PDA

View Full Version : Kings fire Mike Malone

Ariza's Better
12-15-2014, 02:14 AM
The Kings have fired Mike Malone after not meeting Win/Loss expectations of the ownership
Source:
https://twitter.com/wojyahoonba/status/544371444118196224
Sorry, forgot to add Ty Corbin will take over as caretaker.

Deception
12-15-2014, 02:17 AM
Stupid decision, unless they think they're in contention for a playoff spot, his replacement most likely won't be better.. Can't wait to see the next domino fall with roster changes.

Crackadalic
12-15-2014, 02:18 AM
Cousins is out and they play in the west. Makes no sense

Sadds The Gr8
12-15-2014, 02:20 AM
Lol they wont make the playoffs regardless. They were probably overachieving...

That FO is delusional.

Cracka2HI!
12-15-2014, 02:20 AM
WOW!! There must be more to this.

Crackadalic
12-15-2014, 02:27 AM
Cousins love this dude. Trade coming?

moshy2
12-15-2014, 02:32 AM
Really? They were exceeding my W/L expectations. Malone is a quality coach. I was very disappointed to see him leave the Warriors bench. He can get an assistant job in a heartbeat and it won't be long before he's back to being a head coach. Kings made a big mistake with this one, I thought they were on the upswing. I wish Boogie would get out of there, management sucks

Sean Moore
12-15-2014, 02:36 AM
Cousins is out and they play in the west. Makes no sense

That's exactly what I was thinking.

jp611
12-15-2014, 02:37 AM
Well, didn't the Kings owner suggest playing 4-on-5 on defense w/ a cherry picker?

I think it's safe to say that Kings ownership and front office is one of the worst in the league.

JV35
12-15-2014, 02:41 AM
But, seriously--what did you really expect from some punk who needed to ride daddy's coattails to get a job?

Crunch Time
12-15-2014, 02:45 AM
uh what? WHAT.

JLynn943
12-15-2014, 02:51 AM
Please tell me this is a joke. I just don't understand this FO. We were making legitimate progress and have been without our best player. I'm dumbfounded.

True Sports Fan
Can someone send me a bandwagon form? ****ing done with this team lol. I'll follow Cousins, Gay and McLemore, but not putting with this sorry excuse as a team.

bgdreton
Wow that's a stupid move Malone is good and boogie has been out for a while.

JLynn943
12-15-2014, 02:59 AM
I can't believe how stupid this is. Unless there's some great coach waiting to coach here (ha), this is just about the worst move to make. Why would any player want to come to an organization this unstable? And on top of everything this is a coach that the players love and that has gotten through with Cousins.

We're going to suck forever.

SF8
12-15-2014, 03:02 AM
Wtf WHY?

Kings look actually good this season. They have slipped since Cousins absence but still, they finally looked like a team.

They fire Malone and they just made Ty Corbin their freaking head coach??

LMAO!!!!

Is that Indian guy still the Kings owner?

M.Bibby2.0
12-15-2014, 03:03 AM
Unless Pete is bringing in his Denver pal George Karl for the HC job, this is a horrible move.

Sean Moore
12-15-2014, 03:05 AM
Unless Pete is bringing in his Denver pal George Karl for the HC job, this is a horrible move.

I agree. If he got Karl, this would be a good move. Otherwise, it's completely unjustified.

True Sports Fan
12-15-2014, 03:11 AM
Even if we did get Karl... This isn't 2k where you can just switch HC's and compete the next minute.

dalton749
12-15-2014, 03:15 AM
The first coach to make Rudy gay play efficient basketball. I feel bad for kings fans but there had to be someone in place. Nobody is dumb enough to leave their team to Corbin lol

M.Bibby2.0
12-15-2014, 03:21 AM
Even if we did get Karl... This isn't 2k where you can just switch HC's and compete the next minute.

George Karl was appointed HC of the Nuggets midseason back in 05 and they finished the season on a 32-8 tear.

But in fairness you're probably right.

SF8
12-15-2014, 03:23 AM
Ty Corbin is an awful head coach.

