PDA

View Full Version : Looking at the standings a quarter of the way through the season.

Vampirate
12-13-2014, 11:49 AM
It looks like the Western Conference standings may be solidifying.

In the West everything but the 8th seed seems locked up in terms of making the playoffs and it seems inevitable at this time that Okc will overtake Pheonix eventually.

In the East, it appears there are only 5 teams that matter as it looks like whoever gets the 6-8th seed are done in the 1st round. At this point I think it'll be a dog fight to not get the 4th or 5th seed as that will be a tough 1st round for both teams of that seed.

Disclaimer: This is just an observation based on what has happened and does not take into consideration of any injuries or sudden unexpected rise or fall of any particular teams in the future.

jerellh528
12-17-2014, 02:02 AM
Okc is playin like the best team in the NBA now that kd and westy are back. 7 straight wins and gaining momentum

JV35
12-17-2014, 02:07 AM
Golden State's for real.

Goose17
12-17-2014, 03:07 AM
I don't understand what you mean by "locked up" in the West. There are 6-7 teams that look like they will definitely make the playoffs but in terms of seeding there's very little between them right now.

The current first seed warriors could easily be the 4th seed in a weeks time.

The west is intense.

TrueFan420
12-17-2014, 03:35 AM
I don't understand what you mean by "locked up" in the West. There are 6-7 teams that look like they will definitely make the playoffs but in terms of seeding there's very little between them right now.

The current first seed warriors could easily be the 4th seed in a weeks time.

The west is intense.

I think he means locked up that they'll be in the playoffs but not locked up order

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-17-2014, 08:02 AM
Bucks are 6th seed at the moment. We beat Grizzlies and Clippers and Suns and Heat and lost close games to Cavs and Mavs. I think Bucks are a sleeper team. Sucks Parker got injured but we're so deep as a team. We still have Inglis and JOB yet that didn't play a game yet as rookies. They should be back from injuries within a month. Bucks probably granted hardship injury player roster spot as well with injuries to Inglis, JOB, Ersan, Henson, Parker. Plus we have $7.3M in capspace so we could be buyers at the trade deadline.

tredigs
12-17-2014, 08:16 AM
Bucks are 6th seed at the moment. We beat Grizzlies and Clippers and Suns and Heat and lost close games to Cavs and Mavs. I think Bucks are a sleeper team. Sucks Parker got injured but we're so deep as a team. We still have Inglis and JOB yet that didn't play a game yet as rookies. They should be back from injuries within a month. Bucks probably granted hardship injury player roster spot as well with injuries to Inglis, JOB, Ersan, Henson, Parker. Plus we have $7.3M in capspace so we could be buyers at the trade deadline.

Sleeper for what though? They're pretty fun to watch (well, less so no without Parker), but they're about as average as you get. Slightly above average D, slightly below average O. Thanks to being in the East they'll get to .500 and earn themselves a first round knockout. Not a very significant chance of advancing to the 2nd round. Definitely a brighter future than some others, though.

And yeah, the West is locked up (as far as those who will make it) once OKC joins the 8 seed later this week (God that didn't take long, did it?).

Goose17
12-17-2014, 09:14 AM
I'm still not convinced OKC are a lock for the 8th seed.

JasonJohnHorn
12-17-2014, 09:20 AM
It's hard to tell what's what in the NBA right now.

Trades are just about to open up. Players may get injured, and players will return. Plus teams are finding their way still (namely Cleveland).

If Allen goes with GSW, and Lee returns, that is like adding two All-Stars to the best team in the league. Depending on chemistry, that may just end the season right there. But an ankle injury to Stephen Curry would take that team out of contention (god forbid).

The Clippers are still a great team and seem to be pulling their act together, and OKC has been unstoppable since KD and Westy returned, and KD isn't even in full form yet.

Then there are trades. And injuries. Mid-season trades have made a huge impact the last few seasons, but it could, especially if teams like BK and Charlotte have fire sales and give players away for expiring contracts and picks. Injuries, though, have been hurting playoff teams big time for the last few seasons. GSW losing Lee, LAC losing Blake, OKC missing Westy and Ibaka. Chicago losing D-Rose. Those injuries completely changed the playoffs.

