PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Hornets explore Stephenson trade

Cal827
12-14-2014, 07:55 PM
Charlotte Hornets swingman Lance Stephenson becomes eligible to be traded Monday and his new team is indeed exploring its options to move him, according to league sources.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Hornets, just 23 games into the Stephenson era, have already begun the process of searching for potential trade partners that would be willing to take the talented but enigmatic former Indiana Pacer off their‎ hands.

Although sources say no deal involving Stephenson is imminent, Monday is the first day that players signed to new contracts in July are eligible to be dealt, which typically triggers what teams leaguewide regard as "trade season" over the next two months leading into the annual February trade deadline.

One factor that could ultimately lead to a deal, despite Stephenson's ragged and discouraging start, is the fact that the three-year, $27 million deal he received over the summer from Charlotte owner Michael Jordan is only guaranteed through next season. The third year of the deal is not guaranteed, which theoretically enhances Charlotte's chances of finding another team willing to gamble ‎on the mercurial swingman.

Sources say that the Hornets are not in a move-him-at-all-costs mode with Stephenson but made it clear that Charlotte is ready now to abandon the experiment if a palatable deal presents itself.

Stephenson has quickly proved to be a poor fit alongside the Hornets' established core twosome of Al Jefferson and Kemba Walker, shooting 38.9 percent from the floor overall and 8-for-48 percent on 3-pointers during Charlotte's 6-17 start.

Projected by many NBA prognosticators to move up the Eastern Conference ladder this season after going 44-38 in 2013-14 to claim the East's No. 7 seed under first-year coach Steve Clifford, Charlotte ranks as one of the league's most disappointing teams through the first quarter of the schedule.

The Hornets followed up a double-overtime loss Friday night in Memphis with a 27-point home defeat Saturday to the Brooklyn Nets, who are in the midst of their own potential upheaval after ESPN.com reported earlier this week that the Nets had made it be known throughout the league that former All-Stars Deron Williams, Brook Lopez and Joe Johnson are all available via trade.

On Dec. 1, Grantland's Zach Lowe reported that the Hornets "have been aggressive making trade calls" and "are willing to talk turkey on basically anyone other than" Jefferson and Walker.

Clifford said recently that some of Stephenson's struggles to adjust to new surroundings in Charlotte stem from the fact that too much was expected after the 24-year-old spurned a five-year, $44 million from the Pacers to stay in Indiana to sign a shorter deal with the Hornets.

"To be fair, one of the things that's made it more difficult for him is that he came here and people proclaimed him as the next superstar," Clifford said. "He's not a star. He's a guy that has talent to become a star. To be a star in this league, you have to do it over years."

On multiple occasions already this season, Clifford has sat Stephenson in the fourth quarter because of concerns about poor spacing and lack of ball movement in the Hornets' offense. Charlotte recently endured a 10-game losing streak, with Stephenson yet to relocate the consistency that enabled him to lead the league in triple-doubles last season with the Pacers.

via: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12028590/charlotte-hornets-explore-lance-stephenson-trade

I know that the forum has brought this up recently how he's struggling to adapt to the Hornets, but it's kinda surprising that they would openly shop him already (at least I think so). Do you guys think it's a system issue? Also, if he's traded, where do you think he'll be sent to? The guy can still be a pretty good SG.

GodsSon
12-14-2014, 07:57 PM
Dude is a cancer, so that means the Knicks will step up to the plate lol.

Nikeman
12-14-2014, 08:25 PM
Call me crazy, I personally think a Stephenson for Deng swap would significantly help both Miami and Charlotte.

NBA_Starter
12-14-2014, 08:26 PM
This is so stupid, fire Clifford he is the real problem and we see it now that half of the league is not tanking!

WVNowitzki
12-14-2014, 08:55 PM

He's been a piece of trash his whole career. He was an ******* at Cincinnati and clearly hasn't changed.

marjon
12-14-2014, 09:29 PM
Call me crazy, I personally think a Stephenson for Deng swap would significantly help both Miami and Charlotte.

Your not crazy...but I just don't think that would be fair market value strictly due to age and ceiling... Me personally, give me a Lance Stephenson for Harrison Barnes swap. I think both would flourish in those respective teams systems... win-win in my opinion

rockets-fan
12-14-2014, 10:10 PM
Haha some people said they would take him over Harden this summer smh

Kaner
12-14-2014, 10:52 PM
Your not crazy...but I just don't think that would be fair market value strictly due to age and ceiling... Me personally, give me a Lance Stephenson for Harrison Barnes swap. I think both would flourish in those respective teams systems... win-win in my opinion

Their market values were established months ago. Deng 2/20 and Stephenson 3/27, age and ceiling were factored into those deals. Difference is Deng has been living up to his contract.