I can't believe Sacramento fired Malone who did well when he had his best player in the lineup.

This would be equivalent to OKC firing Scott Brooks for the Thunder's crappy record when Durant and Westbrook were out. But Presti isn't that stupid.

I could see Cousins demanding out of Sacramento now.

JLynn943
12-15-2014, 03:28 AM
Ty Corbin is an awful head coach.

I can't believe Sacramento fired Malone who did well when he had his best player in the lineup.

This would be equivalent to OKC firing Scott Brooks for the Thunder's crappy record when Durant and Westbrook were out. But Presti isn't that stupid.

I could see Cousins demanding out of Sacramento now.

Seriously. Everything I've ever heard about Malone is how players like him and respect him. What a fantastic way to ruin the positive changes this team was making and make players mad.

Baltoro
12-15-2014, 03:30 AM
Yeah man. You gotta question the front office moves. Grantland made a pretty sweet video documenting what the Kings did on draft day. What was most glaring was the amount of say the owner (Vivek?) had in the draft choice.

Baltoro
12-15-2014, 03:32 AM
Well, didn't the Kings owner suggest playing 4-on-5 on defense w/ a cherry picker?

I think it's safe to say that Kings ownership and front office is one of the worst in the league.

Yeah man. You gotta question the front office moves. Grantland made a pretty sweet video documenting what the Kings did on draft day. What was most glaring was the amount of say the owner (Vivek?) had in the draft choice.

Baltoro
12-15-2014, 03:34 AM
Kinda hard to establish a winning culture with your team when you change coaches as frequently they have. 4 different coaches in 3 years? No es bueno

Ariza's Better
12-15-2014, 03:41 AM
Hate to pile on the Kings fans but:
https://twitter.com/wojyahoonba/status/544390253101203457

Baltoro
12-15-2014, 03:53 AM

Hahahaha no way!

sf-fanatic
12-15-2014, 03:56 AM
This is really strange...

Sean Moore
12-15-2014, 04:01 AM

Oh no. lol

Bozeman
12-15-2014, 04:04 AM
Obviously some behind the scenes crap going on here.

Sadds The Gr8
12-15-2014, 04:32 AM
Yea there has to be a Mark Jackson situation

GoferKing_
12-15-2014, 04:34 AM
Fuuuuuk this FO... the names changed but the shiet is the same...

SF8
12-15-2014, 05:43 AM
Kendrick Perkins on the Sacramento Kings strong start to the season couple weeks ago: "Their still the f***ing Sacramento Kings".

mngopher35
12-15-2014, 06:01 AM
Wow, I am surprised by this. I thought they looked to be going in the right direction before Cousins went down. Any Kings fans have any sort of idea or reasoning as to why this would happen (Ive only seen about 4 of their games so could be missing something)?

IBleedPurple
12-15-2014, 06:11 AM
Malone should be able to fire the owner. It should take a veteran coach for that job, no young guy should skate on thin ice and then get canned due to other factors like talent and the FO.

PurpleLynch
12-15-2014, 07:48 AM
Noob move. Really noob move.

NYKnickFanatic
12-15-2014, 07:58 AM
Wow, that doesn't seem fair.

I thought he was doing a good job with them, in the West, before Cousins got sick.

MonroeFAN
12-15-2014, 08:56 AM
As pretty much every other member here has suggested, I have zero idea why a move like this would be made. It's so random.

Goose17
12-15-2014, 08:56 AM
LOL... wow.

And bringing in Vinny? Seriously?

Wow. Just wow.

beasted86
12-15-2014, 08:57 AM
They need a more proven vet coach like George Karl or Doug Collins who will have the player's respect and knows a good offensive system to work with them... definitely not Ty Corbin or Vinny Del Negro

arlubas
12-15-2014, 09:23 AM
The Kings' FO is trolling us all, no other way to make sense out of this. Like what did they actually expect out of the team they have AND their best player being out for so many games as well?

ewing
12-15-2014, 09:58 AM

exactly, player coup or front office battle. something went down that didn't happen in games

InRoseWeTrust
12-15-2014, 10:17 AM
Awful decision

JasonJohnHorn
12-15-2014, 10:25 AM
I thought the team was doing pretty good to be honest.