It seems like if healthy, OKC, LAC and GSW are the favorites in the West (though nobody should count out the Spurs). In the east, it seems like though Toronto has the best record and ATL is playing well, it will come down to Chicago and Cleveland with a distinct edge going to Cleveland assuming their are healthy and Chicago is not.

The only think I would say for sure is that the NBA finals will be held in the Western Conference finals this year and that the NBA finals will just be a formality.

Goose17
12-17-2014, 09:57 AM
If you put a gun to my head and forced me to make a prediction...

East:

1. Toronto 52-30
2. Atlanta 51-31
3. Washington 51-31
4. Cleveland 50-32
5. Chicago 50-32
6. Miami 40 - 42
7. Milwaukee 40-42
8. Orlando 37-45

West

1. Memphis 63-19
2. Golden State 62-20
3. LA Clippers 57-25
4. Portland 53-29
5. Houston 51-31
6. San Antonio 51-31
7. Dallas 51-31
8. OKC or New Orleans (44-38)

Disclaimer; The W/L is just a rough estimate I was focusing more on the seeding. I know people are going to be questioning my lack of faith in OKC and why I think Dallas are going to fall off a little. But it is what it is.

I wouldn't dare say I (or anyone) can predict the West accurately, it's wild, there's no way of really knowing.

mightybosstone
12-17-2014, 10:09 AM
I'm still not convinced OKC are a lock for the 8th seed.

Me neither.... I think they're going to end up a lot higher than the 8th seed. Hell, all it took them to climb within a 1/2 game of the 8th seed was like 2-3 weeks of Westbrook and Durant being healthy. That's it. They still have 57 games left to play and they're only 7 games out of the No. 3 seed right now. By season's end, my guess is that they'll end up with a seed somewhere in the 4-6 range.

valade16
12-17-2014, 10:12 AM
^ Goose

The only way I can see anyone thinking OKC won't make the playoffs is if they believe KD or Westy will get hurt again, otherwise there's absolutely no way they miss.

They are 1/2 game out of the playoffs at the moment. Short of injuries they are a lock.

mightybosstone
12-17-2014, 10:20 AM

East:

1. Toronto 52-30
2. Atlanta 51-31
3. Washington 51-31
4. Cleveland 50-32
5. Chicago 50-32
6. Miami 40 - 42
7. Milwaukee 40-42
8. Orlando 37-45

West

1. Memphis 63-19
2. Golden State 62-20
3. LA Clippers 57-25
4. Portland 53-29
5. Houston 51-31
6. San Antonio 51-31
7. Dallas 51-31

Disclaimer; The W/L is just a rough estimate I was focusing more on the seeding. I know people are going to be questioning my lack of faith in OKC and why I think Dallas are going to fall off a little. But it is what it is.

I wouldn't dare say I (or anyone) can predict the West accurately, it's wild, there's no way of really knowing.

Two things about this. First, you're way, way off on OKC. They're 7-1 since Durant came back. For them to go 44-38, they'd have to go only 32-25 the rest of the way. That's a 56.1% win percentage for a team that posted a 72% win percentage last year. The only way that happens is if Westbrook and/or Durant go down again. If they're healthy, they'll top 50 wins.

You're also way off on Houston. They've started 18-5 with Dwight missing half the games and a ton of other players missing significant time. To go 51-31, they'd have to end the season with a 33-26 record. Why would a team with the third best record in the league despite major injuries end up in a three-way tie for the league's seventh best record once it gets healthy? I don't buy that at all.

Edit: And I just saw your record for Cleveland. I don't agree with that either. Consider that since the Cavs started 5-7, they've gone 9-2 with one of those losses coming against OKC without Lebron on the floor. I still think the Cavs end up with the best record in the East and at least 55 wins.

ClutchTime
12-17-2014, 10:26 AM
Two things about this. First, you're way, way off on OKC. They're 7-1 since Durant came back. For them to go 44-38, they'd have to go only 32-25 the rest of the way. That's a 56.1% win percentage for a team that posted a 72% win percentage last year. The only way that happens is if Westbrook and/or Durant go down again. If they're healthy, they'll top 50 wins.

