PDA

View Full Version : 80s / 90s Pistons

KnicksorBust
12-14-2014, 02:17 AM
Could they even exist now? Let alone win 2 Chips.

Crunch Time
12-14-2014, 02:20 AM
pussification of the nba

Shady66
12-14-2014, 03:05 AM
No lol suspensions every other game. They would have to adjust a lot

abe_froman
12-14-2014, 03:24 AM
:laugh:obviously ,they couldnt.i cant imagine the league allowing anyone to clothesline lebron or anything anymore

slashsnake
12-14-2014, 04:40 AM
A team that made Rodman look normal... Nope. Not today.

JasonJohnHorn
12-14-2014, 07:19 AM
Of course they could.

First off, people go gaga over a guy like Carmelo Anthony today: Mark Aguire was a FAR better player and he was the THIRD option on that team. I mean, Melo is admittedly a better rebounder, and better 3-pt shooter on is career, but scoring mid-range and iso plays, Aguirre had a much higher 2p%, and he could get to the line almost as much. Frankly, neither guy is somebody I want as my cornerstone, but Agruirre could thrive as a third or fourth options and there were no problems.

Then you got Isiah Thomas, who is likely a top-five point guard all time. The only guys in the conversation above him are Magic, Teh Big O, Payton, CP3, Nash and Kidd. That is elite company. Among point guards today, he'd easily be competing with CP3 as the best.

Dumars was a great leader and shooter and one of the best defenders at his position all time.

Then you got Vinnie Johnson, who was an amazing scorer.

I mention these guys first, because they weren't the 'bad boys' of the team. Thomas and Dumars were great defender and scorers, but neither was knocking guys down on their way to the basket.

But after those guys you have Rodman, Laimbeer, two AMAZING rebounders, defense aside, and though Laimbeer wasn't a great shot blocker, if you put a guy in the post against him, he had long arms and knew how to slap the ball away before the shot even went up. That didn't get counted on stat sheets, because it would normally go out of bounds, or the player would have to chase the ball and leave the post,but it always ate up the clock and it always worked defensively. Then you had Rodman who was DPOY twice, sliding over, taking charges....

And on top of that you have Edwards and Mahorn (Mahonr, who mind you, knew how to make Shaq look liked a fool when he was defending him even though Mahorn was 38 or 39 and Shaq was in his prime. Shaq would throw his back at Mahorn (offensive foul) and Mahorn would let Shaq do it once, twice, and then pull the chair out on him and watch Shaq fall.... took him right out of his game. Few guys could make Shaq look like a fool that way.

That team would tear the league up right now. Especially with a coach like Daly.

Obviously the way the game is called they have to adjust their aggressiveness, but people act like that they won championship by close-lining people. That is NOT the case. Larry Bird closed line people, Kareem broke his forearm smashing another player's forearms. What the Pistons did was a response to how hard other teams were playing. It wasn't the aggression that won them games, it was skill. This is like asking if Larry Bird and Dr. J could play today just because they got into shoving matches and fist fights. YES!! THEY COULD!!!

MonroeFAN
12-14-2014, 07:31 AM
^they beat the living hell out of whoever they played. No one is arguing the talent level, but that wasn't even basketball. You have it the other way around btw, other players were responding to Detroit's physical play.

slashsnake
12-14-2014, 08:36 AM
^they beat the living hell out of whoever they played. No one is arguing the talent level, but that wasn't even basketball. You have it the other way around btw, other players were responding to Detroit's physical play.

I was more thinking of the other stuff, talent-wise they were great. maybe a bit slow and small for today, but that's modern training and such there. Had that group grown up today, to play today no issues there.

I just think whatever ownership tried to build that team would be under too much scrutiny to see it through today. Don't know that their mentality would work in today's NBA where everyone is friends off the court. They were always on the edge of going too far and imploding (part of what made them so good, pushing it to the limit), but I think in todays game, with the media attention on and off the court, it wouldn't work anymore. I do miss it though.

JasonJohnHorn
12-14-2014, 09:30 AM

Bird vs. Dr. J: Nobody from Detroit was on the court:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4oF34p3-rQ

If you think people were responding to Detroit, you have a warped view of how the game was played back then. Yes, Detroit's style influenced Chicago and New York, but Detroit was doing what they had to do to respond to teams like the Celtics and the 76ers who were dominating the before Detroit's rise.

Want more?