Unless they have another coach, like Karl or JVG, read to step in that is a clear improvement, I don't see the purpose of this.

I don't think anybody outside of Pop or P-Jax or Sloan would get a better result out of this roster.

JLynn943
12-15-2014, 10:25 AM
exactly, player coup or front office battle. something went down that didn't happen in games

Sounds like he had a ridiculously short leash since he wasn't our front office's guy. Still absolutely ridiculous considering we were off to our best start in years and only started to struggle once our best player got sick.

mightybosstone
12-15-2014, 10:28 AM
As other posters have suggested, there has to be something behind the scenes going on there that just hasn't trickled out into the media yet. Otherwise, it makes no sense why you would fire a coach on a team having its best season in years right in the middle of a totally justifiable slump while their star player is missing time.

If they hire Vinny del ****ing Negro, Kings fans should revolt and protest outside of every home game.

Shady66
12-15-2014, 10:45 AM
Wow

BALLER R
12-15-2014, 10:54 AM
Makes no sense

Daze9900
12-15-2014, 11:17 AM
Kings Tank is out

Goose17
12-15-2014, 11:44 AM
Rumour is D'Alessandro isn't happy with the teams offense and dislikes the defense first mind set that Malone was trying to instill. D'Alessandro worked with Don Nelson and I'm thinking that influenced him.

likemystylez
12-15-2014, 12:33 PM
Rumour is D'Alessandro isn't happy with the teams offense and dislikes the defense first mind set that Malone was trying to instill. D'Alessandro worked with Don Nelson and I'm thinking that influenced him.

kind of odd to fire a guy who actually had the kings in playoff fighting position with a fairly young roster that was going to get better over the next couple yrs. theyve dropped out but its pretty clear thats cuz cousins is out.

likemystylez
12-15-2014, 12:40 PM
I guess management is trying to change the culture. They had high expectations and excuses or not- they were not going to settle for less. players get injured in sports- the league doesnt give you a pass on the games lost as a result- why should the owners?

beasted86
12-15-2014, 12:55 PM
I guess management is trying to change the culture. They had high expectations and excuses or not- they were not going to settle for less. players get injured in sports- the league doesnt give you a pass on the games lost as a result- why should the owners?

So should the Thunder have fired Brooks for the slow start?

I think this is a questionable ideology to have when it comes to running a team. In my opinion you don't fire a coach mid season unless you truly believe it will improve the team.. You don't fire him to "send a message". So do you think they really have that much faith in Corbin?

Chronz
12-15-2014, 01:23 PM
Plz come to LAC

Chronz
12-15-2014, 01:24 PM
Because ur More likely to be making a mistake if you ignore context altogether

Chronz
12-15-2014, 01:27 PM
As other posters have suggested, there has to be something behind the scenes going on there that just hasn't trickled out into the media yet. Otherwise, it makes no sense why you would fire a coach on a team having its best season in years right in the middle of a totally justifiable slump while their star player is missing time.

If they hire Vinny del ****ing Negro, Kings fans should revolt and protest outside of every home game.
The correct saying goes:
****ing Vinny Del ****ing Negro

At least here in la

Jamiecballer
12-15-2014, 01:28 PM
WOW i would have promoted him for exceeding my win loss expectations

JasonJohnHorn
12-15-2014, 01:33 PM
The correct saying goes:
****ing Vinny Del ****ing Negro

At least here in la

That was Donald Sterling's pick. He didn't want to look racist, so he hired a 'negro' without even interviewing him. He was livid when he met him in person, but his PR guy said: Don't worry, we'll spin this. We'll say that even when you hire white people they are Negro.

