PDA

View Full Version : Report: The Kings Are Going To Try a 4 on 5 Defensive Scheme

Baltoro
12-15-2014, 03:57 PM
http://deadspin.com/report-the-kings-are-going-to-try-a-4-on-5-defensive-s-1671301557

4 on 5 Defense? Hmmmmmkkkkaaayyyy

jp611
12-15-2014, 04:00 PM
Their owner is delusional. He's worse than the MaGoofs.

jaydubb
12-15-2014, 04:01 PM
Legit..

This is what we would do in the rec league all day.. 4 guys play defense while the fattest **** on the team kicks back on the other side of the court..

Most of the time he wouldn't even make it past half court..

He'd occasionally lead the team in scoring because when we get rebounds we'd just throw it down the court and he'd get EZ buckets.

Goose17
12-15-2014, 04:04 PM
Legit..

This is what we would do in the rec league all day.. 4 guys play defense while the fattest **** on the team kicks back on the other side of the court..

Most of the time he wouldn't even make it past half court..

He'd occasionally lead the team in scoring because when we get rebounds we'd just throw it down the court and he'd get EZ buckets.

I play every Friday and we have one guy who just loves to do this. Fat ****. We do enjoy the easy wins though.

If this works in a rec situation I see no reason why it wouldn't work in the NBA...

It's unlikely that Corbin will actually leave one guy standing under the basket while the other four play a makeshift zone defense—what will likely happen is that one wing player will be designated to sprint back on offense as soon as a shot goes up—but no matter the details, this is some crazy **** that will be fun to watch.

Truth^

jaydubb
12-15-2014, 04:06 PM
I play every Friday and we have one guy who just loves to do this. Fat ****.

If this works in a rec situation I see no reason why it wouldn't work in the NBA...

Haha!

Yea it's not gonna work in the NBA.. It would be funny to watch it implemented tho.

mjt20mik
12-15-2014, 04:06 PM
Man I'm a baller in Rec league.. i totally would be the next Kobe in the NBA... cause you know rec league = NBA

C'mon guys :eyebrow:

jimm120
12-15-2014, 04:07 PM
you can't get away with that in the nba simply because all positions are highly skilled.

This isn't a college team, which has 2 nba quality players on it along with 10 other non-nba players.
This isn't a rec team, which has 0 nba quality players on it.
This isn't the park, which has 0 nba quality players on it.

Goose17
12-15-2014, 04:08 PM
Man I'm a baller in Rec league.. i totally would be the next Kobe in the NBA... cause you know rec league = NBA

lol, just jokes.

jp611
12-15-2014, 04:09 PM
This is going to end ugly.

jaydubb
12-15-2014, 04:09 PM

Yea that was completely a joke.. I never even thought something like this would happen in college let alone the highest level of basketball on the planet..

Baltoro
12-15-2014, 04:13 PM
I remember hearing about this in a podcast in the off-season. It was Vivek's idea to implement it. He is WAY too involved with that team.

dalton749
12-15-2014, 04:16 PM
pretty sure if i played for them id be going right to the media to rip the owner apart and publicly ask for a trade
check book in hand to make a point

GunFactor187
12-15-2014, 04:23 PM
This is why the Kings can't get nice things...

Hawkeye15
12-15-2014, 04:24 PM
I would love to see this employed. I mean, even playing 4-5, you should be able to hold them to 55-57% shooting, and shoot %65-70% on the other end. But, the other team would make an adjustment, and have a guy dragging to stop the throw over. It would very quickly become a 4-4.5...

nycericanguy
12-15-2014, 04:25 PM
I've always wondered why teams didn't at least TRY this.

In theory, if you could make the opposition take a jumpshot, even a good jumpshooter is more likely to miss more often than they make... and if you get the rebound you'd have a great chance at an easy layup.

How many times do we see a player fall at one end and not get back in time to play D, and yet the other team still doesn't score?

Not saying it will work, but it could be interesting.