You're also way off on Houston. They've started 18-5 with Dwight missing half the games and a ton of other players missing significant time. To go 51-31, they'd have to end the season with a 33-26 record. Why would a team with the third best record in the league despite major injuries end up in a three-way tie for the league's seventh best record once it gets healthy? I don't buy that at all.

You nailed it. I see the Thunder moving up as high as 5 and Houston going down to 6. Thunder look real good now with the 2 beast boys back.

mightybosstone
12-17-2014, 10:48 AM
You nailed it. I see the Thunder moving up as high as 5 and Houston going down to 6. Thunder look real good now with the 2 beast boys back.

Mmm... I think you misinterpreted my post. I'm not saying that Houston is going to win fewer than 51 games. I'm saying they're going to win way more than that. If they stay healthy, there's no reason the Rockets don't finish with 55+ wins and a top 4 seed.

Goose17
12-17-2014, 10:52 AM
The thunder are 7-1 against who? Detroit. Philly. Minny. Milwaukee. Cleveland. Phoenix. Sacramento.

That's three lotto teams (Philly,Minny,Detroit) two of whom are the worst and second worst teams in the entire league. Milwaukee who are barely in playoff contention in the East. Cleveland without Lebron and Sacramento without Cousins and an interim coach.

The only teams they've played since Durants return that are worth noting are Phoenix and New Orleans. They only won one of those games.

Sorry. I don't buy it. Any playoff team in the West could go 7-1 against that lot.

But like I said anyone who thinks they know anything about the West are tripping. It's too unpredictable. Anything could happen.

And I already said I knew people would question my decision. It is what it is. Nobody can predict it with a y real accuracy. Not the wild wild west. No way.

Goose17
12-17-2014, 10:54 AM
And you don't have to agree with my rankings mbt. I didn't post them for people to agree with. Just sharing my thoughts. You're allowed to disagree. Nothing wrong with that. I clearly stated I didn't like predicting right now but if I absolutely had to, that's what I would go with. Why don't you post your full predictions anyway?

Don't pretend that you disagreeing makes me wrong though. The west is unpredictable there is no right or wrong here. Just speculation.

dalton749
12-17-2014, 11:04 AM
The top of the east will be better than 52 wins. Even with Toronto they would have to go 33-21 the rest of the way. Without derozan they're still 6-3 and there's just to many punching bag teams left at the bottom.
Someone should at least push high 50s

valade16
12-17-2014, 11:11 AM
^ Goose

It's not who they have played it's the fact that they are 1/2 game out of the 8th seed and virtually already have the same record as the Pelicans and the Suns. Which of those teams do you think is better than OKC?

I also don't understand how you can look at that record with doubts when they've won at or near 60 games for like the last 4 seasons. It's inexplicable.

To say we don't know what will happen in the West is mostly accurate. However, I know with 100% certainty that if Westy and KD are healthy the Thunder make the playoffs. They are a lock. If you thought they weren't gonna make it because of injuries OK, maybe, but to say even when healthy they won't make it is insanity.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-17-2014, 11:54 AM
The thunder are 7-1 against who? Detroit. Philly. Minny. Milwaukee. Cleveland. Phoenix. Sacramento.

That's three lotto teams (Philly,Minny,Detroit) two of whom are the worst and second worst teams in the entire league. Milwaukee who are barely in playoff contention in the East. Cleveland without Lebron and Sacramento without Cousins and an interim coach.

The only teams they've played since Durants return that are worth noting are Phoenix and New Orleans. They only won one of those games.

Sorry. I don't buy it. Any playoff team in the West could go 7-1 against that lot.

But like I said anyone who thinks they know anything about the West are tripping. It's too unpredictable. Anything could happen.

And I already said I knew people would question my decision. It is what it is. Nobody can predict it with a y real accuracy. Not the wild wild west. No way. Since when is 6th seed playoffs barely contention?

Goose17
12-17-2014, 12:18 PM
Since when is 6th seed playoffs barely contention?