JasonJohnHorn
12-15-2014, 01:34 PM

This sounds about right. I don't know what else could be the problem.

likemystylez
12-15-2014, 01:37 PM
Because ur More likely to be making a mistake if you ignore context altogether

in the big picture though- does context really matter?

when people look back at history and see big failures or big accomplishments- do they care what little details were around them. Lakers won 33 games in a row- do people care that the streak would have ended at 10 games if the refs didnt blow 2 huge calls in the last 3 minutes of the game against the the bucks? They gave jerry west free throws when the bucks only had 1 team foul on a reach in in the back court. they also called it off the bucks when it was john trapp and jim mcmillin fighting over a rebound with no buck within 8 feet. (no replay back then)......

nobody every mentions that little stuff when they talk about the lakers 34 straight wins. LOL let alone the injuries that their opposing teams might have had

Chronz
12-15-2014, 01:40 PM
in the big picture though- does context really matter?

when people look back at history and see big failures or big accomplishments- do they care what little details were around them. Lakers won 33 games in a row- do people care that the streak would have ended at 10 games if the refs didnt blow 2 huge calls in the last 3 minutes of the game against the the bucks? They gave jerry west free throws when the bucks only had 1 team foul on a reach in in the back court. they also called it off the bucks when it was john trapp and jim mcmillin fighting over a rebound with no buck within 8 feet. (no replay back then)......

nobody every mentions that little stuff when they talk about the lakers 34 straight wins. LOL let alone the injuries that their opposing teams might have had
Of course it matters, when discussing history but far more importantly, when projecting the future. Not really seeing your point here.

likemystylez
12-15-2014, 01:41 PM
This sounds about right. I don't know what else could be the problem.

the kings management had a higher win/loss expectation than malone delivered

likemystylez
12-15-2014, 01:45 PM
Of course it matters, when discussing history but far more importantly, when projecting the future. Not really seeing your point here.

the point is- nobody cares about the little details- the focus is on wins and losses... and in the west- thats a big enough issue to stay 100% concerned with... not whos injures on any given night. its not always fair- but the vast majority of coaches who get fired could make a solid argument that they werent fired under perfectly fair conditions.

on a side note- something very strange i noticed here- Both of tyrone corbins stints as a head coach came after kind of shocking scenerios. When sloan suddenly retired after 22 yrs during mid season, and then whatever is going on with mike malone

Chronz
12-15-2014, 01:49 PM
the point is- nobody cares about the little details- the focus is on wins and losses... and in the west- thats a big enough issue to stay 100% concerned with... not whos injures on any given night. its not always fair- but the vast majority of coaches who get fired could make a solid argument that they werent fired under perfectly fair conditions.

on a side note- something very strange i noticed here- Both of tyrone corbins stints as a head coach came after kind of shocking scenerios. When sloan suddenly retired after 22 yrs during mid season, and then whatever is going on with mike malone
But we're not talking about "nobody", we're talking about those who should be in the know. Whatever they believe, it better not be as simplistic as ignoring context altogether. That's the kind of management that makes the mistakes imo.

likemystylez
12-15-2014, 01:51 PM
But we're not talking about "nobody", we're talking about those who should be in the know. Whatever they believe, it better not be as simplistic as ignoring context altogether. That's the kind of management that makes the mistakes imo.

yes but sitting there and repeatedly giving the roster/ coaching staff a pass wasnt exactly working either over the last 8 or 9 yrs. the front office is trying to emphasize that winning is a priority in the organization

Chronz
12-15-2014, 01:51 PM
the kings management had a higher win/loss expectation than malone delivered
I wonder what they based those projections on. If i were taking an analytical approach, i would hope they delve just abit deeper.

Sounds more like a stylistic change than any based on what wins and loses in this league

likemystylez
12-15-2014, 01:52 PM
I wonder what they based those projections on. If i were taking an analytical approach, i would hope they delve just abit deeper.

Sounds more like a stylistic change than any based on what wins and loses in this league

I do think its odd that they fire malone without any real plan in mind to make the situation better? or atleast thats what appears to be the case

Chronz
12-15-2014, 01:56 PM
yes but sitting there and repeatedly giving the roster/ coaching staff a pass wasnt exactly working either over the last 8 or 9 yrs. the front office is trying to emphasize that winning is a priority in the organization
That's just as blind imo. The same coach hasnt been here throughout that span so i don't see how that correlates here.