McHale vs. Rambis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7r6vXeOfyQ

That was the game back then. If you weren't willing to go toe-to-toe with Bird and McHale on their terms, you were not going to win the series.

Detroit won because they were talented, not because they were hard.

Then there was LAL vs. Houston in the regular season: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgqUZ1IAA_8
And that was just the regular season...

Here's more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e3C-LQWF2s

Check out this top ten fights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsctt9xKk6s

You'll notice how physical the the Boston/Rockets final in 1986 was, predating the Bad Boys. Also, the Knicks Bulls fight post Bad Boys.

You'll notice that the Pistons barely even make an appearance in that top-ten fights list, but the Celtics have three spots.

I don't know how old you are, but I watched games back then. The Pistons didn't invent rough defense. They perfected it. They were responding to the way the league was.

And yes, that WAS basketball. Magic Johnson himself said that the Pistons were the most talented team he ever played against and said that it was a miracle the beat them in 88.

Learn the history of the game and don't go by reputation.

JasonJohnHorn
12-14-2014, 09:33 AM
Double post.

IndyRealist
12-14-2014, 10:57 AM
That was not just the Pistons, that was the era. The Knicks, Pacers, and Celtics all played that way. Maybe 3 years ago the Pacers went with that style of play, pushing the rules to the limits of physicality and daring the refs to foul out the entire team. They bumped, shoved, and knocked down anyone that got into the paint, and by the 3rd quarter teams would be shooting 20ft jumpers. It was as much psychological warfare as it was physical. The refs let them play EXTREMELY physical, and I'm a bit confused why the Pacers stopped. Teams HATED playing the Pacers at the time, and it was very effective.

A tiny bit further back, the 2008 championship Celtics did the EXACT same thing. People say their trademark was teamwork and sacrifice, but it really was beating the crap out of the other guy and dare the refs to call it. That's who the Pacers were modeled after.

Shammyguy3
12-14-2014, 02:05 PM
They'd be very good and easily in the playoffs every season, irregardless of how weak the East is right now. However, I really doubt they'll have as much success for a couple of reasons:

1) the physicality they played with would lead to sooooo many free throw attempts
2) those Pistons were god-awful at shooting the ball from 3 point land: in '88 they shot 28.7% and made less than 1 three a game (which was actually 19th best % in the league!); in '89 they shot 30.0% and made only 1.5 threes a game (again, 19th best % in the league); in '90 they shot 32.7% (13th best) and only made 2.2 a game.

The defenses of today with these bigger, athletic point guards like Westbrook, Rose, Lowry, Wall would give Thomas/Dumars great difficulty, and the overall rotation defense reigns superior to anything in the 80s. Factor that in with NO three point shooters, and that's a recipe for disaster if you ask me.

Imagine them going up against a team like the Warriors right now with all of their spacing, or the Spurs or Blazers. I don't think they'd win 2 championships, definitely not. Maybe win 1, but they'd have a lot to make a lot of adjustments like the league has over the past 20+ years understanding the efficiency of the game.

JasonJohnHorn
12-14-2014, 06:06 PM
They'd be very good and easily in the playoffs every season, irregardless of how weak the East is right now. However, I really doubt they'll have as much success for a couple of reasons:

1) the physicality they played with would lead to sooooo many free throw attempts
2) those Pistons were god-awful at shooting the ball from 3 point land: in '88 they shot 28.7% and made less than 1 three a game (which was actually 19th best % in the league!); in '89 they shot 30.0% and made only 1.5 threes a game (again, 19th best % in the league); in '90 they shot 32.7% (13th best) and only made 2.2 a game.

The defenses of today with these bigger, athletic point guards like Westbrook, Rose, Lowry, Wall would give Thomas/Dumars great difficulty, and the overall rotation defense reigns superior to anything in the 80s. Factor that in with NO three point shooters, and that's a recipe for disaster if you ask me.

Imagine them going up against a team like the Warriors right now with all of their spacing, or the Spurs or Blazers. I don't think they'd win 2 championships, definitely not. Maybe win 1, but they'd have a lot to make a lot of adjustments like the league has over the past 20+ years understanding the efficiency of the game.

Three-point shot is a good point, but the 3-point line was further out back then. They brought it in, so some of those guys would be able to knock them down.

As for 'big' point guards. Zeke took it to Magic. Magic is 6'9. Westy is 6'3. I'm pretty sure Zeke could handle that.