Kyben36
12-15-2014, 04:25 PM
this is not going to work, they will be out rebounded, out scored, they might get one or two leak, outs a game, but give up 10-15 open shots, specefically 3pt shots. nba shooting is too good in todays game.

nycericanguy
12-15-2014, 04:26 PM
I would love to see this employed. I mean, even playing 4-5, you should be able to hold them to 55-57% shooting, and shoot %65-70% on the other end. But, the other team would make an adjustment, and have a guy dragging to stop the throw over. It would very quickly become a 4-4.5...

exactly my point... and yea I'd imaging the opposing team would send someone to run back as soon as the shot is attempted. but I could see this being useful as a way to catch teams off guard for a couple of easy baskets a game.

imbetterthanyou
12-15-2014, 04:28 PM
its going to rain corner 3s on my joke of a franchise.

Baltoro
12-15-2014, 04:31 PM
its going to rain corner 3s on my joke of a franchise.

Hang in there, bruh. Vinny will make it better.

SF8
12-15-2014, 04:31 PM
Kings can make their worst defender be the cherry picker.

Goose17
12-15-2014, 04:33 PM
This is why the Kings can't get nice things...

:laugh:

BALLER R
12-15-2014, 04:36 PM
Even in rec ball you let someone on your team stay with the guy that's cherry picking. Also all you gotta do if the team is playing 4 on 5 defense is that as the opponent one guy will always be open so just hit 3's. Let the fat *** get his layups all he wants while we shoot open 3's.

Crackadalic
12-15-2014, 04:47 PM
I'm not sure what to think of this

It can work but idk if is possible in todays nba game

Still don't like the firing

Pain of the ets
12-15-2014, 05:19 PM
You need a Kevin Love for this to work.
Rebound, then outlet pass.

Would only work for a couple of games, then teams would adjust, we are talking about pro coaches, not rec.
They will lose a game by 50, then it will be over

Hawkeye15
12-15-2014, 05:22 PM
You need a Kevin Love for this to work.
Rebound, then outlet pass.

Would only work for a couple of games, then teams would adjust, we are talking about pro coaches, not rec.
They will lose a game by 50, then it will be over

it would work for a couple plays, a few times a year at most

tredigs
12-15-2014, 06:57 PM
Lmfao. I'm just imagining this against Golden State right now.

There is no scenario where the team doesn't get an open corner three or a dunk, and while the shot is in the air you just have the furthest guard back run back on D to easily thwart 90% of the outlet pass opportunities they'd have. Roughly ~60 point win if they played it out all game.

AlixGx
12-15-2014, 07:15 PM
Why don't they just leak out more on fastbreaks after the shot is up, like the guy contesting the shooter just leaks out for the break?

mRc08
12-15-2014, 07:22 PM
This won't work. Worst case scenario the other team leaves their worst defensive player to guard the cherry picker. This 4v4 would favor the better team. If it eventually did work the nba would put in a rule.

steelcityroller
12-15-2014, 07:26 PM
When do we see the team that only shoots first look 3-pointers like some of these high school and small college teams that are breaking scoring records?

AIRMAR72
12-15-2014, 07:28 PM
http://deadspin.com/report-the-kings-are-going-to-try-a-4-on-5-defensive-s-1671301557

4 on 5 defense? Hmmmmmkkkkaaayyyymadness

Goose17
12-15-2014, 07:47 PM
When do we see the team that only shoots first look 3-pointers like some of these high school and small college teams that are breaking scoring records?

Reno D-league team is doing that right now. They've been running a version of the Grinnell System

KingPosey
12-15-2014, 07:57 PM
This isn't some D3 college team, I have no clue what our owner is thinking.

JasonJohnHorn
12-15-2014, 10:03 PM
This might work, but the league would have a rule change made in the off season to stop teams from doing it in the future. Like defensive players have five seconds to get on the defensive end once the ball passes half court. There is no future in this approach.

That said, as high a percentage as a team might have with a 5/4 advantage, nothing would be higher than the near 100% conversion on the other end with that guy going 1-on-0.