Since they were only two games better than the 8th seed... and in the East. Since they were 4 games ahead of the 9th seed and a key player (albeit a rookie) just went down for the entire season. Since they were 19th in SRS.

^ Goose

It's not who they have played it's the fact that they are 1/2 game out of the 8th seed and virtually already have the same record as the Pelicans and the Suns. Which of those teams do you think is better than OKC?

I also don't understand how you can look at that record with doubts when they've won at or near 60 games for like the last 4 seasons. It's inexplicable.

To say we don't know what will happen in the West is mostly accurate. However, I know with 100% certainty that if Westy and KD are healthy the Thunder make the playoffs. They are a lock. If you thought they weren't gonna make it because of injuries OK, maybe, but to say even when healthy they won't make it is insanity.

I'm just saying I'm personally not convinced. They've had a very easy schedule and lost a lot of games early on when the dynamic duo were sidelined, so now the second half of their schedule is going to be brutally difficult.

I think they can make the playoffs and probably will, I'm just not convinced they're a "lock". They could be the 6th seed when it's all over. They could be the 9th. IMO, it's not certain. And something can only be a "lock" when it's 100% certain.

tredigs
12-17-2014, 01:44 PM
OKC is a lock. Durant is still rounding back into form and they already look like a top 3 team in the game. Easy competition? Sure, but they're easily crushing them as contenders do. You think New Orleans is at their level going forward??? lmfao. Come on man. The Thunder's +/- is already above the Pels middling +0.7. That should tell you all you need to know.

I actually predict they'll pass the Rockets and Dallas by seasons end as well, though that will clearly be much harder. But, yeah, there's no scenario outside of another huge OKC injury where they don't have a playoff spot locked up. You say it's "impossible to predict in the Wild Wild West", but really there's only 8 very good to elite teams. Barring injury, after seeing the first Q+ of the season it's honestly very easy to predict. Especially considering OKC will have fresh legs later in the season.

mjt20mik
12-17-2014, 01:51 PM
Bearing any major injury in the west, OKC is not gonna catch the top 7 teams. I don't think any of those seven go on a major losing steak that would make OKC catch up.

That being said, I would love to watch a first round GS vs OKC matchup.

tredigs
12-17-2014, 01:56 PM
Rox are a great team and Harden has carried an impressive load, but they've flat out won a few more games than they should have. All their losses are by 4 or more, while they have a handful of games that they've won in the last minute or in OT. Maybe their offense gets back to their previously high standard with everyone in, but they've really been weak on that side of the ball this year. It's all D that's carried them through this stretch. So if I'm forced to pick one team out of the vicious SouthWest to fall back a bit (to around 53 wins or so), I'd reluctantly choose them or Dallas (one whose offense does not look good, and another whose D does not look good).

tredigs
12-17-2014, 01:58 PM
Bearing any major injury in the west, OKC is not gonna catch the top 7 teams. I don't think any of those seven go on a major losing steak that would make OKC catch up.

That being said, I would love to watch a first round GS vs OKC matchup.
I really don't see why not. A full season for a top team in the league to catch up 5 games? Seems more likely than not that they'll catch one of 'em. Still might be matched up with GSW at the 7 seed, though. Or 6 for that matter. From an entertainment aspect that series would be incredible. They were already playing each other as competitively as anyone last year. Couple buzzer beaters between them.

Sly Guy
12-17-2014, 02:07 PM
tbh I expect my raptors to fall from 1st to second or even 3rd by the end of the season

Goose17
12-17-2014, 02:57 PM
OKC is a lock. Durant is still rounding back into form and they already look like a top 3 team in the game. Easy competition? Sure, but they're easily crushing them as contenders do. You think New Orleans is at their level going forward??? lmfao. Come on man. The Thunder's +/- is already above the Pels middling +0.7. That should tell you all you need to know.

I actually predict they'll pass the Rockets and Dallas by seasons end as well, though that will clearly be much harder. But, yeah, there's no scenario outside of another huge OKC injury where they don't have a playoff spot locked up. You say it's "impossible to predict in the Wild Wild West", but really there's only 8 very good to elite teams. Barring injury, after seeing the first Q+ of the season it's honestly very easy to predict. Especially considering OKC will have fresh legs later in the season.