CP3 is the same height as Zeke and he's rank as the best point guard in the league by a lot of people... so... I'm not sure size is an issue here.

The Lakers only have 2 guys that could hit 3's back then: Scott and Green, and between them, they took less three's than some players in the league take... It was just a different approach.

Besides, Laimbeer was one of their 3-point shooters.... he would have made problems for centers today who struggle to defend the perimeter.

PurpleLynch
12-14-2014, 06:20 PM
I don't know how they would play in today's Nba,but I'm sure that flopping wouldn't be a problem no more.
Can you imagine a player like Harden(or the long list of chronic floppers in this league) getting in Bad Boys Pistons paint? They would get murdered(at least),that's the answer.

Phantom Dreamer
12-14-2014, 06:28 PM
Three-point shot is a good point, but the 3-point line was further out back then. They brought it in, so some of those guys would be able to knock them down.

As for 'big' point guards. Zeke took it to Magic. Magic is 6'9. Westy is 6'3. I'm pretty sure Zeke could handle that.

CP3 is the same height as Zeke and he's rank as the best point guard in the league by a lot of people... so... I'm not sure size is an issue here.

The Lakers only have 2 guys that could hit 3's back then: Scott and Green, and between them, they took less three's than some players in the league take... It was just a different approach.

Besides, Laimbeer was one of their 3-point shooters.... he would have made problems for centers today who struggle to defend the perimeter.The 3 point line is the same distance now as it was then. It was only brought in for 3 seasons, 1994-95-1996-97 and moved back again in 1997-98.

Hawkeye15
12-14-2014, 06:50 PM
no. They would have sent the other team to the line all the time, and couldn't shoot at all from long range.

But, make a few tweaks, and they would be awesome now. I do wonder if a guy like Laimbeer has the same impact today, where you can't use your physicality as much on incoming wings/guards, but overall, a lot of people are acting like it was a UFC fight back then. It's just as physical down low now, you just can't cheap shot or maul anymore. The perimeter defense is where it is harder to be physical nowadays, but Thomas/Dumars were quick, and Rodman could cover wing scorers if necessary in today's NBA

JasonJohnHorn
12-14-2014, 09:08 PM
The 3 point line is the same distance now as it was then. It was only brought in for 3 seasons, 1994-95-1996-97 and moved back again in 1997-98.

True... true... I got mixed up there.

Still... the 3-point line was relatively knew (it wasn't even 10 years old at the time), so coaches hadn't incorporated it as much.

JasonJohnHorn
12-14-2014, 09:19 PM
no. They would have sent the other team to the line all the time, and couldn't shoot at all from long range.

But, make a few tweaks, and they would be awesome now. I do wonder if a guy like Laimbeer has the same impact today, where you can't use your physicality as much on incoming wings/guards, but overall, a lot of people are acting like it was a UFC fight back then. It's just as physical down low now, you just can't cheap shot or maul anymore. The perimeter defense is where it is harder to be physical nowadays, but Thomas/Dumars were quick, and Rodman could cover wing scorers if necessary in today's NBA

This Detroit roster was AMAZING. They beat Bird's Celtics, Magic's Lakers and Jordan's Bulls. Nobody today is going to suggest that those three teams wouldn't be able to compete today, so why would the Pistons not be able to compete if they managed to beat all three teams.

Laimbeer didn't have to be 'physical' to defend any more than Rodman. Sure, these guys would have to adjust for certain calls, but so would Jordan, or Magic, or bird, or McHale, or Kareem (Kareem, McHale and Bird especially; those guys would go HARD on people).

My attitude is that nobody would suggest that Bird, Magic and Jordan's teams would be able to contend today, so why wouldn't the team that beat all three of them be able to? Fouls or no. Only two of those guys averaged over 3 fouls a game, and those were guys Daly would send out to commit fouls late in the game. You look at Houston this year, they got 3 guys averaging 3 or more a games. How would Detroit's foul numbers be worse than that?

Talented plays like can adjust their game. You got to remember, those guys were instructed to foul when somebody had a clear path to the basket because the rules were different then. That is like 3-5 fouls a game for the team that get wiped away because the coach doesn't tell them to do it because the opposing team gets possession and the shots. Rules change... their averages won't be as high.

bottom line, those guys not only had AMAZING defenders, they have phenominal scorers on that roster as well: Thomas, Aguirre, Johnson and Dumars... not to mention a stretch C/PF in Laimbeer and solid post scored like Sally and Edwards that could both get the better of a lot of guys one-on-one.