I thought I heard this earlier in the season? Is this why Malone got canned? Because he wouldn't do this?

The problem is that even if it is effective THIS season, come playoffs, teams will just leave a guy back there to defend him and the offense would turn into 4-on-4, which will benefit teams that go ISO because it clears space. And THAT could create an even bigger problem.

This is the kind of thing that would work on certain plays, where you pull it out 4 or 5 times a game, so the opposing team can't plan around it, but even if that happens, it violates the spirit of the game, so for now, officials can fall a foul for that (there is a rule for 'violating the spirit of the game' which officials can call if they see something bizzare going on, like Tyson Chandler blocking a shoe, or somebody throwing their shoe at a ball), and come the off season, the league would put a rule on the books.

Silly idea.

Cal827
12-15-2014, 10:10 PM
Looks like Philly fans should be worried about draft position after all

Crunch Time
12-15-2014, 10:18 PM
They'll need Murasakibara.

Kyben36
12-16-2014, 12:59 AM
This might work, but the league would have a rule change made in the off season to stop teams from doing it in the future. Like defensive players have five seconds to get on the defensive end once the ball passes half court. There is no future in this approach.

That said, as high a percentage as a team might have with a 5/4 advantage, nothing would be higher than the near 100% conversion on the other end with that guy going 1-on-0.

I thought I heard this earlier in the season? Is this why Malone got canned? Because he wouldn't do this?

The problem is that even if it is effective THIS season, come playoffs, teams will just leave a guy back there to defend him and the offense would turn into 4-on-4, which will benefit teams that go ISO because it clears space. And THAT could create an even bigger problem.

This is the kind of thing that would work on certain plays, where you pull it out 4 or 5 times a game, so the opposing team can't plan around it, but even if that happens, it violates the spirit of the game, so for now, officials can fall a foul for that (there is a rule for 'violating the spirit of the game' which officials can call if they see something bizzare going on, like Tyson Chandler blocking a shoe, or somebody throwing their shoe at a ball), and come the off season, the league would put a rule on the books.

Silly idea.

your over estimating, 1st off, you have to out rebound them 4-5, then you have to toss the ball accurately up the court, and they dont have a kevin love on that team, thats also under the impression that the shooter doesnt just funnel back after the shot. its a bad idea, and almost every nba team will have no problem executing 5 on 4. especially with the 3pt shooting in the nba today, no rule should be made, its going to fail,

BirdIsTheWord
12-16-2014, 01:25 AM
Can't see it working. Even if the team missed they would get a heap of offensive rebounds.

kingsdelez24
12-16-2014, 01:33 AM
Vivek Ranadive is like the Indian Jackie Moon at this point unless he gets Karl

JLynn943
12-16-2014, 02:14 AM
Because we really need to be even more of a laughing stock. We went from looking promising and respectable to being a joke with one move.

Lakers + Giants
12-16-2014, 02:45 AM
With how athletic players are now, I still wouldn't trust an outlet pass to be that effective.

I can easily see the pass being deflected or stolen most of the time lmao.

PurpleLynch
12-16-2014, 08:20 AM
That is ****in nuts. I just want to witness it.

WSU Tony
12-16-2014, 11:11 AM
Most of the commentators here didn't even read the article. They aren't sitting the 5th guy under the basket to cherry pick. They'll have a 5th guy with the responsibility of sprinting down the floor as soon as a shot goes up. This is very much what Corey Brewer has been doing for the past 2-3 years.

Honestly - the meat and potatoes of the article was a paragraph long. Some of you are lazy as ****.

Goose17
12-16-2014, 11:31 AM
Most of the commentators here didn't even read the article. They aren't sitting the 5th guy under the basket to cherry pick. They'll have a 5th guy with the responsibility of sprinting down the floor as soon as a shot goes up. This is very much what Corey Brewer has been doing for the past 2-3 years.

Honestly - the meat and potatoes of the article was a paragraph long. Some of you are lazy as ****.