Anyway the heat wouldn't go for that deal, I think Pat's made it clear that he wants as little money on the books as possible for 2016.

Cracka2HI!
12-15-2014, 12:49 AM
He may be such a bad guy that he's a total cancer. As a fan you can never really know. On a good team I can see being like Ron Artest. In theory he'd be a good fit on the Clippers. They could trade either Reddick or Hawes for him(I'd prefer Hawes). They could include Farmer to match salary.

Sadds The Gr8
12-15-2014, 12:53 AM
Not surprising....he's a cancer and there's rumours that the team is annoyed with him. Coach clearly doesn't like him.

JasonJohnHorn
12-15-2014, 01:21 AM
Shooting aside, he rebounding and passing the ball well. He has his highest per36 numbers in both categories and his best assists-to-turnover ratio.

You get that shooting back up to where it should be, and he's an All-Star.

My suggestion is to call up Indy.. they know what to do with him there.

The real problem is that Walker isn't much of a point guard. They should have moved him or let him walk. He's as much of a problem as Stephenson in my opinion.

They should have spent the money they needed to to keep McRoberts. That much is for sure.

RaiderKid318
12-15-2014, 01:37 AM
Wouldn't mind him on the pels depending on what we would have to trade.

moshy2
12-15-2014, 02:23 AM

Bad idea for the Warriors. This team has some of the best chemistry in the league. Stephenson is a problem in the locker room and on the floor. Last year? Yeah I'd probably take the locker room risk as a 6 seed and how each of them looked but no way Indiana takes it. This year Barnes is back to starting and looking comfortable, Stevenson has been playing poorly, and we are 21-2.

Clippers make a ton of tactical sense but I feel like they're in the same boat as the Warriors. Nets and Pacers are the others rumored to have "kicked the tires". I don't think the Pacers will do it at all. The Nets could be a good destination at the right price. Someone will find him very useful.

smith&wesson
12-15-2014, 02:57 AM
Id like to see him on the pelicans.

Holiday
Stephenson
Evans
Davis
Asik

Sadds The Gr8
12-15-2014, 04:38 AM

Holiday
Stephenson
Evans
Davis
Asik
Him, jrue, and Reke would clash like crazy. Could never see that backcourt having good chemistry. He's already struggling with walker...

SF8
12-15-2014, 04:53 AM

Holiday
Stephenson
Evans
Davis
Asik

Hornets aren't gonna take on Eric Gordon's awful contract just to dump Stephenson.

beasted86
12-15-2014, 09:04 AM

I wouldn't want that move without them adding in another piece. Giving them Deng is giving Jordan a get out of jail free card from what looks to be the worst fit ever and a terrible contract.

Stephenson and Biyombo for Deng and Cole

king4day
12-15-2014, 09:18 AM
I wouldn't want that move without them adding in another piece. Giving them Deng is giving Jordan a get out of jail free card from what looks to be the worst fit ever and a terrible contract.

Stephenson and Biyombo for Deng and Cole

Charlotte probably does that even without Cole coming back (though I'm sure they accept him too).

king4day
12-15-2014, 09:19 AM
I hope Charlotte doesn't' budge and offer a 1st just to offload that contract. You need to do whatever is necessary to build up his value and get something. Even if it's in the offseason.

beasted86
12-15-2014, 09:27 AM
Charlotte probably does that even without Cole coming back (though I'm sure they accept him too).
Cole sucks, and in all honesty, Shabazz has outplayed him even with spotty defense and turnovers at times. If I were the HEAT, I'd be a little reluctant to make that trade being that Stephenson has just been 'that bad' offensively and Deng has been solid overall, but not quite the defender he used to be.

This trade is basically made for more defense and rebounding, and a little shot blocking from Bismack. If Lance can turn around his offense, great... But otherwise this is a move to sure up the defense a little and get us to the summer of 2016 where they would likely decline Lance's final year team option.

Corey
12-15-2014, 01:38 PM

If I'm GSW, I wouldn't touch a single thing right now.