This team is widely regarded as one of the best ever. I find it shocking that so many people underestimate this roster and see them as punching their way to two straight titles, three straight NBA finals and five straight conference finals.

Jeffy25
12-14-2014, 09:51 PM
They could, they just wouldn't have been allowed to develop themselves as rough as they were.

Dumars and Isiah would have still led that team. I dunno about two chips though. Honestly, probably none. But they would have at least made some ECF still to play the Celtics and Bulls

Hawkeye15
12-14-2014, 10:10 PM
This Detroit roster was AMAZING. They beat Bird's Celtics, Magic's Lakers and Jordan's Bulls. Nobody today is going to suggest that those three teams wouldn't be able to compete today, so why would the Pistons not be able to compete if they managed to beat all three teams.

Laimbeer didn't have to be 'physical' to defend any more than Rodman. Sure, these guys would have to adjust for certain calls, but so would Jordan, or Magic, or bird, or McHale, or Kareem (Kareem, McHale and Bird especially; those guys would go HARD on people).

My attitude is that nobody would suggest that Bird, Magic and Jordan's teams would be able to contend today, so why wouldn't the team that beat all three of them be able to? Fouls or no. Only two of those guys averaged over 3 fouls a game, and those were guys Daly would send out to commit fouls late in the game. You look at Houston this year, they got 3 guys averaging 3 or more a games. How would Detroit's foul numbers be worse than that?

Talented plays like can adjust their game. You got to remember, those guys were instructed to foul when somebody had a clear path to the basket because the rules were different then. That is like 3-5 fouls a game for the team that get wiped away because the coach doesn't tell them to do it because the opposing team gets possession and the shots. Rules change... their averages won't be as high.

bottom line, those guys not only had AMAZING defenders, they have phenominal scorers on that roster as well: Thomas, Aguirre, Johnson and Dumars... not to mention a stretch C/PF in Laimbeer and solid post scored like Sally and Edwards that could both get the better of a lot of guys one-on-one.

This team is widely regarded as one of the best ever. I find it shocking that so many people underestimate this roster and see them as punching their way to two straight titles, three straight NBA finals and five straight conference finals.

who said any of those old teams wouldn't compete? They would just have to make some slight roster adjustements to match todays game..

JasonJohnHorn
12-15-2014, 01:15 AM
who said any of those old teams wouldn't compete? They would just have to make some slight roster adjustements to match todays game..

That's my point. Nobody said that, and nobody would. So why would anybody say that about the Pistons team that beat all three of those dynasties in one year?

MonroeFAN
12-22-2014, 01:49 PM
Bird vs. Dr. J: Nobody from Detroit was on the court:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4oF34p3-rQ

If you think people were responding to Detroit, you have a warped view of how the game was played back then. Yes, Detroit's style influenced Chicago and New York, but Detroit was doing what they had to do to respond to teams like the Celtics and the 76ers who were dominating the before Detroit's rise.

Want more?

McHale vs. Rambis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7r6vXeOfyQ

That was the game back then. If you weren't willing to go toe-to-toe with Bird and McHale on their terms, you were not going to win the series.

Detroit won because they were talented, not because they were hard.

Then there was LAL vs. Houston in the regular season: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgqUZ1IAA_8
And that was just the regular season...

Here's more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e3C-LQWF2s

Check out this top ten fights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsctt9xKk6s

You'll notice how physical the the Boston/Rockets final in 1986 was, predating the Bad Boys. Also, the Knicks Bulls fight post Bad Boys.

You'll notice that the Pistons barely even make an appearance in that top-ten fights list, but the Celtics have three spots.

I don't know how old you are, but I watched games back then. The Pistons didn't invent rough defense. They perfected it. They were responding to the way the league was.

And yes, that WAS basketball. Magic Johnson himself said that the Pistons were the most talented team he ever played against and said that it was a miracle the beat them in 88.

Learn the history of the game and don't go by reputation.

Dear god Bruce Springstein, don't bust a gasket. If that WAS basketball, then BASKETBALL was a joke and I'm glad I didn't watch it. PS: why is "Magic Johnson said it" the end all to any argument on here? The guy has said some of the dumbest things I've ever heard in my life. He once said Rodney Stuckey was the next best guard.