Did you predict our 16 game winning streak? Did you predict Houston doing so well without Dwight? Did you predict the Kings hot start? The Clippers struggling?

Keep telling yourself it's predictable. I'll keep believing the truth. It's completely unpredictable and anything can happen. The west is in a golden age for competitiveness.

cdnsportsfan
12-17-2014, 03:22 PM
The top of the east will be better than 52 wins. Even with Toronto they would have to go 33-21 the rest of the way. Without derozan they're still 6-3 and there's just to many punching bag teams left at the bottom.
Someone should at least push high 50s

Agreed, the winner of the East will have more than 52 wins. I expect Cleveland will likely take the conference, if DeRozan comes back sooner than later Toronto will put up a fight but even then they may still come up short.

The Raps have started on fire and yes, they will cool off (especially over their upcoming Christmas/World Juniors road trip), but agreed about the lower teams helping to keep that record up there. Toronto still plays their division 13x(PHI, BOS, NYK, BKLYN) this season, as well as both the Pistons and Hornets 4x apiece. The Raps will slip at times, teams don't win every game they're favoured in they may give up a couple of these. But those 21 games should help keep their record higher in the rankings.

I know, just another example of the crappy East, but it is what it is this year!

LAKERS4LIFE!!
12-17-2014, 03:51 PM
I would have loved to see the record of the Thunder with a healthy team at the start of the year. Westbrook is playing ridiculous and KD will soon be as well.

mightybosstone
12-17-2014, 03:57 PM
And you don't have to agree with my rankings mbt. I didn't post them for people to agree with. Just sharing my thoughts. You're allowed to disagree. Nothing wrong with that. I clearly stated I didn't like predicting right now but if I absolutely had to, that's what I would go with. Why don't you post your full predictions anyway?

Don't pretend that you disagreeing makes me wrong though. The west is unpredictable there is no right or wrong here. Just speculation.
I'm not saying my disagreeing with you makes you wrong. You could very well be right. But when I'm making predictions about something, I try to make the most educated guess possible based on the information in front of me and the historical data that backs it up. Based on what we're looking at right now, I think you've misranked some teams and underestimated the win totals of some squads.

But to be fair, I always say that if you're going to criticize someone, you should allow yourself to open to criticism. So here are my own predictions based on where we're at so far:

EAST
1. Cleveland (56-58 wins)
2. Toronto (52-54 wins)
3. Atlanta (48-50 wins)
4. Chicago (48-50 wins)
5. Washington (46-48 wins)
6. Miami (42-44 wins)
7. Brooklyn (40-42 wins)
8. Milwaukee (40-42 wins)

WEST
1. Memphis (60-62 wins)
2. Golden State (60-62 wins)
3. Houston (58-60 wins)
4. LA Clippers (56-58 wins)
5. San Antonio (54-56 wins)
6. Oklahoma City (52-54 wins)
7. Portland (52-54 wins)
8. Dallas (50-52 wins)

mightybosstone
12-17-2014, 04:00 PM
Rox are a great team and Harden has carried an impressive load, but they've flat out won a few more games than they should have. All their losses are by 4 or more, while they have a handful of games that they've won in the last minute or in OT. Maybe their offense gets back to their previously high standard with everyone in, but they've really been weak on that side of the ball this year. It's all D that's carried them through this stretch. So if I'm forced to pick one team out of the vicious SouthWest to fall back a bit (to around 53 wins or so), I'd reluctantly choose them or Dallas (one whose offense does not look good, and another whose D does not look good).

This is all true, but you're leaving out a pretty huge fact, which is that the Rockets have dealt with more injuries of any good team in the league outside of the Thunder. You say that the Rockets won more games than they should have because they've played close games. I say the Rockets played more close games than they should have because they were without Dwight Howard and a number of other rotational players for many of those close games.

tredigs
12-17-2014, 10:18 PM
Did you predict our 16 game winning streak? Did you predict Houston doing so well without Dwight? Did you predict the Kings hot start? The Clippers struggling?