JWO35
12-15-2014, 02:16 PM
Josh Smith for Lance Stephenson

smith&wesson
12-15-2014, 02:31 PM
Hornets aren't gonna take on Eric Gordon's awful contract just to dump Stephenson.

I dont recall suggesting Eric Gordon. I do however think Ryan Anderson could do the trick.

nycericanguy
12-15-2014, 02:33 PM
I hope Charlotte doesn't' budge and offer a 1st just to offload that contract. You need to do whatever is necessary to build up his value and get something. Even if it's in the offseason.

How would you feel about a Shump+JR+ Jason Smith for Lance deal?

I think CHA is missing McRoberts this season too, and Jason Smith is the same kind of player.

mudvayne387
12-15-2014, 02:46 PM

I'd do it in a heartbeat. What's the worst than can happy, they lose even more games and end up with a higher pick ?

JR Smith +Larkin + 2nd if they really want him gone that bad ...

lurkinglionsfan
12-15-2014, 02:50 PM
[QUOTE=JWO35;29393294]Josh Smith for Lance Stephenson[/QU

Sounds like a dream to get rid of smith

likemystylez
12-15-2014, 02:53 PM
Josh Smith for Lance Stephenson

salary doesnt work... but that could help both teams

JordansBulls
12-15-2014, 02:53 PM
Trade him to Golden State for Klay

JWO35
12-15-2014, 04:22 PM
salary doesnt work... but that could help both teams

Trade Machine says Yes :shrug:
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=nnoyjgs

But if I was the Pistons I would take back Marvin Williams too if needed
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=p9awor7

Baltoro
12-15-2014, 04:42 PM
Dude is straight poison.

Charlotte needs to make a move. They've got too much talent on that team to not be doing better. Addition by subtraction for the Hornets. Maybe they can swing a deal that would bring in some shooting.

Not sure who would want to bite on that trade though.

Couple posters suggested the Knicks but I don't think you want that kind of evil on your plate.

AlixGx
12-15-2014, 07:08 PM
Does anybody remember this?
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5467630
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/lance-stephenson-indiana-pacers-nba-player-arrested-pushing-girlfriend-stairs-article-1.204174
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/16013189

Stephenson was accused of groping a 17-year-old girl during an incident last October and was facing up to six months in jail on the misdemeanor sexual assault charge.

The 6-foot-5 rookie point guard's cowardly shove sent Williams - the mother of Stephenson's child - tumbling headfirst down 10 steps, requiring her to be treated at a hospital for injuries to her head and neck, cops said.

Anyways, he sexually abuses this girl and says "We just want to move on and think about college," and 1 year later he pushes his girlfriend down a flight of stairs. I don't think this guy will ever learn his lesson or drop his ego.

AIRMAR72
12-15-2014, 07:23 PM
he's been a piece of trash his whole career. He was an ******* at cincinnati and clearly hasn't changed.correct!!

mRc08
12-15-2014, 07:38 PM
Probably wouldn't do it but taj and snell for lance? We need a wing player with McBuckets out and with the way miro has been playing taj is becoming more dispensable. I think salaries may even match. Thibs would either get him straight or murder him. Still, I don't want any of it

MTar786
12-15-2014, 11:00 PM
if the clippers could trade for him they would get a lot better. he needs to be on a team that doesnt rely too heavily on him. he is still a great defender, good at his position and athletic. great for the clips imo

tp13baby
12-15-2014, 11:34 PM
Word is Denver has been linked to him. Not really excited about the thought. Denver has some guys that can really help a team with team friendly deals.

Wilson Chandler, Faried, Mozgov, Afflalo all could be on the trade block.

Cracka2HI!
12-15-2014, 11:41 PM
if the clippers could trade for him they would get a lot better. he needs to be on a team that doesnt rely too heavily on him. he is still a great defender, good at his position and athletic. great for the clips imo

I hate to say it because I do think he's a bad guy with poisonous possibilities. The Clippers also swung and missed in FA with Spencer Hawes and Jordan Farmar. I think that trade would help both teams. I agree that Lance wouldn't be asked to do anything on offense for the Clippers except run and stand in the corner. He could be effective in that role. He's still really young. In the right situation I can see him as a young Ron Artest. Artest before the brawl in Detroit. That would be an amazing get for the Clippers if they only gave up Hawes and Farmar. I also heard a rumor the Clippers are talking to Jermaine O'Neal today. He would seem to be a replacement for Hawes.

Chavacano
12-16-2014, 01:55 PM
Do it, Mitch... oh wait.