Facts are, they've changed coaches before, still no playoffs.

Emphasizing winning would depend on their actions afterwards and the rationale before hand.

I'm not seeing any rational argument for the change from what's been reported, in fact, i feel the opposite (stressing defense frowned upon?). This Will depend on their replacement. If it's vinny then ill lol on the winning front.

JLynn943
12-15-2014, 02:30 PM

Except that we've been through 500 head coaches in that time span. This was the first one to get the team playing like a possible playoff team and the first to get through to and have a good relationship with Cousins. You lose those facts when all you do is look at win-loss.

JLynn943
12-15-2014, 02:31 PM
That's just as blind imo. The same coach hasnt been here throughout that span so i don't see how that correlates here.

Facts are, they've changed coaches before, still no playoffs.

Emphasizing winning would depend on their actions afterwards and the rationale before hand.

I'm not seeing any rational argument for the change from what's been reported, in fact, i feel the opposite (stressing defense frowned upon?). This Will depend on their replacement. If it's vinny then ill lol on the winning front.

All of this.

That we are actively trying to put less focus on defense sounds like the most backwards logic I've ever heard. I want D'Alessandro fired if that's the case.

ink
12-15-2014, 02:34 PM
Lol they wont make the playoffs regardless. They were probably overachieving...

That FO is delusional.

Insane. He's a huge contributor to their success.

TrueFan420
12-15-2014, 03:18 PM
Wow I had to double take at this title. Was like, did I just read that or am I drunk.

Dumb move. They're finally relevant and they fire the coach that got Rudy Gay to play effiecent and the best we've ever seen boogie.

jp611
12-15-2014, 03:26 PM

I guarantee it was because Malone didn't want to implement that dumb *** 4-on-5 defensive game plan w/ a cherry picker. Because now they're going to.

Different owner, same ****.

ballallday
12-15-2014, 04:05 PM
Wow I had to double take at this title. Was like, did I just read that or am I drunk.

Dumb move. They're finally relevant and they fire the coach that got Rudy Gay to play effiecent and the best we've ever seen boogie.

As a raptor fan, I recommend trading Rudy gay and watch your team flourish... Just look at the Grizzlies it worked for them too!

jp611
12-15-2014, 04:07 PM
As a raptor fan, I recommend trading Rudy gay and watch your team flourish... Just look at the Grizzlies it worked for them too!

Gay had actually been playing better for the Kings, especially when Boogie was there to make them a top 5 defense.

The Kings are going to be terrible as long as they have Ranadive as their owner. He has too much say in the teams FO. Owners trying to manage teams is not good. Especially when they think playing w/ a cherry picker is something that could work in the NBA.

Baltoro
12-15-2014, 04:28 PM
I'm not sure what grandiose expectations the FO had going into the season. But currently they're 2 games under .500, .5 games out of 8th in the toughest conference in the league AND without their best player. Malone didn't get a fair shake. They had to learn NEW offensive sets to compensate for Boogie being out. That's unheard of mid season.

InRoseWeTrust
12-15-2014, 04:53 PM
Tinfoil hat time:

Vivek: Mike, our first rounder is only top 10 protected this year. Start losing games to ensure we get to keep our pick.

Mike: Hell to the no, Ranadive!

Vivek: Fine, you're fired. And to make sure we lose those games, we're going to let Corbin stay on allllll year.

Mike: Damn you, Vivek! Damn you!

Sactown
12-15-2014, 06:11 PM
Worst franchise in the league, came out they intended to fire him this entire season telling assistant coaches they'd have a shot soon.. Dirtiest thing I've seen... I expected this **** from the Maloofs, but not new management.. Been a Kings fan for over a decade and I'm thinking about giving it up.. Hard to root for a team when you are disgusted with everything they stand for.. #ANOTHER-MALOOF..

abe_froman
12-15-2014, 06:34 PM
i feel bad for kings fans

Crackadalic
12-15-2014, 06:41 PM
And Rudy just sign that extension smh.

b_russ
12-15-2014, 06:50 PM
Too bad, I liked Mike Malone. Maybe I'm oversimplifying things, but doesn't this seem pretty similar to the Warriors firing Mark Jackson? While trying to not let my dislike for Mark Jackson cloud my opinion of the situation, it seems like there's some comparisons to both situations. Both teams were experiencing success compared to previous years, new ownership, the coach wasn't necessarily ownership's idea and the teams' style of play wasn't to the liking of the ownership, both teams set a certain standard and left the coach no room to falter.