The article was speculating what they might be talking about. Nobody knows.

And even then they're talking about a guy leaking out to near half court. It's a crazy idea.

What you're talking about is essentially a fast break and pushing the ball. That's not the same as playing 4 on 5.

JustinTime
12-16-2014, 12:55 PM

I've played with guys in rec league/pickup games who are now in the NBA so Rec = NBA.

Sadds The Gr8
12-16-2014, 01:13 PM
Shooting is way too good in the nba for this ****. The spurs would rip this team a new *** hole.

This owner is a clown.....

Bostonjorge
12-17-2014, 01:23 AM
The team with 5 players will score everytime. One guy running around open, cuting and going back door. Or just pass the ball to the open guy and have him go full speed to the basket and there will either be a dunk or a foul.

IBleedPurple
12-17-2014, 09:52 AM
Revolutionary. It's the modern Manute Bol offense. It's gonna work gloriously.

WSU Tony
12-17-2014, 11:19 AM
The article was speculating what they might be talking about. Nobody knows.

And even then they're talking about a guy leaking out to near half court. It's a crazy idea.

What you're talking about is essentially a fast break and pushing the ball. That's not the same as playing 4 on 5.

When the shot goes up Brewer sprints down the court. A normal rebound is pulled down and then chucked down the court. It isn't a fast break situation at all, it's a completely normal rebound after a missed shot (near the basket) then thrown over hand like a football to the steaking Brewer.

I don't consider that 5 vs 4 and I don't consider it a fast break. That's my point. The team won't be playing 5 vs 4 with a guy sitting under the opposite basket like most posters here on PSD are assuming it'll be like. The 5th defender will be at the top of the 3 point line or a few steps backwards. He's still playing defense by screwing up the spacing.

Twolves88
12-17-2014, 01:21 PM
If I am the team that has 5 offensive players on 4 defensive players you can bet the four on defense are going to be playing D for atleast 20 seconds every time down the court. Have fun playing with taht all game long. God forbid we get an offensive rebound.

bleedprple&gold
12-17-2014, 01:55 PM
When are they going to "try this." Watched some of the Kings game last night and I didn't see it.

Goose17
12-17-2014, 03:02 PM
. The team won't be playing 5 vs 4 with a guy sitting under the opposite basket

Prove it.

You don't know what they'll do anymore than anyone else on here. This is all speculation. Nobody knows what they actually mean.

And it is a fast break what you're talking about. If a team miss and a player or two run out to get a quick bucket, that's a fast break.

The definition of a fast break is literally "A team attempts to move the ball up court and score as quickly as possible so that the defense is outnumbered and does not have time to set up".

That's exactly what you're talking about.

0nekhmer
12-17-2014, 03:36 PM
This is jokes, can't wait to be watch them heave full court passes only for it to go out of bounds half the time. Guys are athletic AF these days and could get back fairly quickly so this idea will end badly

thenaj17
12-18-2014, 09:26 AM
Even in rec ball you let someone on your team stay with the guy that's cherry picking. Also all you gotta do if the team is playing 4 on 5 defense is that as the opponent one guy will always be open so just hit 3's. Let the fat *** get his layups all he wants while we shoot open 3's.

Pretty sure i'd take 100% 2pt layups to 30-40% 3pt attempts.

Wouldn't work in the NBA. The team attacking the 4 will score at will and get layups/wide open jumpers all day long. The should manage to get whatever shot they wish

Sactown
12-18-2014, 03:04 PM
Prove it.

You don't know what they'll do anymore than anyone else on here. This is all speculation. Nobody knows what they actually mean.

And it is a fast break what you're talking about. If a team miss and a player or two run out to get a quick bucket, that's a fast break.

The definition of a fast break is literally "A team attempts to move the ball up court and score as quickly as possible so that the defense is outnumbered and does not have time to set up".

That's exactly what you're talking about.

It's not going to happen, it was just an idea brought up by the owner in the off season, Corbin has already stated its not in the plans