2014, 02:13 PM
Gasol will never win MVP

mRc08
12-17-2014, 02:18 PM
I think he can if the stats show he deserves it. I haven't watched many memphis games, so for those that have watched him play does he deserve it? Stats are in no way the end all be all, but its a big part. if his stats are comparable with other candidates and his team is successful (like top of the conference) he can for sure.

mngopher35
12-17-2014, 02:23 PM
I think winning the MVP will be tougher but it is possible. They need to have a late win streak or finish first in the west though because stories have an impact.

I think he has a great shot at dpoy though. My guess is he wins that but not MVP.

ManningToTyree
12-17-2014, 06:01 PM
I don't see him ever winning MVP but he should be in the dpoy conversation for a few years.

mightybosstone
12-17-2014, 06:10 PM
"Can he" and "will he" are two different questions, Goose. Sure, it's possible that he could win MVP and DPOY in the same year in his career. But it's not terribly likely. As good as he's been this year, there have been probably at least four or five other guys that are playing just as well, if not better. If the season ended today, he would deserve a top 5 finish for MVP, but I can't imagine him winning it outright. And we're still talking about a really small sample size of the season.

Plus, you have to consider how unlikely it is for a player to win both awards. Look at the guys who have accomplished that feat and consider how dominant they were on both ends of the floor. Do we really put Gasol in the same category offensively? I don't. And I think he'd have to be a dominant offensive player to warrant voters giving him both awards.

mightybosstone
12-17-2014, 06:12 PM
Also, the answers to this poll question aren't great. The second and fourth answer can essentially mean the same thing. I don't even really think the second answer is necessary. A simple "no" would have sufficed.

JasonJohnHorn
12-18-2014, 01:13 AM
If a limited offensive player is in the running for MVP, they'll just give him the DPOY as a consolation prize.

Gasol is obviously a very talented offensive player, but he doesn't get the jaw-dropping scoring numbers that Kobe, KD and LBJ got when they were winning MVPs.

Gasol is a great passer for a big man, but not as good as some (Noah and perhaps his brother for instance). And his rebounding numbers are underwhelming for a center.

Unless you are among the league leaders in assists, you are going to have to average more than 20 points a game to win MVP. Gasol is hovering around 20, but with his low rebounding numbers, I'm not sure an MVP is in the stars.

This is not to suggest that I don't think he is deserving, merely that I don't think voters will see it that way.

PowerHouse
12-18-2014, 01:43 AM
He wont join that elite group but a different elite group.

He will become only the 8th player in history to win multiple DPOYs joining Sidney Moncrief, Dennis Rodman, Hakeem Olajuwon, Alonzo Mourning, Dikembe Mutumbo, Ben Wallace and Dwight.

Goose17
12-18-2014, 03:02 AM
Also, the answers to this poll question aren't great. The second and fourth answer can essentially mean the same thing. I don't even really think the second answer is necessary. A simple "no" would have sufficed.

I think they're great options. One is stating that he has a chance to win MVP this year (maybe due to Cavs struggling and KD being injured or whatever) and he won't get that chance again due to players like KD, LBJ, Davis etc and the other is stating that he doesn't have a cancer this year or any other.

Also, your previous post. He doesn't have to win them in the same year to be a part of "that" group. If he wins mvp this year he will join that group. Only two people have won them both in the same year.

Bruno
12-18-2014, 05:10 AM
If Memphis finishes with the first or second record in the west, he has a great chance.

2-ONE-5
12-18-2014, 12:40 PM
If a limited offensive player is in the running for MVP, they'll just give him the DPOY as a consolation prize.

Gasol is obviously a very talented offensive player, but he doesn't get the jaw-dropping scoring numbers that Kobe, KD and LBJ got when they were winning MVPs.

Gasol is a great passer for a big man, but not as good as some (Noah and perhaps his brother for instance). And his rebounding numbers are underwhelming for a center.

Unless you are among the league leaders in assists, you are going to have to average more than 20 points a game to win MVP. Gasol is hovering around 20, but with his low rebounding numbers, I'm not sure an MVP is in the stars.

This is not to suggest that I don't think he is deserving, merely that I don't think voters will see it that way.

this is why stats shouldnt fuly decide the MVP. Outside of Curry what player currently has been more valuable and made a bigger impact on their team so far? Kd and Westy are prob the only 2 who compare but neither is gonna win it as a 6-8 seed

TO Rapz
12-18-2014, 01:04 PM
The guy is absolutely special. Can do everything. I love his game so much you have no idea. I still love my Bulls RD team.

Patrick Beverley
Tony Allen
Carmelo Anthony
Channing Frye
Marc Gasol

and my NBARD team had Gasol too lmao.

Jeff Teague
Joe Johnson
Luol Deng
Zach Randolph
Marc Gasol

Huge mancrush.