The Warriors bringing on Kerr has really worked out well so far, but the timing may have been more ideal given the offseason seemed to provider more options to pick from. No one is really coming to mind for a replacement that would provide a positive impact particularly keeping Cousins in mind. If they're planning on riding out Corbin for the rest of the year (nice guy but) coming from a Jazz fan good luck with that.

DemarDerozan
12-15-2014, 10:05 PM
Wow. There has to be some shady Isiah Thomas/James Dolan type **** going on in that FO.

Malone is a damn good coach. The ownership must be hitting the reset button. Why sign Boogie and Gay to extensions though if they are pulling the plug this early?

No way in hell Cousins settles for another three seasons of mediocrity, this team is hungry and wants to win.

TrueFan420
12-16-2014, 12:04 AM

I'm a warriors fan not a kings fan. And Rudy has been fantastic for them. Malone had him playing some very solid ball. And he cut out a lot of the bad shots and became more effiecent.

LA_Raiders
12-16-2014, 12:09 AM
If they want to tank, just let shaq coach.

JLynn943
12-16-2014, 12:30 AM
George Karl wants to coach here. The fact that anyone, let alone a hall of fame coach, is willing to deal with this completely inept ownership and GM is baffling. If we don't jump on this we're nuts.

Chronz
12-16-2014, 12:35 AM
Worst franchise in the league, came out they intended to fire him this entire season telling assistant coaches they'd have a shot soon.. Dirtiest thing I've seen... I expected this **** from the Maloofs, but not new management.. Been a Kings fan for over a decade and I'm thinking about giving it up.. Hard to root for a team when you are disgusted with everything they stand for.. #ANOTHER-MALOOF..

Do Wat i did. Become a fan of the nba, appreciate your home team for nothing except giving you a chance to watch all these great athletes. If one day they happen to embody things you appreciate, jump back in. There. is nothing worse than a die hard fan imo

Chronz
12-16-2014, 12:36 AM
George Karl wants to coach here. The fact that anyone, let alone a hall of fame coach, is willing to deal with this completely inept ownership and GM is baffling. If we don't jump on this we're nuts.

Hof coaches can still be overrated. But gk would be a great get.

Chronz
12-16-2014, 12:40 AM
Too bad, I liked Mike Malone. Maybe I'm oversimplifying things, but doesn't this seem pretty similar to the Warriors firing Mark Jackson? While trying to not let my dislike for Mark Jackson cloud my opinion of the situation, it seems like there's some comparisons to both situations. Both teams were experiencing success compared to previous years, new ownership, the coach wasn't necessarily ownership's idea and the teams' style of play wasn't to the liking of the ownership, both teams set a certain standard and left the coach no room to falter.

The Warriors bringing on Kerr has really worked out well so far, but the timing may have been more ideal given the offseason seemed to provider more options to pick from. No one is really coming to mind for a replacement that would provide a positive impact particularly keeping Cousins in mind. If they're planning on riding out Corbin for the rest of the year (nice guy but) coming from a Jazz fan good luck with that.
Not even remotely similar imo. Mj was holding his team back, that a rookie coach who actually paid attention to his Assistants is outdoing him is a testament that.

JLynn943
12-16-2014, 12:45 AM
Hof coaches can still be overrated. But gk would be a great get.
Oh, I agree completely. I'm not even saying I think Karl is as good as his reputation (but I definitely still like him), and I'm concerned he and Cousins won't mesh, but at this point we need to go for it. Maybe free agents won't totally write is off then, too.