Keep telling yourself it's predictable. I'll keep believing the truth. It's completely unpredictable and anything can happen. The west is in a golden age for competitiveness.

The truth that you believe you know nothing? Sure, I'll buy that. Preseason projections is one thing, but the writing is on the wall with this conference. Only sisignificant injury changed the clear top 8.

Goose17
12-18-2014, 03:05 AM
The truth that you believe you know nothing? Sure, I'll buy that. Preseason projections is one thing, but the writing is on the wall with this conference. Only sisignificant injury changed the clear top 8.

Haha. The truth that the west is in a golden age of competitiveness and completely unpredictable.

Okay. Post your final seedings and record. I'll bookmark the post and come back at seasons end to see your 100% accurate prediction come true...

tredigs
12-18-2014, 03:29 AM
Haha. The truth that the west is in a golden age of competitiveness and completely unpredictable.

Okay. Post your final seedings and record. I'll bookmark the post and come back at seasons end to see your 100% accurate prediction come true...
The actually seedings and record is not the argument. The argument (mine, at least), is that the top 8 are set.

The Warriors, Spurs, Blazers, Mavs, Rox, Thunder, Clippers and Grizzlies are the 8 playoff teams. Book(mark) it.

JEDean89
12-18-2014, 03:51 AM
^^^ this is correct. the nuggets, suns, kings and pelicans aren't quite there. next year is gonna be bat **** nuts. All 4 of those teams will be better, and all 8 of the current playoff team should still be good. Utah and Minnesota are stacked with young talent and will be adding top lottery talent. It's frightening to think of and meanwhile the East doesn't look like it's going anywhere fast.

valade16
12-18-2014, 10:40 AM
I'm going to assume most people think Portland is a fluke who will promptly fall to the bottom of the West?

It's only been 2 years of being wrong, wouldn't want to change your opinion now.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-18-2014, 12:03 PM
Since they were only two games better than the 8th seed... and in the East. Since they were 4 games ahead of the 9th seed and a key player (albeit a rookie) just went down for the entire season. Since they were 19th in SRS.

Yeah Parker is Bucks future star. But he's not the best we got as of right now. We've had tons of injuries. Ersan got injured when he was on fire other wise we would of won the Cavs game. They barely beat us by 3. Mavs squeaked by with buzzer beater first game. Bucks still beat Suns and Clippers and Grizzlies out west. We been in almost every game this year other then a few games. Ersan and Henson and Inglis should be back soon. We just got JOB back last night.

tredigs
12-18-2014, 01:41 PM
I'm going to assume most people think Portland is a fluke who will promptly fall to the bottom of the West?

It's only been 2 years of being wrong, wouldn't want to change your opinion now.

Definitely not with their newly found relationship with the defensive end. That's why I never bought into them as a contender (which you essentially have to be to make the West playoffs), but they're showing a serious commitment as an all around team this season. Surprised me for sure. You figure some team in the conference had to fall off.

Sanjay
12-18-2014, 07:19 PM

East:

1. Toronto 52-30
2. Atlanta 51-31
3. Washington 51-31
4. Cleveland 50-32
5. Chicago 50-32
6. Miami 40 - 42
7. Milwaukee 40-42
8. Orlando 37-45

West

1. Memphis 63-19
2. Golden State 62-20
3. LA Clippers 57-25
4. Portland 53-29
5. Houston 51-31
6. San Antonio 51-31
7. Dallas 51-31

My rankings would be similar. To create some discussion: The Hawks have had a great start and are in the East so it is possible they could finish as high as the second seed, but what about Atlanta makes you believe they can be consistent? Many people are predicting the Grizzlies will be a top 2 seed in the West, although their offense is producing early on, I never thought they had the offensive power to be that successful especially in the regular season. Finally, I am assuming everyone is placing the Spurs around the sixth seed because they will be resting players until the playoffs, but they did this last year and had the best record in the league.

TylerSL
12-18-2014, 08:19 PM
Miami has to get better defensively or we could actually finish under .500 and get bounced early. :/